PDA

View Full Version : The movie "Fall"

hotbiggun42
12-29-22, 20:02
2 climbers scale a 2000ft TV tower and get stuck at the top.
How can watching a movie make you queezy. Lol
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aa5MXOMN1lM

militarymoron
12-29-22, 20:27
My hands get sweaty just watching rock climbing.

gsd2053
12-29-22, 20:58
That looks like a nut twister

hotbiggun42
12-30-22, 11:21
My hands get sweaty just watching rock climbing.

I hear that. This movie is not for people who are afraid of hieghts. Like me

militarymoron
12-30-22, 11:49
I hear that. This movie is not for people who are afraid of hieghts. Like me

I actually rock climb, but we can be watching rock climbing competitions on tv and my hands just get sweaty - not from fear, but maybe anticipation/excitement, lol. Thank goodness for chalk. I think it's just natural to be afraid of heights if you have any self-preservation sense. I've just gotten used to it, but only under controlled circumstances. I'd never be able to free solo or do anything crazy without the protection of a rope.

Anyway, I watched some of this movie and you just have to suspend belief if you know anything about rock climbing. The opening rock climbing scenes and what they did just didn't make sense and a lot of what they did is physically impossible. But, it's a movie. :)

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-30-22, 12:10
I am scared of heights like that and also claustrophobic- and as I get older, they get worse.

grnamin
12-30-22, 17:28
As an aside, but still related, there's this one rock climber who wears a parachute, just in case.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

hotbiggun42
12-30-22, 20:23
As an aside, but still related, there's this one rock climber who wears a parachute, just in case.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Smart guy but the extra weight.

SteyrAUG
12-30-22, 20:38
I can't imagine watching a movie about two idiots who climb a 2,000 radio tower for any reason.

After reading the plot, I'd be cheering for them to fail due to idiocy and lack of basic precautions / preparation. Maybe it will be fun in a "The Green Inferno" kind of way.

Averageman
12-30-22, 22:29
I am scared of heights like that and also claustrophobic- and as I get older, they get worse.

Years ago I was a high rise cement laborer in Chicago. I worked with quite a few guys that laid cement on the Sears Tower.
Sometime during my first week I show up early and one of the guys I work with is standing there in the dark at his car trunk drinking beer. I asked him, "How can you drink that, then go all the way up there and work?" He said, "I drink to get the courage up to go up there and work."

Cokie
12-31-22, 21:22
2 climbers scale a 2000ft TV tower and get stuck at the top.
How can watching a movie make you queezy. Lol
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aa5MXOMN1lM

I watched this movie while laying in the floor and still felt like I was going to fall to my death. 5 stars I loved it

SteyrAUG
12-31-22, 22:26
Years ago I was a high rise cement laborer in Chicago. I worked with quite a few guys that laid cement on the Sears Tower.
Sometime during my first week I show up early and one of the guys I work with is standing there in the dark at his car trunk drinking beer. I asked him, "How can you drink that, then go all the way up there and work?" He said, "I drink to get the courage up to go up there and work."

Every time I see footage of "Girder Walkers" building the Empire State Building I realize I will never be as hardcore as those guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew3Bu7rt_Zg

LoboTBL
01-02-23, 22:11
I don't have a 'fear' of heights but I do have a healthy respect for them and a strong sense of self preservation. I've done a lot of climbing and rappelling, standing on the edge of a tower or rock ledge or the skids of a helicopter with nothing but a piece of 3/8" rope as a safety tether, and some tower work after I got out of the military and still get that feeling in my gut whenever looking over the edge of something more than around 20' off the ground.

hotbiggun42
01-02-23, 22:25
I don't have a 'fear' of heights but I do have a healthy respect for them and a strong sense of self preservation. I've done a lot of climbing and rappelling, standing on the edge of a tower or rock ledge or the skids of a helicopter with nothing but a piece of 3/8" rope as a safety tether, and some tower work after I got out of the military and still get that feeling in my gut whenever looking over the edge of something more than around 20' off the ground.

My Uncle who is 80 was showing me pictures of himself working on skyscapers, no safety straps. I asked him how he was able to do it and not have a fear or hieghts. He said he hated it but it was his job.

SteyrAUG
01-02-23, 22:29

I'm somewhere between "fear" and "respect" so as a consequence I climbed everything as a kid to push the boundary. I used to almost live in trees and would sometimes sit up there for half an hour just looking at the view. But once I got past a certain height "caution and deliberate movement" were the order of the day.

LoboTBL
01-02-23, 22:41
I'm somewhere between "fear" and "respect" so as a consequence I climbed everything as a kid to push the boundary. I used to almost live in trees and would sometimes sit up there for half an hour just looking at the view. But once I got past a certain height "caution and deliberate movement" were the order of the day.

My buddies and I practically lived in the sketchy as all hell tree forts we built when I was kid too. I definitely get the "caution and deliberate movement" reference. I somehow managed to never break a bone until I was 35 and have managed not too ever since.

I can't even imagine doing tower work or skyscraper work without a safety line.

SteyrAUG
01-03-23, 01:28
My buddies and I practically lived in the sketchy as all hell tree forts we built when I was kid too. I definitely get the "caution and deliberate movement" reference. I somehow managed to never break a bone until I was 35 and have managed not too ever since.

I can't even imagine doing tower work or skyscraper work without a safety line.

You mean like wood pallets tied to tree branches with nylon rope? Yeah, we had our sketchy tree forts too. After school there were times I'd grab a bag of chips, a 2 liter bottle of coke and my binos and just track everything moving for 6 blocks since I was one story higher than every house in my neighborhood. We had our "fort" so high in the damn tree it would move 2 feet back and forth in the wind.

I'm 100% certain I couldn't do tower or skyscraper work at all. No safety line in the world could get me that high. My limit is about four stories.

joedirt199
01-03-23, 07:29
When I was working the road, we had a couple kids climb a radio tower high on shrooms. One went up about half way and came back down, the other went to the top. He got stuck on the platform and his buddy went for help. Several neighboring fire depts came but no one wanted to climb up. Last ditch thought was to get a helicopter and grab him off. He decided he was tired of waiting and started down one of the guide wires. When his hands got tired he wrapped his arms and legs around the wire and started sliding. When he got to the bottom, there is a giant concrete block that anchors the wire and the cable has 2 giant bolts sticking out. He jabbed those bolts right in both butt cheeks. His inside of elbows and backs of knees where burnt down to the bone. Pretty nasty stuff. I think he lost both arms a month or so later from complications. He said the radio waves were cooking him up there and that is why he came down the wire. Who knows when you are on shrooms.

Buddy and I clkmbed a water tower but that is as high as I have gone. Radio/tv towers are a whole nother ball game.

A cell tower repair man I transported once said there are towers in Chicago that you have to be dropped off by helicopter because of how high they are. He had a collostamy bag. I asked what he did with it when he was up a tower. Emptied it over the side. Look out below!

Averageman
01-03-23, 07:59
Buddy and I climbed a water tower but that is as high as I have gone. Radio/tv towers are a whole nother ball game.

When I was a teen we hauled two cases of beer up a water tower and got on top next to the light. Because the Water Tower was round the beer would start to slide/walk itself off the top if it sat for a minute.
Police have no sense of humor when it comes to getting five drunks off of a water tower.

hotbiggun42
01-03-23, 09:26
When I was working the road, we had a couple kids climb a radio tower high on shrooms. One went up about half way and came back down, the other went to the top. He got stuck on the platform and his buddy went for help. Several neighboring fire depts came but no one wanted to climb up. Last ditch thought was to get a helicopter and grab him off. He decided he was tired of waiting and started down one of the guide wires. When his hands got tired he wrapped his arms and legs around the wire and started sliding. When he got to the bottom, there is a giant concrete block that anchors the wire and the cable has 2 giant bolts sticking out. He jabbed those bolts right in both butt cheeks. His inside of elbows and backs of knees where burnt down to the bone. Pretty nasty stuff. I think he lost both arms a month or so later from complications. He said the radio waves were cooking him up there and that is why he came down the wire. Who knows when you are on shrooms.

Buddy and I clkmbed a water tower but that is as high as I have gone. Radio/tv towers are a whole nother ball game.

A cell tower repair man I transported once said there are towers in Chicago that you have to be dropped off by helicopter because of how high they are. He had a collostamy bag. I asked what he did with it when he was up a tower. Emptied it over the side. Look out below!

Sonds like a plot for Fall 2.

Adrenaline_6
01-03-23, 09:52
There are twin towers like this on O'ahu (Lualualei) for sub communication. Somebody has to climb these to change the bulbs on them at the recommended intervals. From what I have heard, it's quite an effort and they eat lunch up there. Since it is guyed, the sway up top is measured in feet.

Stickman
01-04-23, 19:37
I actually rock climb, but we can be watching rock climbing competitions on tv and my hands just get sweaty - not from fear, but maybe anticipation/excitement, lol. Thank goodness for chalk. I think it's just natural to be afraid of heights if you have any self-preservation sense. I've just gotten used to it, but only under controlled circumstances. I'd never be able to free solo or do anything crazy without the protection of a rope.

Anyway, I watched some of this movie and you just have to suspend belief if you know anything about rock climbing. The opening rock climbing scenes and what they did just didn't make sense and a lot of what they did is physically impossible. But, it's a movie. :)

I had you figured as a rock climber from the first time I saw you! You probably have skill and grace on the vertical plane, I have monkey long arms and a grip that seems to find holds somehow.

The movie was interesting, and for me, and it was great secondary/ background activity while I was processing pics. Considering some of the low budget end of the world movies I watch, this one was a solid B.

Stickman
01-04-23, 19:39
There are twin towers like this on O'ahu (Lualualei) for sub communication. Somebody has to climb these to change the bulbs on them at the recommended intervals. From what I have heard, it's quite an effort and they eat lunch up there. Since it is guyed, the sway up top is measured in feet.

Its not that bad, I've had to go up large bridges walking the lines, as well as climbing some odd things and never had it bug me. I think its one of those things like snakes, you either like them or you don't. I would much rather climb than play with snakes.

Averageman
01-05-23, 00:50
Its not that bad, I've had to go up large bridges walking the lines, as well as climbing some odd things and never had it bug me. I think its one of those things like snakes, you either like them or you don't. I would much rather climb than play with snakes.

This is actually a hilarious story:

You definatly grow used to being up that high after a while.
I did the construction gig in the 70's and used a fake baptismal certificate to say I was 18 so I could go up there and get a Union card.
So why do get a job and then need some fake ID to actually work?
Because my Dad asked some Mob guys to help me out and my Uncle had a talk with a Priest.
And that's how construction work in Chicago is done.

Edit to add;
This kind of work, isnt for the weak of heart. I remember and electrician that was hit in the head by a large heavy piece if cement bracing, Homeboy died going to get a burrito off of the truck.

Adrenaline_6
01-05-23, 08:37

Yea, heights don't bother me too much. I did antenna maintenance for the Air Guard a long time ago, so I had to climb towers myself. Not near the heights of these guyed isolated towers are, but dealing with heights was still necessary. Snakes aren't too bad unless they're poisonous. I'm not messing with that...not worth it. Zero appeal to me there.