PDA

View Full Version : How do you store loaded mags? I need a solution.

Sidneyious
01-05-23, 16:25
I need ideas for storing mags and the range bag is at capacity.

(Might actually belong in the disaster and prep forum, just noticed that sub)

Pappabear
01-05-23, 16:46
For my handguns , I just store racks of Glock sleeves for each gun. AR 10/15 mags, get a 55 gallon drum. I have smaller plastic bins for PCC, MP5, APC and an AK bin as well. Just got figure what works for you.

PB

Sidneyious
01-05-23, 16:52
For my handguns , I just store racks of Glock sleeves for each gun. AR 10/15 mags, get a 55 gallon drum. I have smaller plastic bins for PCC, MP5, APC and an AK bin as well. Just got figure what works for you.

PB

Man the bottom of that drum has to look funky.

Pappabear
01-05-23, 17:26
Man the bottom of that drum has to look funky.

I say in jist but I do have large storage bins for AR mags. Same goes with holsters.

PB

mack7.62
01-05-23, 18:23
I'm old fashioned ammo cans for loaded mags, 30's or 50's for handgun, 50's work well with 20 round 308, SAW cans for 30 rd AR's.

kirkland
01-05-23, 19:35
mack7.62 already hit the nail on the head. I had remembered seeing a video years ago about "tall" 50 cans or SAW cans to store 30 rd mags vertical, and bought a couple of those cans myself. Just did a quick search and found the video.

https://youtu.be/MCX1FeoNXYE

markm
01-05-23, 20:43
I have these surplus NOD cans with padded walls/lid. With the weight of loaded mags, some padding is good. Especially if the container might get transported and not just stored.

OutofBatt3ry
01-05-23, 20:46
I have nothing to offer as I just stack them in a locking cabinet, nothing special. I'm just here for some ideas incase I get bored.

HKGuns
01-05-23, 22:37
I had the same issue for both pistols and rifles around two years ago.

Rifle solution:

1 large tote or bin for spare rifle mags regardless of model
Loaded AR15 magazines go into 3 of the MTM Case Guard AR15 "Tactical" magazine cans.
https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/ammunition-storage/ammo-cans/ar-15-tactical-magazine-can-prod87682.aspx
I also have two Mortar ammo cans full of storage magazines I bought when they were inexpensive, mostly AR15 and HK91 (AL and steel) mags reside in them.

Pistol solution:

Each pistol has its own one of these ziplock large sealable bins labeled with the pistol model
Each ziplock bin is housed in one of the platic totes I use for rilfe mags, it will hold many stacks
Organized by pistol model....I have a lot of HK pistols, so I have an HK tote, full of different model HK ziplock bins with magazines for each different pistol model.

https://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p1377755464-5.jpg

hotbiggun42
01-05-23, 22:44
In bandoleers. They use to be cheap and pleantyful.try Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/MOLLE-6-Magazine-Bandoleer-Pouch-MultiCam/dp/B07563HGC5

Sidneyious
01-06-23, 09:12
Lots of good info folks.
I'm sure what I have is paltry (41ar) and 16 Glock mags(I need more).

I was looking at transportation methods and I think I got a few ideas I can work with.

First one I already have an idea about just need to make sure it's cool.

DG23
01-08-23, 09:50
Lots of good I go folks.
I'm sure what I have is paltry (41ar) and 16 Glock mags(I need more).

I was looking at transportation methods and I think I got a few ideas I can work with.

First one I already have an idea about just need to make sure it's cool.

Stripper clips and spoons are where its at. (and inexpensive as heck)

No way I am trying to keep every mag I have loaded when things like stripper clips are readily available to load the ones I am using or want to use quickly. Aside of the fact that you can get a lot more ammo in the same size can when that ammo is on strippers vs it being in magazines...

Sidneyious
01-08-23, 12:34
Stripper clips and spoons are where its at. (and inexpensive as heck)

No way I am trying to keep every mag I have loaded when things like stripper clips are readily available to load the ones I am using or want to use quickly. Aside of the fact that you can get a lot more ammo in the same size can when that ammo is on strippers vs it being in magazines...

IMO an unloaded mag is useless just like ammo not in a mag, what good is it going to do for me? single handload a round in the gun?

DG23
01-08-23, 13:26
IMO an unloaded mag is useless just like ammo not in a mag, what good is it going to do for me? single handload a round in the gun?

How long does it take YOU to load a magazine to capacity?

(does not take me long using strippers)

Not discounting 'used' strippers as they do last a lot longer than many seem to consider and they are useful to have around - but when even virgin strippers are soooo cheap and easy to find why not???

https://i.imgur.com/4riCMSQ.jpg

grizzman
01-08-23, 16:32
Bulk 5.56 is loaded into strippers, and stored in ammo cans, with a couple spoons sitting on top. My guess is that Sidneyious doesn't know how to use them.

I keep most of my M14 mags loaded, and they're sitting on a gun rack shelf.

ndmiller
01-08-23, 16:34
Pistol solution:

Each pistol has its own one of these ziplock large sealable bins labeled with the pistol model
Each ziplock bin is housed in one of the platic totes I use for rilfe mags, it will hold many stacks
Organized by pistol model....I have a lot of HK pistols, so I have an HK tote, full of different model HK ziplock bins with magazines for each different pistol model.

https://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p1377755464-5.jpg

Just grabbed 4 to try out, thank you for this post. I have too many to count Glock (26, 19, 17, 17L, 45, 44, 42, 43) mags from Glock and Magpul where available in addition to CZ, HK, Beretta, Kahr etc. BOATLOAD of pistol mags all over the place completely unorganized and a total mess I need to hit the range. Hoping this economical, stackable, markable solution is what I've been looking for.

HKGuns
01-08-23, 23:39
Just grabbed 4 to try out, thank you for this post. I have too many to count Glock (26, 19, 17, 17L, 45, 44, 42, 43) mags from Glock and Magpul where available in addition to CZ, HK, Beretta, Kahr etc. BOATLOAD of pistol mags all over the place completely unorganized and a total mess I need to hit the range. Hoping this economical, stackable, markable solution is what I've been looking for.

Dude, I own nearly 50 pistols. You wouldn’t believe the mess I had going on.

It took me 3 hours to find mags to go to the range and put me in a sour mood after searching. (Except for the one in the pistol of course.)

I got to shooting revolvers a lot because NO MAG search, complicated by the fact most look very similar without close inspection.

Glad it helped someone.

markm
01-09-23, 08:14

Then those plastic totes are shit. They're for storage/organizing. Not transportation. Drop one and watch your load spill everywhere. Big Mil cans with padding or a Homey Depot Tuff box would be good.

HKGuns
01-09-23, 09:53
Then those plastic totes are shit. They're for storage/organizing. Not transportation. Drop one and watch your load spill everywhere. Big Mil cans with padding or a Homey Depot Tuff box would be good.

Agreed.

markm
01-09-23, 10:23
Pappabear uses that Homey Depot tuff box thingy for ammo boxes. It's tough as hell.. stackable and all that.

kerplode
01-09-23, 10:56
I keep a few loaded mags, but I don't store them all loaded. Personally, I just don't see the need. I don't plan for TEOTWAWKI fantasies, so a half dozen or so AR mags and a couple pistol mags should be enough to solve any immediate real-world problem I could possibly encounter...Either that or be enough to get me killed. If by some Christmas miracle society does come unwound for a prolonged period, I figure I'll have time to load a few more as needed. But you do you...

So, mags in storage get organized by type and stored in plastic tubs
Loaded "go" mags are in GI ammo cans
Loaded carry/HD mags are in the gun

I have some 556 and 762 stored on strippers, but most of it is just in cans in its original boxes. You can fit a bunch of 556 on strippers in a 50 cal can, though, and it takes like 3 seconds to load a mag with them.

For what it's worth, you can fit something like 30 loaded GI mags in a SAW Box...2 dozen if you use PMAGs.
If you're really bougie, 10 GI mags fit perfectly in a Pelican 1200.

GTF425
01-09-23, 11:04
I'm in the same boat as kerplode.

My loaded mags are in pouches on kit or currently in their respective firearms.

markm
01-09-23, 14:08
I'm in the same boat as kerplode.

My loaded mags are in pouches on kit or currently in their respective firearms.

Same. I have a few extra loaded mags here and there. But most extra mags are not stored loaded.

m1a_scoutguy
01-09-23, 16:20
I don't keep that many mags full all the time but I have a few dedicated GI cans and some bandoliers ready whenever needed. I keep my (pistol) range bag mags loaded 99% of the time. That's 8 Staccato mags and 8 PO-7 mags loaded. I have a GI can with 6 AR mags and 3 or 4 bandoliers with stripper clips and such on the ready. Most of my ammo is in GI cans either loose or in bandos. As stated, if anything really happens, I'll have time to load up some extra mags or maybe I won't & then it won't matter anyways.

titsonritz
01-09-23, 18:24
They're all over the place. I've got loaded mags on my belt setup, few different chest rigs, about a dozen in my training bag, some strategically laying around on shelves/dresser/counter tops and a few right next to my rifles. I've got a couple boxes and a laundry basket full of spares/replacements.

Pappabear
01-09-23, 22:08
I guess there is loaded mags and ammo and just mags. Two discussions here. I’m kinda like Titsonritz too. Have them in go bags, 2 chest rigs etc for immediate response. Then storage for go and just overflow storage. Plenty of gear.

PB

hotbiggun42
01-10-23, 21:46
Same. I have a few extra loaded mags here and there. But most extra mags are not stored loaded.

Mags are a excellent way to store ammo. Try it!

markm
01-11-23, 08:13
Mags are a excellent way to store ammo. Try it!

After that study was posted here on the spring tension diminishment, I tend to store only a portion of my mags loaded. And then I rotated them out every year or so.

Not that long term loaded mags won't work fine, but why not keep new mag springs fresh and strong?

Sidneyious
01-11-23, 11:36
After that study was posted here on the spring tension diminishment, I tend to store only a portion of my mags loaded. And then I rotated them out every year or so.

Not that long term loaded mags won't work fine, but why not keep new mag springs fresh and strong?

Generally it doesnt really matter if its loaded or not, Fresh springs will stay fresh for a while till the metal does work in then its going to stay that strength for a long time.
Springs go out from constant use like bending a paper clip back and forth till it snaps.
Thats why Im a fan of springco action springs, they stay stronger for longer.

I dont have it anymore but it was a picture of a brand new carbine spring, one thats been installed and one thats been used and there was an inch difference between the 3 and the one thats been used was causing many malfunctions.

Sure all different kind of springs but a spring is a spring in grand spring of things.

Forget where I read that, it was like 10 years ago at this point.

BobinNC
01-11-23, 11:47
I keep only 6 mags fully loaded. Four ready mounted on my Spiritus Systems Micro Chest Rig and two ready stored with the rifle.

The rest sit and wait patiently empty in their AC50C Ammo Cans for their turn in the loaded rotation......

markm
01-11-23, 11:51
Generally it doesnt really matter if its loaded or not, Fresh springs will stay fresh for a while till the metal does work in then its going to stay that strength for a long time.
Springs go out from constant use like bending a paper clip back and forth till it snaps.

No. Some dude here posted (what appeared to be) a legit study of spring tension degradation under load. If I remember right, it was one of those military tests. If it was fake, someone really needs to get a life.

Effectively... keeping a USGI mag loaded does reduce the springs "ass". And the springs tension did recover after removing the compression, but it was like many months or a year.

switchback7
01-11-23, 12:22
Do you have a link?

Every thing I have read says different, and that continuous use of the spring is what causes degradation, not a spring being kept "loaded".

markm
01-11-23, 12:45
Do you have a link?

Every thing I have read says different, and that continuous use of the spring is what causes degradation, not a spring being kept "loaded".

I don't. I should have downloaded it. It did contradict common "knowledge" for sure. Maybe a year back because I rotated all my mags in my ARs that have just been loaded for many years. I think it was about the time I had a thread on those dead primers because I was rotating through mags and shot some old safe ammo out of one of the mags.

switchback7
01-11-23, 12:47
I don't. I should have downloaded it. It did contradict common "knowledge" for sure. Maybe a year back because I rotated all my mags in my ARs that have just been loaded for many years. I think it was about the time I had a thread on those dead primers because I was rotating through mags and shot some old safe ammo out of one of the mags.

hmm okay, i have about 15 loaded PMAGS and Okay mags loaded as i didnt think it would harm the springs and really dont feel like unloading them all lol.

markm
01-11-23, 13:10
hmm okay, i have about 15 loaded PMAGS and Okay mags loaded as i didnt think it would harm the springs and really dont feel like unloading them all lol.

For sure. Mine had sat for like 5 years. I have them filled with Defensive ammo that rarely gets shot, so they just sit year after year.

HKGuns
01-11-23, 14:07
Y’all either don’t have enough ammo or Mags if you think all your mags should be loaded.

Sidneyious
01-11-23, 14:13
Y’all either don’t have enough ammo or Mags if you think all your mags should be loaded.

Thank you for your vast knowledge.

HKGuns
01-11-23, 14:28
Thank you for your vast knowledge.

Deleted.

markm
01-11-23, 14:31
Easy, Tiger. It's tongue & cheek, but a valid point. For example, I have a S&W Sheild with both mags stored loaded. I neither have enough sheild mags or 9mm ammo.

Sidneyious
01-11-23, 14:34
Easy, Tiger. It's tongue & cheek, but a valid point. For example, I have a S&W Sheild with both mags stored loaded. I neither have enough sheild mags or 9mm ammo.

Im just trying to find a better way than storing them in a range bag that isnt a safe because I cant put a safe in a friends house to not keep everything I own in 1 place.
Ive seen many good ideas and got a few I can also work with in my head, saying you dont have enough isnt fn helping.

markm
01-11-23, 14:39
I'll have to get a pic of the cans I use. The mags aren't loaded, but the idea is the same. I always say that I could drop the can from my roof and the mags would be fine.

markm
01-11-23, 20:50
Here's one of the cans I use. 16 30 rounders in here, but 20 could fit.

https://i.imgur.com/U1pnkUX.jpg

The_War_Wagon
01-11-23, 22:21
20mm ammo cans (plural)

DG23
01-11-23, 23:56
Here's one of the cans I use. 16 30 rounders in here, but 20 could fit.

https://i.imgur.com/U1pnkUX.jpg

No freakin way that is one of your cans.

Guys like you (that actually shoot their stuff REGULARLY) don't need / stick desiccant in the cans.

markm
01-12-23, 08:13
No freakin way that is one of your cans.

Guys like you (that actually shoot their stuff REGULARLY) don't need / stick desiccant in the cans.

Yeah. That's my can. I had to vaccuum the dust off the top for this pic. I don't open this can ever. Desicant is probably overkill, but I had the packets, so I tossed one in there.

switchback7
01-12-23, 10:30

oh, okay John Wick.

Wake27
01-12-23, 15:06

Yeah I agree with that. Niche guns being an obvious exception. But I’m out of ammo when all my mags are loaded but I don’t have a sealed case remaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

titsonritz
01-12-23, 15:25
I have over 200 30rd AR mags, that would be over 6000 rounds if the they were all loaded and that is not counting the 20 and 40 rounders, so yeah not all my mags are loaded with ammo. If I NEEDED that many rounds loaded I would assume I'd be long dead before I got there.

Wake27
01-12-23, 15:59
I have over 200 30rd AR mags, that would be over 6000 rounds if the they were all loaded and that is not counting the 20 and 40 rounders, so yeah not all my mags are loaded with ammo. If I NEEDED that many rounds loaded I would assume I'd be long dead before I got there.

Well that is a lot of mags.

markm
01-12-23, 16:01
If I NEEDED that many rounds loaded I would assume I'd be long dead before I got there.

You're probably one of those guys who doesn't even carry 5 spare mags, a back up ankle holster gun, a fixed blade, a folder, a tourniquite, and a folding stock AR in a briefcase to go buy milk. :rolleyes:

titsonritz
01-12-23, 16:25
Well that is a lot of mags.

You're probably one of those guys who doesn't even carry 5 spare mags, a back up ankle holster gun, a fixed blade, a folder, a tourniquite, and a folding stock AR in a briefcase to go buy milk. :rolleyes:

Just a guy who has lived in CA and OR long enough to know to buy cheap and stack deep.

markm
01-12-23, 18:34
Just a guy who has lived in CA and OR long enough to know to buy cheap and stack deep.

The buy cheap hasn't been an option for too long. But agreed!

hotbiggun42
01-12-23, 19:53

I dont know about him but im one of those guys that own guns, mags, ammo and dont carry. Well i carry a 22lr when i walk to the pond.

markm
01-12-23, 20:55
I dont know about him but im one of those guys that own guns, mags, ammo and dont carry. Well i carry a 22lr when i walk to the pond.

I'm lazy about carrying too. I take a shield on the dog walk, and that's it.

The_War_Wagon
01-12-23, 22:55

I have over 500 30 rounders - all loaded, and a couple more 20mm cans of just ammo on top of it. What is the point of an unloaded mag? Are you going to throw them @ opponents when the time comes?

nick84
01-13-23, 01:38
If I need more than a chest rig of loaded mags, I'm just gonna have to run away. If you all have reasoned out that all your mags should be loaded all the time, that's your business, but it's easier to store empty mags and bulk ammo than it is loading every mag I own. For me anyway.

As far as OP's question goes, maybe some more specific context could have gotten a more helpful answer. E.g., I have a roommate in a house with no basement, what are some recommendations for low profile storage solutions that aren't too heavy? Or some such. Solutions that work for different people can depend on how far they have to carry them to a vehicle, the environmental conditions they're in, etc.

My empty mags are in a cheap craftsman rolling toolbox. The drawers let me separate by type and caliber. Loaded mags are in the safe, or in carry holsters, or in my kit. Pretty simple.

Wake27
01-13-23, 06:18
I throw mine into MTM ammo cans.

mark5pt56
01-13-23, 06:44
If it goes down the way you think, you will grab more mags. If it goes down, 90% will be dead within the first mag, 5% more before the load out is gone, the other 5% will drive on. Of course nobody here is in the first 90%. Crack is bad for you kids, be careful.

markm
01-13-23, 08:50
If it goes down, 90% will be dead within the first mag, 5% more before the load out is gone, the other 5% will drive on.

This! I always crack up when people hoard for "the end". Where exactly are they going to put all the bodies they slay??? Do they also have a huge front loader to remove their thousands of kills from their front yard??

kirkland
01-13-23, 08:53
This! I always crack up when people hoard for "the end". Where exactly are they going to put all the bodies they slay??? Do they also have a huge front loader to remove their thousands of kills from their front yard??

You build a wall with them like in the movie 300

markm
01-13-23, 09:10

Probably gets a little stinky though. :confused:

ST911
01-13-23, 09:10

Spot on. We recently went without trash service for a couple of weeks because of overlapping storms. People have no clue. Imagine what absence of services in managing community dead would look like.

Tip: If you've pre-trenched, every couple of years remember to clean up the edges as erosion occurs and turn the fill pile as it compacts.

DG23
01-13-23, 20:10
This! I always crack up when people hoard for "the end".

Call it hoarding all you like.

I still plan to call it 'buying when cheap and stacking it deep'.

Seems like every time I look up I read guys crying about the cost (or lack of availability) of this or that here and complaining about it has caused a major or minor disruption in their ability to go shooting as they please.

I am NOT in that boat and don't plan to be any time soon. :)

DG23
01-13-23, 20:53
I have over 500 30 rounders - all loaded, and a couple more 20mm cans of just ammo on top of it.

At first glance that sounded like a bunch but then I did the math...

That is what - 150lbs or so of lead you would be able to send downrange?

150lbs is not a lot when you really think about it (and do the math). :p

The_War_Wagon
01-13-23, 22:59

You toss them in that bottomless pit in Sparta!

Rmorris
01-14-23, 12:26
3 mags in each mil surp bandolier.
Buy from Amazon. Makes a handy grab and go. They hold 6, but only fold with 3.
Z-fold. And bring straps to top.
6 bandoliers in a Saw/ fat50 can.

hoopharted
01-15-23, 10:27
my gunroom i use lockable file cabinets , you can section the drawers off for not only different calibers , but AK , AR15 ,AR10 , pistols , assorted obscure rifles , ive custom built the file cabinets and safes surrounded with cabinetry so only safe doors are showing and fronts of the file cabinets , a 3x12 bench with cabinets above and cabinets and smaller lockable file cabinets below the bench , the file cabinets are great for organization for parts as well , tv set wall mounted for YouTube and/or Amazon music , but file cabinets are awsome , they do not provide the level of security o a safe but not everything needs it but at least you can lock it

ubet
01-15-23, 17:56
They’re absolutely everywhere, I have them stacked up on shelves, under beds, in nooks and crannies, vehicles, chest rigs, body armor, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HKGuns
01-15-23, 18:58

Not necessary. You nail their @sses to trees so as to send a real clear message.

I do the same with the Fing red squirrel’s.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230116/b1fe943e16baf2f81eb33e077e1afb8d.jpg

CatBacker88
01-16-23, 11:07

And you would be correct. These I'm ready for anything scenarios are a bit unrealistic.

markm
01-16-23, 11:32
Call it hoarding all you like.

I still plan to call it 'buying when cheap and stacking it deep'.

I agree. Just not under the romantic idea that I'll be racking up thousands of kills and living wonderfully while the world crumbles.

26 Inf
01-16-23, 23:41
Not necessary. You nail their @sses to trees so as to send a real clear message.

I do the same with the Fing red squirrel’s.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230116/b1fe943e16baf2f81eb33e077e1afb8d.jpg

So that's where Bob and Ray went, I hadn't seen them at the feeder lately.

davidjinks
01-21-23, 11:55
The only mags I store are for 5.56. I can fit 12 loaded mags inside a .50 cal can and then I pack a full reload of ammunition for all 12 mags on stripper clips with spoons and desiccant.

I need ideas for storing mags and the range bag is at capacity.

(Might actually belong in the disaster and prep forum, just noticed that sub)

SMTA
01-22-23, 09:36
I use colored duffel bags, usually 14”
My bright yellow AR15 mag bag currently has 25 30 round mags.
I use different colors to designate empty vs loaded.
I also use luggage tags to show caliber / platform / loaded or unloaded.
It’s an inexpensive option for me.
They’re also easy to haul around.

settingsuns
01-25-23, 08:52
I keep a few loaded on the shelf for easy access. If I need to load the rest I can but feel better with the ammo in boxes or bags in cans.

markm
01-25-23, 08:55
I keep a few loaded on the shelf for easy access. If I need to load the rest I can but feel better with the ammo in boxes or bags in cans.

Agreed. I have a shooter's pack and a leg drop carrier with some loaded mags, but the bulk is stored separately.

BuzzinSATX
01-25-23, 21:05
My bag for carrying ammo and mags to the range is a cloth tool bag. I have a Kobalt bag for pistol ammo/mags and a DeWalt bag for rifle mags and ammo. Ain’t fancy and they came with the tools so no cost really but very stout.

If I was buying a bag to tote ammo, I’d probably buy one of these, which I use for lots of different heavy stuff:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-15-in-8-Pocket-Zippered-Tool-Bag-HD60015-TH/312387454

jackblack73
01-25-23, 22:15
My bag for carrying ammo and mags to the range is a cloth tool bag. I have a Kobalt bag for pistol ammo/mags and a DeWalt bag for rifle mags and ammo. Ain’t fancy and they came with the tools so no cost really but very stout.

If I was buying a bag to tote ammo, I’d probably buy one of these, which I use for lots of different heavy stuff:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-15-in-8-Pocket-Zippered-Tool-Bag-HD60015-TH/312387454

That's a good idea. I need to buy a bag to lug steel plates. A tool bag should work well.