PDA

View Full Version : It's Le-"jern" not Le-"june"

titsonritz
01-10-23, 15:16
General John Archer Lejeune (luh jern) served for nearly 40 years in the military, commanding the U.S. Army's 2nd Division during World War I and serving as the highest-ranking officer of the Marine Corps from 1920 to 1929. General Lejeune used his skills as an expert administrator, diplomat and gentle persuader to keep the Corp funded while protecting the Marines from political plans for absorption into the Navy or Army.

During his service, Lejeune presided over what is known as the first enlightenment of the Marine Corps. Lejeune directed intelligence gathering operations in the Pacific in the early 1920s, and drove changes in the organization, training, education, and equipping of Marines - thus transforming them from 19th century colonial naval infantry into a combined arms amphibious force needed to prevail in World War Two.

His sense of honor, exemplary good character, and love of country and the corps contributed to the modernization of a vital branch of the US Armed Forces. For many General John Archer Lejeune is the greatest Marine of all Time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZgugv5DLhc

chuckman
01-10-23, 15:27
Lol, try telling the people in Jacksonville and Onslow County that (regarding the pronunciation).

That was good, though. Thanks for posting.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-10-23, 16:35
I remember learning Luh-jern in boot camp. But if you ever said it outside of boot camp, people looked at you like you were Ruh-terded.

Coal Dragger
01-10-23, 16:38
Glad I never had to be stationed there, although I did some training there once.

Should be called Camp Swamp Ass and Bugs.

chuckman
01-10-23, 17:19
Glad I never had to be stationed there, although I did some training there once.

Should be called Camp Swamp Ass and Bugs.

My dad retired from there, so I grew up there, then I was stationed there. I love that area but it means something different for me than for a lot of other people.