PDA

View Full Version : Three bodies recovered off Hawaii Med Flight

WillBrink
01-14-23, 14:42
Bad story. Buddy of mine was involved in the recovery, pulled off a different contract he was on and sent to help with that. No radio or warning they were going down, so they must have had some catastrophic failure and no time to report they were going down is my guess. Or, maybe the pilot had a heart attack? Lots of that going around these days... He said the bodies were "surprisingly well preserved."

Wreckage, crew members recovered from Hawaii Life Flight crash

HONOLULU (KITV4) -- The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) says it has recovered the Hawaii Life Flight aircraft, and its crew members, that went down off the coast of Maui in mid-December.

NTSB officials said they recovered the aircraft, all of the deceased flight crew, and the black box at a depth of about 6,420 feet, which was about 1,200 feet south of the last data point received from the plane.

The three people onboard the plane have been identified as pilot Brian Treptow, paramedic Gabriel Camacho, and flight nurse Courtney Parry.

The aircraft, C90A twin-engine, turbine-powered airplane, was spotted around 16 miles south of Hana by an airplane in flight at about 9:15 p.m. on Dec. 15 when it went down. It sank in an area known as the Maui Channel.

The search vessel MV Island Pride began a deep-water search for the wreckage on Jan. 8. Using side-scanning sonar and underwater drones, crews searched an area of about 54 square miles that ranged in depth from 4,500 to 7,500 feet, the NTSB said.

Searchers detected the pings coming from the black box on the early Monday morning. After developing a recovery plan, the plane and all crew members were recovered on Tuesday.

The wreckage was taken to a secure location in Hawaii where it will be examined further. The cockpit voice recorder, image recorder, and all other electronic components will be taken to the NTSB lab in Washington, officials said. The investigation into this incident is expected to take between 12 and 24 months to complete.

https://www.kitv.com/news/local/wreckage-crew-members-recovered-from-hawaii-life-flight-crash-update/article_98cd1cdc-91e8-11ed-97a5-07306e3dcc15.html

Harpoon
01-14-23, 16:37
Sounds like quite the operation. Kudos to the recovery team.

WillBrink
01-14-23, 16:57
Sounds like quite the operation. Kudos to the recovery team.

6000ft is no joke. They used remote ROV's he said.

chuckman
01-14-23, 18:02
I don't know any of the decedents, but I know someone who does. RIP, crew.