PDA

View Full Version : The mile shot

Pappabear
12-13-22, 16:29
We were doing our normal Saturday shoot and kinda bored. I said, lets go bang on the mile. We skipped it last year because its a hassle to get to and the only target to hit is the Mile and 1350. Totally forgot to take a stab at the 1350.

WE went 2 for 5 with the 300 WM with the Horndog 230g A-tips. 17.5 mils Then just stunk up the place with the new Tikka 223, couldn't even spot our misses. And didn't do much better with 6.5CM. I did smack it after countless rounds getting wind hosed. Left right right left left left right right. I will say we were only missing on wind for the most part. If it was not so windy we could have done pretty well with 6.5cm.

Rewarding and humbling experience that mile is.

PB

HKGuns
12-13-22, 16:36
We were doing our normal Saturday shoot and kinda bored. I said, lets go bang on the mile. We skipped it last year because its a hassle to get to and the only target to hit is the Mile and 1350. Totally forgot to take a stab at the 1350.

WE went 2 for 5 with the 300 WM with the Horndog 230g A-tips. 17.5 mils Then just stunk up the place with the new Tikka 223, couldn't even spot our misses. And didn't do much better with 6.5CM. I did smack it after countless rounds getting wind hosed. Left right right left left left right right. I will say we were only missing on wind for the most part. If it was not so windy we could have done pretty well with 6.5cm.

Rewarding and humbling experience that mile is.

PB

2 of 5 sounds good to me...... I wish I had some place to shoot that distance even semi close. Just like loading, I'd have to work my way up to it.

Surprising your Tika didn't fare better, given your reports on that rifle.

Pappabear
12-13-22, 17:41
2 of 5 sounds good to me...... I wish I had some place to shoot that distance even semi close. Just like loading, I'd have to work my way up to it.

Surprising your Tika didn't fare better, given your reports on that rifle.

I think the wind tossed that .223 round 50 to 75 feet at that range. Completely out of view and was back and forth so no chance. Is my guess.

PB

markm
12-13-22, 17:49
I wish I had some place to shoot that distance even semi close.

Check the bus ticket prices from Bora Bora. You're welcome to shoot wiff us!

12-13-22, 18:52
Nice! 500 yards is all we can shoot around here.

B Cart
12-13-22, 19:04
Wind is real tough at that distance. We've shot a mile+ with 6mm and 6.5 Creed etc, but it's been on fairly calm days. With 6mm, it's hard to even spot the hits on steel, so we would typically use electronic flashers that would light up on impacts.

But man it's fun to shoot that far.

HKGuns
12-13-22, 21:10
Check the bus ticket prices from Bora Bora. You're welcome to shoot wiff us!

I’ll be taking the Colt Armorers course at front sight next July.

If that place is anywhere near y’all and the offer is still open, I may hit you lads up. [emoji3]

markm
12-14-22, 08:22
Wind is real tough at that distance. We've shot a mile+ with 6mm and 6.5 Creed etc, but it's been on fairly calm days. With 6mm, it's hard to even spot the hits on steel, so we would typically use electronic flashers that would light up on impacts.

But man it's fun to shoot that far.

We have the flashers. 6.5 is squirrelly at 1300 yards some days. 300WM is king for sure.

B Cart
12-14-22, 10:08
We have the flashers. 6.5 is squirrelly at 1300 yards some days. 300WM is king for sure.

Awesome, the flashers definitely help alot, and ya 300WM is great. I just put together a new 300PRC for a long range hunting rifle. Haven't shot it past the 100 yard sight in yet, but looking forward to pushing it out to distance. Just need it to stop snowing here so i can get out

Pappabear
12-14-22, 11:16
I’ll be taking the Colt Armorers course at front sight next July.

If that place is anywhere near y’all and the offer is still open, I may hit you lads up. [emoji3]
I took some free classes at Frontsight, that place is beyond huge. It will surprise you if you have never been.

That’s about 6 hrs from us. So a pretty good drive. Cheap fast flight though.

PB

HKGuns
12-14-22, 11:31
I took some free classes at Frontsight, that place is beyond huge. It will surprise you if you have never been.

That’s about 6 hrs from us. So a pretty good drive. Cheap fast flight though.

PB

Never been there PB, so interested in what it is all about.

They seem to have a large number of classes. Too bad it’s that far……..

markm
02-27-23, 15:39
Awesome, the flashers definitely help alot, and

The flashers saved us on Saturday. Pappabear went 3 for 5 with the Tikka .223. We finally got the poof on the hill that let us know we were a couple mils short. The 2 little marks bottom center, and the one middle right are 88 gr ELDMs from mile out!!!

https://i.imgur.com/vFSIJaK.jpg

m1a_scoutguy
02-27-23, 16:34
The flashers saved us on Saturday. Pappabear went 3 for 5 with the Tikka .223. We finally got the poof on the hill that let us know we were a couple of mils short. The 2 little marks bottom center and the one middle right are 88 gr ELDMs from a mile out!!!

https://i.imgur.com/vFSIJaK.jpg

Wow, you guys are crazy & lucky all in one! Crazy to even try a shot like that but then fortunate to have the access and place to shoot at such a distance, very cool! It looks like a buddy in our group has an area where we can get out to 800/850ish so I am excited about that, just waiting for the dam weather to come around in a couple of months. I need to work on my 88 ELDs a bit more and see if I can make some improvements, not being very successful at the moment markm, maybe I'll hit you up with some questions and such and get a general idea of where you're at. Please keep us updated for sure, it looks like you're having some fun.

Pappabear
02-27-23, 16:39
M1a, please know our 88’s will not fit in a magazine. They are single feed projos. Don’t know if yours are or not.

PB

C-grunt
02-27-23, 17:28
What was the come up in the scope?

m1a_scoutguy
02-27-23, 18:22
M1a, please know our 88s will not fit in a magazine. They are single-feed projos. Don’t know if yours are or not.

PB

Well, PB, I got good news for ya and maybe bad news and the bad will cost you, $$$ LOL. I did take your OAL and put mine in that area and I even bought the single feed sled from MT and it worked fine. But I did not leave stuff alone & I bought the MDT stock/Chassie along with magazines from MDT, both metal & plastic. It's obvious they added a little of their own tweaks cuz my 88 ELD bullets @ or around 2.50 OAL will fit and function in these mags, I was very impressed and quite happy about it. Anyways here are a couple of pics showing everything, there could even be another hair or two of length still available if needed but I think it should be good where I'm at, but will try less OAL also and see if that makes a difference. I'll keep plugging along and see what I come up with, hope you continue to have great success with your setup, I know I love mine. Have a great week.
Plastic MDT mag on the left, Stock Tikka in the middle, and Metal MDT on the right.
https://i.imgur.com/gxyX4Iq.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DfE9wfU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/nPHXk8O.jpg

Pappabear
02-27-23, 18:30

Our DOPE calcs gave us 24.5 but we ended with 27.5 mils.

Pappabear
02-27-23, 18:31
Well, PB, I got good news for ya and maybe bad news and the bad will cost you, $$$ LOL. I did take your OAL and put mine in that area and I even bought the single feed sled from MT and it worked fine. But I did not leave stuff alone & I bought the MDT stock/Chassie along with magazines from MDT, both metal & plastic. It's obvious they added a little of their own tweaks cuz my 88 ELD bullets @ or around 2.50 OAL will fit and function in these mags, I was very impressed and quite happy about it. Anyways here are a couple of pics showing everything, there could even be another hair or two of length still available if needed but I think it should be good where I'm at, but will try less OAL also and see if that makes a difference. I'll keep plugging along and see what I come up with, hope you continue to have great success with your setup, I know I love mine. Have a great week.
Plastic MDT mag on the left, Stock Tikka in the middle, and Metal MDT on the right.
https://i.imgur.com/gxyX4Iq.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DfE9wfU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/nPHXk8O.jpg

I am hoping that Mountain Tactical will make Tikka mags with more OAL.
PB

m1a_scoutguy
02-27-23, 18:39
Yes, that would be cool and much cheaper, LOL. The MDT mags aren't terrible but obviously, you need a bottom metal that will take them. Mountain Tactical makes the bottom metal but ya need to fit it into your current factory stock, I didn't want to mess with it so I spent $600+++ instead,:help:

markm
02-27-23, 20:51

27.5 mils. (compared to a 17.5ish come up for 300 WM) 40 MOA base on the gun because we knew we'd try to shoot it long range.... so it's all dialed up... no hold over due to running out of scope.

ALSO: The led hit indicator was critical because there was extra chatter between shots, and hearing a 223 hit the gong would be hard.