PDA

View Full Version : Is S&W M&P 2.0 factory optic mount better than Glock MOS?

Ron3
01-07-23, 08:23
Or about the same?

Is a cut slide better than either factory option?

Todd.K
01-07-23, 08:44
I’ve heard S&W makes specific cut slides but like Glock only sells them to LE.

crosseyedshooter
01-07-23, 09:01
I think M&P CORE has the advantage due to the optic mounting screws going directly into the slide and the adapter plate mostly functions as a spacer and location reference. This provides more thread engagement of the mounting screws although there’s some controversy from S&W switching from metal to plastic spacers on the commercial SKUs. The one LE SKU I’ve seen still includes metal spacers.

There’s an LE SKU M&P 9mm 4.25” (SKU 13353 (https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/mp-m20-1)) that has a factory ACRO cut.

Ron3
01-07-23, 09:14
I think M&P CORE has the advantage due to the optic mounting screws going directly into the slide and the adapter plate mostly functions as a spacer and location reference. This provides more thread engagement of the mounting screws although there’s some controversy from S&W switching from metal to plastic spacers on the commercial SKUs. The one LE SKU I’ve seen still includes metal spacers.

There’s an LE SKU M&P 9mm 4.25” (SKU 13353 (https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/mp-m20-1)) that has a factory ACRO cut.

Thanks, that's good info!

A cut Glock mount would be lower than a CORE M&P? Or no or only slightly?

Duffy
01-07-23, 09:26
More thread engagement, past minimum thread engagement, has diminished or zero return in this application.

https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/on-thread-engagement.html

I don't think SW slide's optics footprint is superior to Glock's. Both provide means to stop the plate from moving along the bore, rotating and moving laterally. The plates make the difference at this point.

GNXII
01-07-23, 19:58
I’ve learned more from that link on FCD than any thread on the matter! Thank you, Roger!

Sidneyious
01-07-23, 22:07
if it requires a plate its garbage.
stop being poor and just get it cut

Ron3
01-08-23, 21:23
if it requires a plate its garbage.
stop being poor and just get it cut

Haven't chosen the next gun to have RDS yet.

Considering an M&P 2.0 Compact because I like my 2.0 Full size .45. If only the grip was shorter.

Or I can wait until someone comes up with an iron solution for the Beretta M92X Centurion RDO I have. Optic mounts too high to see irons. Langdon mod makes it a possibility, but the optic still ends up pretty high.

Want to put my HS507c on something else.

Todd.K
01-09-23, 14:56
Considering an M&P 2.0 Compact because I like my 2.0 Full size .45. If only the grip was shorter.

You want the original 1.0 Compact length? It should be pretty easy to cut down a grip to fit the 12rnd mags.

I look at some pistols like the A2 upper. Not worth the trouble and height to mount an optic when the flattop upper and equally more suitable pistols exist for optics.

Ron3
01-09-23, 15:12
You want the original 1.0 Compact length? It should be pretty easy to cut down a grip to fit the 12rnd mags.

I look at some pistols like the A2 upper. Not worth the trouble and height to mount an optic when the flattop upper and equally more suitable pistols exist for optics.

I don't think I can chop the full size m&p 2.0 .45 because of the detachable grip arrangement on the rear. Otherwise I would! And use the 8 rd mags.

Todd.K
01-09-23, 16:57
I don’t know anything about the .45 compact models and gens, sorry.

But I’m sure you could glue or weld the back of the grip in place.

DaBigBR
01-14-23, 00:57
The plastic plates are the weak point, but it seems like the plates are always the weak point.

Ron3
01-14-23, 06:35
The plastic plates are the weak point, but it seems like the plates are always the weak point.

They're polymer?!

Didn't know that. Don't like it.

The Beretta 92X uses steel. A high, thick slab of steel.

Duffy
01-14-23, 09:13
They are, and very thin. We can make reliably make 1018 and 4140 plates to 0.10 or so, anything thinner gives us concerns.

scooter22
01-14-23, 10:04
More thread engagement, past minimum thread engagement, has diminished or zero return in this application.

https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/on-thread-engagement.html

I don't think SW slide's optics footprint is superior to Glock's. Both provide means to stop the plate from moving along the bore, rotating and moving laterally. The plates make the difference at this point.

When will we see an FCD M&P plate?

Duffy
01-14-23, 16:41
OPF-SW, ACRO (CORE 2 and M2 only) has been around for couple of months, we're working on RMR plates. We rejected the first prototype, would like to see it lowered and hold the RMR tighter.