PDA

View Full Version : Shave FSB or Low Profile Gas Block?

Five O'Glock
12-26-08, 19:24
Hello, I just bought a Colt 6400C. It has been at my local gun shop for a couple of years and no one has been interested in it, even after the election. I know it isn't the best configuration, but since Colt's are hard to find right now and I plan on customizing it anyway, I figured it was a good buy.

I plan on replacing the fixed stock and getting the barrel cut, threaded and having a Vortex permanently installed.

I also want to get a free float rail put on it. My question is, is there any reason not to have the FSB cut down to fit under a rail instead of getting a low profile gas block? I plan on getting a rail that will cover it either way.

Also, which rail system would you suggest with a continuous top rail? Which would be the easiest for me to install? Which one is the most solid?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Seth Harness
12-26-08, 20:34
My vote would be for a Troy Ind. rail, I dont have experience with any other. You'll get alot of opinions here, but thats the one I know and like.

I say bob the FSB yourself, easy to do and if you screw it up, you've got nothing to loose, you were going to buy one anyway. Unless you think your going to want it later.
Have fun,
See ya.

usp_fan
12-26-08, 22:52
I just shaved my FSB and it was easy. I'd say go for it. You are assured the gas port is lined up and the taper pins are reamed correctly this way.

--usp_fan

militarymoron
12-27-08, 00:08
if you shave your FSB and don't want to remove it for the rail installation, and want a continuous top rail (vs. continuous look), then the new Vltor CASV-S is an option you can look at. it's one of the easiest rails to install. main difference between the CASV series and others is that the top rail is higher than the receiver, which means you need a lower profile mount for the optic.
the CASV-M is a midlength which will cover your carbine-length gas block but needs a proprietary front sight. the CASV-S is a new midlength model with bi-level rail so you can use any folding front sight in conjunction with your rear. the CASVs are solid.

caporider
12-27-08, 09:41
I just shaved my FSB and it was easy. I'd say go for it. You are assured the gas port is lined up and the taper pins are reamed correctly this way.

--usp_fan

IMHO this is the way to go. I had Adco Firearms do my FSBs - they did a great job and even managed to fit them under Larue handguards.

http://www.visuality.com/personal/556/556sbr_litemount.jpg