PDA

View Full Version : Glock Pmag, are they actually worth a shit?

Sidneyious
01-06-23, 15:59
I buy primarily glock brand glock mags, I really dont know if I want to buy off brand glock mags.
I buy used glock mags and no issues, I really like that handguns are reliable when the mag is reliable.

ffs for the first time in 9 yars I purchased pmags for my ar15 because they ere $8 a mag.

jsbhike
01-06-23, 16:17
I buy primarily glock brand glock mags, I really dont know if I want to buy off brand glock mags.
I buy used glock mags and no issues, I really like that handguns are reliable when the mag is reliable.

ffs for the first time in 9 yars I purchased pmags for my ar15 because they ere $8 a mag.

The only thing I have found that would not run through a Glock Pmag is Winchester Forged(steel case) 9mm and had the same issue with ETS magazines. With the ETS magazines it was possible to see the rounds jam approximately half way down and from what I could see looking down from the top and # of rounds in the mag the same ammunition related was happening with the Pmag as well. Taking dial caliper measurements(not super precise) of Winchester Forged never turned up any obvious dimensional differences so I assume it was a combination of slight dimensional differences stacking and the somewhat coarse coating used on the steel case.

That being said, I did not have that malfunction with multiple generations of Glock factory or at least 2 different generations of KCI marked Glock mags.

I wouldn't count it as a negative against Pmag/ETS, but maybe a very slight nod to Glock/KCI on being able to feed ammo not quite where it should be.

signal4l
01-06-23, 16:22
I have been using Pmags in my G19 for years. Very good training mags. They are easier to take apart and clean than factory. They are a bit easier to damage than factory if you drop them on a concrete floor. Also slightly larger than factory. May not fit in all of your mag pouches.

I have had good luck with 21 round P mags in AR. I would avoid the 25 round mags. Mine seemed to have a weaker spring and did not lock bolt open after last round.

The steel case ammo does bind up a bit in the tube, especially if you have dust (crushed stone) from outdoor range in mag. Clean your mags. Apply a bit of armor all inside

markm
01-06-23, 16:47
Mine won't drop from the pistol, but it's functional otherwise. With Glock, it's good not expect 100% drop free all of time.

01-06-23, 16:59
I found them to not like steel cases at all.

Other than that, they seemed ok.

Budget
01-06-23, 17:13
Hard to load in my limited experience of two mags. I prefer Glock brand. Botach had em for like $18 shipped a while ago. Hard to argue anything else but factory at that price point in my opinion.

Inkslinger
01-06-23, 17:47
I can’t remember having any problems with them. I use them for training/practice and carry the Glock factory mags. Now pmags and cz scorpion didn’t mix very well.

C-grunt
01-06-23, 18:21
I have 4 or 5 Glock Pmags. I use them for training and Glock mags for duty/carry. Ive never had an issue with them at all.

OutofBatt3ry
01-06-23, 18:29
It's not worth the savings IMO.

twm134
01-06-23, 18:38
I have fired a lot of rounds (several thousands) out of 9mm Glocks using several Pmags and a lot more rounds (tens of thousands) using the factory Glock mags, over several years.

The difference that I have experienced is the Pmags do not handle or work as well as the factory mags with dirt or powder fouling. The rounds bind in the magazine body more readily or sooner than factory mags as they get dirty. That is why steel cases don't work as well. The interior of the mag body of factory Glock mags is stainless steel and I believe allows the ammunition (steel or brass cased) to roll or slide more easily when fowled.

In my opinion the Pmags work well and are not a bad value but are not worth the savings of five to six dollars per mag. Just buy factory Glock mags.

I should also add that it could be that the Glock springs are stronger than the Pmag springs and help keep the stack moving, I don't know, however either way, I WILL shoot a Pmag to failure because of powder fouling long before the Glock mags need to be cleaned.

P2Vaircrewman
01-06-23, 18:56
I have had 8 G19 Pmags for about 4 or 5 years that stay loaded 24/7 365 in my car in 95 degree summer heat, have many hundreds of rounds through them, have never been cleaned and I am yet to have a problem with them. I don't shoot steel, just aluminum or brass.

AndyLate
01-06-23, 21:14
I use them for range mags with no issues. Also use the 27 round mags in my AR-9 without issues, although I have not fired it a great deal.

Andy

ViniVidivici
01-07-23, 00:38
They're fine, except with steel case.

Here recently, I believe I've finally worn out one of my training mags, a 17 rounder.

Wishing I'd kept an accurate round count through these, the way I do the firearms, but at this point I've easily put 2,000 rounds through it.

The feedlips tend to wear, on the inside, where the cartridges slide forward out of the mag. This wear let's the rounds position in the top of the mag be at a higher than normal angle.

This mag has recently experienced a feed issue, due to this wear. Only once, and I actually shot some out of it today, with no issue, but I'm keeping an eye on it...thinking it may be done.

Obviously OEM mags don't wear this way, they're metal in that area.

I do particularly like the 21 rounders as well. They've all run 100%, except with occasional problems with steel case, and this recent issue with one high round count mag.

Time will tell.

01-07-23, 03:26
I use a few for range mags, mostly 21s, and that’s been fine over a few years. I have a shitpile of training mags, though, that actual use is spread across. Factory mags for carry/work. There’s no good reason to not use the factory mags for real shit.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-07-23, 06:01
I owned a handful back in the day, they would not run well out of my Gen 3 G34. YMMV.

Watrdawg
01-07-23, 06:34
I have a couple that I use for training but carry Glock mags.

prepare
01-07-23, 07:51
In my small sample the springs weaken a lot faster than OEM’s.

Aaron_B
01-07-23, 10:10
Been using them for training mags for a few years now. Thousands of rounds through about a dozen of them, all 17 rounders, with no issues that I can recall. I have only bought them when they were on sale for like $10ea. So it was worth the cost to beat them up over OEM mags. I still carry OEM mags in my main guns.

ST911
01-07-23, 10:22
I've used a bunch since they were first available. They work pretty well, do have some quirks as described above, and are inexpensive. Mine are contingency/training use only.

tgizzard
01-07-23, 14:57
I bought a bunch for range use a while back. Keep them clean and they run for the most part. I've found if I let them go without a decent cleaning after a few range trips I start having failure to feeds.

jesuvuah
01-07-23, 18:43
As others have mentioned, mine choke on steel case. Mine also choke when I use my suppressor. They seem to not like fouling.

I have had better luck with ets mags, (only with their Glock mags though). I only will use them for training.

I prefer just catching oem mags on sale. They are very cheap when compared to many brands and work great.

Soli Deo Gloria

BoxySatch
01-08-23, 07:24
I’ve used them for range mags and they work fine . Seldom clean them unless going to match or training.

Your mileage may vary.

Boy Scout
01-09-23, 11:43
I have had 8 G19 Pmags for about 4 or 5 years that stay loaded 24/7 365 in my car in 95 degree summer heat, have many hundreds of rounds through them, have never been cleaned and I am yet to have a problem with them. I don't shoot steel, just aluminum or brass.

This mirrors my experience and they are my trusted extended mags. I only have 21 rounders and easily have a couple thousand rounds through them. I carry one as a spare for EDC and two on my belt and two on my vest for work. I vetted them through multiple trainings and courses before fielding them for work. I have had zero issues.

Entryteam
01-09-23, 12:47
Not sure why there is any reason not to buy Glock Brand OEM mags at all.

Not like they're expensive.

Defaultmp3
01-09-23, 13:04

Not like they're expensive.Glock does not make 140mm or 170mm magazines, and rigging up an OEM body with an extension that makes them that length is easily double, if not triple, the cost of a PMAG.

For CCW, I like to carry with a 140mm magazine in the gun, and a 170mm as a reload. While the Glock 24 rounder would be an acceptable reload (it sits uncomfortably at around 165mm), there is no equivalent Glock 140mm that I would carry in the gun itself (the 19X magazines, which are 17 rounds with the Glock +2, are again uncomfortably short compared to a true 140mm magazine).

P2Vaircrewman
01-09-23, 13:11

Not like they're expensive.

How about $11.99 Pmag vs $23.99 Glock mag times 10= $119.90 vs 239.90 =$120 difference=6.5 boxes of CCI aluminum 9mm ammo. I'll take the ammo

P2Vaircrewman
01-09-23, 13:12
Double post.

Entryteam
01-09-23, 13:13
How about $11.99 Pmag vs $23.99 Glock mag times 10= $119.90 vs 239.90 =$120 difference=6.5 boxes of CCI aluminum 9mm ammo. I'll take the ammo

I'll take proven performance with no hint of a reliability issue.

But I don't make a habit of having "range mags".

01-09-23, 13:17
Whether or not one qualifies for Blue Label or gets free ammo may have an effect on how they perceive this discussion.

SteveL
01-09-23, 13:18
I've run several of them in both a G19 and G17 with no issues.

L-2
01-09-23, 14:05
P-Mags are my main mags for my ARs and my AK.

My G19 P-Mags inconsistently locked back my G19Gen5 slide, but worked fine in my G19Gen3 & G19Gen4, when I had the Gen3 and Gen4 G19s (now sold off). I traded these mags away.

My G26 P-Mags don't work well with steel-cased ammo, and inconsistent feeding even with brass-cased ammo. I've since replaced the G26 PMag springs with Glock OEM 9-coil springs. No decision yet as to how well the G26 PMags will work with the OEM mag springs. I've only got two of these G26 PMags which I now use only for range-use with my G26gen3.

My main G26 mags are Glock OEM G26 mags with Glock's +2 parts installed.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006067030?pid=968128
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006066492?pid=883766

Gary1911A1
01-10-23, 07:13
I use them for going to the range to just shoot, but for GSSF Matches and if I carried a Glock I would use factory. I can also see how many rounds I have left in a Glock Magazine if the light is good enough.

ST911
01-10-23, 08:40

Not specific to your comment, but a jumping off point.

Mag-onomics are a valid discussion but sometimes get a little silly. Especially for the Glock's widely available inexpensive mags. Look at purchase vs lifecycle cost of a magazine. For a typical shooter, mags last a long time and lifecycle cost is negligible. For a harder-use shooter, still roughly a few dollars a year or less. A single mag will usually cost less than the ammo it contains in it's first few loadings.

I have several ~1994 G19 mags still in use as range mags. I don't remember what I paid ($15?) but 28 years later we're at ~$.50 a year or so. The mags that came with my G45 ~4 years ago are done, probably the fastest to go - still only ~$6/yr if I break them out individually.

Other brands have higher price points for mags but the same principle applies. And usually don't have the aftermarket options, or at least ones you want to use.

As a durable good, guns are incredibly cheap. Especially in lifecycle cost. Glocks ridiculously so.

P2Vaircrewman
01-10-23, 09:23
Not specific to your comment, but a jumping off point.

Mag-onomics are a valid discussion but sometimes get a little silly. Especially for the Glock's widely available inexpensive mags. Look at purchase vs lifecycle cost of a magazine. For a typical shooter, mags last a long time and lifecycle cost is negligible. For a harder-use shooter, still roughly a few dollars a year or less. A single mag will usually cost less than the ammo it contains in it's first few loadings.

I have several ~1994 G19 mags still in use as range mags. I don't remember what I paid ($15?) but 28 years later we're at ~$.50 a year or so. The mags that came with my G45 ~4 years ago are done, probably the fastest to go - still only ~$6/yr if I break them out individually.

Other brands have higher price points for mags but the same principle applies. And usually don't have the aftermarket options, or at least ones you want to use.

As a durable good, guns are incredibly cheap. Especially in lifecycle cost. Glocks ridiculously so.

I have proved to myself over the years that the Pmags are find for the use I put them to, training and range use. I also use the Pro Mag 18 round mags for my G44 which also work great. Why can't Glock make a 15 rd mag for the G44.
If I had a few mil in my bank account I probably wouldn't care but I don't and I am retired on fixed income. No matter what it is I want the best bang for my buck.

jsbhike
01-10-23, 11:20
I picked the bulk of my Pmags and ETS from one of the local gun/pawn shops used(almost never) bin where they stick trade in extras so most have been around $8.

I have bought KCI new mags for the same price with no malfunctions after using the first KCI as the initial shooting mag for practice and 3 gun for several years so I would tend to vote for KCI as a slightly more solid option and at a lower cost.

ST911
01-10-23, 13:41
I have proved to myself over the years that the Pmags are find for the use I put them to, training and range use. I also use the Pro Mag 18 round mags for my G44 which also work great. Why can't Glock make a 15 rd mag for the G44.
If I had a few mil in my bank account I probably wouldn't care but I don't and I am retired on fixed income. No matter what it is I want the best bang for my buck.

Completely understood, and each choose based on their needs.

ViniVidivici
01-11-23, 00:11
Well I did some shooting last night, and did use that worn Pmag 17 rounder, 30 rounds through it, there were no malfunctions. We'll continue to keep an eye on it......

pag23
01-11-23, 03:45
Pmags for Glock are Ok, my Shadow Systems MR920 came with them and they are recommended. Not sure if this is do to the baseplate or the MR mag release.... I still prefer using Glock mags.

Slater
01-11-23, 08:05
Leapers UTG has also leaped into the Glock mag market. No idea how these perform, though.

https://leapers.com/index.php?act=prod_detail&itemno=RBT-GL917&midx=2543&allids=2535_2543

ViniVidivici
01-11-23, 08:09
I don't know how they think they're gonna sell any of those, being at the same price point as Magpul.

Sidneyious
01-11-23, 11:45
I don't know how they think they're gonna sell any of those, being at the same price point as Magpul.

They will, depends on the gun store trying to sell them.
Ive been to a couple stores and they all have different large companies they get parts and stuff from.
Locally they have a lot of magpul and RRA stuff, another had a lot of utg and second hand botac stuff.

One I go to about once every 2 years usually has a lot of higher end stuff but they mostly sell handguns and range time.
I need to see if they can get me another uic lower so I can get rid of this sprikes crusader

Slater
01-11-23, 13:40
UTG seems to be making a major push to establish itself in the AR market.

jsbhike
01-12-23, 09:56

Chinese copies of Mora knives have been out for several years and selling for the same price or more.

A buyer of a Mora is in the rare position of getting more(maybe a lot more) than what they paid for while the Chinese knock off buyer is, at best, getting their money's worth.

If that can happen the no reason UTG can't make it and some UTG stuff seems to be decent quality.

ViniVidivici
01-12-23, 10:36
Well....at the risk of great heresy, some of the UTG Pro stuff put out over the last 2 or 3 years has actually been decent quality. It IS in their best interest to put out better kit for lower prices, easy way to gain more market share.

I just mean that mag in particular offers nothing over the Magpul mag, and is as much (or more, depending on bulk deals/sales) price-wise.

I could see it catching folks' eye if it was 7 or 8 bucks.

Slater
01-12-23, 19:27
I know a couple guys that use UTG's 30-round AR mags. They seem happy with them, although I don't think they'll make anyone forget Magpul or Lancer. Apparently the windowed mag is made in Taiwan and the non-windowed version is made in Michigan.

BuzzinSATX
01-23-23, 22:12

This is same for me. Before swapping out to a G43X I carried my G26 with the 12 round PMAG…it runs fine. I really like the 21 rounders in the G17 size pistols…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidjinks
02-01-23, 04:36
I never had any luck with the Glock pistol PMAG. Now, the AR PMAG, butta!

ViniVidivici
02-01-23, 08:12
Have now shot through that worn Pmag on 2 more separate occasions, no more failures, despite the worn feedlips.

We shall continue to "see". Surely the end is near for it...

Buckeye63
02-04-23, 06:13
I use 21rd Pmags in my Keltec P2000 carbine
so far past 6 years no problem
I bought a few of the 15rders for my Dagger and 19ish build .. no problems as yet