PDA

View Full Version : Beretta's new "92XI SAO"

Slater
01-15-23, 10:12
Beretta is definitely getting some mileage out of the 92 series:

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/92xi-sao/

Corse
01-15-23, 10:48
I’m interested in this. Also the new cheetah.

GNXII
01-15-23, 12:20
This looks good! Beretta has and has had a lot of different 92 variants they’ve yet to import to the US or manufacture here. I recall SAO 92 series in available in Euro Gun stores etc for quite awhile! Another choice at the LGS is always a good thing!

Slater
01-15-23, 12:23
Maybe they'll bring back the 90Two :D

WillieThom
01-15-23, 13:40
I’m interested in this. Also the new cheetah.

I was not aware.

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/80x-cheetah/

That’s slick

Bret
01-15-23, 13:43
"The 92XI brings the long-awaited frame mounted safety to the standard 92 family of products". Well, it's about time. If they would have done that 30 years ago, CZ and others wouldn't have gained near as much market share. Better late than never.

Pappabear
01-15-23, 13:54
They are trying to bring this gun to the new era of SAO guns. Gotta give them credit for those 92 collectors that will grab one up to complete their collection. I have the old version 92 and the new M9A4, gotta draw the line there but have never faulted a man for buying a gun that makes them smile. Enjoy fellas.

PB

GNXII
01-15-23, 14:13
I was not aware.

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/80x-cheetah/

That’s slick
That’s sweet!

Ron3
01-15-23, 14:47
IÂ’m interested in this. Also the new cheetah.

OMG!

I can't believe my favorite carry gun that came out in 1976 got updated!!!

A blow-back with a slide-mounted optic? I don't think that has been done before.

I'm sure this will use the same mags and barrels as the legacy versions. Which means it will shoot .32, too.

I will absolutely buy one or two of these. I already have several. Need one in INOX!

One downside...unless someone makes tall sights or comes out with a lower optic design the sights will be too low to see with an optic mounted just like the 92X RDO i have.

When I carry a Cheetah it's loaded with the Underwood Lehigh 68 gr load. It chronographed over 1400 fps from my 81FS.

Accuracy from my legacy models has been limited due to the small sights. They make it about a 20 yd gun. The 80X should fix this!

Bret
01-15-23, 16:24
I'm sure this will use the same mags and barrels as the legacy versions. Which means it will shoot .32, too.
Wouldn't it require a new slide? Isn't the breech face different for 380ACP vs 32ACP? I have 32ACP guns but no 380ACP guns to compare them against.

Renegade04
01-15-23, 16:37
I would like to get the Launch Edition.

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/92xi-sao-launch-edition/

01-15-23, 17:34
A blow-back with a slide-mounted optic? I don't think that has been done before.

That should be interesting. I had my Cheetah retrofitted with Triji Hd style sights, and the front sight launched the tritium vial within like 2k rounds.

Wouldn't it require a new slide? Isn't the breech face different for 380ACP vs 32ACP? I have 32ACP guns but no 380ACP guns to compare them against.

I’ve been told that with the original Cheetah, its only a barrel change. I don’t know if thats true or not…been meaning to find out as soon as I can get my hands on a threaded .32 barrel.

jesuvuah
01-15-23, 17:42
Very nice. That being said, I am very happy with my 92x RDO centurion in a g configuration

Soli Deo Gloria

Ron3
01-15-23, 20:14
That should be interesting. I had my Cheetah retrofitted with Triji Hd style sights, and the front sight launched the tritium vial within like 2k rounds.

I’ve been told that with the original Cheetah, its only a barrel change. I don’t know if thats true or not…been meaning to find out as soon as I can get my hands on a threaded .32 barrel.

I have several Cheetahs.

The barrels are all the same except for being .32 or .380.

All it takes is the barrel swap (part of the field strip process) and magazine swap and you are shooting the other caliber. This applies to all 81-85 with no suffix, B, BB, F, and FS.

One exception is the single stack 82 and 85's. They share a magazine. It holds 8 .380 or 9 .32.

There are differences amongst recoil springs, guide rods, and slide stops.

But ALL 81-85 .32 / .380 guns share breech face, ejectors, and extractors.

Sometimes a barrel will have a feed ramp that doesn't well match the ramp on a frame and a little filling can improve the match.

I have and shoot both calibers from my Cheetahs.

I'm also on the waiting list for a threaded .32 barrel.

Bret
01-15-23, 20:17
I'm also on the waiting list for a threaded .32 barrel.
How do I get on that waiting list? Please PM me if you don't want to disclose it publicly.

Ron3
01-15-23, 20:37
How do I get on that waiting list? Please PM me if you don't want to disclose it publicly.

I talked to Josh over the phone and later received this email.

I say go ahead & call or send an email. The more people who want one the faster they'll make them up.

My guess is they are using new barrels purchased from Midwest Industries. (New old Beretta stock)

The following is the email:

"We currently have these barrels on the production schedule and do have a significant backorder on them. I have added you to our notification list and you will receive an email as soon as they are available. At this point, our machine shop is considerably backlogged with other production items and we are working to get these out as quickly as possible with an expected manufacturing timeframe of February/March. We are sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

Josh Rowe, Gunsmith

Allegheny Arms & Gun Works

p 412.409.2925

f 412.595.8689

www.alleghenyarms.com"

Straight Shooter
01-15-23, 20:39
Somebody will STILL bitch about some aspect of it.
The 92/M9 are excellent weapons and always have been. The shit people have complained about on them has always baffled me.
Yes..this looks nice too.

01-16-23, 09:33
I talked to Josh over the phone and later received this email.

I say go ahead & call or send an email. The more people who want one the faster they'll make them up.

My guess is they are using new barrels purchased from Midwest Industries. (New old Beretta stock)

The following is the email:

"We currently have these barrels on the production schedule and do have a significant backorder on them. I have added you to our notification list and you will receive an email as soon as they are available. At this point, our machine shop is considerably backlogged with other production items and we are working to get these out as quickly as possible with an expected manufacturing timeframe of February/March. We are sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

Josh Rowe, Gunsmith

Allegheny Arms & Gun Works

p 412.409.2925

f 412.595.8689

www.alleghenyarms.com"

Seriously? I was on that waiting list for like a year, pre-Covid, then they said it was about to happen, then it didn’t happen, and I called them this year they were like “we don’t do that anymore, and the website hasn’t been updated yet”.

Bret
01-16-23, 10:09
Now that I remember, I was on that waiting list too. I can look back through my emails, but I think it was three or so years ago. I don't remember what the price was, but I do remember thinking that it was high.

Ron3
01-16-23, 13:34
Now that I remember, I was on that waiting list too. I can look back through my emails, but I think it was three or so years ago. I don't remember what the price was, but I do remember thinking that it was high.

Hmm...well if that's the case perhaps I should find someone who can extend & thread the barrels I already have.

Bret
01-16-23, 16:25
I took a look back through my emails and found one that I received on 12-10-21, so not as far back as I had guessed. It was a status update, so my request was at some point prior.

"As its been some time since our last production run of our 80 series barrels, I wanted to give everyone some insight on the situation. In late 2016 a machinist friend and I decided these barrels would be a good project and agreed to work together to reverse-engineer and reproduce the OEM Beretta part. We split the design and manufacturing work between our shops and over the next few years we were able to work together to produce several runs of these with a modest but ever-increasing demand.

In 2019 he got a very lucrative, but time intensive contract to produce a small part allowing him to temporarily shelf all of his other clients including us. I was continually re-assured over the intervening time that the barrels would be made even as he broke deadline after deadline, increased his quoted price, and even asked me to increase my order to make the set-up etc. more worth his time. I agreed to every condition but have still received nothing.

In the end, Allegheny Arms is heavily invested in this project both financially and by reputation and we fully intend to get these made. We work with numerous machine shops on various projects and while several have expressed interest in taking it on, until we are able to rectify the situation with our former partner, we are simply unable to give a timeline for their completion. As you can see, we have maintained the list of interested parties and once we are able to move forward we will notify everyone of our progress.

With that in mind, we completely respect anyone’s decision if they were to choose to pursue a different route rather than continue to wait on these. If you are no longer interested in remaining on our notification list please reply to this email with a simple “STOP” and you’ll be removed. If you’d like to remain on the list, no action or reply is necessary.

As a personal aside as a gun guy I completely understand how prevalent “vaporware” is in our industry. As hard as I’ve been working to avoid the label, I also understand how frustrating it is to have a product promised without timely delivery and genuinely thank you for your patience."

So it looks to me like he's trying, but is pretty dependent on others as he can't make the barrels himself. Perhaps now that things have slowed down in the gun industry some capacity will free up for making these barrels. Beretta could easily make them, but you can't give money to Beretta sometimes.

jsbhike
01-18-23, 17:02
"The 92XI brings the long-awaited frame mounted safety to the standard 92 family of products".

Is the word "standard" the twist to differentiate this from a brigadier or centurion slide? Pretty sure I can recall seeing frame mounted cocked and locked 92 variants back to the 1990s and Google shows a Brigadier slide that seems to have a similar safety showing up on their site in 2021.

Spiffums
01-24-23, 12:35
"The 92XI brings the long-awaited frame mounted safety to the standard 92 family of products". Well, it's about time. If they would have done that 30 years ago, CZ and others wouldn't have gained near as much market share. Better late than never.

Back in 1990 when I got my 1st handgun it's what made me pick the Taurus PT-99 over the Beretta. Sure I was young and dumb but that gun served me very well and I shot the snot out of it. Started the gun games with it and it hung on my bedpost in a shoulder holster for years. She's still in the safe to this day along with the 40 version with the funky decocker than I never really liked.

Bret
01-24-23, 12:56
I have a Taurus PT-92 and about 10 Beretta 92 variants. The Taurus is more accurate than all but one Beretta. Those two are on par with each other.

01-24-23, 13:39
I know a dude that competes with a Taurus 92 in club matches, for the memes. He wins an awful lot.

Renegade04
01-30-23, 11:39
This morning, I placed an order for the new 92XI Launch Edition with EuroOptic. Now, the wait starts as Beretta is to start shipping these out in February.

Bret
01-30-23, 11:48
Were they in stock at the time or did they allow you to order even though it shows out being out of stock?

Renegade04
01-30-23, 12:09
Were they in stock at the time or did they allow you to order even though it shows out being out of stock?

They have not come into stock as yet, but they are allowing backorders. Beretta is not shipping these out until February, so no one has them in stock as of yet.

Pappabear
02-07-23, 17:44
They just keep breathing life into this product line. Or product extension I should say.

PB

Renegade04
03-04-23, 14:16
I finally picked up my Launch Edition this morning.

https://i.imgur.com/PNRlqlT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WSdEPcq.jpg

Slater
03-04-23, 21:17
You wonder how many more 92 variants Beretta can come up with.

prdubi
03-05-23, 07:14
Conical bushing edition and NM edition.

Also lastly the 92 Combat reintroduction.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

03-05-23, 08:46
You wonder how many more 92 variants Beretta can come up with.

A steel frame DA/SA LTT gun with M9A1 backstrap, optics ready. And a companion SAO model with a threaded barrel and optics ready Brig slide in .357Sig.