PDA

View Full Version : Why are SBRs regulated the US?

jsbhike
01-15-23, 08:53
Hadn't heard some of these. Figured Ian's video is better stand alone than embedded in other discussions for that reason.

https://youtu.be/lsE0naVApPU

prepare
01-15-23, 10:00
Because the government regulates everything. Good info in the video though.

Pappabear
01-15-23, 14:01
Because they have no pressing need to change something that in their view is good and not an issue. Old school mentality. Not a lot off gun laws change in favor 2A perspectives. SBR's and suppressor laws make no sense, background checks make perfect sense.

PB

Budget
01-15-23, 14:52
Michigan I believe led the way in 1922 and created county gun boards at the same time. This outlawed SBRs, SBS, and AOWs before those were federally a thing. The county gun boards got to decide who could and couldn't get a pistol. This effected minority communities the most. That's where NFA essentially started as I recall. It is all rooted squarely in racism.

"For the greater good" while stripping freedoms has stood the test of time.

ap1220
01-15-23, 16:59
And now...its become entirely a revenue stream since the popularity has risen on NFA ownership, can't let that go so easily. The estimated 40 million braces lose them 8 billion dollars alone. While that doesn't sound like a lot, that's a lot of Gov money that .gov wants.

SteyrAUG
01-15-23, 17:43
I love Ian's videos.

Almost nobody knows they tried to put all handguns on the 1934 NFA.

jsbhike
01-15-23, 18:05
I love Ian's videos.

Almost nobody knows they tried to put all handguns on the 1934 NFA.

That one I knew.

The part about rifles being 18" till the rimfire 16" and M1 carbine/DCM/centerfire 16" changes were new ones on me.

Seems like 14" and maybe 12" were fairly common rimfire and lever gun lengths prior to 1934.

OutofBatt3ry
01-15-23, 22:06
Nm....

SteyrAUG
01-15-23, 23:05
That one I knew.

The part about rifles being 18" till the rimfire 16" and M1 carbine/DCM/centerfire 16" changes were new ones on me.

Seems like 14" and maybe 12" were fairly common rimfire and lever gun lengths prior to 1934.

That change was also new to me, I usually learn at least one thing from Ian's videos. Also always wondered why shotguns were 18" and rifles were 16", seemed almost backwards.

Can you imagine a world where they successfully made all handguns NFA weapons?

Another consequence of NFA combined with the 1968 GCA, all foreign made SBRs and suppressors imported AFTER 1968 are technically "pre sample machine guns" even though they are in no way select fire. So a B&T MP5 suppressor that is not final assembled in the US is technically a "machine gun" by ATF definitions and can only be purchased by a FFL / SOT.

This is also why you don't see any factory original SBR imports to the US. All foreign SBRs have to begin life as 16" min. barrel carbines or pistols.

Krazykarl
01-16-23, 07:21
Thank you long haired hippy looking gun guy. I just learned something new.

AndyLate
01-16-23, 10:24
Thank you long haired hippy looking gun guy. I just learned something new.

Ian's Forgotten Weapons channel is worth checking out, especially for the eclectic stuff he covers.

Andy

Krazykarl
01-16-23, 10:36
I have always enjoyed Ian's videos. The change in scenery from an auction house to his Jordan Peterson-like library with leisure robe donned was different. The fact that he is filming presumably from his residence highlights the importance/urgency of his message.

sgtrock82
01-16-23, 10:41
I have always enjoyed Ian's videos. The change in scenery from an auction house to his Jordan Peterson-like library with leisure robe donned was different. The fact that he is filming presumably from his residence highlights the importance/urgency of his message.He records in that setting all the time

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
01-16-23, 10:45
Ian's Forgotten Weapons channel is worth checking out, especially for the eclectic stuff he covers.

Andy

Yep, in my opinion he has one of the best, most consistently error free channels in the history of the internet.

jsbhike
01-16-23, 12:13
He records in that setting all the time

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

Yep, it's not really a globe. Lol

HKGuns
01-16-23, 12:55
Why? Its simple, we have too much Government and all they do is continue to create new rules and laws. How much longer can that continue? How many laws or "rules" does anyone recall going away?

titsonritz
01-16-23, 13:02
Why? Because the people have forgotten the constitution is suppose to limit government not the other way around.

jsbhike
01-16-23, 13:42
Any anti firearms law is a violation of the 2nd Amendment.

The video is not trying to justify or rationalize any anti 2A laws, quite the opposite.

SteyrAUG
01-16-23, 16:39
Any anti firearms law is a violation of the 2nd Amendment.

The video is not trying to justify or rationalize any anti 2A laws, quite the opposite.

Some people are just too lazy to watch "gun jesus" and learn something.