PDA

View Full Version : Ambi Lowers - Good, bad, ugly(?)

Dutch110
12-20-22, 10:00
This question came up in another thread. Ambi lowers. Which ones do you like. Which ones do you not like. And are they even necessary?

I bought an LWRCi about a year ago and it has been my first and only true ambi lower. I personally love it but in day to day shooting and training find that I don't use the bolt release on the right side nearly as much as I thought I would. I guess if doing left hand reloads it would come in handy. And maybe this points to a gap in my training regimen more than anything.

All my other rifles are home grown. I tend to use FCD parts on the lowers and have found that setting them up with an ambi safety and mag release works for 90% of the shooting/training I do.

Curious to hear everyone else's thoughts and opinions as I know there are a TON of different approaches to this in the market.

trauma
12-20-22, 10:13
Grossly overrated IMO, waste of money.

What KAC charges for these is insane by the way.

czgunner
12-20-22, 10:18
The mantra has been "only standard/righty so you don't get training scars and make mistakes when using a non ambi weapon."
Modern fighting technique has us shooting from both shoulders, so I think ambi is helpful. Just my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

xFREDx
12-20-22, 10:19
ambi is great for lefts and people who train (not just shooting strong side but off hand). If you don't train off hand i believe ambi is just a plus to have but not needed. it can really help righties though even if not training the left side. the LWRCI ad the MARS are pretty much the same. The Radian is the best ambi in my opinion followed by the ADM for billet. MARS and LWRCI for forged. the rest of them i believe are not true ambis as they just have a bolt release and most need an ambi mag release to put in there. you can easlily make a milspec forged lower mostly ambi. i think the redicatch will help with it but it isn't an ambi mag release. You can get a CMT ambo billet lower and install a redi catch mag release aide and it will be fully ambi and function almost idientical to the Radian. i believe the CMT ambi billet lowers are like $210. only comes with the bolt release stuff.

markm
12-20-22, 11:16
Grossly overrated IMO, waste of money.

What KAC charges for these is insane by the way.

Totally agree. With non-ambi I can work the levers in my sleep. When I jump onto an ambi, I can't even remember WTF the mag catch is. It's not the end of the world, but why pay WAY more for more ass ache?

ssc
12-20-22, 11:25
Totally agree. With non-ambi I can work the levers in my sleep. When I jump onto an ambi, I can't even remember WTF the mag catch is. It's not the end of the world, but why pay WAY more for more ass ache?

Absolutely agree.

Cheers, Steve

crosseyedshooter
12-20-22, 11:27
I can’t think of any “ambi” control that can’t be added to a standard lower. Selector lever? FCD, Radian, BAD, etc. Mag release? FCD, Troy, etc. Bolt catch/release? Magpul, Phase5, Troy, etc.

Ironically, the latest “full ambi” function for lowers is the right-side bolt catch/release which is mostly useful to right-handed shooters.

Hank6046
12-20-22, 11:34
I really like my ADM ambi lowers, I know that there are "training scars" but I don't think it is near as bad as people make it out to be and I can still run both just fine. I have a GPS system in my truck, and while I can still read a map it just makes it easier and more comfortable to use, the same with Ambi lowers. Now, if it doesn't work for you then so be it, but if it does more power to you. The only issue I have had with my ADM ambi lowers is dealing with Tango Down ARC mags, but mainly because the 30rds feeds from the other side, and everyonce in a while they don't lock back on an empty chamber due to the way that the ambi bolt release is engineered, only have 2 or 3 of those magazines out of a hundred Magpul, Lancers, Okay and C products so not to big of a deal for me, but I have shot them enough to see this happen.

titsonritz
12-20-22, 11:44
I am left-handed and use standard lowers with Radian CH, FCD selectors and mag releases.

Defaultmp3
12-20-22, 12:04
ambi is great for lefts and people who train (not just shooting strong side but off hand). If you don't train off hand i believe ambi is just a plus to have but not needed. it can really help righties though even if not training the left side. the LWRCI ad the MARS are pretty much the same. The Radian is the best ambi in my opinion followed by the ADM for billet. MARS and LWRCI for forged. the rest of them i believe are not true ambis as they just have a bolt release and most need an ambi mag release to put in there. you can easlily make a milspec forged lower mostly ambi. i think the redicatch will help with it but it isn't an ambi mag release. You can get a CMT ambo billet lower and install a redi catch mag release aide and it will be fully ambi and function almost idientical to the Radian. i believe the CMT ambi billet lowers are like $210. only comes with the bolt release stuff.MVB as a full ambi forged lower, it has a pretty interesting trick in that the right side lever acts as both a bolt lock and bolt release, depending on the position of the bolt.

My friend and I have found the A-DAC functionality of the AX556 to be hugely helpful in malfunction clearances, something we regularly see when we roleplay as OPFOR (shitty Sim bolts with blown out extractors and ejectors is always a recipe for a lot of double feed clearances). Having a right side bolt catch is also nice, just from an administrative unloading and showing clear perspective, as a right handed shooter.

jackblack73
12-20-22, 13:30
I don’t own any ambi lowers but I do have Redi-Catches on my lowers. I like being able to lock the bolt open without removing my grip and don’t feel it’s that much of an advantage to be able to drop the bolt with my right hand. Hitting the bolt release with my left thumb after loading a mag is pretty quick.

JediGuy
12-20-22, 17:22
I find myself using the right side bolt catch, but that’s about it. I’m not lefty and don’t practice it that much.

Non-ambi ambi: One thing I do want to try is the CMMG Zeroed left side mag release. It looks closer to “right” from a visual standpoint only, compared to the Troy, Norgon, FCD, or KAC options. But I may be wrong.

e z money
01-01-23, 21:49
I'm left handed and I use Radian selector lever and I also use a Radian Raptor LT charging handle.

militarymoron
01-02-23, 00:48
I'm a lefty and have ambi controls on all my standard receivers (safety, mag release). Ambi charging handles as well. My fave receivers are the AXTS (before they became Radian) AX556 lowers. I had some input into the design/ergos when they were developing them.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-02-23, 02:12
I don’t own any ambi lowers but I do have Redi-Catches on my lowers. I like being able to lock the bolt open without removing my grip and don’t feel it’s that much of an advantage to be able to drop the bolt with my right hand. Hitting the bolt release with my left thumb after loading a mag is pretty quick.

On my game gun I have a BAD lever just because you have to lock and show clear after a stage. It would theoretically help with a malfunction, but then there is the chance that it will CAUSE a malfunction, so I don't use them on other guns.

My christmas present to myself was upgrading all my ARs to Ambi BCM safeties. Just so much easier to put the safety on with the meat of your right hand- just feels natural.

I have some ambi mag releases, but don't really use them- oddly inserting a mag with my right hand, even though it is dominant, seems odd. Never really realized how adept at that specific task my left hand has gotten.

I'm a lefty and have ambi controls on all my standard receivers (safety, mag release). Ambi charging handles as well. My fave receivers are the AXTS (before they became Radian) AX556 lowers. I had some input into the design/ergos when they were developing them.

The ambi charging handle is nice because it just 'works' if you muff the grip, and I agree that dropping the bolt with a BADish lever is nice, but it isn't that much faster (or it really isn't that slow) to smack the side of the receiver to drop the bolt.

To me, all the ambi stuff is a compromise because of the inherent AR structure/mechanism.

Watrdawg
01-02-23, 08:14
I have 2 parts on all of my weapons that are Ambi. The safety and charging handle. Other than that, personally I don't see a real need so far.

Diamondback
01-02-23, 12:04
As a southpaw, I prefer to keep it simple... gimme an ambi safety and I'm good, no other fancy gimmicks. I run the CH right-handed, slap the bolt release with right middle fingertip after I shove the mag in and hit the mag button with right thumb.

Simple technique, that way should I find myself needing to work somebody else's iron I can do so without any special adaptations--JMHO but I'm a fan of "consider things that optimize your gun for you, but make sure you can still work without them."

Pappabear
01-02-23, 12:11
I like a an ambi safety, the other is Ok not a huge deal one way or other. But if it is there, I will occasionally slap it when getting down on one of my MWS guns.

PB

rockapede
01-02-23, 12:12
Lefty here. My guns get ambi charging handles, selectors, and mag catches (Radian generally for the CH, FCD for the other two). I think the standard bolt catch works better for lefties anyway.

RUTGERS95
01-02-23, 17:18
I have them on my LMTs but generally not a fan. The reality is that many will never need to move shoulders or engage using full functionality of the ambi lower, despite what they weekend warrior classes profess. It takes far more practice and resilience that many will do to be 100% using left AND right side shouldering. Muscle memory matters

Diamondback
01-02-23, 17:21
Even though I fit most of my builds with Norgon-type mag catches, part of the reason I use my right thumb is my index fingers on both hands are too short to reach the release on other side.

titsonritz
01-02-23, 17:30
Lefty here. My guns get ambi charging handles, selectors, and mag catches (Radian generally for the CH, FCD for the other two). I think the standard bolt catch works better for lefties anyway.

I like the FCD version better, either forward or non-biased.

TMS951
01-03-23, 06:35
I have a Rainier/Mega ambi lower. I find it near impossible to depress the right side bolt release with my index finger. It requires too much pressure.

The left side mag release works well. You just have to remember it’s there. Which is the problem with ambi lowers. Unless you train enough with them you forget the parts are there. You are trained to manipulate your rifle other ways.

Adrenaline_6
01-03-23, 07:52
I have an ambi UIC ADM pistol lower with the Law Tactical folding adapter that should be coming in today. I need to get an 11.5" or 12.5" upper for it. Still undecided on which length to go with. Suppressors will be in whenever ATF pulls their head out. I guess I will find out if ambi is worth it or not.

Dutch110
01-03-23, 09:40
I like the FCD version better, either forward or non-biased.

I put a rearward bias on this last build (usually use non bias but they were OOS.) I am not sure what benefit, if any, it provides. I slap it like I slap it on reloads. But dimples are cool so there is that.....

Sidneyious
01-03-23, 23:54
Left hand long guns here because eye dominance.

I run an adm UIC 15 lower and radian ch

Otherwise I use norgon clones and radian ch and that's it.

I thought about getting the teal blue bravo or whoever it was for an ambi bolt release but after I heard about their shenanigans they won't be getting my money.

Eventually I'd love to get my 2 other ars on the UIC 15.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

VIP3R 237
01-04-23, 07:38
Lefty here, and I love the LMT mars lowers. So far it’s been my favorite lower and I’ve used the Axts (now radian) kac, adm, aero, and have milled an 80% to use the PDQ.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-04-23, 10:15
Lefty here, and I love the LMT mars lowers. So far it’s been my favorite lower and I’ve used the Axts (now radian) kac, adm, aero, and have milled an 80% to use the PDQ.

I wanted to standardize on these, but I could never find them in stock back when I was looking

BufordTJustice
01-05-23, 21:23
LMT MARS-L. FTW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

georgeib
01-05-23, 21:33
FWIW, PWS has an updated version of their Mk1 Mod 2-M ambi lower out. Looks to be fully ambi with safety, bolt lock and release, and mag release.

JediGuy
01-06-23, 05:14
FWIW, PWS has an updated version of their Mk1 Mod 2-M ambi lower out. Looks to be fully ambi with safety, bolt lock and release, and mag release.

When you can find one.

georgeib
01-06-23, 08:16
When you can find one.

There's that...

xFREDx
01-06-23, 10:16
not sure about the site but i think i saw good reviews on reddit for them. PWS true ambi lower

https://www.celtarms.com/products/pws-22-2m100sm1b-811154031273-00458-5375

Sidneyious
01-06-23, 16:04
at this point the adm is the best bang

Leicafan1990
01-11-23, 20:50
Ambi controls are somewhat overrated. But they can be useful sometimes. I only have one fully ambi lower, a Radian ADAC. It is very nice but it is super overpriced for what it is. The ability to lock the bolt back with the mag release is ingenious and frankly it should be standardized on all lowers. Luckily the Redi Catch exists to accomplish this on any milspec lower.

The ambi control I don’t understand is the left side mag release. The standard mag release is already very lefty friendly. Grab mag with right hand, hit mag release with right thumb. Pull mag out. Very simple.

Just my 2 cents.

The_War_Wagon
01-11-23, 22:25
I owned a Gen 3 POF-415 for a couple of years, & fell in love with the ambi-bolt release on that lower. The only thing I miss about that rifle (I sure don't miss the weight even though I have a Bren 805 now... to remind me of the weight I don't miss).

hk_shootr
01-15-23, 19:10
The LMT MARS gets it done for me

Dutch110
01-16-23, 11:42
Ambi controls are somewhat overrated. But they can be useful sometimes. I only have one fully ambi lower, a Radian ADAC. It is very nice but it is super overpriced for what it is. The ability to lock the bolt back with the mag release is ingenious and frankly it should be standardized on all lowers. Luckily the Redi Catch exists to accomplish this on any milspec lower.

The ambi control I don’t understand is the left side mag release. The standard mag release is already very lefty friendly. Grab mag with right hand, hit mag release with right thumb. Pull mag out. Very simple.

Just my 2 cents.

As a righty that's actually the one I use the most but only if I am going for a tactical reload and retaining the mag. If I am dumping an empty one then I use the right side release.