PDA

View Full Version : Lightyear (Review) 👽

WillBrink
12-12-22, 09:08
Lightyear is the back story of Buzz Lightyear, the character from the beloved Toy Story movie. Many were hard on this movie and I understand why. For some reason they decided to use this movie force feed an all inclusive progressive wokeness theme that makes you wanna yack. For some it ruined the movie. For me, while annoying, it does not ruin an otherwise fun movie that has excellent visuals/CGI, some fun dialogue, a decent plot, and some legit moving scenes. Had they not decided this was the place to jam in every possible SJW woke trope, it would have been one of the great Pixar movies. Even with all that, I still enjoyed it, possibly because I love animation, SciFi, Pixar, etc. B-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwZs3H_UN3k

Gabriel556
12-12-22, 13:12
I give you credit Will for being able to look past the SJW force feeding to give it a B-. I gave it a C-/D+ because it felt so forced that I couldn’t focus on the effects. I felt like it had so much potential if they didn’t go full retard….. never go full retard.

WillBrink
12-12-22, 13:22
I give you credit Will for being able to look past the SJW force feeding to give it a B-. I gave it a C-/D+ because it felt so forced that I couldn’t focus on the effects. I felt like it had so much potential if they didn’t go full retard….. never go full retard.

I can't blame you if not able to get passed the wokeness. It was not easy. A missed opportunity for what could have been one of the best Pixar movies.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-12-22, 15:03
I took my 5 yo when it was in theaters. He was bored out of his mind due to the adult themes and tones. The SJW stuff hardly makes an appearance, at least not enough for Fox News to cry as much as they did. It’s just a bad kids movie.

titsonritz
12-12-22, 15:12
Fcvk Disney, F for FOAD with your bullshit.

flenna
12-12-22, 15:44
Backstory on a toy? Does it start out as a bulk truck pumping plastic resin into a silo at a manufacturing plant? Or does it go back even further?

WillBrink
12-12-22, 16:45
Backstory on a toy? Does it start out as a bulk truck pumping plastic resin into a silo at a manufacturing plant? Or does it go back even further?

The toy is from the kids favorite movie, like a Super Man doll. The toy has an origin story based on a movie.

flenna
12-12-22, 18:07
The toy is from the kids favorite movie, like a Super Man doll. The toy has an origin story based on a movie.

I guess the sarcasm was not evident. Having 3 children, who are now grown, I have seen Toy Story multiple times.

WillBrink
12-13-22, 07:11
I guess the sarcasm was not evident. Having 3 children, who are now grown, I have seen Toy Story multiple times.

I have seen Toy Story multiple times and don't have kids. :)

gsd2053
12-13-22, 12:59
B minus is excellent for a post covid release

TehLlama
12-15-22, 14:15
B minus is excellent for a post covid release

Ehh, not really. The pixar brain trust has basically taken a backseat to a lot of other irrelevant stuff, and the first step they'd take is removing all the prior IP and seeing how the story works, then seeing if it's adding value to the current IP. It fails in both regards, and given the team and resources behind it, that should be the functional floor for Pixar, even on a rushed movie. When the overall story execution is right on par with Cars2, it's really hard to get excited, but I'm actually somewhat happy that Disney is being forced to accept the clue bird on this, rather than hit with unrelated success and monetary windfall by stuffing more woke crap into kids movies.