PDA

View Full Version : Australian firm NIOA acquires Barrett Firearms

Slater
01-16-23, 14:47
I'm guessing that this is not a bad thing?

"Australian defense contractor NIOA has expanded its global reach with the 100 percent acquisition of the industry-leading rifle design and manufacturing company, Barrett Firearms.

In announcing the deal, NIOA Group CEO Robert Nioa said the two family-owned companies came together out of a shared commitment to quality, innovation, loyalty, and mission."

https://barrett.net/2023/01/16/nioa-acquires-us-manufacturer-barrett-firearms/

Alex V
01-16-23, 15:01
I'm guessing that this is not a bad thing?

"Australian defense contractor NIOA has expanded its global reach with the 100 percent acquisition of the industry-leading rifle design and manufacturing company, Barrett Firearms.

In announcing the deal, NIOA Group CEO Robert Nioa said the two family-owned companies came together out of a shared commitment to quality, innovation, loyalty, and mission."

https://barrett.net/2023/01/16/nioa-acquires-us-manufacturer-barrett-firearms/

I dont know if I would be happy with Anti-Gun Australians buying Barrett. I can very much so see NIOA ending civilian sales of 50s

BrigandTwoFour
01-16-23, 15:26
I guess I won't feel so bad about not being able to afford an MRAD, lol. I kept bouncing back and forth between it and others, and the fact that it was an all American Barrett was weighing heavily.

titsonritz
01-16-23, 16:19
I dont know if I would be happy with Anti-Gun Australians buying Barrett. I can very much so see NIOA ending civilian sales of 50s

So I guess they'll start selling/servicing guns to CA Gov/LE again.

Alex V
01-16-23, 18:18
So I guess they'll start selling/servicing guns to CA Gov/LE again.

My guess is they will.

Adrenaline_6
01-17-23, 10:15
If they do cut off civilians, that will just allow another willing manufacturer to venture into 50's and take their business. I would guess DD, Sig or Geissele would be happy to fill the role.

Coal Dragger
01-17-23, 12:26
A bit of research leads me to believe Nioa isn’t cutting civilians sales off anytime soon. They caused a stink in Australia importing shotguns the government didn’t like because they met the letter of the law but managed to be “too powerful” or some shit.

Diamondback
01-17-23, 13:03
Here's hoping Ronnie or his heirs put a Restricting Covenant into the sale, like the one Harley-Davidson had about requiring certain things stay made-in-USA which when broken invalidated the sale.

SteyrAUG
01-17-23, 17:42

I would also worry about quality concessions, Australia is famous for crap grade firearms. The F88 was Steyr contract but they are pretty crappy.

Buncheong
01-18-23, 01:06
Why did Barrett sell?

SteyrAUG
01-18-23, 01:49
Why did Barrett sell?

I would imagine surplus .50 ball finally running out (in part due to Clinton prohibition on US military surplus ammo being sold in the private market) meant only the expensive loads were available.

I used to think $2 a round was high. When I started paying $5 a round I decided to sell off all of my .50 rifles and ammo.

Buncheong
01-18-23, 02:32
I would imagine surplus .50 ball finally running out (in part due to Clinton prohibition on US military surplus ammo being sold in the private market) meant only the expensive loads were available.

I used to think $2 a round was high. When I started paying $5 a round I decided to sell off all of my .50 rifles and ammo.

I wonder if this pattern will follow with smaller calibers over time - 7.62 NATO, 5.56, et al - until shooting sports are exclusively a rich man's hobby.