PDA

View Full Version : Do gen 5 Glock .40's get the new slide cut to curtail BTF?

Ron3
01-17-23, 22:53
The new cut on some gen 5 9x19 slide faces seems to have helped curtail brass to face from Glocks.

But is it just the cut or is another gen 5 change aiding proper ejection?

My main question though is: Did the Glock 23 gen 5 get these improvements?

markm
01-18-23, 08:03
The new cut on some gen 5 9x19 slide faces seems to have helped curtail brass to face from Glocks.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm sick every time I think about how Glock Fux0red up the 9mm pistol. I got my kid a G17x or whatever that tan thing is called. It still does the brass to face bullsh1t every so often.

It's like they hired an American Mediocrity Engineering team to fukk up a good thing.

MegademiC
01-18-23, 10:13

I didnt think that was ever an issue with the 40s. Was it?

markm
01-18-23, 10:49
I didnt think that was ever an issue with the 40s. Was it?

I hadn't heard it was. But definitely experienced it with a few 9mms. I mean... how can you even get the brass to hit me on the left side of my head??? Did they hire the space shuttle O-ring design retards???

Ron3
01-18-23, 11:37
I had a new g4 G30 .45 (as in, MOST casings went into my face. Some went went right, some LEFT, some landed on my head or on the gun) and a G39 .45 gap that was almost as bad.

I've owned / shot G27's that did it, too. Several 9x19's of course. G3 & G4.

Had a G4 G32 .357 that only rarely hit me.

My circa 2006-2009 G3 G19 doesn't unless I use Blazer. I'd get duds (or light strikes?) With Blazer and Wolf sometimes so I don't buy that crap anymore.

Had a G29sf 10mm that got a few of those fired-case-lengthwise in the action jams. Dealer took it back.

But I digress...

I've read good things about Gen 5 ejection and was wondering if the .40's got the improvements, too.

Ron3
01-18-23, 11:40
The only guns I know of with worse ejection than Glocks are my Beretta .25's

They have NO extractor so they are excused. Tiny cases helps, too.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-18-23, 22:08
For years I would shoot Glocks for a while and then just sell them because they had such pathetic ejection. Glockers would flat-out deny it happened or blamed you for not standing with your but cheeks squeezed correctly. If one thing came out of the army trials they apparently shamed Glock into finally addressing the issues. For a while I had no idea what had changed. Of course, a lot of stuff changed in the action between the 4 and 5th gens but whatever it was it totally worked. I haven't had BTF in a very long time and now I have a crapload of Gen 5 Glocks.

pinzgauer
01-19-23, 10:55
I've had too many very knowledgeable gun store owners acknowledge that BTF was a real issue with the Gen 4 19s and similar.

But it seems to have been addressed, shot my daughter-in-law's 19x and thought it was a very nice shooting pistol. Though I'm a Walther p99/ppq guy still.

Ron3
01-19-23, 13:57
I've read a fix for Glock BTF is to lower / alter the ejection port.

Who offers this service?

Any pictures of a successful alteration that fixed the problem?

Biggy
01-19-23, 15:58
I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm sick every time I think about how Glock Fux0red up the 9mm pistol. I got my kid a G17x or whatever that tan thing is called. It still does the brass to face bullsh1t every so often.

It's like they hired an American Mediocrity Engineering team to fukk up a good thing.

Glock perfection , yeah they are getting closer every year. LOL !!

01-19-23, 17:18
I've read a fix for Glock BTF is to lower / alter the ejection port.

Who offers this service?

Any pictures of a successful alteration that fixed the problem?

That didn’t really work out. Apex tried it.

The problem is way the extractor is. Long story short, it lets go of the case before it get to the ejector and it bounces off the top round of the magazine.

The new breachface notch is part of altered breechface geometry and basically acts like another extractor.

Sidneyious
01-20-23, 03:53
Ive never got brass in my face with my gen 4 or 5, friends that shot them also never got brass in the face.

I have had one time where brass went down the back of my shirt but thats because the case bounced off the range wall and magically went down my shirt.

This brass to face is a new concept to me because ive never heard of such a thing.

01-20-23, 07:54
Ive never got brass in my face with my gen 4 or 5, friends that shot them also never got brass in the face.

I have had one time where brass went down the back of my shirt but thats because the case bounced off the range wall and magically went down my shirt.

This brass to face is a new concept to me because ive never heard of such a thing.

It plagued Glocks for over ten years and was near impossible to fix. If you’ve never seen it, you haven’t been around much.

Ron3
01-20-23, 08:30
Glock perfection , yeah they are getting closer every year. LOL !!

"Perfection" is a journey, not a destination. :rolleyes:

Sidneyious
01-20-23, 09:01
It plagued Glocks for over ten years and was near impossible to fix. If you’ve never seen it, you haven’t been around much.
I e owned Glocks for about 10 years now so I'm not new to Glocks.

This term is new to me.

01-20-23, 09:08

At least with the 19s, I think it was worse with Gen 3 than Gen 4, and not every gun seems to be affected, or maybe as one of us suggested, it has something to do with the user’s glute tone, or maybe ammo, or witches, or planetary alignment. So some people will have never experienced it, but maybe read about it on the internet, where it seems to be endemic.

A friend of mine’s been shooting a 19.3 for a long time and has a good bit of ammo through it, and denies BTF. It was his only pistol for like 15 years. I’ve borrowed it for a match, and no BTF. But I HAVE had BTF in other Gen 3s. I’ve owned I think 4 19.4s….no BTF. Although I did catch a RMR with my forehead once. G26.4 with no BTF, although it never got shot much. I’ve got a couple 19.5s, no BTF. G22.5, only shot a case or two, but no BTF.

I acknowledge that it has been a problem, for a long time. I don’t know what causes it, or what Glock has done to address it, but it seems to affect some more than others, and seems to be becoming less common. It would be an obnoxious problem to have. It doesn’t seem to be a big problem in the SOF community; no one talks about it.

01-20-23, 09:22
I e owned Glocks for about 10 years now so I'm not new to Glocks.

This term is new to me.

You might not be new to your Glocks, but poor extraction that causes poor/inconsistent ejection has been a problem Glock has had from day one until 2018 when they modified the breechface on the first G45s.

Biggy
01-20-23, 10:23
"Perfection" is a journey, not a destination. :rolleyes:

And that journey can be a very frustrating, time consuming and costly at times. 😩

Ron3
01-20-23, 11:51
And that journey can be a very frustrating, time consuming and costly at times. ��

I know first hand.

Sidneyious
01-20-23, 13:59
You might not be new to your Glocks, but poor extraction that causes poor/inconsistent ejection has been a problem Glock has had from day one until 2018 when they modified the breechface on the first G45s.

well in the past 10 years ive never had brass to face with my glocks so **** if I know, also its a g19.4 and its 10 years old

mizer67
01-20-23, 18:31
well in the past 10 years ive never had brass to face with my glocks so **** if I know, also its a g19.4 and its 10 years old

I played the brass to the face game since the first Gen 4's were released circa ~2009, which is when I started shooting them.

By 2012 - 2013 the problem was (mostly) already fixed. You could still get a bad copy, but usually could also find a solution. Usually.

Ron3
01-21-23, 09:20
Some time at the gliktalk forum cleared the idea of buying a non-G5 Glock with supplemental extractor groove unless I can fire it first.

Such headaches. Some guys got it worked out, eventually, but most do not.

I was right about one thing; an optic will protect your face. You know brass to optic is occurring when you see brass go FORWARD and your optic looks battered / damaged.

26 Inf
01-21-23, 22:51

Well, I spent most of my adult life as one of the firearms instructors at our states law enforcement training center and I want to tell you that the internet was my first inkling of brass to face issues specific to Glocks.

I've seen folks shooting multiple brands experience BTF. In those cases, our response was coaching the fundamentals.

I will admit, though, that student officer's firearm were inspected and armorer service performed before they would hit the range. In the case of Glocks, that meant the upgrade kits were installed.

But, honest, never really noticed the problem specific to Glocks prior to the upgrades.

T2C
01-21-23, 23:14
Well, I spent most of my adult life as one of the firearms instructors at our states law enforcement training center and I want to tell you that the internet was my first inkling of brass to face issues specific to Glocks.

I've seen folks shooting multiple brands experience BTF. In those cases, our response was coaching the fundamentals.

I will admit, though, that student officer's firearm were inspected and armorer service performed before they would hit the range. In the case of Glocks, that meant the upgrade kits were installed.

But, honest, never really noticed the problem specific to Glocks prior to the upgrades.

Same here. I've been shooting and training people to shoot Glocks since 1998. I've read about brass to forehead ejection on the internet and parts people install to remedy it, but have yet to experience it myself. I own Gen 2, Gen 3, Gen 4 and Gen 5 Glocks chambered in 9mm and 40 S&W Glocks without modifications. Could underpowered ammunition be causing this issue for some people?

Ron3
01-21-23, 23:30
Same here. I've been shooting and training people to shoot Glocks since 1998. I've read about brass to forehead ejection on the internet and parts people install to remedy it, but have yet to experience it myself. I own Gen 2, Gen 3, Gen 4 and Gen 5 Glocks chambered in 9mm and 40 S&W Glocks without modifications. Could underpowered ammunition be causing this issue for some people?

It does for my G3 G19. But other Glocks I've had it didn't matter.

I wish I'd kept the few that didn't have this problem. I didnt realize they were exceptional at the time.

While reading more about G5 Glocks I learned they have a trigger problem resulting in high-effort (trigger gets gritty and takes twice the effort) due to crud getting into certain parts of the mechanism, and debris getting into striker channel which can also cause a trigger pull issue and...light strikes.

Oh, and a few guys have had connectors wear out and a couple reported having broken one.

When do the Gen 6 Glocks arrive?

01-22-23, 08:24

Hotter ammo and a more solid grip will make it worse because more slide velocity is velocity is kind of what causes it.

I have a hard time believing someone makes a living around Glocks and didn’t notice that they dribble brass out all over the shooter. It’s very obvious something is amiss when a pistol with the ejection port on the right side of the gun ejects to the left.

And even if I’m just a noob and can’t shoot, Apex studied and tried to remedy the problem for years, and Glock has made bo less than six modifications to address the issue..

punchandpie
01-22-23, 09:00
Out for all the Glocks I've had the worst was a Gen 3 19, my gen 5 guns have been fine.

01-22-23, 09:28
Hotter ammo and a more solid grip will make it worse because more slide velocity is velocity is kind of what causes it.

I have a hard time believing someone makes a living around Glocks and didn’t notice that they dribble brass out all over the shooter. It’s very obvious something is amiss when a pistol with the ejection port on the right side of the gun ejects to the left.

Like I said, no one in SOF seems to be talking about this.

I’ve never noted any Glock to “dribble” brass.

ST911
01-22-23, 09:28
Responding to no one in particular.

Like pr0n, "BTF" lacks definitive definition but we know it when we see it. For some, BTF is anything other than picturesque tuned ejection patterns.

Ejection in Glocks includes a measure of reliance on a magazine in the gun to support the empty case as it's extracted. You can see this by conducting the 1911 extractor test. Repeat with empty mag, partial mag, full mag, and no mag across assorted Glock models of the same caliber and look at differences in ejection pattern. Now consider variables of case weight, case length, slide speed, shooter grip, parts wear, and there is a lot in play. Some tweaks to extractors and ejectors (OEM and aftermarket) have "helped" but no single variable is at source.

(Additional example: Somewhere here at M4C is a discussion of the Magpul 21rd magazine and stoppages in Glocks when empty, associated with it's different dims and less of the case support described above.)

Given the right combination of variables, BTF can be found across all gens. The breechface cut is an improvement in overall consistency but I've seen cut gen5s with inconsistent ejection patterns. I have a particular G45 that will eject randomly but is 100% reliable. With a few loads, I will leave the range with a couple of carbon swipes on my forehead from empty cases if I'm not wearing a ball cap.

I don't much care, but if we're going to kick it around it's about more than most talk about.

I don't remember ejection attributes in the gen5 40s, other than noting the guns ran and were the best version of the 40s to date.

jesuvuah
01-22-23, 09:38

And even if I’m just a noob and can’t shoot, Apex studied and tried to remedy the problem for years, and Glock has made bo less than six modifications to address the issue..I had a glock that would do btf only with weak ammo. With hot ammo it was fine. I will also add that over almost 2 decades and dozens of glocks, it was the only one that ever had the issue.

That being said, most my glocks are either older gen 3 guns, or newer gen 5 guns. I mostly skipped the gen 4. I have a gen 4 glock 22 that has weak ejection with my 9mm conversion in it, but it's not problematic, and I can't really blame the gun considering I am running a conversion barrel in it.

Soli Deo Gloria

01-22-23, 10:19

You probably shoot with your eyes closed.

26 Inf
01-22-23, 22:27

Hey, that was mean. :p

T2C
01-22-23, 22:30
I have some ZQI 9mm ammunition that I haven't fired yet. I'll have to try it and see if I can create the BTF issue.

Ron3
01-22-23, 23:07

They probably never expect to be using guns when they aren't kitted-up.

Wearing goggles and a helmet there is no reason worry about brass.

Goggles only? (Range) It hurts, is distracting, and can make you burn and even bleed. (.45 made me bleed once)

No goggles? (Self-defense scenario) and btf can take an eye out when you need it most.

01-23-23, 07:17
Hits are hits.

They probably never expect to be using guns when they aren't kitted-up.

Wearing goggles and a helmet there is no reason worry about brass.

Goggles only? (Range) It hurts, is distracting, and can make you burn and even bleed. (.45 made me bleed once)

No goggles? (Self-defense scenario) and btf can take an eye out when you need it most.
SOF shoot Glocks with just Oakleys and ears pretty routinely.

01-23-23, 07:29
Hey, that was mean. :p

I can’t believe there’s still people trying to gaslight us into thinking that the shooter is the problem with Glock’s poor extractor design even after they gave up AFTER 30 YEARS, and just machined a secondary extractor into the slide.

MegademiC
01-23-23, 11:50
I can’t believe there’s still people trying to gaslight us into thinking that the shooter is the problem with Glock’s poor extractor design even after they gave up AFTER 30 YEARS, and just machined a secondary extractor into the slide.

I have a gen4g23 that was fine in 40. Had btf with my 9 conv bbl. "Upgraded" 9mm extractor, 9mm ejector, and 9mm plunger fixed the issue. Brass "dribbles" out but I have over 10k trouble free rounds from 115 aluminum champion, & 135gr sub reloads, to duty ammo.

I know some guns had issues but seems to be fixed, especially with gen 5s.

I really liked my M&P at first, but accuracy issues and lack of accessory support pushed me to glock years ago.

01-23-23, 12:14

¿Who?

ssc
01-23-23, 12:53
I’ve been shooting glocks since the early 90’s. I have 2nd, 3rd and 5th gen guns. Probably have 16 currently. I have sent close to 400,000 rounds down range with the majority from a gen 2 17. I have experienced BTF on occasion. Usually it was a gen 3.

I don’t want to get into a pissing match with anyone, but to me it is such a diminutive issue. It has never caused me to lose time in a match or to cause an issue while training. Frankly, it is a good feature to train with. If such a minor issue is a game changer then I don’t know what to say.

Just one more item to train for like a malfunction drill. YMMV

Cheers, Steve

Ron3
01-23-23, 13:37
When this subject comes up at the range I tell that guy to shoot and I pick up a handful of cases.

Then I throw them hard at his head while he tries to shoot and say, "oh, I'm sorry, is this distracting? Why? They arent even hot go ahead and take off your eye pro, I'm not even hitting you every time! Even when they hit you they won't neccesarily cut you, it just hurts. But chicks like scars anyway! " etc.

When they really start to get annoyed and tell me to stop I tell them, "oh, you wish casings weren't hitting you in the face because it may interfere with your shooting? Now you get it."

Done this two or three times. :D

davidjinks
02-01-23, 04:40
I just checked my wife’s issued Glock 23 Gen 5 and it has the cut out in the breach face.

In regards to the 9mm Glocks, I’ve had zero BTF shooting all kinds of ammo. Most of the time my brass gets sent into another zip code when shooting.

Straight Shooter
02-01-23, 06:45
As I wrote on here many years ago..my Gen 4 was bad about it when I got it. I fixed for $12 with a proper ejector.
MANY thousands later never did it again, not once.

BuzzinSATX
02-01-23, 07:26

My G23-4 never threw a single brass at me. It did have a kaboom shooting commercial reman ammo that was scary…and I bought a KKM barrel to help prevent it from ever happening again. It hasn’t repeated but can’t say if the barrel helped…

I’m pretty much with you. I’ve have a lot of Gen 4 Glocks, mostly in 9MM and only ever happened with a G21-4 which Glock replaced.

I don’t doubt it was an issue. But some Glock owners are as fickle as Glock haters. How many times have I read that…

- Gen 3’s were most awesome Glock ever!

- Gen 4’s were junk! They are the red headed stepchild of Glocks

- Gen 1’s are valuable collectors editions

- BTF is a problem with every Glock gen 4

- G45 was a stupid idea and backwards…until it was shot…and now it’s the best!

Personally, I have mostly Glocks and am happy with them. I do some minor mods and polish internals. They work for me.

I hate Glock’s “Perfection” motto. It is arrogant and stupid. And for one of the most modifiable guns out there, it’s a point of contention that they need to avoid. But it is what it is…

LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuzzinSATX
02-01-23, 07:28
My G23-4 never threw a single brass at me. It did have a kaboom shooting commercial reman ammo that was scary…and I bought a KKM barrel to help prevent it from ever happening again. It hasn’t repeated but can’t say if the barrel helped…

I’m pretty much with you. I’ve have a lot of Gen 4 Glocks, mostly in 9MM and only ever happened with a G21-4 which Glock replaced.

I don’t doubt it was an issue. But some Glock owners are as fickle as Glock haters. How many times have I read that…

- Gen 3’s were most awesome Glock ever!

- Gen 4’s were junk! They are the red headed stepchild of Glocks

- Gen 1’s are valuable collectors editions

- BTF is a problem with every Glock gen 4

- G45 was a stupid idea and backwards…until it was shot…and now it’s the best!

Personally, I have mostly Glocks and am happy with them. I do some minor mods and polish internals. They work for me.

I hate Glock’s “Perfection” motto. It is arrogant and stupid. And for one of the most modifiable guns out there, it’s a point of contention that they need to avoid. But it is what it is…

LOL!

Meant to also say, the BTF with the G21 did suck! Not downplaying it. I sent the gun to Glock twice. They replaced it the second time.

Didn’t mean to put anyone down who said it happened to them…but I simply wanted to say my sample of about a dozen guns has not shown much BTF issues

davidjinks
02-01-23, 07:43
All my Gen 3 Glocks never exhibited BTF. When I started to transition to Gen 4, I realized what everyone was talking about. My favorite was when the bras would eject to the left, over the slide, in the opposite direction of what it was supposed to.

I own nothing but Glock 17 Gen 5 and soon to be Glock 45. Zero BTF with any of them. That cutout works. I don’t know how, but it works. Ejection is solid, repeatable, and most of the time I’m searching for my brass fairly far from the firing line.

As I wrote on here many years ago..my Gen 4 was bad about it when I got it. I fixed for $12 with a proper ejector.
MANY thousands later never did it again, not once.

26 Inf
02-02-23, 22:03

Sorry, just never saw it as a Glock thing, again, as I said in another post, my experience PRIOR to the updates didn't register that as a problem with Glocks more than any other pistol. Additionally, for the most part, the shooters that I observed experiencing BTF were generally doing something that was responsive to coaching correction.