PDA

View Full Version : Do people still build "M4geries"?

OutofBatt3ry
12-10-22, 19:03
With all the modern "high-speed" stuff, I feel like they've gone out of fashion.

I built this one early in the year; haven't shot it much...essentially a new gun but I think it looks great.

All Aero Precision except the quad rail, that's a DD EZcar, well used from the era. (Couldn't find a RAS at the time, but close enough). Also 14.5" P/W with the extended BCM A2 FH. This was also my first time pinning to 16" myself. The barrel was cheap enough, if I botched it, no big loss. It came out ok. I weld, but just with a mig for typical automotive stuff. Precision work, I send out.

https://i.imgur.com/hz0dTgD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GZq0O3P.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/t0OrlWk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/K39rGzL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QrIfKgd.jpg

12-10-22, 19:07
I too, do my P/W setups at a body shop.

GTF425
12-10-22, 19:11
I'm literally sipping bourbon and cleaning a clone of the M4 I carried on my last deployment.

They're still plenty popular.

12-10-22, 19:19
I'm literally sipping bourbon and cleaning a clone of the M4 I carried on my last deployment.

They're still plenty popular. short of a sling and tie-downs, does it look like this?

GTF425
12-10-22, 19:30
short of a sling and tie-downs, does it look like this?

Close.

https://i.imgur.com/KlQ8Vi8_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

OutofBatt3ry
12-10-22, 19:32

They're still plenty popular.

You just reminded me I need to clean my carry gun. (I used to love cleaning guns..now it's a chore. Bleh)

I can't do brown liquor. I keep it 2003.

https://i.imgur.com/IY4Zlhf.jpg

12-10-22, 19:40
Goddamn Wild Tiger. I can’t beat that.

12-10-22, 19:45
You just reminded me I need to clean my carry gun. (I used to love cleaning guns..now it's a chore. Bleh)

I can't do brown liquor. I keep it 2003.

https://i.imgur.com/IY4Zlhf.jpg

Early-mid 2000s were beautiful. I loved those years. I was invincible back then. The equipment was simple and effective. The vodka-Red Bulls flowed. I got a few for free.

hotbiggun42
12-10-22, 19:46
Damn that is a work of art!

Send it...
12-10-22, 19:47
6720 might not be a forgery, but its still a great stick!

GTF425
12-10-22, 20:13
You just reminded me I need to clean my carry gun. (I used to love cleaning guns..now it's a chore. Bleh

In true clone fashion; nothing beats weapons maintenance way past any reasonable hour to be doing so while simultaneously nursing a BAC > 0.

Nice rifle, by the way.

GTF425
12-10-22, 20:13
Goddamn Wild Tiger. I can’t beat that.

Wild Tiger- it makes you see sound.

titsonritz
12-10-22, 20:34
I'm working changing a 6920 to M4A1 Block 2'ish version with a 14.5" SOCOM barrel, Daniel Defense RIS II FDE FSP, LMT stock, Geissele SSA trigger. I haven't decided on/picked up an optic yet and am current using a carry handle but have a KAC rear sight ready when I figure it out. I'll most likely deviate slightly and go the Surefire 3 prong WarComp, Geissele bolt catch and Airborne charging handle

chuckman
12-10-22, 20:38
Hell yeah! I want the SOPMOD I was issued. It was a great rifle.

AndyLate
12-10-22, 21:39
I have a M4gery/tribute gun. Not super correct, except for the KAK panels, broomhandle, MaTech and A2 grip. LMT SPM14 with a Troy drop-in quad rail, LMT waffle stock, and AP PRO.

Put it together to remind me what service rifles looked like when I retired.

Andy

https://i.imgur.com/mNlcDys.jpg

markm
12-11-22, 07:18
Not really intentional M4gery guns, but SOCOM M4 set ups from the Ode to the SOCOM thread.

These are the guns I shoot every weekend right now.

https://i.imgur.com/BZjLKgS.jpg

12-11-22, 08:05

GTF425
12-11-22, 10:52

War guns are the best guns.

12-11-22, 18:18
War guns are the best guns.

They don’t even have to be great or special or anything. There’s just a special bond that comes with violence. What you see in this picture, is literally whatever gun; any gun will do. Its just a gun. But I cherished that gun. Its an old friend that I hope to see again.

When you live with a rifle in a violent place and do the things, it just hits different.

chuckman
12-11-22, 18:40
They don’t even have to be great or special or anything. There’s just a special bond that comes with violence. What you see in this picture, is literally whatever gun; any gun will do. Its just a gun. But I cherished that gun. Its an old friend that I hope to see again.

When you live with a rifle in a violent place and do the things, it just hits different.

I wish this site had a "love" emoji...

Waylander
12-11-22, 19:37
This one started out life as a block 1.5 clone but varies a little.

https://i.ibb.co/R9byLCD/77-D47-D97-13-DB-44-E3-9-ABA-9-A384727-B7-AF.jpg

The_War_Wagon
12-11-22, 19:42
I haven't built one since the Tide pod kidz inspired me a few years ago.

12-11-22, 20:09
……..delete

markm
12-11-22, 20:14
This one started out life as a block 1.5 clone but varies a little.

Gorgeous. I'm not at all about the cloning thing, but the basic M4 is certainly what I'm back to right now.

Circle_10
12-11-22, 20:35
My primary “house carbine” is a pretty unremarkable M4gery
https://i.imgur.com/o8w42zi.jpg

Waylander
12-11-22, 21:01
Gorgeous. I'm not at all about the cloning thing, but the basic M4 is certainly what I'm back to right now.

Thanks. It’s just hard to beat classics. I’m not a cloner really, the pieces just kinda fell into place. The PRO isn’t my favorite optic but it works.

mrbieler
12-12-22, 12:36
This one started that way, but then drifted a little.
https://i.imgur.com/Av5NOYI.jpg

utahjeepr
12-12-22, 12:43

Yup. Certain things just kinda get "hard wired" into your psyche. I first got my fingers wet in the back seat of an Olds Cutlass. I've had a soft spot for that model all my life. It ain't about the car.

ETA: To quote from FMJ "We are jolly green giants walking the earth, with guns!" It's about you, and you being the "jolly green giant".

markm
12-12-22, 13:00
Thanks. It’s just hard to beat classics. I’m not a cloner really, the pieces just kinda fell into place. The PRO isn’t my favorite optic but it works.

I have a 30mm mount in need of an Aimpoint. I don't mind a PRO, but not at full retail price. I can't find a C3 or Comp M3 anywhere. I can't believe it.

Waylander
12-12-22, 13:38
I have a 30mm mount in need of an Aimpoint. I don't mind a PRO, but not at full retail price. I can't find a C3 or Comp M3 anywhere. I can't believe it.

You can blame the cloner autists for a lot of things not being available. [emoji23]

It’s like that old model tan Eotech they are no longer making that was being issued with SOPMOD 1.5. If you can even find one in decent shape, the prices people are asking are ridiculous.

I’m lucky I grabbed two RAS hand guards a couple of years ago.

markm
12-12-22, 14:32
You can blame the cloner autists for a lot of things not being available. [emoji23]

It’s like that old model tan Eotech they are no longer making that was being issued with SOPMOD 1.5. If you can even find one in decent shape, the prices people are asking are ridiculous.

I’m lucky I grabbed two RAS hand guards a couple of years ago.

No doubt. I'd expect to see at least one pop up on Gunbroker or something though. It's not like they didn't sell a million of them.

GTF425
12-12-22, 14:59
No doubt. I'd expect to see at least one pop up on Gunbroker or something though. It's not like they didn't sell a million of them.

None of them work anymore.

markm
12-12-22, 15:23

:sarcastic:

I've only changed a battery on mine one time. Like a year ago.

OutofBatt3ry
12-12-22, 18:15

I wonder if Eotech will repair the old ones. I heard of some pretty old ones getting rebuilt recently. I'm an Eotech fanboy, but house guns are generally Irons or something that I can leave on for at least a year, For everything else, the EXPS is my favorite sight.

Todd.K
12-12-22, 18:50
Don’t we have a vintage forum for you people with FSBs?

ABNAK
12-12-22, 19:36
I wonder if Eotech will repair the old ones. I heard of some pretty old ones getting rebuilt recently. I'm an Eotech fanboy, but house guns are generally Irons or something that I can leave on for at least a year, For everything else, the EXPS is my favorite sight.

I agree 100%. If EOTech could only produce a RDS with the reliability and battery life of the Aimpoint they'd sell a metric shit-ton of 'em. I love the FOV and reticle.

OutofBatt3ry
12-12-22, 19:49

https://img.memegenerator.net/instances/32646439.jpg

lol

556Cliff
12-12-22, 20:01

Hey now, barrel mounted FSBs are far superior in every way and rail mounted front sights are kinda lame.

As a step into the future, this should be enjoying the popularity that low pro gas blocks currently have...

https://i.imgur.com/LY4XlECl.jpg https://i.imgur.com/n96C8xgl.jpg

markm
12-12-22, 20:02
I agree 100%. If EOTech could only produce a RDS with the reliability and battery life of the Aimpoint they'd sell a metric shit-ton of 'em. I love the FOV and reticle.

Man I have an EPS, but never really have a special desire to run it. I don't dislike it at all, but I still don't get the love guys have for the Eotech.

GTF425
12-12-22, 20:40

Hey ya'll don't say that

TehLlama
12-12-22, 20:52

In basically the same boat, my stupid CMMG SOCOM profile 14.5" upper happens to be one of my best shooting setups all around, even with the now dated TA31RCO on top of it, I can drive that thing about as well as my technically superior stuff that costs double, just because I'm pretty used to it, and the balance of that dumb turd is just right with a UBR and big two-cell WML on it.

OutofBatt3ry
12-12-22, 21:40
Man I have an EPS, but never really have a special desire to run it. I don't dislike it at all, but I still don't get the love guys have for the Eotech.

For me? The giant window and it is by far my most acurate rds. I attriubute that to its <MOA dot and very low paralax.

TehLlama
12-15-22, 14:16
For me? The giant window and it is by far my most acurate rds. I attriubute that to its <MOA dot and very low paralax.

Agreed - if I was looking to pair something with a flip-to-side magnifier, it's a bit of a no-brainer. it works well, just wish it had the rest of the package to go with it (durability, battery life, etc.)

12-15-22, 14:23
They do pair very well with magnifiers, with a smaller percieved dot under magnification, and some models having a BDC.

markm
12-15-22, 14:50
Never tried a Eotech (or any dot style sight for that matter) with a magnifier.

12-15-22, 15:09
Never tried a Eotech (or any dot style sight for that matter) with a magnifier.
I suspect that you wouldn’t be into it, except maybe for zeroing.

I like them quite a bit, as a CQB rig that can stretch a little. Its the inverse of a LPVO, with a lot of overlap. I use it with an Aimpoint most of the time on a 12.5”.

markm
12-15-22, 15:53
I suspect that you wouldn’t be into it, except maybe for zeroing.

I like them quite a bit, as a CQB rig that can stretch a little. Its the inverse of a LPVO, with a lot of overlap. I use it with an Aimpoint most of the time on a 12.5”.

I'd love to try one. Our "cheat" is that we shoot the same targets at the same distance all the time. So I don't have any sort of Target ID before I shoot. I can hit 500 yards with an aimpoint in rice paddy prone because I've memorized the hold over.

Now if I had to ID the target as a shoot/no shoot, I'd be worthless with no magnification.

yellowfin
12-18-22, 17:48
This thread gives me a momentary craving to buy a KAC NT4 to put on one and complete the nostalgia.

Todd.K
12-18-22, 22:25
Find a sweet bungee single point sling to really up those nostalgic feelings when doing transitions.

MA2_Navy_Veteran
12-19-22, 00:53
I think one of the biggest reasons you don't see many M4/A4 clones anymore is that the KAC & P&S M4/M5 rail assemblies used to build such clones are basically unobtainium now, or priced well beyond the average cloners willingness to purchase, and the same goes for many of the standard accessories that were used such as the PEQ-2A IR laser. Even the old (and practically useless) Surefire M951s (especially the wide-body versions) are either non existent or ridiculously over-priced when available.

It's sad really, but I think we've pretty much reached the point where the nostalgia market can no longer compete with "new hottness" builds.

markm
12-19-22, 08:37
The cloning thing eludes me. We have a buddy who has a fixation on building an exact Block this/Mod that. Other than mocking up a gun to match one you had in the military, the whole thing is silly to me.

HKGuns
12-19-22, 09:44
The cloning thing eludes me. We have a buddy who has a fixation on building an exact Block this/Mod that. Other than mocking up a gun to match one you had in the military, the whole thing is silly to me.

Yep, I feel the same. I think the Block this block that crap is from gamers who don't shoot and just like to stare at their blocks. Call me clueless but I don't even know what block this block that even stands for.............and I don't really care.

12-19-22, 10:19
. Other than mocking up a gun to match one you had in the military, the whole thing is silly to me. thats pretty much what this thread is anout.

Yep, I feel the same. I think the Block this block that crap is from gamers who don't shoot and just like to stare at their blocks. Call me clueless but I don't even know what block this block that even stands for.............and I don't really care. Its military lingo, so I suspect that you’re off the mark.

556Cliff
12-19-22, 10:24
Yep, I feel the same. I think the Block this block that crap is from gamers who don't shoot and just like to stare at their blocks. Call me clueless but I don't even know what block this block that even stands for.............and I don't really care.

I'm actually into cloning a bit, though I don't really take it to extremes on every little detail like a hardcore cloner would. I also don't get the "block" cloning... M16A1, M16A2, I can get behind cloning those, but I have a hard time wanting to clone anything more modern like the M16A4 or the M4 or a "block" whatever since my modern builds are already too similar to those already.

If someone wants to clone something out of nostalgia I can fully understand that.

HKGuns
12-19-22, 10:39
I'm actually into cloning a bit, though I don't really take it to extremes on every little detail like a hardcore cloner would. I also don't get the "block" cloning... M16A1, M16A2, I can get behind cloning those, but I have a hard time wanting to clone anything more modern like the M16A4 or the M4 or a "block" whatever since my modern builds are already too similar to those already.

If someone wants to clone something out of nostalgia I can fully understand that.

People should do what they want and spend their money as they see fit.

It just reminds me of the retards over at HKPro making John Wick “kits” including gold coins. Although admittedly more “real” and far less distasteful to my palate.

BrigandTwoFour
12-19-22, 10:43

FWIW, I have an EOTech XPS-2 that I picked up circa 2011- well before the whole thermal shift thing. I sent it back to them last year (2021) to look at a fading issue in the corner and they rebuilt it up for me.

chuckman
12-19-22, 10:50

My first non 20" M-16 was a first-gen M4, I had to tape a mag light to the plastic handguards. So moving from that to a real SOPMOD Block 1 was an evolutionary leap in capability. As said, it's military lingo. Now, I've no clue what "gamers" (I don't know what that is in context of guns) do, so to that end, I am also clueless.

markm
12-19-22, 10:57
People should do what they want and spend their money as they see fit.

Absolutely. I don't have a problem with cloning, but it's just not my thing. It used to scare me when guys would come on the gun forums and want to build a gun to match their video game weapon though. (a little concerning that all your gun training is from modern warfare or some shit)

556Cliff
12-19-22, 11:30
Absolutely. I don't have a problem with cloning, but it's just not my thing. It used to scare me when guys would come on the gun forums and want to build a gun to match their video game weapon though. (a little concerning that all your gun training is from modern warfare or some shit)

Lol! Those are the guys that end up building an AR pistol with a 4" inch barrel to match the weight of their Xbox controller, but then they go and stick an LPVO on it. :blink:

markm
12-19-22, 11:48
Lol! Those are the guys that end up building an AR pistol with a 4" inch barrel to match the weight of their Xbox controller, but then they go and stick an LPVO on it. :blink:

You have to be able to zoom in like the game!!

12-19-22, 12:22
It sounds like y’all are more familiar with video games than you let on. Not that I think there’s anything wrong with games. Just that, methinks thou doth protest too much.

markm
12-19-22, 12:30
It sounds like y’all are more familiar with video games than you let on. Not that I think there’s anything wrong with games. Just that, methinks thou doth protest too much.

I can work the old Atari joystick with one button. That's it. But I'm familiar with the names of some of the popular games just from hearing about them.

Games aren't bad in and of themself, but when you build a gun based on your favorite game and have no firearms experience.... that's a little out of whack.

556Cliff
12-19-22, 13:00
You have to be able to zoom in like the game!!

Needs to be pressure switch activated to truly make them happy. ;)

556Cliff
12-19-22, 13:07

I'm pretty familiar only through my younger brothers that were/are into the whole Call of Duty thing... I've seen them powne a lot of noobs, Lol. :laugh:

I kinda suck at video games.

12-19-22, 19:18
Here’s a Block 2 clone that I learned about through videogames. I’ve never shot it, but I did jump it off a CASA over Ste Mère Église DZ.

12-19-22, 20:48
Damn, errybody got real quiet… I’m sorry. OMG, did I intrude upon someone’s videogames? Oh no. Oh snap. I would never. I’d never fall out of an airplane with a M4 or shoot a UKD range with one, because internet.

Videogames. Vidyagyms. Methinks thou doth protest too much. Lolol, y’all play on the flat-range. Its all good.

markm
12-20-22, 08:26
Damn, errybody got real quiet… I’m sorry.

We were all pretty hurt inside.

VIP3R 237
12-20-22, 08:28

Love ‘em or hate ‘em, video games have brought a ton of people into the shooting world. And if you’ve ever bought a certain gun because of a video game, go ahead and hit that subscribe button :lol:

12-20-22, 08:28
We were all pretty hurt inside.
Hahaha, I know y’all know I’m just kidding around.

markm
12-20-22, 08:40
I'll never play space invaders again.

chuckman
12-20-22, 09:19
In spite of my kids owning almost every gaming system known to man, my game-playing days ended when the Atari went out. I loved the Atari...Pac Man, Space Invaders, Asteroid, Berserker, Galaga, Frogger....this was 1982ish.

But I can say, not a single game influenced a purchase decision.

GTF425
12-20-22, 09:24
Hahaha, I know y’all know I’m just kidding around.

The nostalgia for Ste Mere hit hard.

And the blackberries on Luzon.

556Cliff
12-20-22, 11:21
Video game enthusiasts seem to be taking the spotlight from the paintball/airsoft crowd... I think it might be interesting to see the two groups face off against each other.

I wonder who would come out on top? I'm guessing the ones that have some experience getting off the couch? :confused:

robbins290
12-20-22, 11:46
Video game enthusiasts seem to be taking the spotlight from the paintball/airsoft crowd... I think it might be interesting to see the two groups face off against each other.

I wonder who would come out on top? I'm guessing the ones that have some experience getting off the couch? :confused:

I would guess the airsoft people, they seem to play alot more, being so cheap compared to paint ball.

chuckman
12-20-22, 11:59
I never understood the 'hate' thrown on "M4orgeries" and clones (not necessarily her, but other places, too). They still shoot. You don't get the same animus for guys into muscle cars or collecting vinyl albums.

If money was no roadblock, I'd get a Vietnam -era CAR and a USMC M40a1 sniper rifle. But, I'd shoot them.

12-20-22, 12:16
The nostalgia for Ste Mere hit hard.

And the blackberries on Luzon.

2 of my 3 favorite DZs. No need to go to Green Ramp. Plus there’s some legit tacos out by Mackall.

markm
12-20-22, 12:32
I never understood the 'hate' thrown on "M4orgeries" and clones (not necessarily her, but other places, too). They still shoot.

Although my guns might fall under the M4gery category, the term M4gery is gay to me. Reminds me of Arfcom goobers/fat posers, etc.

For me, a serious defensive carbine as a forged FSB. I hate running an AR with a suppressor for the most part. 14.5 happens to be a useful barrel length, and it used to be cheap to toss an M4 RAS on and be set.