PDA

View Full Version : New LMT MWS firing pin spring

Pappabear
12-19-22, 17:12
Via LMT's website: "Firing pin spring for our .308 BCG (LM308D and LM308DA). Intended to reduce the chance of slam fires when using match primers".

Anyone have information on this. I have a friend that just built an MWS and his new carrier had this spring in it. So I bought a few spares to put into my MWS BCG's.

Interesting huh. Jack you out there Buddy, does Knights have this?

PB

sinister
12-19-22, 17:17
They've been in the Geneseo (now Arizona) Armalites since the beginning. The AR-10 / LMT MWS bolt carrier group is WAY heavier than the 5.56 AR's -- with the additional mass and spring that's a LOT of inertia.

Not really a big difference when talking about military primer cups. Federal Gold Medal Match primers may be a different issue.

Pappabear
12-19-22, 18:09
They've been in the Geneseo (now Arizona) Armalites since the beginning. The AR-10 / LMT MWS bolt carrier group is WAY heavier than the 5.56 AR's -- with the additional mass and spring that's a LOT of inertia.

Not really a big difference when talking about military primer cups. Federal Gold Medal Match primers may be a different issue.

Sinister, do you think its a good thing or stupid?

PB

sinister
12-19-22, 22:48
I think it's a good idea. Standard M4s and carbines can often leave a slight inertia dimple on primers from firing pin kisses. Again, the big-frame BCG is moving along with a heavier firing pin.

Armalite and Larue use them, and apparently LMT (with decades experience) is starting as well.

BufordTJustice
12-20-22, 00:55
The LMT 308 E-BCG I grabbed in 2021 had the FP Spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markm
12-20-22, 08:18
I'll take a slam fire over a broken cam pin any day, but the spring sounds like a good idea.

Pappabear
12-20-22, 11:20
I think it's a good idea. Standard M4s and carbines can often leave a slight inertia dimple on primers from firing pin kisses. Again, the big-frame BCG is moving along with a heavier firing pin.

Armalite and Larue use them, and apparently LMT (with decades experience) is starting as well.
Thanks for the feedback.
PB

LMT/556
04-05-23, 20:02
My last BCG came with one. Joe said it was for match 6.5 CM, maybe Hornady ELDs and such. I've never had a problem with FGMM.

Pappabear
04-11-23, 18:43
I bought some spares and installed in all 3 of my MWS guns. I had that one crazy explosion so I thought, I hope this helps...maybe.

PB

Korgs130
04-12-23, 09:20
I bought some spares and installed in all 3 of my MWS guns. I had that one crazy explosion so I thought, I hope this helps...maybe.

PB

I missed this when you posted about the springs in December. I had a slam fire with with my MWS and a round of Federal Gold Medal Sierra MatchKing 7.62x51mm NATO 175 gr ammo about 2 years ago. I just placed my order for a spring.

markm
04-12-23, 10:02
For what it's worth, two springs won't fit in a single BCG. :fie:

So if you forget you already have one installed... ;)

crosseyedshooter
04-12-23, 11:25
Now I gotta find something else to buy so I'm not paying $15 shipping for a $3.50 spring. Anyone got suggestions?

Pappabear
04-12-23, 13:43
Now I gotta find something else to buy so I'm not paying $15 shipping for a $3.50 spring. Anyone got suggestions?

Buy two, spread the shipping. Lol. It’s still cheap
Insurance with that ****ed up shipping.

Or you could shop the internet and find another seller.

PB

crosseyedshooter
04-12-23, 14:34
While searching for the apparent part number, "CS037-M2-S17", I ended up at a spring manufacturer's website (https://www.smalley.com/wave-spring/cs037-m2). Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Pappabear
04-12-23, 17:10
While searching for the apparent part number, "CS037-M2-S17", I ended up at a spring manufacturer's website (https://www.smalley.com/wave-spring/cs037-m2). Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Did you order from them? Looks like a mass mfg type site. Ie they build one for you then you buy 10,000

Try V1 tactical, they stock a lot of LMT gear, mucho.

PB