View Full Version : CQBL-1 + illuminator vs Dbal D2

JediGuy
12-31-22, 08:07
I can sell my mostly unused CQBL-1 (nonilluminator get) and pick up a new DBAL D2 for relatively not much more money. I’d make almost $300 on the CQBL sale, actually.

Am I gaining that much? Does anyone opt out of the D2 due to increased weight, etc?

12-31-22, 09:51
What illuminator are you currently using? Or do you not have one yet?

prepare
12-31-22, 11:13
https://youtu.be/VflXlW0Vk-g

JediGuy
12-31-22, 11:52
What illuminator are you currently using? Or do you not have one yet?

I do not. Had been planning on a Luna Elir until Russia did the thing, considered an Arisaka EX 250 on an Echo mount. Not in a rush, since I don’t have NODs yet. But someone wants to give me almost $1000 for the CQBL, so…made me wonder.

12-31-22, 13:04
I do not. Had been planning on a Luna Elir until Russia did the thing, considered an Arisaka EX 250 on an Echo mount. Not in a rush, since I don’t have NODs yet. But someone wants to give me almost $1000 for the CQBL, so…made me wonder.

Well, when you get NODs, the DBAL D2 will serve you well, at a good price point. Its competitive with the MAWL-C, although the switching and dialing the illum is not as quick. Its the only civ laser that I’ve used that is comparable in performance to the MAWL-C It is, however, a heckin’ chonker, and the battery compartment is in the front, which may require you to remove it or your front sight to change batteries, depending on your setup.

I absolutely recommend it, unless you can get a FP PEQ-15. MAWL pricing has grown from “too much” to “totally unreasonable”.

Alternatively, you can keep your CQBL, and get a separate illuminator, but that leaves you with multiple switches and all kinds of shit on the front of your gun, and the separate illuminators that I’ve tried have been underwhelming, and best suited to flooding at short range. The BE Meyers KIJI looks appealing, though.

There are some newer devices that look appealing, but I do not yet have personal experience with them.

The warranty on my PERST-3 sure got useless fast, so I feel you on the Luna.

JediGuy
12-31-22, 14:04
The Kiji looks cool, as does Phantom Hill’s stuff. Maybe I’ll hold for a bit.
Then again, $1237 for the DBAL seems pretty decent.

Ironman8
12-31-22, 23:24
I run a CQBL with 3v Malkoff EX IR-250. I would like to move to a Kiji at some point if I can ever find one in stock.

Why I like this system so much is that it is lighter than a D2 but you can also drop the illuminator off when you’re not using nods. I have mine on a Bobro QD scout mount and I can pop it on or off in a few seconds. This is on a GP rifle that isn’t dedicated to NV so I use it just as much (really more) in daylight as I do under nods. Another benefit is I can move that one illuminator around to multiple rifles if I have similar setups. The dual lead ModButton makes for a pretty simple switching solution although I have used the TAPS Sync as well.

To summarize, I personally don’t find that the D2 does anything that the CQBL/illuminator can’t at less weight, versatility, or actual function (IR illuminator).

JediGuy
01-01-23, 06:07
@Ironman8

Pretty sure your recommendations in other threads are what “inspired” me with the CQBL. I also have a dual lead Modbutton Lite ready for use. Good point with the QD option. I guess I could emulate that, but would need to as a 1913 segment, since all I have is MLOK at this point.

Have you compared the EX 250 to a DBAL D2’s illuminator? Per others, the D2 seems like it should be better, but you note as peer options.

RHINOWSO
01-01-23, 11:46
I run a CQBL with 3v Malkoff EX IR-250. I would like to move to a Kiji at some point if I can ever find one in stock.
The CQBL with Kiji 1-3 is awesome.

prepare
01-01-23, 14:16
The CQBL with Kiji 1-3 is awesome.

For $2K and that combo weighs 10oz more than the D2

Ironman8
01-01-23, 14:24
@Ironman8

Pretty sure your recommendations in other threads are what “inspired” me with the CQBL. I also have a dual lead Modbutton Lite ready for use. Good point with the QD option. I guess I could emulate that, but would need to as a 1913 segment, since all I have is MLOK at this point.

Have you compared the EX 250 to a DBAL D2’s illuminator? Per others, the D2 seems like it should be better, but you note as peer options.

No need for 1913 bro
https://www.bobroengineering.com/M-LOK-PIVOTING-QD-FLASHLIGHT-MOUNT_p_63.html

As for comparison, I didn’t mean it to sound like I’ve compared them directly. This was mainly going off of what reviews I could find of the D2. Based on reviews, I think the main thing you lose with the Malkoff vs D2 is the ability to focus the illuminator.

Just for reference, I started with the Modlite IR 850 and moved to the Malkoff due to how bad the Modlite autogated the tubes. The Malkoff still does it to some extent but I’ve been able to mitigate some of that by using a 950nm filter glued into a Butler Creek cap that fits onto the end of the light bezel. It also cuts some of the red glow. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07S965CTQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

All that said, as Rhinowso confirmed below, the Kiji 3° is probably the best way. It should give you MAWL-ish performance for a fraction of the cost and all the benefits of the separate illuminator system that I personally like.

Ironman8
01-01-23, 14:28
For $2K and that combo weighs 10oz more than the D2

How so? How does your math work out to that?

*Referring to your weight estimate. CQBL has been discontinued (as far as I know) but they were pretty prevalent on the used market for $5-600. There are other options for a IR laser only to pair with a Kiji such as an OTAL or Holosun units that wouldn’t work up to your $2k claim.

JediGuy
01-01-23, 14:48
For pricing, the DBAL becomes the lower price once adding a Kiji, assuming no deals on the Kiji.

DBAL $1237
CQBL-1 $590 + Kiji 3° $850 + Bobbi mount $87 = $1527

The CQBL+Kiji combo stays lower weight, substituting an Arisaka since I don’t see a weight for the Bobro:

DBAL 12.5oz

CQBL-1 w/battery 6.0oz + Kiji 3° w/battery 3.1oz + Arisaka inline mount 0.6oz = 9.7oz

We’ll see. I haven’t heard back about the sale, so it may be a non-issue.

prepare
01-01-23, 14:53
How so? How does your math work out to that?

*Referring to your weight estimate. CQBL has been discontinued (as far as I know) but they were pretty prevalent on the used market for $5-600. There are other options for a IR laser only to pair with a Kiji such as an OTAL or Holosun units that wouldn’t work up to your $2k claim.

I was looking at a different Kiji

01-01-23, 19:13

Just for reference, I started with the Modlite IR 850 and moved to the Malkoff due to how bad the Modlite autogated the tubes. The Malkoff still does it to some extent but I’ve been able to mitigate some of that by using a 950nm filter glued into a Butler Creek cap that fits onto the end of the light bezel. It also cuts some of the red glow. [

You might appreciate the Modlight IR 930.

Ironman8
01-01-23, 20:09
You might appreciate the Modlight IR 930.

Due to viz signature? How is it on throw? I understood that it wasn’t much different than a vampire so I passed on it trying to get more juice down range.

01-01-23, 20:14
Due to viz signature? How is it on throw? I understood that it wasn’t much different than a vampire so I passed on it trying to get more juice down range.

Its not big on throw. But it won’t usually gate my tubes, and as you say, it has less vis signature vs a 850. I still think a laser/illuminator combo unit is the way, though.

Ironman8
01-01-23, 20:27
Its not big on throw. But it won’t usually gate my tubes, and as you say, it has less vis signature vs a 850. I still think a laser/illuminator combo unit is the way, though.

I hear you. I’m not a professional end user so I don’t have (legit) access to full power units and I can’t bring myself to spend MAWL money. So to me, this was the best bang for buck setup.