PDA

View Full Version : Buying things that last

Nathan_Bell
12-26-08, 17:29
In the "What did you get for Christmas" thread I mentioned I got a new blankie ( Hudson Bay 8 point Woolrich). One of the reasons my mother gave that she purchased them for all of us is that they will outlast all of us if we take care of them. Kind of a cool thought behind a gift.

This got me thinking about what is really out on the market these days that you know you will buy one of and never have to replace it? I have come up with good furniture, watches, jewelry, and guns as all being potentially multigenerational goodness.

What other items are made anymore that can stand the test of time, while being used for their designed purpose? Is this possibly why those of us who dig guns tend to dig at least one or two other hobbies that have things that will last for more than one day past the manufacturers' warranty?

SeriousStudent
12-26-08, 17:56
A quality knife.

A good flashlight - Surefires are usually mentioned.

The crystal Scotch glass sitting next to my monitor leaps to mind. ;)

I have heard the saying "Buy once, cry once." I usually follow it for purchases that I wish to pass on to my daughter and son.

Bat Guano
12-26-08, 20:38
I have done pretty well with Craftsman tools. Started my tool box with a set of 1/2" sockets in 1969 or so and they are still doing service as well as they were the day I bought them.

Still using a Victorinox Swiss knife that goes back to at least 1982 or so. It's been factory rebuilt once, may go back again someday. Couldn't survive without it.

M1 Garands and S&W M&P (aka Model 10) .38 Special revolvers.

Bausch & Lomb WWII Navy 7 X 50 binoculars.

Toyotas.

citizensoldier16
12-26-08, 20:55
I have done pretty well with Craftsman tools. Started my tool box with a set of 1/2" sockets in 1969 or so and they are still doing service as well as they were the day I bought them.

+1 for Craftsman tools. My dad bought me a metal (powdercoated) toolbox for Christmas when I was 10 and inside it were a few screwdrivers and a socket set. I still have them, as well as many more. Still even have the toolbox. They have a no-questions-asked lifetime warranty, literally. I broke the tip of a flathead screwdriver once opening a can of paint and took it to Sears and showed it to the customer service guy. He said "go grab another one off the shelf" so I did and brought it back to the counter, expecting to have to fill out a form or something. But, much to my surprise, he said "alright, have a good one!".

BAC
12-26-08, 21:06
I have heard the saying "Buy once, cry once."

One of my favorite phrases. :)

Afghans (the blanket things), bags/briefcases, binoculars, firearms, jackets, knives, and watches all come to mind when talking about things that you can buy to last for generations.

One of the most overlooked hand-me-downs is a good book. Got a couple older ones I'm pretty protective over, and have every intention of handing down one day. Whatever happens with technology, there just isn't something that gives the proper feel of reading a good, old book.

-B

SeriousStudent
12-26-08, 22:09

One of the most overlooked hand-me-downs is a good book. Got a couple older ones I'm pretty protective over, and have every intention of handing down one day. Whatever happens with technology, there just isn't something that gives the proper feel of reading a good, old book.

-B

Interesting you mention that. It took me a couple of months, but I tracked down a mint first-edition of a 100-year-old book as a Christmas present this year. To say the recipient was thrilled would be to put it mildly.

SIGfest
12-26-08, 23:10
Hudson Bay=Great gift

lwoper
12-27-08, 00:05
a good set of quality hand tool like MAC, Snap-on, or craftsman.

Mr.Goodtimes
12-27-08, 00:21
some good cookwear, like pots and pans and bowls etc... i have some of these ceramic coated bowls that were my great grandmothers, have been used every day since about 1920 somethin and they still look and perform all bowl type functions with 150% reliability!

SeriousStudent
12-27-08, 08:55
Yes, cookware is definitely an heirloom. I have some cast iron skillets and a dutch oven that are about 80 years old.

cunroe
12-27-08, 09:48
"What other items are made anymore that can stand the test of time, while being used for their designed purpose?"

Fine reds, specifically Bordeaux's and Cabernets, stored and if required or desired, consumed within their respective life-span.

RWK
12-27-08, 10:01
What other items are made anymore that can stand the test of time, while being used for their designed purpose?

United States Marines!

Oh, you said items. Sorry... ;)

fabulous45s
12-27-08, 12:58
Anything made by Filson.

http://www.filson.com/home/index.jsp

white spaniard
12-27-08, 15:28
In 1987 my father bought me a 1981 Isuzu I-Mark diesel as a Christmas/graduation gift still have it doesn't get driven alot though. It still runs good, body is another story.

Flash Point
12-28-08, 08:42
Do families still pass down Bibles anymore?

I have a good quality knife made with Solingen steel that my grandfather picked up 50+ years ago. Good as new.

Not many things made new today tend to last for generations. Perhaps a $10,000 table saw will be around for awhile.

Alpha Sierra
12-28-08, 09:42
Judging by the number of people who shop at China Mart, we are in the minority.

Mr.Goodtimes
12-28-08, 09:47
those isuzu diesels were beasts! didnt make much power but they would run forever! i think my dad had one in the '80's before i was born, but then sold it and upgraded to a 88 f350 diesel... it was the first year they made the 7.3.... he sold that truck when i was about 14 to buy another (same type, just newer) , it had 246,000 miles on it and it was in mint condition, cranked up no problem every morning, the paint had been re done, inside was in good shape, he only got 4,000 dollars for it...i wanted it so bad, i was gonna lift it and put bigger tires on it. He still sold it though and now even he wishes he woulda kept it for me lol... ford doesent make em like that any more, we just traded in his 2003 f350 (6.0L) with 60,000 miles on it, at 60,000 it was self destructing... it needed about $4,000 worth of work done to the engine, mostly injector related issues which if you know anything about the 6.0's, their plagued with injector trouble. traded it in for a 09 dodge 3500 with a 6.7 cummins in it. Cummins is know for building a good engine and, dodges quality has really turned around. As soon as they crack the computer code for the 6.7 were pullin off all that emissions crap, puttin a 5in exhaust and super chipin it lol :D

/end insanely long post

sewvacman
12-28-08, 10:14
Miele canister vacuums cleaners- 28 year average, re-buildable and a guarantee that parts will be available 40 years after it is discontinued. 7 yr motor warranty $300
Necchi metal sewing machines- 40+ year average-25 year parts and labor warranty $250

Thus the name SEW VAC MAN

OH yeah, Randall knives, smith revolvers and MAC tools.

Littlelebowski
12-28-08, 12:00
I have a Swedish Mauser CG63 marked "1901" on the receiver. Blueing is perfect and the rifle recently outshot a DPMS LR308 at the range :D

Just a thing of beauty. Her name is Heidi.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/DSCN06601.jpg

fabulous45s
12-28-08, 17:01
Gransfors Bruks axes. The absolute best in heavy edges.

http://www.gransfors.us/axes.html

Snow and Nealley if Gransfors gives you sticker shock.

http://www.snowandnealley.com/products/axes/obsb3530.htm

ToddG
12-28-08, 17:13
Come on, not one person so far has said Hanes underwear ...

fabulous45s
12-28-08, 20:08
Come on, not one person so far has said Hanes underwear ...

Who needs underwear?

Pi3
12-28-08, 21:22
A good spotting scope