PDA

View Full Version : Wilson combat on carry guns

yoni
12-12-22, 05:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XJzxpn2vuA

I am generally not a huge fan of Massad Ayoob, but he gives some good info on the evolution of carry guns regarding capacity.

One of the things he mentions is more and more bad guys are wearing vest.

This factored into my thinking when I put together the Hyena pistol. The Hyena started life as a glock 35. But it now has only the slide and a few more parts that came from Glock so it got renamed here on M4C.

The Underwood 357 sig ammo at 2300fps out of my pistol should do very well against vests. Now that it has been magnaported I can't wait to shoot it, but the barrel is going out today for Tin coating.

Stay tuned

RHINOWSO
12-12-22, 06:41
Sweet - the only constant in life is change

gaijin
12-12-22, 06:43
Could be. We shoot “Pelvic Girdle” Drills for that reason, and others……
A more modern “Failure to Stop” approach perhaps.

mpom
12-12-22, 10:24

Not so modern as Maas was teaching it 20 years ago in the LFI course i took :)

Mark

gaijin
12-12-22, 11:56

Not so modern as Maas was teaching it 20 years ago in the LFI course i took :)

Mark

“Modern” simply due to it not being “current curriculum” from what I’ve experienced. I remember Mas recommending this as option a lifetime ago.

Renegade04
12-12-22, 17:29
Good video. He makes some valid points.

pag23
12-12-22, 19:23
Could be. We shoot “Pelvic Girdle” Drills for that reason, and others……

I have heard of more drills in LE to focus on threats wearing body armor...

pag23
12-12-22, 19:26

I am generally not a huge fan of Massad Ayoob, but he gives some good info on the evolution of carry guns regarding capacity.

This factored into my thinking when I put together the Hyena pistol. The Hyena started life as a glock 35. But it now has only the slide and a few more parts that came from Glock so it got renamed here on M4C.

The Underwood 357 sig ammo at 2300fps out of my pistol should do very well against vests. Now that it has been magnaported I can't wait to shoot it, but the barrel is going out today for Tin coating.

Stay tuned

Now you have the Hyena...you need the Jackal....which would a compact version of what you have .

yoni
12-13-22, 03:07
Now you have the Hyena...you need the Jackal....which would a compact version of what you have .

Jackal is on the list, Glock 32, Leupold Delta micro, front night sight, OverWatch flat trigger and minus connector, are the only details I now know. Debating on a Roland Special type gun or an extended KKM barrel with Magnaport on the extension. I know Jerry Miculik loves them, but I am waiting on getting my barrel back from getting TIn coated and I will shoot it and then know the direction I will go.

Coal Dragger
12-13-22, 14:43

Stay tuned

Maybe you should buy a ballistic vest and test your ammunition and barrel combo against it.

yoni
12-14-22, 04:49
Maybe you should buy a ballistic vest and test your ammunition and barrel combo against it.

I have a spare 3A panel and towards the end of January will shoot it, waiting on the barrel to come back from getting TiN coated.

Coal Dragger
12-14-22, 10:01
Interested to read about the results.

RWH24
12-19-22, 02:32
Way back in the early 90's our agency started issuing P226 9mm. On the DA first trigger pull weaker shooters usually
shot the B27 cardboard target in the crotch or thighs. Second shot in SA usually went into the torso. We laughed at the female shooters
doing this but I explained the pelvic girdle has lots of vitals for a bad guy to fall down and bleed profusely. The 3 shot drill, 2 in
the chest and 1 in the head makes certain he is DEAD.
Start in the pelvis, femoral artery, then move up to the chest as suspect's elevator is going down.
10 years later the first SIG's were traded for P226 DAK in 357sig. I started my LEO career in the mid 70's and had to carry a revolver.
The DAK was right up my alley.

BTW: We later went to a B27 center replacement for targets, then the smaller reduced size center replacement.
AIM Small, HIT Small. That was the way it was when I retired in 2008. New Sheriff issues GLOCK's.