PDA

View Full Version : 14 dead US/Mexico Border Town

WillBrink
01-02-23, 08:13
The cartels now run the border, and now attacking with armored vehicles:

14 dead and dozens of inmates escape after gunmen in armored vehicles attack state prison in Mexico just across the border from El Paso

The armored attack resulted in 14 deaths and 24 inmates escaping the prison
It is not known how many gunmen were involved in the Ciudad Juarez attack
The dead included 10 prison guards and security agents, a statement said
Violence at the prison, including objects being set alight, also left 13 injured

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11591597/14-dead-dozens-inmates-escape-gunmen-armored-vehicles-attack-state-prison-Mexico.html

flenna
01-02-23, 08:53
When I was working in Reynosa (I left in 2008) Ciudad Juarez was considered one of the most dangerous cities in the world due to the cartels. The violence eventually spread to Reynosa which is why I left.

Stickman
01-02-23, 11:25
Its Mexico, and it has gotten worse and worse for a long time. When it comes to places like prisons, they should make it very clear any and all visible prisoners will be shot at any point there is a perceived escape attempt or attack on the prison.

OutofBatt3ry
01-02-23, 11:41
Remember that movie "Get the Gringo"?

Artos
01-02-23, 12:18
When I was working in Reynosa (I left in 2008) Ciudad Juarez was considered one of the most dangerous cities in the world due to the cartels. The violence eventually spread to Reynosa which is why I left.

Same here...I worked in Reynosa for 15yrs & finally called it quits. I got followed by 4 armed thugs leaving the Eaton facility, but think they just flagged my 05 Z71 Suburban (screams narco mobile) & peeled off once they saw I was a gringo. Informed my boss & all mexico travel procedures / job description changed overnight.

It's a shame & I am fortunate to have many fond memories of ole mex...spent every weekend in San Fernando (talk about a town going to the crapper) during whitewing season back in the 90's. Sneaking across the rio during HS to have drinks with the peeps. Dad & I would go have dinner sotb at least once a week back in the day. All gone.

henri
01-02-23, 12:25
Nothing coming out of mexico surprises me. I've spent time in Juarez (early 80's) Puerto Vallarta, Mexico City, and Morelia. It is the epitome of complete and total corruption, and nothing is even subtle about it. The police are criminals with badges, nothing more. Dealing with any type of .gov transaction is a lesson on the macabre coming out of the twilight zone. The daily interactions with people in cafes, shops, etc were benign enough, but overall, I would never return to mexico for any reason.

prepare
01-02-23, 12:27
Which side is Reynosa on?

Artos
01-02-23, 12:39
Mexico...right across from McAllen.

Averageman
01-02-23, 15:36
You know, the Cartels and the Mexican .gov are very likely a lot more comfortable with each other than we might like to admit.
Mexico is also sliding toward the Chinese and Communism and the Mexican .gov .mil are now training Central and South American Soldiers.
What Liberals fail to realise is how easy it would be for them to send terror teams into the US.

Sam
01-02-23, 16:40
This is life imitating art (movie Sicario), or was it the other way around?

sgtrock82
01-02-23, 16:41
Had some good times drinking in Juarez. It had a spicy reputation then but wasn't yet considered "off limits" (1997-98).

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

henri
01-02-23, 20:14
You know, the Cartels and the Mexican .gov are very likely a lot more comfortable with each other than we might like to admit.
Mexico is also sliding toward the Chinese and Communism and the Mexican .gov .mil are now training Central and South American Soldiers.
What Liberals fail to realise is how easy it would be for them to send terror teams into the US.

The cartel and the mexican .gov are almost one and the same, much much more than just comfortable. Mexican governors, mayors, military chiefs, and cartel members/chiefs are cousins, uncles, in-laws, etc. who may not always get along, hence the violent encounters between factions. Mexico, the epitome of an almost lawless, completely corrupt state, that should be avoided.
The tourist locations are nothing special and one can find superior beaches, landscapes, etc at other travel destinations.

SteyrAUG
01-02-23, 22:23
This is life imitating art (movie Sicario), or was it the other way around?

Sicario was a documentary.

Honestly, the Mexican cartels are the result of two factors.

1. The US finally being able to dramatically influence the Bahama corridor (multiple factors came into play over a short space of time) and reduce the trafficking of cocaine to south florida during the mid 1990s. This made Mexico a more viable route for drug smuggling and resulted in new criminal organizations who controlled the drugs flowing through that area.

2. The US training Mexican special forces in all aspects of drug interdiction and unconventional warfare and the mass defection that followed when Mexican special forces became part of the ground floor of the drug trade.

AndyLate
01-03-23, 06:34
I just hate knowing that the cartels' violence will continue to increase throughout the US, accelerated by the current US immigration policies and legalization of marijuana and other drugs.

Andy

WillBrink
01-03-23, 09:44
I just hate knowing that the cartels' violence will continue to increase throughout the US, accelerated by the current US immigration policies and legalization of marijuana and other drugs.

Andy

The absolute opposite is true. We are in this situation due to the legal status of MJ and other drugs. It's always hard for me to understand how otherwise intelligent people can't get that one, even when there's history and data so show it. The mob arose due to prohibition, and all the $ and the violence and the corruption, 100% due to prohibition. If you have not read up on the details to we made the mob rich, see:

https://prohibition.themobmuseum.org/the-history/the-rise-of-organized-crime/the-mob-during-prohibition/

We now do the same thing with the cartels...

Econ 101, where's there's demand there will be supply, full stop. We in the US drive and support all those cartels due to demand for their product.

War on drugs was lost a long time ago by ANY metric you wish to use and few deny that, and yet we just throw good $ after bad. No walls, no laws, no added funding to all those .gov agencies who use the laws to infringe on our Rights (capital R), will alter the demand, and thus the supply.

The war on drugs is scam to keep agencies that don't need to exist justify their existence, make various very wealthy, build private prisons, and trample year after year on our Const. Rights.

Most surprising to me is the people who can see that the "War on terror" has not made us safer yet has been used to infringe on our Rights, yet the War on Drugs has been 100X worse in that respect on every level. It seems the War On Drugs has existed so long it's just become background noise for some, especially those younger who don't remember any time before that. Via LE that was Red Pilled:

https://lawenforcementactionpartnership.org/our-issues/drug-policy/

AndyLate
01-03-23, 11:11
The absolute opposite is true. We are in this situation due to the legal status of MJ and other drugs. It's always hard for me to understand how otherwise intelligent people can't get that one, even when there's history and data so show it. The mob arose due to prohibition, and all the $ and the violence and the corruption, 100% due to prohibition. If you have not read up on the details to we made the mob rich, see:

https://prohibition.themobmuseum.org/the-history/the-rise-of-organized-crime/the-mob-during-prohibition/

Econ 101, where's there's demand there will be supply, full stop. We in the US drive and support all those cartels due to demand for their product.

War on drugs was lost a long time ago by ANY metric you wish to use and few deny that, and yet we just throw good $ after bad. No walls, no laws, no added funding to all those .gov agencies who use the laws to infringe on our Rights (capital R), will alter the demand, and thus the supply.

The war on drugs is scam to keep agencies that don't need to exist justify their existence, make various very wealthy, build private prisons, and trample year after year on our Const. Rights.

Most surprising to me is the people who can see that the "War on terror" has not made us safer yet has been used to infringe on our Rights, yet the War on Drugs has been 100X worse in that respect on every level. It seems the War On Drugs has existed so long it's just become background noise for some, especially those younger who don't remember any time before that. Via LE that was Red Pilled:

There is a significant amount of time between legalization of MJ and enough product being supplied by legal growers in the state to meet demand. As each state legalizes MJ, it creates a new opportunity for the cartels who are moving more, not less, MJ across the border than ever.

There are a LOT of people who use MJ where it is legal who would not have if it was banned, which creates a larger market. Just like a lot of people drank before and after prohibition, but not during.

Andy

WillBrink
01-03-23, 11:30
There is a significant amount of time between legalization of MJ and enough product being supplied by legal growers in the state to meet demand. As each state legalizes MJ, it creates a new opportunity for the cartels who are moving more, not less, MJ across the border than ever.

Andy

Simply due to what I discussed above. Net income for the cartels is way down due to legal MJ in the US. Fed designation needs to change, state by state approach has ranged from effective to complete FUBAR, and again, we know what we know about prohibition, supply/demand, and so forth. Due losing $ on legal weed in the US, they are shifting their biz model:

The Sinaloa Cartel is losing its marijuana business, and El Chapo's sons are going after the 'premium weed' market to make up for it

*Over the past decade, a growing number of US states have legalized marijuana.
*The domestic production and sales that enables has eroded Mexican cartels' share of the US market.
*Mexico is also headed toward legalizing marijuana, and the Sinaloa Cartel sees an opportunity in it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sinaloa-cartel-aiming-to-corner-marijuana-market-in-mexico-2022-12

Again, history, data, and facts show we cannot and will not win that war, and either wake up and change course, or keep throwing billions and trillions in the toilet, and allow our Const Rights to be ignored. That last part alone should have been enough to reject the war on drugs.

AndyLate
01-03-23, 11:44
~SNIP~
Fed designation needs to change, state by state approach has ranged from effective to complete FUBAR
~SNIP~

This is really the heart of the matter. Until MJ is legal in the US, it is going to be a mess when it is legal in some states and not others.

Andy

WillBrink
01-03-23, 12:01
This is really the heart of the matter. Until MJ is legal in the US, it is going to be a mess when it is legal in some states and not others.

Andy

For sure. It must be changed at the federal level.

WillBrink
01-03-23, 12:01

Andy

For sure. It must be changed at the federal level.

utahjeepr
01-03-23, 12:03

Andy

Yup. Patchwork quasi-legal grey areas don't make for good business models unless you are a criminal.

Cartels are definitely infiltrating the "legal weed" market.

LoboTBL
01-03-23, 12:12
There is really no legitimate reason for cannabis to still be classified as a Schedule 1 substance by the federal government and the data/research has been there for quite some time.

ETA: Aside from all the $$$ the .gov collects while keeping it illegal that is.

WillBrink
01-03-23, 12:14
Yup. Patchwork quasi-legal grey areas don't make for good business models unless you are a criminal.

Cartels are definitely infiltrating the "legal weed" market.

It was always about protecting profits of the elites, and a "for your own good" removal of Const Rights and far too many still accept it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83U0b6PqoI0

SteyrAUG
01-03-23, 15:13

Andy

smuggling weed...lol

Screw fent, let's bring in these giant hay bales of shit that grows wild on railroad tracks across the US.

gsd2053
01-03-23, 15:38
I'm sure this will change the Biden Administration's actions. They will now follow US Imagination Laws now.

AndyLate
01-03-23, 16:03
smuggling weed...lol

Screw fent, let's bring in these giant hay bales of shit that grows wild on railroad tracks across the US.

https://www.krgv.com/videos/sheriff-s-office-four-men-arrested-after-smuggling-large-bundles-of-marijuana-near-brownsville

SteyrAUG
01-03-23, 16:38
https://www.krgv.com/videos/sheriff-s-office-four-men-arrested-after-smuggling-large-bundles-of-marijuana-near-brownsville

I'm sure some lower level flunkes still do it. But flying or driving weed is a loser game. Easiest contraband for dogs to sniff out and the biggest bulk for the lowest return. You can make more money bringing fake Rolex watches across the border.

Any serious smoker has an Rx and gets high end shit for nickels locally.

AndyLate
01-03-23, 18:58
I'm sure some lower level flunkes still do it. But flying or driving weed is a loser game. Easiest contraband for dogs to sniff out and the biggest bulk for the lowest return. You can make more money bringing fake Rolex watches across the border.

Extremely low cost to produce, transport, and distribute through an existing network. ROI is high as long as volume stays up. It is a dying industry for sure, but its not a dead one.

Serious smokers have an Rx and get high end stuff cheap where its legal, plenty of potheads in ban states that still ban it.

My entire point was that our open border is enriching the cartel while simutaneously spreading their influence within the US.

Andy

LoboTBL
01-03-23, 19:10
It's extremely unlikely that the weed came across the border via motor vehicle. What is more likely is that it came in by ship to Port Isabel/Brownsville and was picked up by the idiots that got caught and they were likely a decoy. 137 lbs will fit in the back of a Tahoe or a minivan. There was likely a nondescript panel truck or three each carrying a minimum of 10x that amount that was missed thanks to the decoy. It cost the cartel around $10k in product to get easily over $3 mil worth of product through. Kudos to the sharp as marbles crew that made the bust. :rolleyes:

Screwball
01-03-23, 19:34
smuggling weed...lol

[emoji115][emoji1787]

My only large-ish drug seizure was 1.2 kilos of cocaine. There was also like 0.5 kilos of weed in another box next to it. Rare on my part of the northern border since drugs usually go north (I got the moron that followed his GPS into the US). Due to where he was coming from/heading, we think both the cocaine and weed were just the end of his supply… and he was taking both home. I had no issue seizing that.

I had another guy who moved up from another state… was selling weed. Told us he couldn’t sell any. We go, “bud, it’s legal… why would someone buy from you over a dispensary?” It was like a light switch was flipped in his head as we said that. [emoji1787] But we don’t usually catch the smart ones.

I do have a major issue having to seize personal use weed… then having to waste probably $1,400 to get $20 worth destroyed. I also have issue with officers who try to jam up people for a single joint, which is purchased inland without hassle and could easily be destroyed in testing. That is just a waste of tax payers’ money. I cannot wait for weed to be Federally legalized… just so I can laugh at those officers who only get those petty seizures under their belt.

When I accepted my position with CBP, Canada legalized weed like a day or two later. I was PISSED! ME had it legalized already, but it sucks to get people on both sides thinking it is nothing. If I see it, I unfortunately can’t just say… “yea, have a nice day.” I hate having to explain to people why their wrong turn into Canada is costing them their weed, and that their medicinal weed card doesn’t work here. It would be so much easier to just tax it like cigarettes/alcohol.

That being said, I also dread the day it is legalized. ME is disgusting on how many weed shops keep opening up. Bangor… it’s like every strip mall has one or two. It’s far from appealing. Then, the amount of people on more serious drugs… it’s mind blowing. Couldn’t really care what studies are quoted, there is nothing as blaring to the increased amount of meth/pill users in ME when compared to weed legalization in 2016. And with those increases… you get more thefts, assaults and other serious incidents (like an apartment building burning down, killing a 4 year old child).

For the southern border, two of my cousins were with BP. It’s kind of head scratching when you are patrolling the border, see blatant drug mules attempting to cross the river/border, and you scan over to see a Mexican military Humvee pointing an M2 machine gun at your truck. Unfortunately, that’s more norm than an outlier.

nick84
01-03-23, 21:54

100 percent. MJ is produced with efficiency on an industrial scale in the legal states, where it makes its way through the quasi-legal states, and then into the still-illegal states.

Hard drugs and human trafficking are cartel staples.

For my .02, a military intervention in Mexico seems more likely than one in Ukraine. On the upside...think about how easy it would be to build the wall if it were on the border with Guatemala instead. :-)

SteyrAUG
01-03-23, 22:34
Extremely low cost to produce, transport, and distribute through an existing network. ROI is high as long as volume stays up. It is a dying industry for sure, but its not a dead one.

Serious smokers have an Rx and get high end stuff cheap where its legal, plenty of potheads in ban states that still ban it.

My entire point was that our open border is enriching the cartel while simutaneously spreading their influence within the US.

Andy

Anyone who is still buying their weed from Hector in a dark parking lot at night is truly retarded. Weed is easier than abortions, if you live in a ban state you know somebody who will road drip high grade shit to you like it's a case of beer.

No argument that our open borders fund cartels directly, hell I even specifically posted that we created the Mexican drug cartels when we finally shut shit down through the Bahamas. But only complete idiots are running weed. The days of the square grouper are several decades ago.

SteyrAUG
01-03-23, 22:42
It's extremely unlikely that the weed came across the border via motor vehicle. What is more likely is that it came in by ship to Port Isabel/Brownsville and was picked up by the idiots that got caught and they were likely a decoy. 137 lbs will fit in the back of a Tahoe or a minivan. There was likely a nondescript panel truck or three each carrying a minimum of 10x that amount that was missed thanks to the decoy. It cost the cartel around $10k in product to get easily over $3 mil worth of product through. Kudos to the sharp as marbles crew that made the bust. :rolleyes:

99% chance. Almost posted that, near exactly word for word.

[emoji115][emoji1787]

My only large-ish drug seizure was 1.2 kilos of cocaine. There was also like 0.5 kilos of weed in another box next to it. Rare on my part of the northern border since drugs usually go north (I got the moron that followed his GPS into the US). Due to where he was coming from/heading, we think both the cocaine and weed were just the end of his supply… and he was taking both home. I had no issue seizing that.

I had another guy who moved up from another state… was selling weed. Told us he couldn’t sell any. We go, “bud, it’s legal… why would someone buy from you over a dispensary?” It was like a light switch was flipped in his head as we said that. [emoji1787] But we don’t usually catch the smart ones.

I do have a major issue having to seize personal use weed… then having to waste probably $1,400 to get $20 worth destroyed. I also have issue with officers who try to jam up people for a single joint, which is purchased inland without hassle and could easily be destroyed in testing. That is just a waste of tax payers’ money. I cannot wait for weed to be Federally legalized… just so I can laugh at those officers who only get those petty seizures under their belt.

When I accepted my position with CBP, Canada legalized weed like a day or two later. I was PISSED! ME had it legalized already, but it sucks to get people on both sides thinking it is nothing. If I see it, I unfortunately can’t just say… “yea, have a nice day.” I hate having to explain to people why their wrong turn into Canada is costing them their weed, and that their medicinal weed card doesn’t work here. It would be so much easier to just tax it like cigarettes/alcohol.

That being said, I also dread the day it is legalized. ME is disgusting on how many weed shops keep opening up. Bangor… it’s like every strip mall has one or two. It’s far from appealing. Then, the amount of people on more serious drugs… it’s mind blowing. Couldn’t really care what studies are quoted, there is nothing as blaring to the increased amount of meth/pill users in ME when compared to weed legalization in 2016. And with those increases… you get more thefts, assaults and other serious incidents (like an apartment building burning down, killing a 4 year old child).

For the southern border, two of my cousins were with BP. It’s kind of head scratching when you are patrolling the border, see blatant drug mules attempting to cross the river/border, and you scan over to see a Mexican military Humvee pointing an M2 machine gun at your truck. Unfortunately, that’s more norm than an outlier.

You and nearly every other cop I've ever known. The only objection I have to "legal weed" is choking on some jackasses skunk smoke when I'm out in public. If people could actually stay home and smoke that shit in their living room, I'd almost be willing to buy it for them.

If ever they made me president, I'd make it 100% legal to smoke weed 500 yards offshore on a boat and the boat would only cost you $10 an hour.

RioGrandeGreen
01-04-23, 01:48
The cartels now run the border, and now attacking with armored vehicles:

14 dead and dozens of inmates escape after gunmen in armored vehicles attack state prison in Mexico just across the border from El Paso

The armored attack resulted in 14 deaths and 24 inmates escaping the prison
It is not known how many gunmen were involved in the Ciudad Juarez attack
The dead included 10 prison guards and security agents, a statement said
Violence at the prison, including objects being set alight, also left 13 injured

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11591597/14-dead-dozens-inmates-escape-gunmen-armored-vehicles-attack-state-prison-Mexico.html

There are no Border Patrol agents on the actual border from Big Bend to El Paso. They are all babysitting/processing. There used to be agents every half mile in the El Paso area of responsibility on the border, now there are none. The old Obama fence(18ft) has been breached everywhere. The Trump wall (28ft) can be climbed by ladders. If those Cartel prison escapees wanted to come into El Paso, there is no one to stop them. We do not know who is coming in. BP used to stop most of them, but now it really is open borders.
May God help us for what is about to come to the US.

chuckman
01-04-23, 12:04
I did a ride-along with Methodist Life Flight in San Antonio, we went to Corpus Christi to pick up 4 GSWs who were transported to that hospital from the Reynosa/McAllen area from a cartel shootout. I have been around a couple of those border towns, as well as Tijuana and Ticate. I have zero desire to spend any time in any of those areas.

01-04-23, 13:11
[emoji115][emoji1787]

It would be so much easier to just tax it like cigarettes/alcohol.

I would ask lawmakers to show some restraint as they gaze at that golden goose. Excess taxation creates a black/grey market, as exists with cannabis in “legal” states, and alcohol and tobacco in some places. Re-directing funds normally used for enforcement, combined with regular sales tax, should be all the economic incentive States need. Of course, we all know that they are too greedy for that.

I don’t remember who, but there is one country that took a novel approach to choking out the black market by enforcing maximum retail price rates. Seemed to be working, last I heard. I don’t think they apply an exceptional tax.

There is really no legitimate reason for cannabis to still be classified as a Schedule 1 substance by the federal government and the data/research has been there for quite some time.

ETA: Aside from all the $$$ the .gov collects while keeping it illegal that is.

Yeah, its a mockery of the Scheduling system. Schedule I, by definition, is NO legitimate medical use, and maximum potential for harm and addiction. Cannabis and its isolates do not match this definition, nor do some of the other substances and organisms in that list, such as Psilocybin, Psylocin, psychedelic mushrooms, and LSD.

Cocaine and Fentanyl are Schedule II (legal), and alcohol and tobacco are willfully ignored in the Schedule lists. How does someone look me in the face and say that cannabis is more dangerous, more addictive, and less useful than those? Or the other opioids, benzos, barbs, dissociatives, and amphetamines in Schedules II, III, and IV? Or the also-unscheduled etomidate and propofol?

Of course there is the problem of international law, which we sponsored and are signatory to, keeping cannabis illegal. This is why in some places (Amsterdam) where people think drug cannabis is legal, its actually just decriminalized and unenforced.

We actually passed a cannabis decriminalization and expungement bill in Congress last year (or ‘21?), but it died in the Senate.

WillBrink
01-04-23, 13:43
I would ask lawmakers to show some restraint as they gaze at that golden goose. Excess taxation creates a black/grey market, as exists with cannabis in “legal” states, and alcohol and tobacco in some places. Re-directing funds normally used for enforcement, combined with regular sales tax, should be all the economic incentive States need. Of course, we all know that they are too greedy for that.

I don’t remember who, but there is one country that took a novel approach to choking out the black market by enforcing maximum retail price rates. Seemed to be working, last I heard. I don’t think they apply an exceptional tax.

Point 1; The importance of the topic is what literally makes or breaks the legal aspect. That's where government so stupid they can even find a way to F up legal weed. If the fees, taxes, etc end up making legal weed more expensive than illegal weed, again, they're ignoring basic econ 101/free marker realities. In that case, there's still profits to be had selling illegal, and it remains. CA, being run by morons, is the poster child for that outcome. Besides generating tax $, the entire idea of legalizing it is the legal route should also be able to out compete the illegal production, and drive people to get higher quality for less $. Leave it to the gubment to find a way to fail at that. It's as if none of them ever picked up a history text to see how all that played out with prohibition, and or, never read basic supply/demand econ. If the legal stuff can't competed on $, illegal will continue on.

Point 2: I don't think states should go from 0-100 illegal/legal as they did in some states, but going the medical route first, and other routes to ramp up, is the way to go. Now we have edibles with unregulated and unknown THC levels that are FAR stronger than people realize and expect, and end up in the ER. Again, gubment apply no common sense or pre thought there. Legal weed should be sold like booze, 21 and over, show ID, regulate and list THC levels as booze has proof ratings, etc. It's not rocket science.

Yeah, its a mockery of the Scheduling system. Schedule I, by definition, is NO legitimate medical use, and maximum potential for harm and addiction. Cannabis and its isolates do not match this definition, nor do some of the other substances and organisms in that list, such as Psilocybin, Psylocin, psychedelic mushrooms, and LSD.

Cocaine and Fentanyl are Schedule II (legal), and alcohol and tobacco are willfully ignored in the Schedule lists. How does someone look me in the face and say that cannabis is more dangerous, more addictive, and less useful than those? Or the other opioids, benzos, barbs, dissociatives, and amphetamines in Schedules II, III, and IV? Or the also-unscheduled etomidate and propofol?

Of course there is the problem of international law, which we sponsored and are signatory to, keeping cannabis illegal. This is why in some places (Amsterdam) where people think drug cannabis is legal, its actually just decriminalized and unenforced.

We actually passed a cannabis decriminalization and expungement bill in Congress last year (or ‘21?), but it died in the Senate.

You can never have any moral authority or credibility to anyone with any brains allowing cigs and booz as legal, and far less toxic choices, some of which have legit medical uses, being illegal. Basic human cognitive/behavioral pysch 101.

To reschedule weed on the fed level would at least be a beginning to gaining some credibility with the population. Currently, as is, everyone knows the fed scheduling has nadda to to with medical science, but politics and preserving the $ interests of pharma and chem companies.

01-04-23, 13:59
Point 1; The importance of the topic is what literally makes or breaks the legal aspect. That's where government so stupid they can even find a way to F up legal weed. If the fees, taxes, etc end up making legal weed more expensive than illegal weed, again, they're ignoring basic econ 101/free marker realities. In that case, there's still profits to be had selling illegal, and it remains. CA, being run by morons, is the poster child for that outcome. Besides generating tax $, the entire idea of legalizing it is the legal route should also be able to out compete the illegal production, and drive people to get higher quality for less $. Leave it to the gubment to find a way to fail at that. It's as if none of them ever picked up a history text to see how all that played out with prohibition, and or, never read basic supply/demand econ. If the legal stuff can't competed on $, illegal will continue on.

Point 2: I don't think states should go from 0-100 illegal/legal as they did in some states, but going the medical route first, and other routes to ramp up, is the way to go. Now we have edibles with unregulated and unknown THC levels that are FAR stronger than people realize and expect, and end up in the ER. Again, gubment apply no common sense or pre thought there. Legal weed should be sold like booze, 21 and over, show ID, regulate and list THC levels as booze has proof ratings, etc. It's not rocket science.

You can never have any moral authority or credibility to anyone with any brains allowing cigs and booz as legal, and far less toxic choices, some of which have legit medical uses, being illegal. Basic human cognitive/behavioral pysch 101.

To reschedule weed on the fed level would at least be a beginning to gaining some credibility with the population. Currently, as is, everyone knows the fed scheduling has nadda to to with medical science, but politics and preserving the $ interests of pharma and chem companies.

To be clear, they end up in the ER because they are freaking out, not usually because the gummies are going to kill them. And yeah, its somewhat common, due to a lack of user education, and the relative newness of those products.

For age, I’d go so far as to say 25, and for alcohol and tobacco, as well. The part of the brain used to process long-term consequences
and weigh risk vs reward isn’t fully physically developed until then, and habit training works differently in the young brain, also. If we’re being scientific, rather than arbitrary.

Yeah, rescheduling would be a good first step, and should have happened before states went “medically legal”, because it isn’t. The lack of credibility results in a huge segment, including state lawmakers, casually disregarding the law altogether, and sometimes results in people thinking information about all drugs are false.

WillBrink
01-04-23, 14:27
To be clear, they end up in the ER because they are freaking out, not usually because the gummies are going to kill them. And yeah, its somewhat common, due to a lack of user education, and the relative newness of those products.

The LD50 for THC is very high and it takes a lot to kill you. Be that as it may, ER visits have gone way up. There's no standardization on THC levels and hence, one edible may be ok, the next one way too much, etc. Of course they may have also mixed the edible with other compounds.

For age, I’d go so far as to say 25, and for alcohol and tobacco, as well. The part of the brain used to process long-term consequences
and weigh risk vs reward isn’t fully physically developed until then, and habit training works differently in the young brain, also. If we’re being scientific, rather than arbitrary.

It's only fairly recently we know the human brain is not fully formed until mod 20s, and there's no realistic route to move it from 21 to 25, so that ship has sailed. 21 is close enough for gubment work as they say, best we will do.

Yeah, rescheduling would be a good first step, and should have happened before states went “medically legal”, because it isn’t. The lack of credibility results in a huge segment, including state lawmakers, casually disregarding the law altogether, and sometimes results in people thinking information about all drugs are false.

Disregarding facts and reality in favor of votes, power, $, etc is what politicians tend to do best. Until we have a legit fed schedule change and approach to the (failed) "War On Drugs" it will continue to be a mess.

Screwball
01-07-23, 20:20
You and nearly every other cop I've ever known. The only objection I have to "legal weed" is choking on some jackasses skunk smoke when I'm out in public. If people could actually stay home and smoke that shit in their living room, I'd almost be willing to buy it for them.

If ever they made me president, I'd make it 100% legal to smoke weed 500 yards offshore on a boat and the boat would only cost you $10 an hour.

Unfortunately, ME is a failed experiment with that. Add in the increase of the amount of meth labs since 2016… I can’t say there is nothing related. At work, weed isn’t something I search out. Like if I don’t ask the question and some goes down the road… I’m not broken up over it (if I have the idea that there is more than just that… we look into it).

But we also know in the country to the north… it’s legal. And once you get off property… it is legal in the state of ME. At a Port of Entry, it’s a Schedule I narcotic. That upsets a lot of stoners.

I hated Vegas because of the smoke. Me and a few coworkers were there for a conference, and we were concerned that we would pee hot because of the secondhand weed smoke. Never thought I’d prefer Atlantic City.

Pappabear
01-07-23, 23:06
Have a friend getting married in Mexico, I said good luck brother. He sent me a video of trucks full of some type Police/Military with 50's on the hood of a truck etc just outside the city. Another day at the office, it was crazy to see.

PB

Sidneyious
01-07-23, 23:13
The LD50 for THC is very high and it takes a lot to kill you. Be that as it may, ER visits have gone way up. There's no standardization on THC levels and hence, one edible may be ok, the next one way too much, etc. Of course they may have also mixed the edible with other compounds.

It's only fairly recently we know the human brain is not fully formed until mod 20s, and there's no realistic route to move it from 21 to 25, so that ship has sailed. 21 is close enough for gubment work as they say, best we will do.

Disregarding facts and reality in favor of votes, power, $, etc is what politicians tend to do best. Until we have a legit fed schedule change and approach to the (failed) "War On Drugs" it will continue to be a mess.

Recently I tried a gummie, instead of the cbd I got k2, shit isnt legal but all they do is change the name and keep selling the shit.

The ambulance doc said I had anxiety but I had the energy to go build a house.
Its literally meth by another name

The_War_Wagon
01-07-23, 23:16
Biteme won't go THERE. Neither will Kamalalalala ding-dong!

Buncheong
01-08-23, 02:57
There are no Border Patrol agents on the actual border from Big Bend to El Paso. They are all babysitting/processing. There used to be agents every half mile in the El Paso area of responsibility on the border, now there are none. The old Obama fence(18ft) has been breached everywhere. The Trump wall (28ft) can be climbed by ladders. If those Cartel prison escapees wanted to come into El Paso, there is no one to stop them. We do not know who is coming in. BP used to stop most of them, but now it really is open borders.
May God help us for what is about to come to the US.

Post of the month ^

Astute observations, all.

ubet
01-10-23, 23:55

^^^^^ say it louder for everyone in the back ^^^^^ it’s just about the money and power, nothing to do with actually stopping drugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01-11-23, 07:18
Recently I tried a gummie, instead of the cbd I got k2, shit isnt legal but all they do is change the name and keep selling the shit.

The ambulance doc said I had anxiety but I had the energy to go build a house.
Its literally meth by another name

Friends don’t let friends take fake cannabis.

WillBrink
01-11-23, 07:44
^^^^^ say it louder for everyone in the back ^^^^^ it’s just about the money and power, nothing to do with actually stopping drugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been around so long many have grown up with it, don't know anything different, it's the normal background noise, perhaps even drank some of the war on drugs Kool-aid.

WillBrink
01-12-23, 10:15
Maybe should be it's own thread now, but tangential, two gents I have much respect for, Thomas Sowell & Milton Friedman, positions on the war on drugs/drug laws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i67spR3FREA