PDA

View Full Version : Turkish-made BCG's?

Slater
12-09-22, 19:22
I'm going to guess that nobody's rolled the dice on this one yet:

https://brg-usa.com/brg-usa-556mm-nato-bolt-carrier-group

georgeib
12-09-22, 20:01
I really don't understand the thinking behind products like this. There are a probably a half dozen extremely viable US made options in the same price range, why would anyone roll the dice on something like this? Even if it was free.

Microbest, AO Precision, Toolcraft, heck I'd take a PSA over this. Am I missing something here?

SteveL
12-09-22, 21:53
That would be a hard pass for me. I see nothing at all appealing about that BCG.

Diamondback
12-10-22, 03:24
When I can get more for less with Toolcraft, WHY? Just WHY?

lysander
12-10-22, 06:25
You have a factory in Turkey that has made a lot of parts for the Turkish military. Now, the Turkish Army scaled back their orders, so what do you do?

Find some other place to peddle your wares . . . .

People buy Caniks and Tisases, why not other things?

Slater
12-10-22, 06:31
Quality debate aside, considering the current strength of the dollar you'd think that this BCG would be much cheaper.

DoubleW
12-10-22, 11:16
Anything made in Turkey is a hard pass. I don’t care what it is. I see zero reason to buy anything from them. And frankly, I wish the gun industry would quit pushing all this garbage coming from there.

Slater
12-10-22, 11:24
Anything made in Turkey is a hard pass. I don’t care what it is. I see zero reason to buy anything from them. And frankly, I wish the gun industry would quit pushing all this garbage coming from there.

To each their own obviously, but handguns from Tisas, Girsan, Sarsilmaz, and Canik have garnered a reputation for solid performance at a reasonable price. Of course, the Turks just take established designs, add a tweak here and there, and avoid most R&D expenses.

Their shotguns appear to be a bit more iffy, though.

DG23
12-10-22, 13:01
To each their own obviously, but handguns from Tisas, Girsan, Sarsilmaz, and Canik have garnered a reputation for solid performance at a reasonable price. Of course, the Turks just take established designs, add a tweak here and there, and avoid most R&D expenses.

Their shotguns appear to be a bit more iffy, though.

This is not what I would call a 'reasonable price' for some crap they copied.

And screw their handguns too... Why 'copy' a Beretta if not all of the Beretta replacement parts will work with the 'copy'? Good luck finding those proprietary replacement parts from them.

Be the guinea pig here and buy one for yourself. Test it out and post up your results.

DG23
12-10-22, 13:05
Quality debate aside, considering the current strength of the dollar you'd think that this BCG would be much cheaper.

How in the hell is my dollar 'strong' when my groceries are costing me 25% MORE than they did a year ago?

Slater
12-10-22, 13:39
This is not what I would call a 'reasonable price' for some crap they copied.

And screw their handguns too... Why 'copy' a Beretta if not all of the Beretta replacement parts will work with the 'copy'? Good luck finding those proprietary replacement parts from them.

Be the guinea pig here and buy one for yourself. Test it out and post up your results.

I've got two Canik TP9's, each was around $315.. They seem serviceable enough.

Slater
12-10-22, 13:41
How in the hell is my dollar 'strong' when my groceries are costing me 25% MORE than they did a year ago?

On the foreign currency exchange. The dollar/Euro ratio approached 1:1 recently. It's great if you're going to Europe on vacation, not so good for the reverse.

GH41
12-11-22, 16:38
I love these "Country of origin threads". For all we know Colt imports BCGs from Bum F--k Egypt! I'll bet my last dollar that Colt doesn't manufacture anywhere near 100% of the parts they assemble a rifle with!

Slater
12-11-22, 17:46
From my understanding, Colt is largely an assembly house these days.

GH41
12-11-22, 18:41
Anyone can buy a quality machining center from western Europe, plug the right program in, and using the right material can make a to spec part. It ain't rocket science! I could do it in my garage if the price was right. It really wouldn't matter where my garage is.

lysander
12-12-22, 10:03
Anyone can buy a quality machining center from western Europe, plug the right program in, and using the right material can make a to spec part. It ain't rocket science! I could do it in my garage if the price was right. It really wouldn't matter where my garage is.
Well, it's a bit more than that.

You have to have the right guys do the programing, set up the machine correctly, design the holding fixtures, load the fixtures properly, get the correct tooling*, monitor things like tool wear, and gauge the produced parts, and tweak the programs.

Then there is the heat treat, post heat treat grinding, and other clean-up operations.

Yes, it is easier to set up manufacture with a few CNC machines, but it's not quite "anybody" yet.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
* Contrary to popular belief, there are quite a few non-standard cutters for an AR . . .

Stickman
12-12-22, 10:57
I was recently shown a new BCG coming from a known good MFG. I'm much more willing to put my money into a company I know and trust than I am an overseas company regardless of price, though in this case a $100 BCG from a Turkish company makes me wonder if they are familiar with the market at all.

For clarity, the new BCG I mentioned in NOT an import, it is made in the US from a well known US good guy company.

Diamondback
12-12-22, 11:04
Even a foreign company from a "team player" country ranks higher than doing business with a semi- or fully hostile power. Turkey under Wannabe Caliph Erdogan isn't exactly a team player despite NATO membership.

CRAMBONE
12-12-22, 12:27
Blah. I try not to spend my money with the Turks or the Pakis. Just a personal rule after having worked with and around both populations.

titsonritz
12-12-22, 13:49
Yeah, I'm all over it. :fie:

GH41
12-12-22, 15:28
Even a foreign company from a "team player" country ranks higher than doing business with a semi- or fully hostile power. Turkey under Wannabe Caliph Erdogan isn't exactly a team player despite NATO membership.

Do you buy American made products? I wouldn't call Biden a team player.

georgeib
12-12-22, 16:04
Do you buy American made products? I wouldn't call Biden a team player.

Touché!

Diamondback
12-12-22, 17:14
Nice try, but buying Home Team is different. Besides, about $75 for a Toolcraft C158 at Arm Or Ally if you time it right is "why bother elsewhere?"

Tony617
12-12-22, 20:05
I have not built an ARs for a while but then I did I would buy a BCM BCG and never had any issues with them. I did buy a couple of Toolcraft BCG and put one on my gun range AR. Seems to work pretty well but now I am only up to 600 rounds with that Toolcraft BCG.