PDA

View Full Version : Which Rail?

e z money
01-15-23, 16:11
My rifle is a LMT 16" upper with KAC RAS, on a BCM lower. I want a free floated barrel with m-lok rail. I am considering cutting the A2 front sight down and getting either a BCM or Geissele 13.5" rail. I have a couple of questions I am hoping you guys can help me with. If I cut down the front sight, will it fit inside those rails? Also the BCM has a lower price. Are the Geissele rails that much better? I am leaning towards the BCM because of the price. Thank you in advance for any advice.
[URL="https://i.imgur.com/KEYOkhG.jpg"]

prepare
01-15-23, 16:22
I would not alter that upper.

Save up and build another upper with the free float rail if you want it that bad.

Kyle Defoor gets excellent groups with his BCM

The G rail is more rigid. That might be important if your mounting IR but that doesn’t mean the BCM rail isn’t rigid enough.

e z money
01-15-23, 16:37

Save up and build another upper with the free float rail if you want it that bad.

The G rail is more rigid. That might be important if your mounting IR but that doesn’t mean the BCM rail isn’t rigid enough.

I like that idea. Maybe I will buy the rail now, then later when I have the money buy a barrel and upper receiver.

grizzman
01-15-23, 16:39
I agree with Prepare.

I've got a few BCM KeyMod handguards, and they work fine. I've got a couple Gelsseles, and while they're certainly more rigid they also weigh more.

HKGuns
01-15-23, 17:02
I'm with prepare as well and wouldn't cut it. If you really want MLOK on the FSB barrel there are a number of good alternatives that allow the FSB to remain in place.

Building another rifle is also a great idea.

To answer your original question, yeah, it will fit but the other options are better.

OutofBatt3ry
01-15-23, 17:07

FPNI, build an upper, or even better, build a new gun. = )

I'm partial to G rails but they are pricy.

01-15-23, 17:42
Centurion FSB cutout rails are an option. Otherwise, the above advice with a G Mk8, KAC URX4, or Larue LAT is the answer.

JediGuy
01-15-23, 19:43
https://midwestindustriesinc.com/two-piece-ar15-free-float-m-lok-handguard/

OutofBatt3ry
01-15-23, 20:46
too add, op...even twice divorced, it's still more cost effective to build a new gun. Don't cut FSB's.

DoubleW
01-16-23, 07:25
Just wait until the next holiday sale somewhere and buy a new upper. But yes, G rails will fit shaved FSB’s.

markm
01-16-23, 07:39

Agreed!!!

Don't cut FSB's.

It's should be the 8th deadly sin!

01-16-23, 08:10
I don’t understand why everyone is against cutting the FSB??

It makes the best low pro gas block and you get rid of the FSB. Win-win.

I’ve worked with a lot of BCM and G rails. I like the Geisseles a lot more because they’re just easier to install and remove.

All of my ARs have shaved FSBs and 13.5” Geissele MK14s.

studenygreg
01-16-23, 09:07
https://midwestindustriesinc.com/two-piece-ar15-free-float-m-lok-handguard/I have one of these and like it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

e z money
01-16-23, 13:52
I don’t understand why everyone is against cutting the FSB??

It makes the best low pro gas block and you get rid of the FSB. Win-win.

I’ve worked with a lot of BCM and G rails. I like the Geisseles a lot more because they’re just easier to install and remove.

All of my ARs have shaved FSBs and 13.5” Geissele MK14s.
That's what I was thinking. It seems like it would make for a solid gas block and I already know it fits and functions flawlessly. Actually the only reason I don't want to cut it off, is because with the KAC RAS, SF 951, and Aimpoint it is GWOT inspired. It's not a clone but reminds me of the rifles I used in the Army. I did 3 deployments to Iraq. I think I will just build another rifle with a Geissele rail, but if I could afford it and find one right now, I would get another new LMT barreled upper with a A2 front sight and cut it off.

Johnny Rico
01-16-23, 14:31
I am fairly rail-agnostic. I don't have a preference, and as long as the rail is made by a trusted brand, I can deal with it.

Keep an eye on the EE. There are so many ARs in the wild, and so many people have multiples, that deals are there to be had, usually with negligible round counts.

hotbiggun42
01-16-23, 14:51
A shaved fsb makes for a good solid gas block. I like the Gieselle rail because color.

veeklog
01-16-23, 22:16
I have both BCM MCMR and Geissele Rails (MK-8 and MK-14) and although I like them equally, I still prefer the KAC rail on a 14.5” M-4 upper. You have to at least have one clone. I would get another upper and build it out the way you want. I you cannot go wrong with either the BCM or Geissele

OutofBatt3ry
01-16-23, 22:38
nm..too rambunctious for tech. stop chopping FSB's...imho.

markm
01-17-23, 07:52
nm..too rambunctious for tech. stop chopping FSB's...imho.

Agreed. Turning a GREAT FSB into a good lo pro is repulsive to me.

01-17-23, 09:54
What’s so great about a FSP?

They’re in the way and are nothing more than a back-up that will never be used outside of training and not much then.

These guns aren’t valuable/collectible/heirloom items.

grizzman
01-17-23, 10:58
What’s so great about a FSP?

They’re in the way and are nothing more than a back-up that will never be used outside of training and not much then.

These guns aren’t valuable/collectible/heirloom items.

That may be your preference for an AR sighting system, but there are others that actually use (and prefer) irons.

I have several ARs that only have irons, and don’t expect that to ever change. A forged fixed FSB is certainly the most durable front sight option, and to a lot of users….that’s what matters most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markm
01-17-23, 11:13
I have several ARs that only have irons, and don’t expect that to ever change. A forged fixed FSB is certainly the most durable front sight option, and to a lot of users….that’s what matters most.

Absolutely. All that glorious forging wasted. Almost all of my RDS and ACOG sight guns still have a real FSB. I have a few lo pros, but those are toys/target shooting carbines.