PDA

View Full Version : Composite ammo

WillBrink
12-16-22, 13:25
An idea that's been around a long time, but finally ready for prime time? Anyone with hands on experiences? Seems like if costs and production scaled up, might replace brass and other materials, starting with NGSW program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk5FR_locLc

WillBrink
12-16-22, 13:28
Rifle + composite ammo for NGSW program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoBOuv6qJNU

WillBrink
12-16-22, 13:28
Rifle + composite ammo for NGSW program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoBOuv6qJNU

czgunner
12-16-22, 15:11
About 15 years ago I bought some that had a blue case and 55 grain bullet.
I was using a SIG 556 at the time and every single round had the bullet push into the case during chambering. I don't remember if I tried an AR or not.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

jsbhike
12-16-22, 17:37
I think that came up on this forum a year or so ago. As czgunner mentioned there was some company making similar claims about 15 years ago and if I remember right some guys who had been around longer mentioned previous similar claims at that time.

May be the next new thing or it may just be grant money absorption again.

SteyrAUG
12-16-22, 19:00
It's gonna be a sad, sad day when this country can no longer supply affordable brass products.

Seems like we stopped being able to make steel in the 90s.

When you can float steel from China cheaper than you can make it in Pittsburgh, you are doing something very wrong.

Plastic ammo simply will never have the same shelf life as brass case.

BoringGuy45
12-16-22, 19:04
More powerful rounds with less or equal weight compared to the current ammunition is hard to argue against if they can make it just as robust and reliable as the current technology.

Alpha-17
12-17-22, 06:30
The ammunition is intriguing, but at $70 a box, I'll pass. We've had a half dozen boxes sitting on the shelves for the last year or so, I think we sold a couple in all that time. Now that BP/Cabela's has a partnership with them, we have a small mountain of the stuff, and it'll likely collect dust as well.

jsbhike
12-17-22, 08:39
The ammunition is intriguing, but at $70 a box, I'll pass.

Which means this stuff has also failed considering one of the primary benefits of polymer material is reduced cost.

utahjeepr
12-17-22, 10:45
It's gonna be a sad, sad day when this country can no longer supply affordable brass products.

Seems like we stopped being able to make steel in the 90s.

When you can float steel from China cheaper than you can make it in Pittsburgh, you are doing something very wrong.

Plastic ammo simply will never have the same shelf life as brass case.

I have to source domestic brass products fairly often at work. It's getting tough. I'm forced to get more and more exemptions lately and bearing on the domestic content of an "assembly".

Steel is worse. I have a project that has been delayed for almost a year because what they want simply can not be supplied using US steel. Had to go VERY high in the executive branch to get an exemption to the "no exemptions" policy.

I think polymer case is workable. Has to be ground up design changes though, like the OP appears to be. I don't expect to ever see poly replace existing cartridges, poly 5.56x45 for example. It just seems too limiting trying to adapt poly to an existing chamber. Plastics are taking over, and in many areas perform better than "legacy" materials. Sooner or later it will happen... unless we get pulse rifles and blasters first ;) .