PDA

View Full Version : Avatar II (Review)

WillBrink
01-10-23, 09:17
While I rarely go to theaters to see movies these days, I knew this one required seeing it in 3D in a theater to enjoy what made this one, and first, worth seeing. The visuals and CGI are gorgeous and like the first Avatar, almost make up for the very basic weak predictable plot: evil humans and their greed want to take a beautiful planet from the peaceful natives. Considering the original Avatar came out over a decade ago, they don't make any effort to bring viewers up to speed, so some may want to watch the original before seeing this one. This one ends with the obvious intention for part III, and ends in an unsatisfying way. Bad guy gets away, evil humans are not vanquished, and we will have to wait some years to see if the tall blue cat people prevail. Bottom line is, see it in theaters in 3D as intended for what makes the movie worth seeing, if you enjoyed the first Avatar, you should enjoy this one, neither particularly memorable movies. Some times it's just nice, especially in these times, to have you mind somewhere else for a few hours, and Avatar II accomplishes that. B+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9MyW72ELq0

markm
01-10-23, 09:22
almost make up for the very basic weak predictable plot: evil humans and their greed want to take a beautiful planet from the peaceful natives.

More specifically, the evil white corporations and the evil military doing their bidding.

After soaking in the first Avatar, I'd never have interest in seeing the second film. Visually entertaining, but tainted with bitch-ass political undertones.

WillBrink
01-10-23, 09:43
More specifically, the evil white corporations and the evil military doing their bidding.

After soaking in the first Avatar, I'd never have interest in seeing the second film. Visually entertaining, but tainted with bitch-ass political undertones.

I can't disagree with any of that, but while overly blatant as to intent, corporations with the military doing their bidding happens and has happened many times. So, while it lacks any nuances on that front, it's not a fabrication of human greed and behaviors per se. I don't generally mind that trope as there's a kernel of reality to it.

1_click_off
01-10-23, 09:55
Ferngully for adults. I saw the first one and have zero desire to see the second.

Johnny Rico
01-10-23, 10:19
I can't disagree with any of that, but while overly blatant as to intent, corporations with the military doing their bidding happens and has happened many times. So, while it lacks any nuances on that front, it's not a fabrication of human greed and behaviors per se. I don't generally mind that trope as there's a kernel of reality to it.

Agreed. British East India Company anyone?

WillBrink
01-10-23, 10:29
Agreed. British East India Company anyone?

Much more recent and US, the Banana Wars. A true low point for the US following the example the British East India Company etc and a total abuse of US foreign policy, mil, etc. While movies like Avatar may be overly simplistic, there's no lack of historical precedent that it has happened, still does today, maybe not quite as blatant and under a few more layers, but happens. So, I can forgive movies using the trope vs others which may be patently false.

Slater
01-10-23, 15:39
James Cameron says that Avatar 4 and 5 should be a "go". Apparently, Avatar 3's principle photography (or whatever the CGI version is called) is complete.

Coal Dragger
01-10-23, 16:34
Dances With Wolves in Space II.

Lame when Kevin Costner did the first version on the plains.

Lame when it was overgrown blue smurfs on some hippie fantasy world.

Super lame when the smurfs are frolicking in the ocean on super hippie fantasy world for a second go at the most cliché plot line ever.

How about a movie where the military industrial complex crushes the natives, enslaves or kills all of them, and all the evil corporate/military white dudes get rich? At least that would be original.

Maybe in Avatar III the Weyland Corporation will finally figure out how to control those xenomorphs, and we can watch two hours of overgrown smurfs battling face suckers, and adult xenomorphs while some evil white heterosexual protagonist executive/military leader in charge of mining the planet becomes wealthy beyond comprehension. Give him a secretary that is extremely attractive and put in plenty of T&A scenes that are completely unnecessary like a good 80’s movie.

SteyrAUG
01-10-23, 16:44
If I want to look at pretty stuff from people who believe the political opposite of me, I have every Andrew Blake film on DVD.

kirkland
01-10-23, 17:56
I died laughing at "Fern Gully for adults" and "Dances with Wolves in Space II" Both very true and exactly how I feel. I did watch the first one in theaters years and years ago. Have no idea why it took so long for them to make a second one, but it doesn't matter, I have zero desire to watch it or any other steaming pile of wokeness Hollywood is putting out nowdays.

SteyrAUG
01-10-23, 19:33
Maybe in Avatar III the Weyland Corporation will finally figure out how to control those xenomorphs, and we can watch two hours of overgrown smurfs battling face suckers, and adult xenomorphs while some evil white heterosexual protagonist executive/military leader in charge of mining the planet becomes wealthy beyond comprehension. Give him a secretary that is extremely attractive and put in plenty of T&A scenes that are completely unnecessary like a good 80’s movie.

I would watch "Aliens on Avatar."

After a month of dealing with xeno's those giant blue smurfs would be ready to trade us all of their natural resources for some UA571-C sentry guns.

robbins290
01-11-23, 09:19
I would watch "Aliens on Avatar."

After a month of dealing with xeno's those giant blue smurfs would be ready to trade us all of their natural resources for some UA571-C sentry guns.

That would be a bomb ass movie. I am a huge fan of the Xenomorphs. IF you are interested in some short stories about Xeno's. Check this out on youtube. I found it on accident. Was very impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgozCrmQmH4

Johnny Rico
01-11-23, 10:30
I wouldn't mind seeing Predator finds Pandora made.

SteyrAUG
01-11-23, 13:36
I wouldn't mind seeing Predator finds Pandora made.

I would watch that also. I think Hollywood is missing a huge franchise opportunity.