PDA

View Full Version : College football bowl games and the wild ride of subjective rankings

Waylander
12-31-22, 17:16
TLDR;
I thought late season losses were supposed to be worse than early losses. My final CFP rankings pre playoff would be #1 GA, #2 MI, #3 OSU, #4 Bama

I’m one of the harshest critic-fans of Bama. Early on the season, I thought they probably didn’t deserve to win a few games but again on the two losses that were oh so close, they played like fire.

Bryce Young came back from an injury and put up 455 yards on a highly ranked Tennessee for TN to win on a last second field goal 52-49. Then they lost to LSU in OT 32-31. The closest of any games in the current top 4 CFP teams.

In hindsight, Bama just whipped K. State 45-20 in the Sugar Bowl.
K. State had also just beat #3 TCU 31-28 in OT. I thought late losses usually trump earlier losses like Bama’s. TCU had also been outranked by Bama all season until the first CFP poll when TCU miraculously jumped three spots.

ETA:
Forgot to add it’s looking like MI is going to take a lashing from TCU so there’s that.

Any predictions for the rest of the bowl games?

Sam
12-31-22, 17:47
My post has nothing to do with the top 4 ranking but it's about Clemson, the freshman quarterback to be exact.

I've never played organized football for one second and would probably be crushed to death in one play. But I've watched thousands of football games. Watching last night's game between Clemson and Tennessee, Clemson was inside TN's 15 yd line, with 20 seconds left before half time and NO time out. Clemson was behind in the scores. On 2nd down, the kid ran the ball for short gain, the camera showed Clemson's coach Dabo Sweeney signalling him to spike the ball to stop the clock, but he ignored him and proceeded to call another play. Then on 3rd down with less than 10 seconds left he ran the ball for another short game. End of half.

The coach had a long talk with him and the kid looked glassy eyed and mouthing off. Unbelievable. I'm just a viewer, but I wanted to jump through the tv and bench the punk.

Waylander
12-31-22, 18:19
More and more divas coming along. Getting paid for Name Image Likeness probably isn’t helping and they can just enter the transfer portal when they want.

Waylander
01-09-23, 20:16
Georgia is giving TCU a lop sided beating. 38-7 at half time!

ETA:
65-7 final score

P2Vaircrewman
01-10-23, 09:44
If it was a boxing match TCU could have thrown in the towel at half time.

Waylander
01-10-23, 10:28
If it was a boxing match TCU could have thrown in the towel at half time.

Then I thought Georgia was going to run out of guys off the bench to sub in.

chuckman
01-10-23, 13:07
I don't know that TCU is 'that bad' (though they were a few points away from a 8-4 season), but we know Georgia is 'that good.' They were as good as any team Alabama has fielded.

markm
01-11-23, 08:15
Christ! I miss the championship game EVERY friggin year. I'm not a big college football fan, but on Saturday's it's the only thing on, and the games are exciting.

At least I didn't miss a good game.

Waylander
01-11-23, 09:52
I don't know that TCU is 'that bad' (though they were a few points away from a 8-4 season), but we know Georgia is 'that good.' They were as good as any team Alabama has fielded.

Credit where credit is due, Georgia was that good for sure on every level. To see Ohio State nearly beat them just means the playoff committee got it as wrong as I’ve ever seen. A #3 Ohio State would’ve handled Michigan and while Georgia would’ve beat Bama by at least two or three touchdowns, it would’ve been a better game than GA vs TCU.

Christ! I miss the championship game EVERY friggin year. I'm not a big college football fan, but on Saturday's it's the only thing on, and the games are exciting.

At least I didn't miss a good game.

I have to literally set a reminder every year for a 7pm Monday night game on ESPN no less. Play on Saturday like the rest of the games. I mean, come on.

markm
01-11-23, 10:15
I have to literally set a reminder every year for a 7pm Monday night game on ESPN no less. Play on Saturday like the rest of the games. I mean, come on.

Totally agree. People could gather and make it an event.

Artos
01-11-23, 10:24
Nobody was gonna beat Ga on Monday...all cylinders were firing. It would have been a bloodbath regardless who was on the field that nite.

Heck, we were really close to having a Mi / Oh national championship...both of those games were just football fan greatness.

Now I'll start off by saying I'm biased as my son is a TCU graduate, but they most certainly deserved to be in the top four...bama lost two games. As a a football fan, TCU provided one of the funnest college seasons I've watched in years!! SO many half time come backs & last second wins.

That win over Baylor was loco...coach Sonny said they practice that rushed field goal every Thursday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC-yjia0wQ4