PDA

View Full Version : I hate the 3rd gen Glock grip hump. Remove it? P80? Other gen?

Ron3
01-09-23, 14:51
I rarely shoot my old gen 3 G19 because the grip angle is so different than my other pistols. The grip has already been texturized, finger grooves shaved, and undercut and that's been worthwhile.

But I still can't stand the hump.

I recall the gen 4 with no accessory attached having less hump. Is my memory right about that?

What's the best way to go from here?

Buy a complete P80 frame? (They sell those, right?)

Get a later gen Glock with a smaller hump. (Do they?)

Or buy that template kit so I can cut off the hump and glue on the replacement flat from same company?

It seems like the template kit would be the easiest & least expensive route and once I had it could do other gen 3 Glocks in the future.

Todd.K
01-09-23, 17:48
I found the hump on the G17 to be less of a bother, so I sold my G19. These days I would probably consider an aftermarket frame if I didn’t have to go away from Glock for magazine reasons.

The hump remains on Gen4-5. I’ve seen some cut the bottom half off a grip insert. The medium grip gets you back to a Gen3 size, but the shorter trigger reach is my favorite thing on the newer gens.

You can also cut a slit down the back and then heat it up, squish it back together, and weld it.

titsonritz
01-09-23, 17:58
I found the hump on the G17 to be less of a bother, so I sold my G19.

I'm the opposite and prefer the hump of a G19.3 over the G17.3.

L-2
01-09-23, 21:57
I don't have one of these, but do consider (hold &/or shoot) a Shadow Systems brand handgun as part of the decision-making process as for what to do. I understand folks are particularly liking the grip shape/feel of the Shadow Systems guns.

https://shadowsystemscorp.com/

Sidneyious
01-09-23, 22:50
Zev does grip mods.
Im fine with it on my 19.4 and 19.5, I run with the chopped beavertails like these.
https://greatlakescustomworks.com/product/oem-glock-beavertail-backstrap-chop/

SteyrAUG
01-10-23, 03:38
For the longest time I had my original Gen 1 from 1987 and a Gen 3 from sometime in 2002 and I shot them exactly the same. The only time I ever noticed any difference was when I added NS to my Gen 3 and of course if I was running a weapon light.

Same with Colt A1 and A2 pistol grips, I've seen guys trip out over the A2s with serious hate, I don't even noticed them.

The only pistol grip / group I actually have any real feelings for are the old German poly S-E-F groups on early MP5s. That selector is so damn tight it takes two thumbs to move it, so I just left it on F. Some guys filed the numb down a bit but I never bothered. I eventually tracked a steel S-E-F group and solved all my problems.

yoni
01-10-23, 03:51
I hate the Glock hump, it doesn't matter if it is a 17,34,35 or the 19, 23, 32.

For the larger Glocks I did 2 different things to solve the problem. The first attempt was to cut the hump out and replace it with a flat piece of polymer. This was a huge improvement but didn't look that great. Then Grey Ghost had a 50% off sale so I bought 2 frames. Now I have a Glock 34 and 35 that feel great and look great.

On the Glock 32 I thought I would do it in stages. I ground the finger grooves off and reduce the hump. Now it feels great in the hand. I used board tape on the grips and then undercut the trigger guard. It isn't as cool looking as the Grey Ghost but it works great.

This combined with true - connectors, in the case of the Glock 32 it was a Black Yikes from Glock Store, with an Over Watch trigger. In the 34 it is a original Glock minus connector and Over Watch trigger. The 35 has a Boogey man excumunicado trigger with original - trigger. I don't have a trigger gauge but the 32 and 35 triggers feel identical, and they are triggers that work very well for me.

Gary1911A1
01-10-23, 07:09
There is this device. I have no connection with the company. Dave Spaulding of Combat Combative mentioned it. https://store.otdefense.com/products/gripfix-hump-eliminator

Ron3
01-10-23, 20:29
There is this device. I have no connection with the company. Dave Spaulding of Combat Combative mentioned it. https://store.otdefense.com/products/gripfix-hump-eliminator

I think I have to try this.

yoni
01-11-23, 04:33
I cut the hump off my Glock 35 frame free hand and went very slow. Then I glued in place the replacement piece. It felt good, but I can't stipple worth a damn so it didn't look so good. A good friend gave me such a hard time about having a really ugly pistol. So I bought the Grey Ghost frames.

If ATF backs down on the whole brace thing, then I will use the ugly frame as part of what I will put together a gun to use with KPOS unit in 357 sig.

Texaspoff
01-11-23, 07:53
I cut the hump off my Glock 35 frame free hand and went very slow. Then I glued in place the replacement piece. It felt good, but I can't stipple worth a damn so it didn't look so good. A good friend gave me such a hard time about having a really ugly pistol. So I bought the Grey Ghost frames.

If ATF backs down on the whole brace thing, then I will use the ugly frame as part of what I will put together a gun to use with KPOS unit in 357 sig.

The theory is sound, but glue isn't forever.

Way better solution, permanent and nothing to fall out or off.

https://i.imgur.com/4DX5vczl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/iiCW8erl.jpg

TXPO

yoni
01-11-23, 18:52
I glued it and then stippled it, looks like hell but nothing will fall off.

But it is just sitting in a tool box having been replaced by Grey Ghost frame

The_War_Wagon
01-11-23, 22:28
The one GOOD thing about a Gluck - there's nothing so terrible about it that can't be dremel-ed away!

jsbhike
01-12-23, 07:12
Finally remembered where this is at.

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/learndetail.aspx?lid=10437

Ron3
01-12-23, 08:21
The one GOOD thing about a Gluck - there's nothing so terrible about it that can't be dremel-ed away!

True. :) (well, except maybe BTF)

And they are already ugly.

Todd.K
01-12-23, 08:22
These days I’d be more inclined to glue and weld, a beavertail cut off a Gen4-5 grip spacer than make it out of bedding epoxy.

Any experts have thoughts?

Texaspoff
01-12-23, 13:36
These days I’d be more inclined to glue and weld, a beavertail cut off a Gen4-5 grip spacer than make it out of bedding epoxy.

Any experts have thoughts?

While it may be not the best looking way, but is definitely the most durable.

I did a few and tried to work up a more reliable way than just epoxy and was never able to get one done that would hold up over time and range sessions.

I will cut the beavertail backstraps down and mold them to the frames after my reduction process. I also do not affix them permanently to the frame, so they can be removed whenever the customer wants.

TXPO

ViniVidivici
01-13-23, 10:36
Indeed, reducing with heat then stipling worked great for me. Have candle, will travel. Throw in some sand paper and a soldering iron, and damn the grip is awesome now, and looks good too.

Todd.K
01-13-23, 13:14
Do you think it’s possible to make a Gen3 short frame? Shrink the upper half of the grip to take the smaller Gen4-5 trigger housing?

ViniVidivici
01-13-23, 18:08
No......