PDA

View Full Version : Only one thing left to complete this rifle....

USMC
06-18-06, 23:50
....the optics! I think I'm gonna get an Eotech 511, Any better ideas?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/USMC/Complete/SDmega3.jpg

Sun Devil lower
DPMS LPK
DPMS rear sight
YHM front sight
Mega upper
Oly SS barrel
Oly BCG
Oly FIRSH FF handguards
??? VFG (old one I had laying around)

MaceWindu
06-19-06, 01:04
I think I'm gonna get an Eotech 511, Any better ideas?

Don't forget the Larue EoTech mount to go with it!!!

Mace

VA_Dinger
06-19-06, 03:15
I would go with the 512. The AA batteries are easier to find and last longer.

DevilDog
06-19-06, 14:38
I'll second the recommendation on the 512 model. With your railed forend, you don't have real estate issues with the longer AA model. Plus there are AA lithium batteries to increase the battery life even more.

USMC
06-19-06, 14:45
I'm not oppossed to the 512. I was only gonna go with the 511 becuse I have a 551 and they use the same batteries but AA's would be cheaper and they will last longer.

G19Tony
06-19-06, 17:36
I have a 551 and my next EOTech will most likely be a 511. I found N batteries at Botach for a good price. I think it was $10 for 20 Energizer's. I'm not opposed to a 512 either, I just like compact stuff.

BookHound
06-26-06, 16:54
I had a 511 and got real tired of the batteries wearing out so fast. I vote 512.

Edit to say I'm in the habit of leaving my Aimpoints on because of the really long battery life. With the EOThingy I would leave it on and it would eventually shut off. But that's why I burned through batteries so fast.

nickdrak
06-29-06, 13:54
Another vote for the 512 with a LaRue mount.

jmart
06-29-06, 18:07
Get a Tripower and report out on it. We cheap bastards (well, at least this cheap bastard) can't afford such luxuries so we rely on other users' reports before plunking down our cash.;)

Otherwise, echo the recommendation on the 512. AA lithiums are a much better power source. Plus, you got all that rail to play with, it's not like you're lacking real estate.

nickdrak
06-30-06, 04:19
jmart,
I have the latest generation Tripower, and I really like it alot. THE CHEVRON RULES!!! I had the first generation Tripower as well, and the latest is a nice improvement over it. The new aluminum body is very solid. They removed the cylume stick back-up source, which I think was a good idea. The only issue I have with it is the low brightness of the tritium. It is almost invisible in complete darkness without NV, so in low light/complete darkness, you must use the battery to power the chevron. It was dimmed down a bit to be more compatible with NV, as the earlier generation Tripowers had a slightly brighter tritium. I feel the new Tripower is as good or better then the Aimpoint IF you have access to NVG. Without NV it is still excellent, but it would be nice if Trijicon made a version of the Tripower with an ultra bright tritium for use in low light/complete darkness without the use of NV. The extra cost of the Tripower will turn many shooters looking for a new optic toward the Aimpoint/Eotech option, but I feel the new design along with the chevron make the latest Tripower a great choice. It also works perfectly with all of the LaRue Aimpoint mount currently available which is also one less thing to worry about.

ETA: Sorry for the hijack! I posted my review in the optics forum here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=2495#post2495

jmart
06-30-06, 10:34
How do you compare the Tripower to an EoTech or Aimpoint during daylight hours?

What about low light (dawn/dusk)?

Considering I don't have NV gear, when you mention the shortcomings in complete darkness, is this a case where can you ID your target but you can't see the chevron or are both invisible?

C4IGrant
07-01-06, 20:51
How do you compare the Tripower to an EoTech or Aimpoint during daylight hours?

What about low light (dawn/dusk)?

Considering I don't have NV gear, when you mention the shortcomings in complete darkness, is this a case where can you ID your target but you can't see the chevron or are both invisible?

The TriPower is just as bright in full sun as an Aimpoint IMHO. In low light, you can either rely on the Tritium or the battery.

C4

SOPMOOD
11-09-06, 16:00
I just purchased a Tri-Power last week, have not taken it to the range to zero yet, but is sure looks pretty. They are not really expensive, Botach has them for $399.00 plus S&H
http://store.botachtactical.com/trtr.html
I can't wait to zero mine. Now if my 7 week old son would just cooperate.

Chris_C
11-09-06, 16:41
Thats a smart lookin' rifle. What are you going to go with for rail panels? I used to be a Knights freak, but I am since found the Tango Down ones easier to work with.

Interesting reading so far on the Tri-Power. I often wonder why we dont see more of them on AR's, they seem like a good fit.

Semper Gumby.