PDA

View Full Version : Red Dawn (1984)

01-08-23, 20:56
Turned this on for background noise while sorting brass. Haven’t seen it since TVs had 3 dials and were heavy as shit.

Damn.

Full recommend.

hotbiggun42
01-08-23, 21:01
Mostly a great movie for its time the remake was dissapointing

titsonritz
01-08-23, 21:35
“All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid."
"It keeps me warm.”

AKjeff
01-08-23, 21:39
I was in Navy boot camp when that came out, I don't remember when I finally saw it.

ViniVidivici
01-08-23, 21:42
"You can see the funeral pyres burning at night. It's....medieval..."

SteyrAUG
01-08-23, 23:25
Mostly a great movie for its time the remake was dissapointing

The remake was shit. They lost their balls, invaders were supposed to be China and they switched to the Norks out of fear of offending China. The Norks couldn't even invade Rhode Island let alone the whole damn country.

I was in high school when Red Dawn came out, we really thought that shit was probably gonna happen. I was stressing the fact that Iowa didn't have any f'ing mountains.

SteyrAUG
01-08-23, 23:28
“All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid."
"It keeps me warm.”

C. Thomas Howell flipping a custom Jody Samson balisong that retailed for $275 back in 1984. Now they sell for about $1,500.

Fun fact, Radio Free America stole "John has a long mustache" from the film The Longest Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePzwg0LyYL0

JediGuy
01-09-23, 05:45
I need to watch again soon. Ran through it after the poor remake, so it’s been a few years.
It was not complicated (mostly). Good guys and bad guys. It receives hate from the left-leaning. So obviously worth watching.

chuckman
01-09-23, 07:51
I was 15 when it came out, and I still love that movie (and it's "companion" War Games). It resonated with me because that was the height of those great 80s anti-USSR flicks and Regan's cold war push.

jsbhike
01-09-23, 08:07
Breakdown of what was in it.

https://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Red_Dawn_(1984)

jsbhike
01-09-23, 08:10
. Haven’t seen it since TVs had 3 dials and were heavy as shit.

Not sure if they would sell it, but here is a mint condition one just a few years older than the movie.

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2017/01/kitsault-ghost-town-where-lights-are.html?m=1

chuckman
01-09-23, 08:15
For me, more important that what was who: Swayze, Boothe, Howell, Lea Thompson, Charlie Sheen, Jennifer Gray. Heavy hitters of that era and generation.

I was sooooooo disappointed at the reboot. I can count on one hand the number of movies I could not finish, and that was one of them.

Edited to add wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dawn

I was unaware of some of the backstory controversies. I will also say, my neighbor, who became a father figure/mentor after my dad died, was retired Army SF. He LOVED the movie, the guerrilla warfare/insurgency aspect, and really used my love of the movie to get me to join the army and go SF (because his son, a year younger than I, had zero interest).

pinzgauer
01-09-23, 08:24
After watching the reboot I told my kids we needed to watch the original, one of mine had already seen it but the others had not. They all agreed the original was better, 70's isms and all.

BTW, I happened to meet Leah Thompson and didn't even know it at the time. She produces/directs "Stargirl", which films in my area. I had been approached by a location scout for our property, and she and a dozen other Hollywood hacks showed up one day to check it out.

She was very nice and not pretentious. The rest of the crowd gave off a very hollywood-ish vibe other than the location scouts.

It was raining and muddy and I offered to give them a ride down to my barn in my side by side. Everyone said they would walk, and she said: "well I'll ride". Then all the sudden two other lackeys change their mind and jumped in as well.

SteyrAUG
01-09-23, 16:57
I need to watch again soon. Ran through it after the poor remake, so it’s been a few years.
It was not complicated (mostly). Good guys and bad guys. It receives hate from the left-leaning. So obviously worth watching.

The one to watch is the 1987 miniseries "Amerika" which shows what life would be like in a Soviet America. It was chillingly accurate, especially the "voice of a new generation speech."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF0Cd9Wlaz0&t=4s

But there were no machine guns or explosions so most people were "tl;dr" and tuned back to the cosby show. But the homegrown commies noticed and came out of the woodwork to denounce it.

It was briefly made available on VHS and has never seen a DVD release. Everyone cites poor ratings but the leftists in Hollywood also want to keep this one silent. You can find most episodes on YT, it is worth watching.

titsonritz
01-09-23, 19:22
It was briefly made available on VHS and has never seen a DVD release. Everyone cites poor ratings but the leftists in Hollywood also want to keep this one silent. You can find most episodes on YT, it is worth watching.

It is available on DVD for Playback Region 2 with English subtitles.
https://www.amazon.com/Amerika/dp/B01M63N7OG/ref=sr_1_2?crid=DE0XKBU8573K&keywords=amerika+miniseries+dvd&qid=1673313425&s=movies-tv&sprefix=Amerika%2Cmovies-tv%2C135&sr=1-2

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-09-23, 20:25

YEs, but there was some nuance to it. The change in tactics, the Cuban Col is not cookie cutter commie.

When I leave for business trips, my son get's either "Take care of your mother and sister until I get back." OR "AVENGE ME!!!".

JediGuy
01-09-23, 20:51
The one to watch is the 1987 miniseries "Amerika" which shows what life would be like in a Soviet America. It was chillingly accurate, especially the "voice of a new generation speech."

and has never seen a DVD release. Everyone cites poor ratings but the leftists in Hollywood also want to keep this one silent. You can find most episodes on YT, it is worth watching.

Hmm. May check that out.

LoboTBL
01-09-23, 22:37
I cannot believe there are so many people who do not have a copy of it

Sidneyious
01-09-23, 23:07
The remake was shit. They lost their balls, invaders were supposed to be China and they switched to the Norks out of fear of offending China. The Norks couldn't even invade Rhode Island let alone the whole damn country.

I was in high school when Red Dawn came out, we really thought that shit was probably gonna happen. I was stressing the fact that Iowa didn't have any f'ing mountains.

No but parts of Iowa like areas of Nebraska have long sweeping hills.
I love how people always say the midwest is just flat when they've never been to Kansas or Oklahoma, want to see nothing till the end of time and pray you see a cow on the road?

usmcvet
01-09-23, 23:13

The remake sucked.

I was 12 1/2 when this movie came out. It had a huge impact on me.

Dennis
01-10-23, 00:05
The ambush montage starting with the tank taking gas always gets me going.

A timely, genius movie that captured the cold war angst of the 80s and was misunderstood by everyone wanting to stay in the fun 80s.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
01-10-23, 01:25
No but parts of Iowa like areas of Nebraska have long sweeping hills.
I love how people always say the midwest is just flat when they've never been to Kansas or Oklahoma, want to see nothing till the end of time and pray you see a cow on the road?

I'm aware. I've had to bicycle up lots of hills. Now Florida, that is completely flat.

SteyrAUG
01-10-23, 01:30
The ambush montage starting with the tank taking gas always gets me going.

A timely, genius movie that captured the cold war angst of the 80s and was misunderstood by everyone wanting to stay in the fun 80s.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

John Milius is one of my favorite writer / directors. He was the driving force behind Red Dawn.

Wrote the first two Dirty Harry films, wrote and directed Conan the Barbarian. Was also the writer for the series "Rome."

titsonritz
01-10-23, 02:19
John Milius is one of my favorite writer / directors. He was the driving force behind Red Dawn.

Wrote the first two Dirty Harry films, wrote and directed Conan the Barbarian. Was also the writer for the series "Rome."

The best two, co wrote really. Don't forget "Apocalypse Now". He worked on "Jaws" too.

Averageman
01-10-23, 04:26
I think "We" as a society were ready for that story, at that time.
We were coming out of a bad economy and a lot of mistrust in our .gov, starting to see how Reaganomics was good for us and a general rise of National pride again.
But those damned Commies...
I don't think those guys ever thought we would be where we are now...We became our own worst enemy.

Jellybean
01-10-23, 07:54
Hmm. May check that out.
As noted, Amerika is not a 'high speed' show, mostly dialogue with a few tense-ish moments, BUT... it does such a good job of portraying the characters and the situation for such an old show, that it is worth the watch. Some part may seem strangely familiar, if you've been around in the last several years...
My favorite character was probably the KGB agent.

The only real story-related gripe being the ending.
I would have turned the camera on.
You'll get it when you watch it.

After watching the reboot I told my kids we needed to watch the original, one of mine had already seen it but the others had not. They all agreed the original was better, 70's isms and all....
I just re-watched this again for the umpteenth time a week ago.
Despite the 80s-isms of the movie, the thing I realized is that this made a splash not just because it's a period "of the times" piece, but that they did a decent job of realistically portraying the situation without to much bombast. Like, the whole premise is a little unreal, but within that... so much more grounded than the remake. In fact the lack of "heroism" Vs the original is almost glaring, and I am SO down with that.
The kids spend most of their time living in their camp or traveling round the mountains, the operations they do are (mostly) small ambushes and hit and run raids appropriate for what a tiny group their size can handle. Like, even "the big raid" with the air-force guy, they are on and off the objective in minutes, because they stuck to the main objective of the raid, which was NOT to fight a whole base full of Russians. There were no f***ing Sponsored By Ford Mustangs with a damn minigun on the roof....
As much of a badass of a guy Jed is throughout the movie, I appreciated the fact that in the end, they played into the fact that your first round might not drop the guy you shoot....
Or the arc of the Colombian(?) general who, disillusionment with 'the cause' aside, wants to go home just cuz he hates cold weather. Or other moments in the show that are grim or emotional without being hammed up all to hell like most movies these days. And then some that ruin the moment cuz it's an 80s movie, but still... somehow manage to come across better than the remake.
I loved the way their first run-in with the Russians at the park is kinda happenstance, and a complete shitshow (complete with one main character literally faceplanting mid-sprint in the woods) that by mainly luck and enemy complacency turns out in their favor.
So many little moments of "yeah, I can see that happening" that the remake had some of here and there but... fell into to many current-movie tropes to dig itself out of. That and it was too "fun", too tropeishly "good guys good, bad guys evil and dumb" to really embrace the vibe of the partisan-type guerrilla ops and lifestyle the characters would be engaging in.

utahjeepr
01-10-23, 08:10
I liked that movie. I mean who didn't right. Never seen the remake but when I heard about it I figured Hollywood would just make the kids the villains. Like, "terrorists fighting the righteous SJW liberation.". I guess that was a bridge too far. It'll have to wait for the 3rd version.

I'm aware. I've had to bicycle up lots of hills. Now Florida, that is completely flat.

My wife rode RAGBRAI many years ago. She still calls bullshit anytime someone says Iowa is flat. ;)

chuckman
01-10-23, 08:47

Milius was a controversial pick and totally changed the tenor and direction of the film (I am not saying I didn't like it, because I like his movies, and I loved Red Dawn).

"John Milius
Bart recalls that things changed when "the chieftains at MGM got a better idea. Instead of making a poignant little antiwar movie, why not make a teen Rambo and turn the project over to John Milius, a genial filmmaker who loved war movies. The idea was especially popular with a member of the MGM board of directors, General Alexander Haig, the former Nixon chief of staff, who yearned to supervise the film personally and develop a movie career."[6]

Bart says most of MGM's executives, except for Yablans, were opposed to Milius directing. Bart claims he made a last minute attempt to get Reynolds to direct the film and went to see Spielberg. However, by this stage Fandango was in rough cut, and Bart sensed that Spielberg was disappointed in the film and would not speak up for Reynolds.[8] Milius was signed to direct at a fee of $1.25 million, plus a gun of his choice.[9]

Milius set about rewriting the script. He and Haig devised a backstory in which the circumstances of the invasion would occur; this was reportedly based on Hitler's proposed plans to invade the U.S. during World War II.[10] Haig took Milius under his wing, bringing him to the Hudson Institute, the conservative think tank founded by Herman Kahn, to develop a plausible scenario. Milius saw the story as a Third World liberation struggle in reverse; Haig introduced Nicaragua and suggested that, with the collapse of NATO, a left-wing Mexican government would participate in the Soviet invasion, effectively splitting the U.S. in half.[11] Bart says, "Even Milius was taken aback by Haig's approach to the project. 'This is going to end up as a jingoistic, flag-waving movie,' Milius fretted. As a result, the budget of this once $6 million movie almost tripled."[6]

Other changes included a shift in focus from conflict within the group to conflict between the teens and their oppressors, and the acceleration of the ages of some of the characters from early teens to high school age and beyond.[12] There was also the addition of a sequence where some children visit a camp to find their parents have been brainwashed.[13]

Milius later said, "I see this as an anti-war movie in the sense that if both sides could see this, maybe it wouldn't have to happen. I think it would be good for Americans to see what a war would be like. The film isn't even that violent – the war shows none of the horrors that could happen in World War III. In fact, everything that happened in the movie happened in World War II."[2]

Bart says Yablans pushed through filming faster than Milius wanted because MGM needed a movie over the summer. Milius wanted more time to plan, including devising futuristic weaponry and to not shoot over winter, but had to accede.[14]

The Pentagon withdrew its cooperation from the film"

john armond
01-10-23, 10:07
I have a DVD copy that has two modes, regular movie, and regular movie with a kill counter in the lower portion of the screen. I haven't watched it in a long time and can't remember if it was an overall counter or a good guy/bad guy counter. Makes me want to break the DVD out instead of just watching it on Netflix.

chuckman
01-10-23, 10:11
I cannot believe there are so many people who do not have a copy of it

A copy of what? I have very few DVDs now since most things can be streamed or is on one of the hundreds of channels.

jsbhike
01-10-23, 11:30
Wasn't Red Dawn the first PG13 movie? If not the first, it was an early one.

SteyrAUG
01-10-23, 13:44
As noted, Amerika is not a 'high speed' show, mostly dialogue with a few tense-ish moments, BUT... it does such a good job of portraying the characters and the situation for such an old show, that it is worth the watch. Some part may seem strangely familiar, if you've been around in the last several years...
My favorite character was probably the KGB agent.

The only real story-related gripe being the ending.
I would have turned the camera on.
You'll get it when you watch it.

I just re-watched this again for the umpteenth time a week ago.
Despite the 80s-isms of the movie, the thing I realized is that this made a splash not just because it's a period "of the times" piece, but that they did a decent job of realistically portraying the situation without to much bombast. Like, the whole premise is a little unreal, but within that... so much more grounded than the remake. In fact the lack of "heroism" Vs the original is almost glaring, and I am SO down with that.
The kids spend most of their time living in their camp or traveling round the mountains, the operations they do are (mostly) small ambushes and hit and run raids appropriate for what a tiny group their size can handle. Like, even "the big raid" with the air-force guy, they are on and off the objective in minutes, because they stuck to the main objective of the raid, which was NOT to fight a whole base full of Russians. There were no f***ing Sponsored By Ford Mustangs with a damn minigun on the roof....
As much of a badass of a guy Jed is throughout the movie, I appreciated the fact that in the end, they played into the fact that your first round might not drop the guy you shoot....
Or the arc of the Colombian(?) general who, disillusionment with 'the cause' aside, wants to go home just cuz he hates cold weather. Or other moments in the show that are grim or emotional without being hammed up all to hell like most movies these days. And then some that ruin the moment cuz it's an 80s movie, but still... somehow manage to come across better than the remake.
I loved the way their first run-in with the Russians at the park is kinda happenstance, and a complete shitshow (complete with one main character literally faceplanting mid-sprint in the woods) that by mainly luck and enemy complacency turns out in their favor.
So many little moments of "yeah, I can see that happening" that the remake had some of here and there but... fell into to many current-movie tropes to dig itself out of. That and it was too "fun", too tropeishly "good guys good, bad guys evil and dumb" to really embrace the vibe of the partisan-type guerrilla ops and lifestyle the characters would be engaging in.

Yeah, pretty much. Main thing is good writing vs terrible writing.

Milius was a controversial pick and totally changed the tenor and direction of the film (I am not saying I didn't like it, because I like his movies, and I loved Red Dawn).

"John Milius
Bart recalls that things changed when "the chieftains at MGM got a better idea. Instead of making a poignant little antiwar movie, why not make a teen Rambo and turn the project over to John Milius, a genial filmmaker who loved war movies. The idea was especially popular with a member of the MGM board of directors, General Alexander Haig, the former Nixon chief of staff, who yearned to supervise the film personally and develop a movie career."[6]

I suspect Milius probably did need to move the film from a leftist "Casualties of War" film to something more realistic. He's at odds with everyone in Hollyweird.

titsonritz
01-10-23, 14:19
Or the arc of the Colombian(?) general who, disillusionment with 'the cause' aside, wants to go home just cuz he hates cold weather.

Cuban Colonel

titsonritz
01-10-23, 14:21
You know you want 'em...

https://www.ebay.com/p/6037949467?iid=255617396036

titsonritz
01-10-23, 14:22
Wasn't Red Dawn the first PG13 movie? If not the first, it was an early one.

Yep.

What Was The First PG-13 Rated Movie? (https://www.cbr.com/pg-13-rated-movie-red-dawn/#:~:text=The%20first%20movie%20ever%20to,invasion%20of%20the%20United%20States.)

Miami_JBT
01-10-23, 21:57

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF0Cd9Wlaz0&t=4s

But there were no machine guns or explosions so most people were "tl;dr" and tuned back to the cosby show. But the homegrown commies noticed and came out of the woodwork to denounce it.

I have the entire series downloaded. It was a flop for two reasons. Bad writing and horrible production values. It killed the prime time mini-series for OTA television. The plot was good. But the scripted writing was horrible and dragged out. I'm all for a slow burn of a show, but they did writing as filler.

The plan was to make a serialized show out of this and it tanking ended that. The show cost $40 million and for the most part. It didn't seem like much was spent on the production. Most of that was spent on advertisements. The USSR hated it and threatened to shut down ABC's Moscow news bureau.

The end result is, it was a good idea of a show that ultimately crapped out.

Miami_JBT
01-10-23, 21:58

Go to Tallahassee.... it is the start of the Appalachian Foothills.

Miami_JBT
01-10-23, 22:12

He wrote Red Dawn to ultimately be an anti-war piece and he admitted it himself. The ending of the film shows it as such with Col. Bella throwing down his rifle in disgust when Jed carries Matt after the final shootout. You see Col. Bella's transformation from a proud veteran soldier to disgusted and disillusioned man who no longer believes in the mission. You also see it with the deaths of the Wolverines throughout the film, how ultimately, it is all for naught.

Overall, it is masterfully written and directed. Wrapped in 1980s Patriotic Reaganomics action with a hidden message that war is horrible. The character development is fantastic, the direction and reality of the situation (no matter how far fetched it really was) was well paced and showed the cause and effects of everyone's actions.

The only thing thst sucks is what was left on the cutting room floor. Milius stated that one scene cut was the Calumet residents having their throats cut as reprisal for the Wolverines' guerilla activities. He really wanted to show the brutality of what an occupation force does and how rebel activities effect those not involved. The McDonald's scene was cut too due to the San Ysidro McDonald's massacre. Also, the love story between Andy and Erica was deleted too. Lastly, when they're around the campfire and one of them says "don't cry!" There was a deleted part were Jed and Matt inform the rest of the camp that their families were murdered by the occupation forces.

SteyrAUG
01-11-23, 00:14
I have the entire series downloaded. It was a flop for two reasons. Bad writing and horrible production values. It killed the prime time mini-series for OTA television. The plot was good. But the scripted writing was horrible and dragged out. I'm all for a slow burn of a show, but they did writing as filler.

The plan was to make a serialized show out of this and it tanking ended that. The show cost $40 million and for the most part. It didn't seem like much was spent on the production. Most of that was spent on advertisements. The USSR hated it and threatened to shut down ABC's Moscow news bureau.

The end result is, it was a good idea of a show that ultimately crapped out.

I'm usually not a conspiracy guy, but I could see lots of people involved trying to deliberately tank it.

I remember the objections of the USSR and I understand why they didn't like the show.

At the time, it was even a bit slow to me and I didn't have sufficient understanding to grasp everything depicted. I then watched it later when I got copies on WinMX around 2002 and I thought parts of it were brilliant.

SteyrAUG
01-11-23, 00:18
He wrote Red Dawn to ultimately be an anti-war piece and he admitted it himself. The ending of the film shows it as such with Col. Bella throwing down his rifle in disgust when Jed carries Matt after the final shootout. You see Col. Bella's transformation from a proud veteran soldier to disgusted and disillusioned man who no longer believes in the mission. You also see it with the deaths of the Wolverines throughout the film, how ultimately, it is all for naught.

Overall, it is masterfully written and directed. Wrapped in 1980s Patriotic Reaganomics action with a hidden message that war is horrible. The character development is fantastic, the direction and reality of the situation (no matter how far fetched it really was) was well paced and showed the cause and effects of everyone's actions.

The only thing thst sucks is what was left on the cutting room floor. Milius stated that one scene cut was the Calumet residents having their throats cut as reprisal for the Wolverines' guerilla activities. He really wanted to show the brutality of what an occupation force does and how rebel activities effect those not involved. The McDonald's scene was cut too due to the San Ysidro McDonald's massacre. Also, the love story between Andy and Erica was deleted too. Lastly, when they're around the campfire and one of them says "don't cry!" There was a deleted part were Jed and Matt inform the rest of the camp that their families were murdered by the occupation forces.

I think any film that accurately depicts war can be qualified as "anti war."

A "pro war" film would essentially be one where the good guys always win, nothing bad happens and nobody gets hurt. I don't think I've ever seen that film.

Sam
01-11-23, 06:51
Lea Thompson ! that's all I have. :)

Lowdown3
01-12-23, 08:13
You know you want 'em...

https://www.ebay.com/p/6037949467?iid=255617396036

Yes, thanks!!!

The only question is do you buy two sets? 1 to play with now and one to keep for posterity? LOL

gaijin
01-12-23, 08:22
Turned this on for background noise while sorting brass. Haven’t seen it since TVs had 3 dials and were heavy as shit.

Damn.

Full recommend.

: ) And 3 channels in our area.

WOLVERINES!!

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-12-23, 08:31

A "pro war" film would essentially be one where the good guys always win, nothing bad happens and nobody gets hurt. I don't think I've ever seen that film.

Some famous director got agitated with a reporter that accused him of making a 'pro-war' film. I don't remember the exact quote, but it was along the lines of if you think this is pro war, you didn't watch the movie. The most 'pro-war' ones would be the movies made during WWII, but they always had the death of good guy characters to make the address the need for sacrifice.

chuckman
01-12-23, 10:32
Some famous director got agitated with a reporter that accused him of making a 'pro-war' film. I don't remember the exact quote, but it was along the lines of if you think this is pro war, you didn't watch the movie. The most 'pro-war' ones would be the movies made during WWII, but they always had the death of good guy characters to make the address the need for sacrifice.

I did not think it was pro-war or necessarily anti-war, I thought it was a good representation of a scenario that showed some pros and cons to each side.

I think the last truly pro-war movie I saw was John Wayne and The Green Berets.

Miami_JBT
01-12-23, 12:10
I'm usually not a conspiracy guy, but I could see lots of people involved trying to deliberately tank it.

I remember the objections of the USSR and I understand why they didn't like the show.

At the time, it was even a bit slow to me and I didn't have sufficient understanding to grasp everything depicted. I then watched it later when I got copies on WinMX around 2002 and I thought parts of it were brilliant.

Parts of it were well done, but parts of it were horrible too. The publicity leading up to it was greater than the actual finished product.

The USSR disliked it as did the UN since it painted both in a bad color.

But overall, it crapped out due to subpar writing and production.

Miami_JBT
01-12-23, 12:13

Plenty of pro-war films are made where you have death portrayed as heroic sacrifices by the good guys.

Milius stated it was an anti-war film in its undertones and I agree with him. Again, I think Red Dawn was fantastic for a number of reasons. A lot of folks just scoff at it as being a 1980s action movie.

mig1nc
01-15-23, 07:36

Sounds like an extended version would be really interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro