PDA

View Full Version : Spent casing bounces off wall and hits primer on table, goes bang.

WillBrink
12-28-22, 15:36
Didn't find on YT, only reddit. You could try a million times to reproduce that and fail:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Glocks/comments/zvvd8a/spent_casing_bounces_off_wall_and_hits_primer_on/

LoboTBL
12-28-22, 16:22
Well, it seems that's one for the Strange and Improbable but True category.

Averageman
12-28-22, 16:26
Very odd that it ejected an unfired live round isn't it?

titsonritz
12-28-22, 17:33
Maybe the dorks that preach not to dry fire practice with live ammo in the same room are on to something.

WillBrink
12-28-22, 17:35
Very odd that it ejected an unfired live round isn't it?

I believe that was a spent casing no?

SteyrAUG
12-28-22, 17:49
I believe that was a spent casing no?

Would be impossible since primer is source of ignition. Somebody cycled a live round.

WillBrink
12-28-22, 18:19
Would be impossible since primer is source of ignition. Somebody cycled a live round.

I assumed spent case hits the primer of the rnds below. That's the source of ignition. I have not ever seen a gun cycle a live rnd while shooting myself. Below the vid:

"...a casing bounce off the wall and then hit the ammo on the table striking it perfect enough for the primer to go off "

Averageman
12-28-22, 20:13
I assumed spent case hits the primer of the rnds below. That's the source of ignition. I have not ever seen a gun cycle a live rnd while shooting myself. Below the vid:

"...a casing bounce off the wall and then hit the ammo on the table striking it perfect enough for the primer to go off "

That makes much more sense than what I thought I saw.

SteyrAUG
12-28-22, 22:10

My misunderstanding, I thought the "spent case" somehow was the discharged round.

hotbiggun42
12-28-22, 22:17
Weird

mark5pt56
12-29-22, 06:27
In all of my time at he ranges in NE NC, only observed this happened once there. Keep in mind these are gravel ranges and a st of brass, etc. To add, when clearing firearms, you did not catch rounds so there was a lot of opportunities for it to occur. The only other time was a guy clearing at the trunk of his car, no body could believe it until I looked and found the base of the casing and you could see the jagged imprint from a rock on the primer. it happens boys, just very rare. Perspective, this is over 20 years on those ranges.

georgeib
12-29-22, 08:09
Wow! I really thought primers needed to be hit quite a bit harder than that.

Ron3
12-30-22, 13:33

I have several times.

Not saying that was the case (get it?) here, but I've seen / had guns spit out a complete cartridge while firing. Usually resulting in a stoppage but not every time!

Guns can do weird things.

Ron3
12-30-22, 13:37
I once punched out a new primer while reloading.

It was a "test" casing and I thought it had a used primer but at some point i loaded a new one.

I popped it out with vigor on my press and then remembered i had already replaced that primer.

It didn't pop. I loaded it back in the case, finished it, and kept it separate. It worked just fine next range day.

WillBrink
12-30-22, 14:17
I have several times.

Not saying that was the case (get it?) here, but I've seen / had guns spit out a complete cartridge while firing. Usually resulting in a stoppage but not every time!

Guns can do weird things.

Seen/experienced stove pipes, never seen a live rnd ejected myself.

Averageman
12-30-22, 22:36
Seen/experienced stove pipes, never seen a live rnd ejected myself.

Bro, you got it wrong.
The way I understand it an ejected casing hit the primer of a round already laying loose on the table, then we got the "Pop".
I watched it three time and thought I saw a live round eject, but that wasn't what I saw.
The ejected round hit the primer of a live round on the table.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-31-22, 01:17
What about loose packed ammo in bulk? Either the rim or a bullet tip hitting a primer?

WillBrink
12-31-22, 08:07
Bro, you got it wrong.
The way I understand it an ejected casing hit the primer of a round already laying loose on the table, then we got the "Pop".
I watched it three time and thought I saw a live round eject, but that wasn't what I saw.
The ejected round hit the primer of a live round on the table.

Been correct all along, per OP, post #7, etc. Empty case hit primer on live round on the table.

Ron3
12-31-22, 11:28
What about loose packed ammo in bulk? Either the rim or a bullet tip hitting a primer?

I've had that thought. Loose rounds in a ziplock bag in a bag with other range stuff in it...doesn't seem to happen though.

LoboTBL
01-01-23, 13:55
I'm just thinking of all the bulk packed ammo that is routinely shipped all over the country. I don't think there is much of a risk to transporting loose packed bulk ammo.

Pappabear
01-01-23, 14:04
This falls under shit happens. I mean shit happens, WTF.

PB

tb-av
01-06-23, 15:05
Someone on this forum had that happen a few years ago. I remember the thread. If not exactly the same, very similar.