PDA

View Full Version : Which Subpar Y2K Era Striker Fire Would You Choose? S&W SW9VE Sigma Vs FN Forty-Nine

Miami_JBT
01-10-23, 17:36
It is 2002 and you're agency is flush with cash due to GWB but the grant states it can't be foreign made. You're switching from a revolver to an automatic and these are your two choices since the S&W is made in Springfield, MA and the FN is made in Columbia, SC. Which would you choose?

https://i.imgur.com/T5yplEu.jpeg

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/prodimages/alt_images/SW9VE%20USED3-2.JPG

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/prodimages/alt_images/SW9VE%20USED3-1.JPG

S&W introduced the Sigma series in 1994 and it was their first polymer framed GLOCK clone. It was subpar more and known for having a nine pound trigger pull. It was later updated by 1998/1999 with the Value Enhanced Series and came from the factory with a twelve pound trigger pull. Chambered in 9mm (16rds) and .40 S&W (14rds), the gun stuck around until the early 2010s, when it was replaced with the SD line.

https://i.imgur.com/sq9uSs4.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/kWbIBP6.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/Cyw3MAh.jpeg

FN's first polymer framed GLOCK clone, introduced in 2000 and kept in production until 2005. This was pretty much a more expensive and "refined" Sigma. Also chambered in 9mm (16rds) and .40 S&W (14rds), the trigger pull on the Forty-Nine was coming in about ten and a half pounds, but was a true DOA for a second restrike capability.

Both suck, you don't have another choice. It is one of the two.

titsonritz
01-10-23, 17:56
I'd have to go with the FN so I wouldn't have to be reminded daily how much I use to love Smith and Wesson.

TMS951
01-11-23, 06:18
Jesus, can I just keep my revolver?

AKjeff
01-11-23, 06:41
If I HAD to pick one, and they're both crap, I'd go with the FN.
It looks a little more lethal if used as a bludgeoning instrument.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-11-23, 08:53
How much of the Sigma ended up in the M&P line of handguns?

markm
01-11-23, 09:08
FN just cuz it looks way less GAY than the Sigma.

Hush
01-11-23, 09:14
These two pistols look more inbred than John Fetterman.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

SomeOtherGuy
01-11-23, 09:14
Ruger P95, or P944 if .40 S&W? Not striker but ticks all the other boxes, and would choose it over both of those.

I somehow totally missed the (past) existence of the FN Forty-Nine, and I used to read the CDNN catalog like a comic book.

Averageman
01-11-23, 09:25
This was an interesting time, pre Glock.
Honestly I carried a 1911 and a Ruger Security Six with a 4 inch barrel.

1_click_off
01-11-23, 09:35
Sigma. Buddy has one. Oddly it fits well in my hands and I can shoot it well. Still a horrible gun.

FN is out because I handled one years ago at a bass pro and they didn’t have the polymer mix right on it. The fire control group was ejecting itself out of the frame. The idiot just put it back in the display case after I pointed out it was melting like a plastic jig in a tackle box. Never wanted anything FN since.

kerplode
01-11-23, 11:20
If I was somehow in charge of selecting for an LE agency, I'd use the tried and true method employed by useless bureaucrats everywhere...I'd pick the product whose rep bought me the fanciest dinner or delivered the most free shit / kickbacks / backdoor political contributions.

If I was selecting for myself, using my own money, I'd probably stick with the revolver...

markm
01-11-23, 11:22
Sigma. Buddy has one. Oddly it fits well in my hands and I can shoot it well. Still a horrible gun.

FN is out because I handled one years ago at a bass pro and they didn’t have the polymer mix right on it. The fire control group was ejecting itself out of the frame. The idiot just put it back in the display case after I pointed out it was melting like a plastic jig in a tackle box. Never wanted anything FN since.

Yikes. I'd really take either gun and shoot it until failure. It would be nice to have a beater 9mm for shooting sketchy ammo.

gsd2053
01-11-23, 13:14
Why wast time and money on the subpar stuff. There are so many excellent quality pistols to collect.

markm
01-11-23, 13:25
Why wast time and money on the subpar stuff. There are so many excellent quality pistols to collect.

See my sigline from one of our sage members here!!

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-11-23, 13:31
Where these seriously the only striker fired USA made guns at the time? Or just the most meh guns? I’m thinking back, and I don’t remember what the choices would be - if it had to be made in the USA.

Ruger P95, or P944 if .40 S&W? Not striker but ticks all the other boxes, and would choose it over both of those.

I somehow totally missed the (past) existence of the FN Forty-Nine, and I used to read the CDNN catalog like a comic book.

Ah CDNN, trying to figure out what was a real POS and what might have some real use or value. I kick myself that I didn’t buy at least two HK PSPs for $499…. Buying hi-cap SW59 mags for my HS2000 and modifying the mag release to work- and an O ring to keep from over inserting…

SteyrAUG
01-11-23, 13:32
FN, it has a better trigger (to me) than the Smegma.

Miami_JBT
01-11-23, 15:06
If I was somehow in charge of selecting for an LE agency, I'd use the tried and true method employed by useless bureaucrats everywhere...I'd pick the product whose rep bought me the fanciest dinner or delivered the most free shit / kickbacks / backdoor political contributions.

If I was selecting for myself, using my own money, I'd probably stick with the revolver...

GLOCK would have taken you to the strip club on their dime.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-11-23, 18:03
GLOCK would have taken you to the strip club on their dime.

Strippers don’t like quarters, let alone dimes. I know.

Miami_JBT
01-11-23, 20:38
Strippers don’t like quarters, let alone dimes. I know.

True, it is considered a social fopa to pay with quarters, even silver dollars.

The_War_Wagon
01-11-23, 22:26
Colt All-American 2000!!! :jester:

grizzman
01-11-23, 22:41
The striker-fired requirement is the kicker in this scenario.

I'd choose some other imaginary situation, rather than choose between two old and mediocre (at best) pistols.

SteyrAUG
01-11-23, 23:09

How did I forget that 12 lb trigger monstrocity? Even worse than the HK VP70 and at least that one was predicated on a 3 shot burst concept.

How Stoner and Knight ended up producing the Colt AA 2000 is something I will never fully understand. It's like Browning designing the Hi Point.

HKGuns
01-11-23, 23:58
Ah CDNN, trying to figure out what was a real POS and what might have some real use or value. I kick myself that I didn’t buy at least two HK PSPs for $499….

Some were real nice.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230112/3ffb5fe3491c06d1333b8388eb01d328.jpg

Miami_JBT
01-12-23, 00:18

That's just wrong man.

Miami_JBT
01-12-23, 00:19
How did I forget that 12 lb trigger monstrocity? Even worse than the HK VP70 and at least that one was predicated on a 3 shot burst concept.

How Stoner and Knight ended up producing the Colt AA 2000 is something I will never fully understand. It's like Browning designing the Hi Point.

Colt lawyers ruined the trigger. The original concept was for a concealable firearm. Also, the VP70Z still has a worse trigger.

titsonritz
01-12-23, 16:31
Colt lawyers ruined the trigger. The original concept was for a concealable firearm. Also, the VP70Z still has a worse trigger.

I'll agree with that. I think the only trigger worse than an HK VP70 is a Nagant M1895.

nick84
01-13-23, 01:24
Wasn't the Sigma the design that Glock sued S&W over and now gets royalties for every one sold? If I had to go between these two...the Smith. But, ugh. Not everything about the 2000s is nostalgia.

Miami_JBT
01-13-23, 12:08
Wasn't the Sigma the design that Glock sued S&W over and now gets royalties for every one sold? If I had to go between these two...the Smith. But, ugh. Not everything about the 2000s is nostalgia.

There was a lawsuit, it was settled out of court in 1997 for $6-$8 million. Royalty fes were not part of the agreement.