PDA

View Full Version : MA town asks for gubment help with coyotes

WillBrink
12-15-22, 11:40
Too funny and sad: I was in MA when they introduced them and would not allow hunting. They made their way to NE after being mostly eradicated by early 'Muricans. I knew that would all come to an end when they started to eat their fluffy dogs and cats. I didn't see and hear them until mid 80s there abouts in my town. People don't like nature when it does what nature does. Typical naive clueless people. I was followed by a big pack of them with my dog in the woods several times. They were trying to get my dog to chase the one, and then take her down per their MO. They're much smarter than many give them credit for. They also get way bigger in the NE than the skinny little animals found in other parts of the US. Like small wolf sized, which was what I thought I was seeing first time I saw one in the woods. She is very well trained and looked to me for instruction and told to stay close to me. I had no worries about them really being armed and knowing they're opportunists, but as their numbers grew, as expected, they started taking peoples little dogs, cats, and found stalking infants in rural back yards.

Of course once the wealthy idiots who pushed for introducing cyotes to the region found out the natural world is not like TV and does not live as one in harmony and all that, did they do a 180 and start screaming for something to be done, hunting seasons started, etc. From trying to ban hunting contests (https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/coyote-hunting-contests-massachusetts-proposed-ban/) to "save us government, they are eating our dogs."

"AP FILE - A coyote runs into the woods after crossing a road near a residential neighborhood, in West Falmouth, Mass., on Cape Cod, Monday, July 15, 1996. The town of Nahant, Mass., has contracted with the federal government to kill coyotes that locals say have killed pets and become a dangerous nuisance. Town officials voted on Dec. 7, 2022, to enter into an agreement with U.S. Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services to kill the coyotes using rifles. (Stephen Rose/Cape Cod Times via AP, File)

A Massachusetts town has decided to become the first in the state to contract with the federal government to kill coyotes locals say have killed pets and become a dangerous nuisance.

Local officials said eight to 12 coyotes inhabit Nahant, a densely settled town of about 3,300 people on a peninsula about 15 miles north of Boston. The animals have killed pets, including three that were taken straight from leashes held by their owners, said Antonio Barletta, the town administrator.

Town officials voted Dec. 7 to enter into an agreement with U.S. Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services to kill the coyotes using rifles. It’s the first time a Massachusetts community has pursued such an option, which Barletta said is expected to cost $5,000 to $10,000, depending on how long it takes.

The USDA workers will perform the work at night using night vision equipment in parts of town where the shooting won’t pose a threat to residents, Barletta said. The work will likely take place next month, he said.

The decision has drawn criticism from some wildlife advocates, including the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. But Barletta said the coyotes are becoming a threat to dogwalkers."

https://apnews.com/article/massachusetts-animals-arizona-coyotes-climate-and-environment-3184775273b3bbbb6a35282fd6f8a2ac?taid=639b4e078456220001d8171e

sgtrock82
12-15-22, 12:22
Why allow enthusiatic people to kill them off for free, when untold riches can be spent and fortunes made by making it into a govt project?

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

AKjeff
12-15-22, 12:46
Why allow enthusiatic people to kill them off for free, when untold riches can be spent and fortunes made by making it into a govt project?

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

That would be admitting that maybe the 2A is a good thing though.
Those types of people think only the gov needs firearms.

titsonritz
12-15-22, 14:19
They should try brown bears next. Zero sympathy, fvck those idiots and their poodles.

ViniVidivici
12-15-22, 19:39
I just killed another one here today in WA.

We should have a bidding war.....you payin' the state to do it for 10,000? Me and a group from M4C will do it for 8,000...

yoni
12-16-22, 03:43
I was coming home one night like in the middle of the night. Beyond the houses, one guy had his sheep pen, this guy was an idiot and lazy. So he had taken the body of a sheep that died and threw it about 25 meters from his pen. As my Jeeps heads lights swept the area I saw a bunch of eyes reflecting back at me, so I drove over and saw a bunch of coyotes run away. It was raining really hard, but I thought this could be fun. I parked my Jeep maybe 10 meters from the dead sheep and turned it off. I didn't have long to wait and they came back to feed on the sheep, so I stuck my left hand with my Hi Power in it out the Jeeps window and shot a coyote. They all ran away, I rolled up the window and waited. Sure enough they all came back, hunger being very powerful. Long story short I was able to shoot them all that night.

As an aside the Ministry of Agriculture in Israel has coyote hunters on the payroll, .22 rifle with night vision.

Harpoon
12-16-22, 09:03
Coyotes started showing up here about 10 years ago. People reported seeing them. I hunt and fish all the time since I'm retired, and I hadn't seen one yet. Then I finally heard them a couple times while hunting. I was spring turkey hunting and I was calling with hen yelps, and a coyote came out into the field I was hunting. It was the first coyote I had ever seen. I yelped at him and he came right in. Got him at 15 yards. I'm one for one. Around here there is no closed season for coyotes, we can hunt them year round 24/7 even at night with spotlights or thermal sights.

Buckaroo
12-16-22, 09:17
Hunted yotes from an airplane every morning while working on a sheep ranch
Very interesting (and fun) part of the job
We even had a calf that they had gotten into and eaten 5-10lbs of flesh from before his momma ran them off. He survived but...
There are plenty and will out-lsurvive us I'm certain!

WillBrink
12-16-22, 09:36
They should try brown bears next. Zero sympathy, fvck those idiots and their poodles.

That's the western part of the state. Dip chits move out there to be closer to nature, freak out when they see a bear.