PDA

View Full Version : Most reliable centerfire and up suppressed pistol?

Ron3
01-10-23, 20:10
Oops. Messed up subject title, unable to fix.

I understand suppressors decrease reliability in general. Blow-back guns run better but I don't know of any centerfire blow-back guns that can mount an RDS so one can aim well.

I'm thinking of an HD pistol with a muffler and RDS.

Nothing rare or $4k specialty/ custom guns.

JPB
01-10-23, 21:28
HK USP 45T or 9T.

01-10-23, 23:19
I’ve been running a Surefire Ryder 9ti on a Glock 17.5 for 5 years and I don’t recall a malfunction.

Ron3
01-11-23, 09:55
I do have a Beretta M92GX Centurion.

I read 92's tend to do better than some suppressed, but it would need to be very reliable. I can't stand guns that choke.

Pappabear
01-11-23, 11:32
FN x. It’s a 45 but can take a can and RDS. I kinda want one. For $4K you could get any number of custom builds or milling jobs to your favorite handgun.
Stacatto P DPO/DUO with thread barrel for the premium gun option. Hell you get get Nighthawk etc done as well. Lotta options at $4K.

Ron3 suggested a Beretta which is certainly an option.

PB

Todd.K
01-11-23, 11:49
It really only needs to be reliable enough for you to figure out how bad suppressing a pistol is. Outside of fun or some operating operationally fantasy it totally messes with the recoil impulse and makes it hard to shoot fast and well.

That said you can probably use whatever full sized pistol you currently have, if you can get a factory threaded barrel for it. Aftermarket barrels are way better than they used to be, but reliability of a factory barrel is almost never in question.

Defaultmp3
01-11-23, 12:00
I will second the notion that a suppressed handgun, especially with a full-sized can, is mostly just a toy, and not something I'd want to use for home defense. The muzzle heaviness makes the gun return to target very differently to an unsuppressed gun, same thing with target transitions. It also makes the gun much longer in overall length, negating the potential advantage that a handgun has in being able to compress smaller, and being more usable in a clinch. The large shifts in POA/POI means that converting between suppressed and unsuppressed use is a hassle, so you'd likely have to just dedicate such a gun to the suppressed HD role. I would strongly suggest either suppressing a PCC if noise attenuation is a big concern, or else just use a suppressed rifle, compared to having a suppressed handgun.

Ron3
01-11-23, 12:30
Thanks, guys!

I'll skip it and focus on my PCC's / rifles.

Except for my Beretta 81's. I'm waiting on a threaded .32 acp barrel. For fun.

Todd.K
01-11-23, 13:43
For a suppressed pistol I’ve always been interested in a B&T TP9 because the suppressor doesn’t mount to the barrel.

But that’s way into exotic and expensive, and I have no idea how shootable it is as a pistol.

Defaultmp3
01-11-23, 14:14
For a suppressed pistol I’ve always been interested in a B&T TP9 because the suppressor doesn’t mount to the barrel.

But that’s way into exotic and expensive, and I have no idea how shootable it is as a pistol.I've been told that the plastic mags are relatively fragile, and there are perennial complaints about how bad the trigger is. One high level shooter I know (GJM, he's occasionally on here) has stated that he shot his TP9 slower than his handguns, due to just how bad the trigger is.

Just back from the initial range session with the TP9. Mine is set up with the B&T collapsing brace, Tail Hook mod 1, Smith VFG. I plopped on an RMR in a MI a low mount, which was a good match, although I would prefer a Micro.

The TP9 was reliable with the 15 and 30 round magazine I tested. I shot AE 115, Lawman 124 and some 124 +P Gold Dot. POI was pretty close with all there loads. It recoiled more than the APC9 Pro and HK SP5K. The B&T/Tail Hook combo was compact and not uncomfortable. The factory sights are vestigial. Ergonomics are acceptable. It is significantly lower volume than the APC9 Pro. I liked the Smith VFG.

The trigger has long pre-travel, and then breaks around 9.5 pounds. For my wife and I, the trigger is a deal breaker, because it is twice the weight of our carry triggers. The weight makes it hard for us to transition back and forth between the TP9 and handgun, and precludes the fast shooting we can do with an APC9 Pro, SP5K or AR in .300 BLK.

Ballistically, 9mm out of the TP9 is the same as out of my EDC pistol. To justify the expense and complexity of carrying and deploying the TP9, it needs to allow me to shoot faster and more accurately than the pistol. The APC9 Pro does allow me to shooter faster and more accurately than my pistol, but I can shoot my pistol better than the TP9.

MegademiC
01-11-23, 18:46
Oops. Messed up subject title, unable to fix.

I understand suppressors decrease reliability in general. Blow-back guns run better but I don't know of any centerfire blow-back guns that can mount an RDS so one can aim well.

I'm thinking of an HD pistol with a muffler and RDS.

Nothing rare or $4k specialty/ custom guns.

G19.

Only issue was due to worn out springs or filth.

You do have to clean them regularly with supressed shooting.

Evvery couple hundred rounds, i spray the pistol out with gun scrubber. Keep the silencer piston greased and clean as well.

Also, no practical shift with my rev 9, tested out to 100yds with a g19

Ron3
01-11-23, 19:41
G19.

Only issue was due to worn out springs or filth.

You do have to clean them regularly with supressed shooting.

Evvery couple hundred rounds, i spray the pistol out with gun scrubber. Keep the silencer piston greased and clean as well.

Also, no practical shift with my rev 9, tested out to 100yds with a g19

No real shift is impressive.

I have a G3 G19.

Clint
01-11-23, 21:13
Apparently the short recoil rotating barrel action is not very suppressor friendly with the result being excessive cylic velocity and gassiness.

But that’s way into exotic and expensive, and I have no idea how shootable it is as a pistol.

Todd.K
01-11-23, 22:58
Apparently the short recoil rotating barrel action is not very suppressor friendly with the result being excessive cylic velocity and gassiness.

I was just curious about the recoil impulse vs tilt barrels and how different it may be. I expect the tilt barrel and LID function are the majority of the difference but I’m not spending B&T money to find out.

mark5pt56
01-12-23, 06:03
It may be me, but none of these have failed, even when new with a new suppressor(Rugged Obsidian 9) Glock 19/5, Glock 45, HK VP9T, HK USP45T and HK45T. The Sig X5 Carry took around 300 rounds before it would run and it's running by by at months end. No shift either. I have seen a couple other cans though wreak havoc on guns-I mean several inches at 7 yards!

Todd.K
01-13-23, 17:37

Apparently B&T agrees with this.

“This updated TP9 suppressor features Reduced Backpressure System (RBS) technology, significantly reducing the gas blow back to the shooter…”
https://bt-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/TP9-RBS-Sell-Sheet.pdf

01-13-23, 18:44
It really only needs to be reliable enough for you to figure out how bad suppressing a pistol is. Outside of fun or some operating operationally fantasy it totally messes with the recoil impulse and makes it hard to shoot fast and well.

Yeah, I don’t even want to know what my splits are using a can, though its still a weapon.

I recently found that swapping in a factory G23 spring fixed the functional weirdness that I was having with my G19 dedicated suppressor host.

RHINOWSO
01-13-23, 18:49
Shooting centerfire pistols suppressed sucks. I think I've done it 3 times..? First when I got the suppressor, then other times to show family members who asked to shoot them that way. As mentioned, performance / split times suck and the 'form factor' / size is ruined. Unable to carry / holster, no sling. You are stuck with holding it in the field. Did I mention it sucks?

I have threaded barrels for HK and Glocks, but I haven't used a suppressor on a centerfire pistol in nearly 10 years? They live on PCC rifles / SBRs.

Because if you want to shoot a pistol suppressed 'for fun', it needs to be quiet and fun to shoot. 22LR is the way when it comes to that, so rimfire pistol shooting is much more quiet, fun and cost effective.

Coal Dragger
01-13-23, 23:39
The most reliable is probably the HK MK23 since it’s the most tested handgun/suppressor system ever made to my knowledge. Of course it’s also huge and approaches the size of a sub machine gun, so it’s kind of pointless.

Titan74
01-14-23, 09:25
Sig P226 is an excellent suppressor host, noticeably quieter than a G19 with same 147gr subs. Steel frame P226SL is even better: balance with a suppressor is still akward, but compared to a standard alu framed P226, the additional mass at the frame of the SL really helps.

MegademiC
01-16-23, 09:33
Shooting centerfire pistols suppressed sucks. I think I've done it 3 times..? First when I got the suppressor, then other times to show family members who asked to shoot them that way. As mentioned, performance / split times suck and the 'form factor' / size is ruined. Unable to carry / holster, no sling. You are stuck with holding it in the field. Did I mention it sucks?

I have threaded barrels for HK and Glocks, but I haven't used a suppressor on a centerfire pistol in nearly 10 years? They live on PCC rifles / SBRs.

Because if you want to shoot a pistol suppressed 'for fun', it needs to be quiet and fun to shoot. 22LR is the way when it comes to that, so rimfire pistol shooting is much more quiet, fun and cost effective.

Holsters exist for most of them

Ron3
01-16-23, 13:37
I'll still put a can on one of my blow-back Beretta Cheetah's.

But it's also looking like I might be shooting the AP5P with a cap & sling on the back instead of a brace or stock.

Already have an MFI mount & optic on it.

Maybe I'll get an Omega 9K for it.