PDA

View Full Version : It took every ounce of courage I had, but I did it...

Slater
12-13-22, 18:24
I made a dentist appointment. Yes, I'm a big ol' candy ass when it comes to the dentist. But I'm working on it. Taken as a whole, I think maybe women have less irrational fear of the dentist chair (?).

Inkslinger
12-13-22, 18:46
If you’re like me, it’s not an irrational fear. When I was a kid my mom worked for Pepperidge Farms. They had their own company doctors and dentists. At six they filled “alleged” cavities in my back two morals. Pretty traumatic. The fact that I went almost another 40 years before getting another cavity, made me believe they just filled them to get some of the company’s money back from my mom.

Fast forward a couple years, we end up at a local dentist that had inappropriate contact with my mother and some other female patients.

The last straw was a dentist in my mid 20’s. They bolted my head into this metal contraption to take an X-ray from one side of my head to another. The dental assistant either set the machine up wrong or put my head in it wrong. The moving portion grabbed ahold of my jaw and was trying to rotate my stationary head. I had to yell to get them to stop it! And I still gag thinking about the mouthpieces filled with florid that they jammed in your mouth for what seemed like an eternity. Needless to say I don’t visit the dentist often. Lucky I’ve been blessed with good teeth.

titsonritz
12-13-22, 19:12
This was my childhood dentist, I hate the ****ers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avNraWT8CSI&t=3s

flenna
12-13-22, 19:34
When I was 12 I broke a tooth playing backyard football. My father, being a Marine, took me to the base dentist who capped the tooth but failed to do anything about the exposed root. Fast forward a few weeks and I have a raging infection in my gums. So, apparently they could not stick a Novocain needle in my swollen, infected gums to numb it. Solution: hold the boy down and start cutting the infection away then, when done, stitch it up. With zero anesthetic. Needless to say it was years before I could step into a dentist office without pangs of fear in my stomach.

czgunner
12-13-22, 19:55
As a kid, my dentist was a jerk. I, too, have an irrational fear of them now. I usually get nitrous even for cleanings to help me not leave claw marks in their chair armrests. Cuts down on the profuse sweating too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OutofBatt3ry
12-13-22, 20:09
Don't let it slip, OP. Even if you pay cash for a cleaning/xrays a few times a year, it's not terrible. It will save you a world of pain and cash. I hadn't been in years(OK, 2 decades) The de-scale(deep clean) was f*cking terrible, and the 1000's I'm getting ready to pay for cadaver/pig flesh to be installed in front of my lower incisors would make anyone cry in pain and finances (that's with insurance)

Don't f*ck with your teeth.

jsbhike
12-13-22, 20:31
I am not too wild about dentists even though the first dentist and hygienists I can recall were gentle as kittens. No exaggeration, I fell asleep on one of ladies in my early teens and had clamped down on her finger after walking in the place pulling a 9 on the tension scale as was my norm.

That dentist was also in to shooting so my last few visits there would end with talking about shooting and handloading.

Artos
12-13-22, 20:57
My GrandDad used to tell a great story about a dentist visit...fam was very poor in the rural of Tennessee. Had a bad one & the Doc told him it would be $1 for the root canal & $1 to numb the area. Told him to FO with the extra buck & get it over with.

He swears the gout flare ups in his knee much later in life were worse...I cannot even imagine.

pag23
12-13-22, 21:10
I go to a female dentist with female staff.....it makes it worth it, plus they are pretty gentle when cleaning and scaling......

AKDoug
12-13-22, 21:16
I had a great childhood dentist. The dude was a weight lifter and lived next door to us. To this day I still don't understand how he worked on kids with those sausage fingers, but the guy was a magician. He could give you a Novocain shot without you even see it coming . The other neighbor had these little shitty Shetland ponies. One of them bit me really hard and Dr. Flynn flipped that F'er upside down and choked him for a few minutes. That pony learned his lesson.

My orthodontist in my teen years had two assistants that were model quality females. I loved them working on me.

My current dentist has great people in his office, he takes cash, and sometimes trades. I've traded him building materials and an AR for some pretty complicated work.

Waylander
12-13-22, 21:33
Larry, one of my coworkers and kind of a hick, finally worked up the nerve to go to the dentist. It was probably one of the few times if any he had ever been.

The hygienist was scraping and digging with the hooks and shit for like an hour and constantly vacuuming blood out of his mouth.

The dentist walks in and asks, “Larry, are you not seeing a dentist regularly?” to which Larry responded, “Well if it’s gonna be like this I’m not!” [emoji23]

Buncheong
12-13-22, 21:49
I made a dentist appointment. Yes, I'm a big ol' candy ass when it comes to the dentist. But I'm working on it. Taken as a whole, I think maybe women have less irrational fear of the dentist chair (?).

You're not a candy ass. Dentist offices are places of bad news, pain, and misery. I hate them.