PDA

View Full Version : Questionable gas block pin

AAMP84
01-17-23, 00:18
I just bought a barrel off the EE over on TOS, and they appear to have drilled to low on the gas block for pinning. I'm not worried about the barrel because the pin is so shallow into the barrel material, but should I replace the gas block and have the pin redone when it arrives?

https://imgur.com/a/I850xWQ

GH41
01-17-23, 04:22
I wouldn't.

markm
01-17-23, 07:50
I wouldn't.

Same. I would't pin a low pro gas block at all, but I'd definitely dimple and set screw it.

HKGuns
01-17-23, 09:09
Nope. Just shoot it.

AndyLate
01-18-23, 06:41
Judging from the pics, there is plenty of pin in the barrel. It really does not take much and this is not a case of more is better. HK is spot on - just shoot it.

Andy

markm
01-18-23, 09:48
Judging from the pics, there is plenty of pin in the barrel. It really does not take much and this is not a case of more is better. HK is spot on - just shoot it.

Andy

Agree. Less it more according to the barrel manufacturers. WOA claims aggressive pinning messes up barrel harmonics.

26 Inf
01-18-23, 23:44
Agree. Less it more according to the barrel manufacturers. WOA claims aggressive pinning messes up barrel harmonics.

I've used the Geissele Super Gas Blocks in carbon steel from ALG on most of my builds. I've always done the 'bomb proof' installation process using the supplied coil pin. Having said that, I can see White Oak's point. OTOH, what does pressing the barrel up against the top of the gas block in two places with the set screws do to barrel harmonics?

Stickman
01-20-23, 10:34

More margin for error the deeper it gets, that makes sense to me.

titsonritz
01-20-23, 12:46

I would think a LW barrel would have more of an issue, especially those with a .625" gas journal.

titsonritz
01-20-23, 12:47

I would think a LW barrel would have more of an issue, especially those with a .625" gas journal.