PDA

View Full Version : Valkyrie

CMFG
12-25-08, 23:50
Just got back from the theatre. Even Tom Cruise couldn't make this movie suck (though he tried).

Go see it. Then when it comes out on DVD, buy it and put it on the shelf next to "Braveheart" and "V for Vendetta".

LibertyCola
12-26-08, 00:02
I do not get the Tom Cruise hate. He has always been a good actor. I will see it tommorow it looks amazing.

Army Chief
12-26-08, 02:18
I'm not a Cruise hater either, though I would admit that I've learned to be actively disinterested in anything that involves his personal life.

Our culture of celebrity is a curious thing, isn't it? We admire great on-screen performances (where someone is pretending to be someone or something that they are not), and I think that is fine in and of itself. Trouble is, it doesn't end there, and in the process we give these people a voice, as if their opinions on politics or religion or global warming or the exploitation of naked animals or whatever their ridiculous pet cause are credible. Very few of them have any idea what they are talking about. Perhaps you've noticed.

As an actor, I would concede that Cruise can make a movie worth seeing. What he does in his personal life, or what he happens to believe, or who he wishes to share a bed with ... well, he's from Hollywood: I pretty much expect him to be living in a fantasy world.

Valkyrie is a story worth telling, and I'm pleased to hear that this film has done it justice in some small way.

Chief

MTR7
12-26-08, 07:05
Hey I saw it as well. It was a good movie. and Cruise was just fine.
Matt

Littlelebowski
12-26-08, 07:11
I do not get the Tom Cruise hate. He has always been a good actor. I will see it tommorow it looks amazing.

That of course stems from his ridiculous religion and remarks in his personal life. He is a fine actor.

RogerinTPA
12-26-08, 09:35
I'm in total agreement with you Chief. He's a fine actor. I just wish they could muzzle these folks on the political stage, (as if their opinion matters, nor is it the opinion of most common folks) and crank out great movies. Entertain and shut up.;)

I'm not a Cruise hater either, though I would admit that I've learned to be actively disinterested in anything that involves his personal life.

Our culture of celebrity is a curious thing, isn't it? We admire great on-screen performances (where someone is pretending to be someone or something that they are not), and I think that is fine in and of itself. Trouble is, it doesn't end there, and in the process we give these people a voice, as if their opinions on politics or religion or global warming or the exploitation of naked animals or whatever their ridiculous pet cause are credible. Very few of them have any idea what they are talking about. Perhaps you've noticed.

As an actor, I would concede that Cruise can make a movie worth seeing. What he does in his personal life, or what he happens to believe, or who he wishes to share a bed with ... well, he's from Hollywood: I pretty much expect him to be living in a fantasy world.

Valkyrie is a story worth telling, and I'm pleased to hear that this film has done it justice in some small way.

Chief

C4IGrant
12-26-08, 09:37
Just got back from the theatre. Even Tom Cruise couldn't make this movie suck (though he tried).

Go see it. Then when it comes out on DVD, buy it and put it on the shelf next to "Braveheart" and "V for Vendetta".

Cool! Glad to hear it. Am wanting to see this.

C4

RogerinTPA
12-26-08, 09:40
Dup post

nighthawk756
12-26-08, 09:54
Good to hear. I'm going to see it at 1:30 today.

Yeah, I don't care for Cruise's personal life/beliefs but it doesn't keep me from going to see his movies. I still think overall he's a decent actor.

And as far as this movie goes, I'd go see it no matter who's acting in it because of the story.

andre3k
12-26-08, 11:00
It was a really good movie. The only thing I didn't like is the fact that if you paid any attention in HS history class you already knew the ending.

Rider79
12-26-08, 11:12
It was a really good movie. The only thing I didn't like is the fact that if you paid any attention in HS history class you already knew the ending.

Unfortunately, most people these days haven't, which allowed them to bill it as a "suspense thriller".
I saw it last night, I thought it was excellent. I liked how they addressed all the small things that made the plot go wrong. They covered everything that, if it had just happened slightly different, or a little sooner, or one man made a different decision, would have changed history, and maybe WW2 would have been over before the end of 1944.

Bat Guano
12-26-08, 11:16
I doubt if that got covered in many HS history classes...Every time I had a modern history class the excuse for not covering anything after 1900 was that we were "running out of time". Naturally, it was the time period I was most interested in!

The Washington Post's review http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/24/AR2008122402325.html seems like it might be somewhat on.

There are a LOT of stories that ought to be covered. This is one. Will go see it even if the Boy Wonder is in it.

Rider79
12-26-08, 11:23
Every time I had a modern history class the excuse for not covering anything after 1900 was that we were "running out of time".

I had the same problem. I thought it was funny that in one of my HS US history books, there was 3/4 of a page and a picture of a bridge devoted to the Vietnam War. The longest war in American history, that shaped American foreign policy for years afterward, and you give it less than a page and a picture of a ****ing bridge? I was only in 10th grade and I found it funny.

Rogueplayer
12-26-08, 12:58
I really enjoyed it also.

What I appreciated about the movie was the fact they did not attempt to
delve into the characters too much. They stuck to the operation and how it came about and what affected the decisions made.

Honu
12-26-08, 14:37
my only thought not having seen the movie yet ?

but Cruise while he may be a fine actor ? or a poor one ? or whatever
he is tom cruise and that can get into the mindset of movies

very few actors such as Gene Hackman can play rolls where one believes he is the character and you never think this is Hackman playing a roll

tom cruise most think oh this is cruise playing a roll

for such a important pieced of history based on a real person I wish they could have gotten a great foreign actor to play this role so you tend to watch it without thinking about the actors ?

again i will hold judgement but also every clip I have seen my mind thinks cruise trying to play a german guy is not cutting it

if this was a fake character to tell a story I would then have no issues ?

also I am a photographer for a living and also took film study etc.. and love movies/films so I am kinda strangely critical :)

Chances are I will love the movie as I have the previews so far because of the story etc.. :)

chances are nothing will ever beat Band of Brothers though :)

R.P.
12-26-08, 15:52
Plan on seeing it this weekend.

Palmguy
12-26-08, 16:14
Saw it last night...thought it was good. I'm not a fan of Cruise's personal life but think he is a good actor. He did a decent job in this one.

seb5
12-26-08, 17:07
I just got back and thought it was worth watching. Especially for the historical significance of the story it tells. I don't think many died as easily as pictured. Many more died that were not involved. I do think it is/was amazing that his wife and children lived.

Gutshot John
12-26-08, 20:03
I used to dislike Tom Cruise, but more and more, I'm growing to like him.

Case in point...one of the funniest roles I've ever seen on film. Any actor can do drama, it takes real talent to make someone laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7OTmPNGihs

I'll definitely check out Valkyrie. Way back in high school I did a report on Operation Valkyrie.

nighthawk756
12-26-08, 20:22
Good to hear. I'm going to see it at 1:30 today.

Yeah, I don't care for Cruise's personal life/beliefs but it doesn't keep me from going to see his movies. I still think overall he's a decent actor.

And as far as this movie goes, I'd go see it no matter who's acting in it because of the story.

After seeing it.....I'll agree that it's worth going to see. I think Cruise did a good job also.

ToddG
12-27-08, 00:57
I don't get the Cruise hate.

Many (most) of his movies are good. His personal life has brought millions of people -- including quite a few of us here at M4C -- countless hours of laughter.

What's not to like?

I mean, the dude honestly believes that billion-year-old alien ghost worms live in his body and control all our destinies. This is a guy I want at my next Christmas party.

LibertyCola
12-27-08, 01:43
I saw it and thought it was a good movie. Although I think it would have been better in german with subtitles.

Battlepack
12-27-08, 08:23
Cool, I've been waiting to see some reviews from ya'll. I was worried about the historical accuracy of this pic, but it seems from the comments that it's pretty close to being accurate.

Did they touch upon a Rommel connection?

I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan, but I'll check it out. Donald Sutherland or Max Von Sydow would have been better back in the day.:D

nighthawk756
12-27-08, 10:42

No they didn't, unfortunately.

AirTrafficControl
12-27-08, 10:51
other than Dances with Wolves this was one of the most boring movies that I've ever seen! Dont waste your money, the history channel story was was better IMHO...ATC

Deputy91
12-27-08, 17:41
I was / am looking forward to seeing it on Monday night. I would have liked to see it in German with subtitles, but they would probably lose too much revenue. Many people do not have the attention span to watch a movie like that anymore. (Those that are just looking for an action flick).

-Mike.

Rider79
12-27-08, 20:24

They used the book, by William Shirer, "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" as a guide for making the movie. I may be wrong on my history, but I've studied WW2 pretty thoroughly, and I don't think Rommel was an active planner in the plot at all. At most he was guilty of knowing about it, and staying neutral. Rommel was first a soldier, before he ever was a Nazi. That was why he was allowed to commit suicide, to save his family's honor. I was waiting for some mention of Rommel in the movie, but there was none. General Beck, played by Terrence Stamp, was the lead plotter in a coup that never got off the ground in 1938. Hitler was to be assassinated, and Beck and his generals would have taken power. Supposedly, Chamberlain's government was aware of this, and that's why he hurried to compromise and appease Hitler over Czechoslovakia for "peace in our time", because he didn't want the turmoil of a coup in Germany. Some historians say that, at the time, Chamberlain was Hitler's best bodyguard.

Flash Point
12-28-08, 08:32
my only thought not having seen the movie yet ?

but Cruise while he may be a fine actor ? or a poor one ? or whatever
he is tom cruise and that can get into the mindset of movies

very few actors such as Gene Hackman can play rolls where one believes he is the character and you never think this is Hackman playing a roll

tom cruise most think oh this is cruise playing a roll

for such a important pieced of history based on a real person I wish they could have gotten a great foreign actor to play this role so you tend to watch it without thinking about the actors ?

again i will hold judgement but also every clip I have seen my mind thinks cruise trying to play a german guy is not cutting it

if this was a fake character to tell a story I would then have no issues ?

also I am a photographer for a living and also took film study etc.. and love movies/films so I am kinda strangely critical :)

Chances are I will love the movie as I have the previews so far because of the story etc.. :)

chances are nothing will ever beat Band of Brothers though :)

+1

I quit watching Cruise movies because it seemed like he played every action character the same way (Mission Impossible, Minority Report, etc.), but this movie looks good.

Army Chief
12-28-08, 09:59
... I've studied WW2 pretty thoroughly, and I don't think Rommel was an active planner in the plot at all. At most he was guilty of knowing about it, and staying neutral ...

The facts would seem to support your interpretation. As best we can determine, Rommel was aware of resistance efforts in a broad sense, though he was never an active participant in any group, plot or attempt and had no political aspirations himself. It is generally believed that he "preferred not to know" the details, so as not to be placed into a position where his loyalties would be tested.

The Field Marshal's problem was that he was identified by the Wolf's Lair conspirators as a potential head of state following Hitler's removal. That, coupled with evidence that he had done nothing to expose officers he knew -- or should have known -- to be involved in such circles, secured his place in the roundup.

Chief

GLOCKMASTER
12-28-08, 17:54
I saw it today. It was good movie and I enjoyed it. I might even pick it up when comes out on DVD.

Abraxas
12-28-08, 18:49

Go see it. Then when it comes out on DVD, buy it .

I whole heartedly agree!!

Grendelizer
12-28-08, 18:56
Saw it and I give it a five out of five stars. Not because it was the Best Movie Ever, but I consider it the best it could be, for what it was.

I classify it with The Fugitive or No Way Out, for a clever, well-paced thriller.

Gets my highest recommendation.

John

P.S. My comments are independent of its historical accuracy or lack thereof.

RogerinTPA
12-28-08, 19:25
Valkerie, and all the events leading up to it, is on the history channel now.

Danny Boy
12-28-08, 19:25
A balding Tom Cruise in a fat suit in Tropic Thunder had me wetting myself.

I saw Valkyrie yesterday with the wife. Thought it was great. Had the wife in tears at the end. Awwwww.....

Rider79
12-29-08, 14:41
The other thing I found amusing in the movie was when von Stauffenberg went to get Hitler to sign off on the changes to "Valkyrie", it was June 7th or 8th I think, and everyone was sitting around, having a laugh. No sense of urgency whatsoever.

Sam
12-29-08, 14:54
I hope you guys don't spoil it for me, don't tell me if they get hitler or not. I'm waiting for the DVD.

Rider79
12-29-08, 14:59
I hope you guys don't spoil it for me, don't tell me if they get hitler or not. I'm waiting for the DVD.

They do get him. Its actually an alternate history/timeline movie. Sorry to spoil the "twist" for you.

Sam
12-29-08, 15:28
They do get him. Its actually an alternate history/timeline movie. Sorry to spoil the "twist" for you.

Hitler is dead? holy cow.:eek:

Rider79
12-29-08, 15:32
Yep. That's why MGM/UA was freaking out so much about Valkyrie. L. Ron Hubbard spoke to Cruise from beyond the grave and told him how to make the movie.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-29-08, 19:06
Great flick! I enjoyed it immensely. I am no expert on the period but the film had the look of authenticity. Just looking at all the detail on the badges and piping on the uniforms was worth $1.

CarlosDJackal
12-29-08, 19:19

I'm sorry but I must beg to differ. Tom Cruise plays Tom Cruise no matter what movie he's in. Tom Hanks is a good actor. Christopher Walkin is a good actor. But Tom Cruise outright sucks!!

But, it doesn't mean that any movie he's in is going to be a flop. I actually liked "The Last Samurai" despite his attempt to screw it up. I'll have to consider seeing this movie though. :D

CarlosDJackal
12-29-08, 19:21

I hope you're not serious!! :eek:

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-29-08, 21:39
Carlos,

Agreed! He sucks. In this movie he was supposed to be a stiff so it sort of worked.

g5m
12-30-08, 17:48
Good movie.