PDA

View Full Version : Changes in store for Army SOF?

Slater
12-28-22, 20:09
A good thing or a bad thing?

"The command is experimenting with expanding the size of the Special Forces operational detachment-alpha from the traditional 12 soldiers to 16. Other “convergence” efforts are underway to integrate all three branches of Army SOF at the battalion and brigade headquarters levels rather than keeping them siloed by branch as they currently are.

Braga also said that the command is experimenting with creating a new career field with a tech focus to help take some of the technical load off of the soldiers currently on the teams.

The commander indicated that other options could be on the table as well, such as restructuring the reserve component civil affairs and psychological operations formations."

https://www.defensenews.com/news/your-army/2022/12/28/army-special-operations-rethinking-force-structure-tech/

Wake27
12-28-22, 20:22
Huh. Big shake up to team dynamics. I guess it could have benefits but I’d immediately have concerns about the combat oriented portion of SF’s mission. I guess the CA, PO, and whatever other MOS getting added to the ODA would be expected to gun just as well but that sounds like where expectations and reality fail to meet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chuckman
12-29-22, 09:40
This has generated a bunch of discussion at Bragg. The issue isn't 'size' because an ODA can flex up or down to accommodate a variety of value-added personnel, but operational and logistical questions like 'how many 18As and 180s?', 'how do you determine who is in charge if you have more than one 18A?', 'how many team sergeants?'

They think the integration at batt level and higher and adding tech-heavy support is a good idea (the latter is already done with MARSOC). I know the 18Es go batty because they spend a lot of team room time doing things like fixing laptop IT issues, network issues, etc., and not doing 18E things.

I am curious as they plan to up-staff 18Ds, because a) longest MOS pipeline, b) hardest MOS pipeline, c) some teams are light with only one 18D as it is.

seb5
12-29-22, 09:50
I wonder if this has anything at all with aligning numbers wise with Naval Spec War? Their basic platoon is this size. I do know that it is a very different mission though.

Wake27
12-29-22, 10:04
This has generated a bunch of discussion at Bragg. The issue isn't 'size' because an ODA can flex up or down to accommodate a variety of value-added personnel, but operational and logistical questions like 'how many 18As and 180s?', 'how do you determine who is in charge if you have more than one 18A?', 'how many team sergeants?'

They think the integration at batt level and higher and adding tech-heavy support is a good idea (the latter is already done with MARSOC). I know the 18Es go batty because they spend a lot of team room time doing things like fixing laptop IT issues, network issues, etc., and not doing 18E things.

I am curious as they plan to up-staff 18Ds, because a) longest MOS pipeline, b) hardest MOS pipeline, c) some teams are light with only one 18D as it is.

Why would they add another 180 or A for four more guys?

chuckman
12-29-22, 10:08
Why would they add another 180 or A for four more guys?

None of them know the composition of the proposed ODAs. They are asking questions; these are just among the many questions. None of them have indigestion about ODA size changes per se, because they often deploy in small numbers or enhanced ODA size and everything in between. They just want to know what the changes mean.

Wake27
12-29-22, 11:19
1st SFC(A) has been pushing PO/CA/SF interoperability for years, at least. Between the discussion of combining at BN and above levels, and adding tech specialties like cyber, I’m betting few to none of these proposed new team members will be GBs. Unless something has changed in the last few months, they’d need to do some serious restructuring or growing to even have enough enlisted 18s to add to every team. Though they’re always crazy over strength on As so that’d be the one area they may be able to do.

I don’t know, this is all just me speculating from outside of the community now.

chuckman
12-29-22, 11:41
1st SFC(A) has been pushing PO/CA/SF interoperability for years, at least. Between the discussion of combining at BN and above levels, and adding tech specialties like cyber, I’m betting few to none of these proposed new team members will be GBs. Unless something has changed in the last few months, they’d need to do some serious restructuring or growing to even have enough enlisted 18s to add to every team. Though they’re always crazy over strength on As so that’d be the one area they may be able to do.

I don’t know, this is all just me speculating from outside of the community now.

Indeed they have options. I agree, the new MOSs may very well not be 18 series MOS, especially if they are pushing integration. You are also right, they are not getting enough people out of the pipeline to fill the existing ODA billets as it is.

The Marines have done this type of integration successfully with value-added SOCs and SOCS-S with the CSOs (their version of 18 series MOS). Those guys flex up and down all the time. I wonder if this is was army SOCOM is looking at.

FWIW, I am not the SF whisperer. With my current job I work with the medical side at the SOTG medical schoolhouse, and I work with some of the 3rd group 18Ds, so I am down there quite a bit and we have these informal discussions. I have also been out of the biz for a minute, so this is how an old man like myself stays engaged.

Averageman
12-29-22, 12:37
Indeed they have options. I agree, the new MOSs may very well not be 18 series MOS, especially if they are pushing integration. You are also right, they are not getting enough people out of the pipeline to fill the existing ODA billets as it is.

The Marines have done this type of integration successfully with value-added SOCs and SOCS-S with the CSOs (their version of 18 series MOS). Those guys flex up and down all the time. I wonder if this is was army SOCOM is looking at.

FWIW, I am not the SF whisperer. With my current job I work with the medical side at the SOTG medical schoolhouse, and I work with some of the 3rd group 18Ds, so I am down there quite a bit and we have these informal discussions. I have also been out of the biz for a minute, so this is how an old man like myself stays engaged.

I think we might have a mutual friend.

chuckman
12-29-22, 18:50
I think we might have a mutual friend.

Message me his name. That's a small community.