PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into old hobbies

OutofBatt3ry
12-18-22, 13:06
I might as well be 100, but damn, my son and I have a good time roller skating. :sarcastic:

I took him for the first time a few months ago out of pure boredom and forgot how much I enjoyed it, so we go pretty regularly now.

Santa is getting him his own skates for Christmas.

https://i.imgur.com/5I6CaO6.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK-qQKNxeFY

Late night dinner like the old days.

https://i.imgur.com/ZkKJu6q.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6aORzq2.jpg

great exercise too. :cool:

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-18-22, 13:36
My hips hurt just looking at the pics…. Still remember skate night for school with “Another one bites the dust”….

Pacific5th
12-18-22, 15:01
We took the kids skating last year. Of coarse I had to get Roller Blades cause that’s what I dealt with in the 90’s. To my surprise I thought I did pretty good. In a few minutes I was skating backwards, one leg, and having a great time. My wife seemed embarrassed by me for some reason lol.

chuckman
12-18-22, 15:41
Good for you!! Good thing to do with your family.

Me, I'd kill myself.

Buckaroo
12-18-22, 16:30
My oldest daughter still has a shirt from the roller ring from her birthday party 25 years ago lol

1_click_off
12-18-22, 17:20
To date myself a little, I broke out my old Nash skateboard and introduced my son to skateboarding. We had a good time on it and he ended up getting a rip stick. I tried it once and luckily remembered how to tuck and roll. Unfortunately while I was at work my son was riding and Nash board got left on the edge of the driveway and our Amazon driver didn’t do so well backing out the drive and smoked the trucks on it.

ABNAK
12-18-22, 17:33
Good for you!! Good thing to do with your family.

Me, I'd kill myself.

LOL I know, right? I recall wiping out, smacking that hard-wood floor rather hard.....but I was like 14 or 15. I'd need EMS called if I did that now!

For some reason I recall the Patrick Hernandez song "Born To Be Alive" from my roller-skating days. Yeah, I'm old[er]. :cool:

SteyrAUG
12-19-22, 00:51
Excellent.

pag23
12-19-22, 05:53
I'm going to start building model airplanes and tanks again in the near future....took a long time off but it is better than being hooked on TV and internet

markm
12-19-22, 11:06
I beat my ass silly Skateboarding about 5 years ago. My back no longer tolerates that kind of high impact though.

3 AE
12-19-22, 12:47
I played in a roller hockey beginner league in my late 50s and early 60s. I thought why not, I played ice hockey in grammar school. Thank God they had the boards to bring me to a sudden stop and I was well padded! My first game in my first season, I was sucking wind by the second period early in my shift. So I decided to body check an opponent into the boards and draw a two minute penalty so I could catch my breath in the penalty box. I didn't want to let the coach know that I was wussing out by skating back to the bench. I didn't hear the whistle blow and looked back at the referee, like "WTF"? He just laughed and said "I've seen this all before, finish your shift you pussy"! I sure enjoyed the time playing but there came a time "My ego was writing checks my body couldn't cash!" I retired from the sport with fond memories and most of my body parts still working.

AKjeff
12-19-22, 12:53
I'm going to start building model airplanes and tanks again in the near future....took a long time off but it is better than being hooked on TV and internet

I keep thinking I'll get back into model cars, then I realize I hate painting all the little parts.

chuckman
12-19-22, 17:14
One of my son's, 17, has always been into the military. When I was growing up I collected patches, crests, badges, etc. I think I might do that again, with him.

I was also into Estes rockets, might do that again.

JediGuy
12-19-22, 19:18
Ice skating.

I found that after ten years, I can skate backward better than I ever had before, I guess because I “had to” guide my kids.

Straight Shooter
12-20-22, 00:31
Thats a nice pic & video. Man we used to tear up the rink. Or better, it tore US up..black & blue for days. GREAT music...LOVE ROLLERCOASTER was my favorite. Im glad to see it is still going..and IF I could find a full rubber bodysuit and had a safety cable AND the place had old school music..Id like to do it again.
In other words..aint happening.

utahjeepr
12-20-22, 18:52
I was also into Estes rockets, might do that again.

Careful Doc. That way lay home crafted DD's ;)

I always hated the skating rink. I only went cause, girls. Then I got a car and graduated to drive in movies. Do skating rinks still exist in the wild? I know drive ins are nearly extinct.

OutofBatt3ry
12-20-22, 19:44
Careful Doc. That way lay home crafted DD's ;)

I always hated the skating rink. I only went cause, girls. Then I got a car and graduated to drive in movies. Do skating rinks still exist in the wild? I know drive ins are nearly extinct.

Yes, that vid is from last Saturday night. 100s and 100's of people. (That particular vid was the "advanced rhythm skate" break, so it was a fraction of the people that were there that night.) TBH, I couldn't believe the place was still open when I got the idea to try it again. We have two or three dedicated roller rinks in my city. And you are correct about girls...milfs galore.

..but yes, grown ass adults still skate = ) (not my vid, from one of the vids that made get back into it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3UrNLjmhMg

Ours has an adult-skate every Thursday or Sunday.

Ron3
12-21-22, 07:55
Looks like fun!

Need to see if our local place does that.

Would have to buy skates though, rentals hurt the feet.

chuckman
12-21-22, 08:52
I could ice skate 'ok', which means I could move in the four cardinal directions and little else. Roller skating? Fuhgettaboutit.

The same roller rink that was open when I was a kid is still open, and from what I understand, still pays a lot of the same music (70s and 80s). How could it not??

Once upon a time our little town had the only ice skating rink in NC, and it was all open skate. It was bursting at the seams and they built a new one, and with the influx of emigrants from the north and midwest, we have had an explosion of hockey teams that use the rink, so open skate is few and far between. I would not mind ice skating again, but not worth trying to correlate my schedule with theirs.

sgtrock82
12-22-22, 16:00
I'm going to start building model airplanes and tanks again in the near future....took a long time off but it is better than being hooked on TV and internetIt's a great time, the kits are far and away superior to anything that's come before. Just use due diligence and google the crap out of any kits your curious about to make sure it will suit your needs and isn't simply an older 60s-70s tooled kit in a shiny new box. If you like the old kits, the original vintage releases of them tend to be better in quality.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

pag23
12-22-22, 18:36
I keep thinking I'll get back into model cars, then I realize I hate painting all the little parts.

Try doing tanks....love the tools and painting the treads..lol

pag23
12-22-22, 18:39
It's a great time, the kits are far and away superior to anything that's come before. Just use due diligence and google the crap out of any kits your curious about to make sure it will suit your needs and isn't simply an older 60s-70s tooled kit in a shiny new box. If you like the old kits, the original vintage releases of them tend to be better in quality.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

Yeah the new items especially AFV club, Dragon, and Trumpeter are very good kits.... The paints really improved especially Model Air

jsbhike
12-22-22, 18:43
Ice skating.

I found that after ten years, I can skate backward better than I ever had before, I guess because I “had to” guide my kids.

I only tried it once in my early 20's. I could stay upright by going forward, but changing direction required falling down, crawling around to get in to the approximate correct direction to get up, and repeat.

czgunner
12-24-22, 12:11
I've been "learning" guitar for the last 20 years. I need a good teacher, but it never seems important enough to budget.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Artos
12-24-22, 13:01
My brain keeps telling me I need to get a new KTM & get back into my enduro fun days...my 5 decades old body keeps cursing my brain.

HKGuns
12-24-22, 13:07
My brain keeps telling me I need to get a new KTM & get back into my enduro fun days...my 5 decades old body keeps cursing my brain.

Do it, best thing I’ve done in years. You won’t get any younger and with some practice you’ll be surprised how well you can do.