Russia or China?

SomeOtherGuy
01-11-23, 08:11
https://www.yahoo.com/news/flight-delays-us-faa-computer-113804140.html

Russia or China?

Diversity / ESG hiring?

Brandon, business as usual?

Iran?

Soros and his minions? (which includes "Extinction Rebellion", the most outrageous astroturf yet)

Some hacker/investor who shorted airline stocks and made a quick $100 million in day trading?

Pretty stupid that such a critical service doesn't have a continuously operating live backup.

SomeOtherGuy
01-11-23, 08:28
Btw, these were always "Notices to Airmen" until very recently. I hadn't known there was a PC / LGBTIA change until the news this morning, referring to "Notices to Air Missions." How the F__ do you notify an air mission?

Anyway, guess which "presidential" administration brought that change!!!

Notice of the change in, uh, notices:

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/7930.2S_Chg_2_dtd_12-2-21.pdf

Thanks Brandon! Turning old language into modernized gibberish is way better than actually keeping the system running!

Alex V
01-11-23, 08:44
I love a good conspiracy theory but why can't this be just a computer failure? Chances are the server is Windows based, and we all know Windows sucks, so...

Btw, these were always "Notices to Airmen" until very recently. I hadn't known there was a PC / LGBTIA change until the news this morning, referring to "Notices to Air Missions." How the F__ do you notify an air mission?

Anyway, guess which "presidential" administration brought that change!!!

Notice of the change in, uh, notices:

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/7930.2S_Chg_2_dtd_12-2-21.pdf

Thanks Brandon! Turning old language into modernized gibberish is way better than actually keeping the system running!

yeah, Im going to continue saying "Notice to Airman", just like I will continue writing "Master Bedroom" whenever I design a house, as infrequent as it may be.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-11-23, 08:51
I love a good conspiracy theory but why can't this be just a computer failure? Chances are the server is Windows based, and we all know Windows sucks, so...

yeah, Im going to continue saying "Notice to Airman", just like I will continue writing "Master Bedroom" whenever I design a house, as infrequent as it may be.

And bitchy flight attendants get "Stewerdress" and if they back talk on that, they get 'waitress'... had a buddy go all the way to "Air whore" once.

Flew last night, two hour delay, but an actual upgrade because they had moved anyone they cared about to other flights... Looks like I'll be flying 10 days this month- College visits with The Boy.

SomeOtherGuy
01-11-23, 09:17
FAA budget priorities under Brandon's "leadership":

https://twitter.com/johncardillo/status/1613164849277673480?cxt=HHwWkIC91cW4juMsAAAA

Alex V
01-11-23, 10:14
And bitchy flight attendants get "Stewerdress" and if they back talk on that, they get 'waitress'... had a buddy go all the way to "Air whore" once.

Flew last night, two hour delay, but an actual upgrade because they had moved anyone they cared about to other flights... Looks like I'll be flying 10 days this month- College visits with The Boy.

I had 32 flights in 2022. I think 2 or 3 were on time. Even with status and free upgrades, it still sucks.

The_War_Wagon
01-11-23, 22:34
One of many reasons I drive everywhere. If its cross-country, I'll take a train. If I can't get there by train, I don't need to go - & how is AOC's transAtlantic train coming along, btw?

HKGuns
01-11-23, 23:59
Word on the street it was a DNS issue. Most likely a blown change.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-12-23, 00:02
I had 32 flights in 2022. I think 2 or 3 were on time. Even with status and free upgrades, it still sucks.

Upgrades? I had two seats open next to me on about 30+ flights in the past two years. I've been traveling about 50% of time since 2000, even through the 911 and GFC in 2008, and only COVID stopped it. As I get back into it, it is different now that I know there is an option to actually not travel. Actually made United 1k for this year, but it seems everyone is, so the service isn't any different- though I do feel like I get taken care of better when things go sideways- but it might be because I know flight schedules better than most gate/desk agents.

Flying has changed so much in the past 20 years, and I know 2000 was way different than the 70-80, never mind the 60s.... I'd have a million miles on UA if I hadn't used Frontier for 5-6 years when I first moved to DEN and before they went complete crap. That was a good airline and crews.

I still don't get what happened today. It sure feels like a cyber attack to me.

john armond
01-12-23, 06:03

Just don't you dare say "field"

https://nypost.com/2023/01/11/usc-will-no-longer-use-the-word-field-over-racist-origin/

Alex V
01-12-23, 07:17
Upgrades? I had two seats open next to me on about 30+ flights in the past two years. I've been traveling about 50% of time since 2000, even through the 911 and GFC in 2008, and only COVID stopped it. As I get back into it, it is different now that I know there is an option to actually not travel. Actually made United 1k for this year, but it seems everyone is, so the service isn't any different- though I do feel like I get taken care of better when things go sideways- but it might be because I know flight schedules better than most gate/desk agents.

Flying has changed so much in the past 20 years, and I know 2000 was way different than the 70-80, never mind the 60s.... I'd have a million miles on UA if I hadn't used Frontier for 5-6 years when I first moved to DEN and before they went complete crap. That was a good airline and crews.

I still don't get what happened today. It sure feels like a cyber attack to me.

I'm not 1K but I get upgraded to First about 60% of the time. Honestly it doesn't matter since it all sucks and Im asleep before we even push back.

Flying does suck and having to use EWR a lot makes it even worse. EWR was the closest I came to being arrested for not wearing a mask lol.

Just don't you dare say "field"

https://nypost.com/2023/01/11/usc-will-no-longer-use-the-word-field-over-racist-origin/

In my best Eric Cartman voice "Whatever! I do what I want!"

henri
01-12-23, 09:12
This delayed my wifes flight for about two hours yesterday, which was nothing out of the ordinary in retrospect. The seven or so flights I've taken over the past few months were almost always on time or pretty close to it, always took the first morning flight out, so that may have been a factor. In addition, no winter destinations where weather would be a limiting factor.

Hush
01-12-23, 09:22
Give the Transportation Secretary a break, he was home breastfeeding.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Alex V
01-12-23, 09:35
Give the Transportation Secretary a break, he was home breastfeeding.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

it's chestfeeding now...

ViniVidivici
01-12-23, 10:09
Yeah flying has changed alot over the years.

I can remember flying with a pocket knife. Felt good having a tool of survival in the event of a crash or whatever.

**** this Eloi clown world.

01-12-23, 10:28
Yeah flying has changed alot over the years.

I can remember flying with a pocket knife. Felt good having a tool of survival in the event of a crash or whatever.

**** this Eloi clown world.

I still fly sometimes with pocketknives on commercial flights, but now its by accident. Hilariously, I actually had one get confiscated a few months ago because they were rechecking on arrival on an an international ride. Who knows how many trips that was in my bag.

prepare
01-12-23, 10:55
Are the TSA gestapo going to be masked forever now?

Averageman
01-13-23, 11:48
Pete Buttigieg is an failure as Transportation Secretary, I think he had the queer idea that he could sit home and phone this in and be ready to be nominated for POTUS.
I don't think in my 61 years that I have seen our infrastructure in such dismal shape, we are truly F'ed.

grnamin
01-13-23, 20:01
Word on the street it was a DNS issue. Most likely a blown change.Leave it to a .gov agency to have a single point of failure.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

HKGuns
01-13-23, 21:42
Leave it to a .gov agency to have a single point of failure.

I dealt with .GOV IT clowns during the Oh-Zero era when gubment cheese was pasteurizing.

EVERY - SINGLE - ONE - OF - THEM was a complete @ss clown who couldn’t find it with both hands.

If not for my many interactions with the F- B - I it would have been the most frightening and eye opening experience of my life.

It ain’t getting any better with all of the diversity crap.

Shit you not, I fired a manager who worked for me and was completely incompetent. You know, the kind that spends more time organizing his golf league than doing his job.

Six months later I get a meeting with some security agency doing a background check on this cat for a government job. They were going to give him a security clearance!

Having held an SCI clearance myself, my response was, you’re going to do what? I was asked to be “careful” in that conversation, but I flat out told them I wouldn’t trust him with the keys to my golf cart.

Guess what? He got the job and the clearance.

grnamin
01-13-23, 21:48
@HKGuns, that guy must have had a 5th degree black belt in brown-nosing.

HKGuns
01-13-23, 22:13
@HKGuns, that guy must have had a 5th degree black belt in brown-nosing.

It wasn’t just his belt that was black.

ETA: Firing anyone, let alone a black dude, ain’t easy in corporate America. I very nearly paid the price for that one.

But I’m sure he’ll draw a big fat pension for the rest of his life on our collective backs.