PDA

View Full Version : Cops convicted of murder when fleeing suspect dies in crash...

OutofBatt3ry
12-23-22, 11:22
https://www.foxnews.com/us/washington-dc-police-officers-guilty-death-moped-chase

If you run from the cops on your moped and die, how is that the cops fault?

DC is such a shithole.

markm
12-23-22, 11:38
This is all part of an assault on law and order. The criminals are not to be touched. They're crapping out the cops in blue states, losing them in droves, and will eventually recruit nutbag leftists who know not to ever bother a person of color committing a crime.

This can be nothing other than an organized plan to create chaos and disorder.

WillBrink
12-23-22, 11:52
https://www.foxnews.com/us/washington-dc-police-officers-guilty-death-moped-chase

DC is such a shithole.

There's a reason many are leaving the force in key areas/cities and where as there used to be many looking to be LEOs, they're having slots they can't fill and offering sign up bonus etc,

Obviously a large part of the reason crimes rates are going way up in those areas/cities.

jsbhike
12-23-22, 11:55

DC is such a shithole.

I don't get the murder charge, but the after party is an issue.

"Prosecutors alleged both officers conspired to hide the events that led to Hylton's death, such as failing to tell superior officers about the seriousness of his injuries. They also allegedly deactivated their body cameras minutes after the collision and failed to take statements from witnesses at the scene."

Is it due to a death resulting from other criminal behavior....kind of like the getaway driver being charged with murder if a bank teller gets killed in a robbery inside the bank?

gunnerblue
12-23-22, 15:49
These days in law enforcement it's generally the cover-up that gets you more than the actual crime.

ABNAK
12-23-22, 20:00
I don't get the murder charge, but the after party is an issue.

"Prosecutors alleged both officers conspired to hide the events that led to Hylton's death, such as failing to tell superior officers about the seriousness of his injuries. They also allegedly deactivated their body cameras minutes after the collision and failed to take statements from witnesses at the scene."

Is it due to a death resulting from other criminal behavior....kind of like the getaway driver being charged with murder if a bank teller gets killed in a robbery inside the bank?

No, the perp died being a perp. That said, how many times have people gotten into hot water for covering up things that should have been left alone? Nixon comes to mind (assuming he didn't know about the break-in beforehand). There are many other instances of CYA by lying or deception that have been and will always be a reaction to a potential prison sentence. Some people have ethics and face the music, many don't.

jsbhike
12-23-22, 22:32
No, the perp died being a perp. That said, how many times have people gotten into hot water for covering up things that should have been left alone? Nixon comes to mind (assuming he didn't know about the break-in beforehand). There are many other instances of CYA by lying or deception that have been and will always be a reaction to a potential prison sentence. Some people have ethics and face the music, many don't.

Also the issue of:

"The pursuit appeared to violate the Metropolitan Police Department's policy prohibiting chases. High-speed chases are barred over minor traffic offenses."

SteyrAUG
12-24-22, 02:40
These days in law enforcement it's generally the cover-up that gets you more than the actual crime.

Yep. Acknowledgement of the f up and a sincere "we never intended it to happen that way" is really the only card to play when it all goes terribly wrong. Bonus points if you man up and accept "it's on us though" and take your licks. You just might get some actual justice.

mark5pt56
12-24-22, 07:20
The biggest thing in LE that will get you is lying, folks forget that for ANYONE all you have is your word. For LE it's more important as your work has to be exact as peoples lives, livelihood, is at stake. You also establish a reputation very early in the courts, the judges do not like garbage coming in. I see that one as an obvious integrity issue but also training and leadership.

I think my last big arrest was an example. Quick story is I chased a bank robber down, could've legally shot him 2-3 times before getting hands on and twice more while in a ghetto ditch but beat him unconscious with my pistol. When the fight was over, de-escalated, cuffed and medical care rendered. Cavalry showed up and helped get him up the bank. Sure I could've made up some story about the bumps on his head but what I did was righteous under our policy and law. The Captain and Lt showed up, I gave them a warning about how he got into cuffs and would be reflected in my UOF report. He just shrugged and said, oh well, no big deal. His actions were to the point to warrant deadly force, so the blows to the head, however they came are authorized. Funny, we found 3 cash registers down there afterwards!. Who know how long they had been there but there was a gas station and a 7-11 nearby, so.

I did joke the Captain about how I happened to be in the area, pure happenstance. Someone on another shift failed to contact the duty sergeant on a death investigation, just so happens the case should've had the medical examiner involved. So the captain got pissed and mandated that the sergeant respond to all death cases. Yep, I happened to be close on one of those while a bank job went down and caught the guy.

I have no idea what our pursuit policy is now, don't care. It reminds me one night when I called off one, verified all units understood. A moment later, unit reports a crash at x location. Wasn't to hard to figure out time frames at termination to crash point and how fast everyone was going. Since it was a serious life threaten injury the Crash Team had to work it. When I arrived on scene the first thing I said was a polite reminder to report exactly how it happened. Everyone involved knew that there may be some time off but don't f'ing lie about it.

jsbhike
12-24-22, 09:48
Yep. Acknowledgement of the f up and a sincere "we never intended it to happen that way" is really the only card to play when it all goes terribly wrong. Bonus points if you man up and accept "it's on us though" and take your licks. You just might get some actual justice.

That's actually a problem too.

Anderson's lies about Morton weren't punished.

Anderson's lies to jurors weren't punished.

Anderson's lies to other officials(the only party not harmed by his lying) hurt their feelings a little so they gave him an ever so light punishment.

https://www.texastribune.org/2013/11/08/ken-anderson-serve-jail-time-give-law-license/

jsbhike
12-24-22, 09:53
The biggest thing in LE that will get you is lying, folks forget that for ANYONE all you have is your word. For LE it's more important as your work has to be exact as peoples lives, livelihood, is at stake. You also establish a reputation very early in the courts, the judges do not like garbage coming in. I see that one as an obvious integrity issue but also training and leadership.

I think my last big arrest was an example. Quick story is I chased a bank robber down, could've legally shot him 2-3 times before getting hands on and twice more while in a ghetto ditch but beat him unconscious with my pistol. When the fight was over, de-escalated, cuffed and medical care rendered. Cavalry showed up and helped get him up the bank. Sure I could've made up some story about the bumps on his head but what I did was righteous under our policy and law. The Captain and Lt showed up, I gave them a warning about how he got into cuffs and would be reflected in my UOF report. He just shrugged and said, oh well, no big deal. His actions were to the point to warrant deadly force, so the blows to the head, however they came are authorized. Funny, we found 3 cash registers down there afterwards!. Who know how long they had been there but there was a gas station and a 7-11 nearby, so.

I did joke the Captain about how I happened to be in the area, pure happenstance. Someone on another shift failed to contact the duty sergeant on a death investigation, just so happens the case should've had the medical examiner involved. So the captain got pissed and mandated that the sergeant respond to all death cases. Yep, I happened to be close on one of those while a bank job went down and caught the guy.

I have no idea what our pursuit policy is now, don't care. It reminds me one night when I called off one, verified all units understood. A moment later, unit reports a crash at x location. Wasn't to hard to figure out time frames at termination to crash point and how fast everyone was going. Since it was a serious life threaten injury the Crash Team had to work it. When I arrived on scene the first thing I said was a polite reminder to report exactly how it happened. Everyone involved knew that there may be some time off but don't f'ing lie about it.

That's as it should be and there agencies and areas that operate in that manner.

But, there is the whole Brady List issue and agencies/areas that resist that bare bones minimum. The latter 2 will also gladly accept those condemned and canned by the former.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-24-22, 09:56
Should there be massive civil penalties for these officers? Absolutely.

Should they be fired and put on the Brady List? Absolutely.

Should they be charged and then convicted of murder? Absolutely not.

What a travesty of justice.