PDA

View Full Version : Military rank and POV's

Slater
01-18-23, 08:36
True?

https://i.imgur.com/8oVRxVv.jpg

chuckman
01-18-23, 08:40
I would hope that it would mean that you learn to manage debt and money as you climb the ranks. So many E1 retards buying that boot car at 23% financing.

Ugly cars? Maybe. Paid off? For sure.

Averageman
01-18-23, 09:09
It's a lifecycle.
It really is that simple, your young and single you buy a single mans sports car, you marry and slowly lose your will to live and your manhood until you find yourself in a minivan.

chuckman
01-18-23, 09:20
Man, give me a good minivan 10 times over any sports car. I love our Honda Odyssey.

Wake27
01-18-23, 09:24
Eh. Tru-ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Harpoon
01-18-23, 09:39
Back in the early 80's I lived very close to a major air force base. I would see air force men driving to and from the base every day in my travels. All of the enlisted men drove American made cars. All of the officers drove imports.

markm
01-18-23, 09:45
Man, give me a good minivan 10 times over any sports car. I love our Honda Odyssey.

If they made a 4WD minivan, it would be useful for our range trips.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-18-23, 10:10
It's a lifecycle.
It really is that simple, your young and single you buy a single mans sports car, you marry and slowly lose your will to live and your manhood until you find yourself in a minivan.

QFTMFT

When I was in my teens I knew every car model and engine package available. Now I don't even know all the brands...

robbins290
01-18-23, 11:39

Look at the Toyota Sienna XSE, its awd.

PJ2RESQU2
01-18-23, 11:39
Our parking lots outside the team rooms always looked like a Toyota and Harley dealership.

As it should be...

markm
01-18-23, 11:45

We need 4wd for sand washes. When they dry out in summer, they're soft and mushy.

Slater
01-18-23, 11:46
Back in the 1980's (my SSgt days) my ride was a 1979 Chevy C-10 work truck. No radio, no air conditioning, no power steering, no power brakes. Just a three-on-the column 3-speed shifter, a bench seat, and a steering wheel - and not much else. I loved that old bucket.

chuckman
01-18-23, 12:51
Back in the early 80's I lived very close to a major air force base. I would see air force men driving to and from the base every day in my travels. All of the enlisted men drove American made cars. All of the officers drove imports.

My cousin owned an auto repair shape right outside the main gate of Seymour Johnson AFB in Goldsboro, NC. He made a killing on pilots who brought in their imports. Because they were imports, they often required proprietary tools, and if he did not have what he needed, it got put on the bill. The nearest dealership for most imports was in Raleigh, 60 miles away.

Yes, definitely. I had a pick up, I much prefer the minivan for range trips.

Coal Dragger
01-18-23, 13:00
It's a lifecycle.

LOL, reminds me of “ The Natural Age Progression of a Weapons Platoon Leader”:

https://terminallance.com/2010/02/02/terminal-lance-9-the-natural-age-progression-of-a-weapons-platoon-commander/

markm
01-18-23, 13:10
Yes, definitely. I had a pick up, I much prefer the minivan for range trips.

We run a cool 2 seater Tacoma 4wd, but having all the expensive guns/optics just out in the open bed is less than ideal.

Coal Dragger
01-18-23, 13:15
Get a decked drawer system for the truck bed.

MA2_Navy_Veteran
01-18-23, 13:23
Technically, an officer that fails to pay their debts in a timely manner (goes to collection agency, ect.) could be charged with conduct unbecoming & lose their commission... though it rarely, if ever comes to that.

MA2

AKjeff
01-18-23, 14:01
Back in the 1980's (my SSgt days) my ride was a 1979 Chevy C-10 work truck. No radio, no air conditioning, no power steering, no power brakes. Just a three-on-the column 3-speed shifter, a bench seat, and a steering wheel - and not much else. I loved that old bucket.

I was an E-2 in '85, my first pickup was similar. A '63 w. AM radio.
I didn't take out a car loan until '96.

ddbtoth
01-18-23, 14:11
I don’t know, the retired airborne colonel with the crappy brand new Mercedes parked out side his garage so his Ferrari can stay insides says different (that and some really good retirement planning).

markm
01-18-23, 14:53
Get a decked drawer system for the truck bed.

It's got a tool box and bolted down recovery equipment box, etc. Otherwise, yeah. That would be ideal.

chuckman
01-18-23, 15:20
We run a cool 2 seater Tacoma 4wd, but having all the expensive guns/optics just out in the open bed is less than ideal.

A guy I shoot with from time to time is a retired Delta/CAG guy. He uses his wife's minivan, the damn thing looks like a technical lol. He just throws rifles in the back, a small arsenal. It's pretty funny. When we go out to eat after he just tosses a blanket over them and locks the doors, he doesn't worry about the safety.

markm
01-18-23, 15:28
Drive nowhere besides the range and straight back with this thing. I can pump some gas, but can't go into a store.

titsonritz
01-18-23, 18:09

Chrysler Pacifica, Honda Odyssey, Kia Carnival and Toyota Sienna.

JediGuy
01-18-23, 21:04

Came here to say this. Our Sienna XLE AWD is awesome. Old enough I don’t care how it looks, smooth drive, great grip and takeoff. Relatively speaking.

Averageman
01-19-23, 00:28
When my Son went off to College I gave him my Chevy Colorado and sadly had to trade in my Mustang GT's because it was no longer practicle not to have a truck.
I bought a Tacoma and put a shell on the back with a bed liner, then I built a false bottom to slide my guns ( in cases ) under.
Between the false bottom and tinted windows no one can see what's in there.
But I'm an old guy and really have no one to impress.

AndyLate
01-19-23, 06:54
When my Son went off to College I gave him my Chevy Colorado and sadly had to trade in my Mustang GT's because it was no longer practicle not to have a truck.
I bought a Tacoma and put a shell on the back with a bed liner, then I built a false bottom to slide my guns ( in cases ) under.
Between the false bottom and tinted windows no one can see what's in there.
But I'm an old guy and really have no one to impress.

I'm tempted to do this with my Chevy truck. It would be nice to have the shell when we travel and the truck has a 6.5' bed, so it could double as a simple sleep area for lazy camping.

Now my guns travel to the range in the back seat and I keep the range necessities in a tool box in the bed full time. I keep a cheap moving blanket in the truck to cover the concrete range benches and throw it over the stuff in the back seat if I stop.

Andy

AndyLate
01-19-23, 07:24
To the OP, the senior NCOs and officers either drove BMWs/Mercedes, generic newer cars/trucks, or old beaters - it ran the whole spectrum. Kind of the same at work, only fewer beaters.

Andy

markm
01-19-23, 08:14
Chrysler Pacifica, Honda Odyssey, Kia Carnival and Toyota Sienna.

AWD or 4WD? As I understand it, there's a difference between the two.

AKDoug
01-19-23, 09:49
AWD or 4WD? As I understand it, there's a difference between the two.

They are all wheel drive but not enough ground clearance to do what you want. I'm a huge mini-van fan, but even AWD ones aren't offroad capable. There is a difference, primarily the difference is that AWD is on all the time and the computer basically decides what to do with it. Most 4WD systems allow operator control as to when the front axle is engaged and used.

markm
01-19-23, 10:42
They are all wheel drive but not enough ground clearance to do what you want. I'm a huge mini-van fan, but even AWD ones aren't offroad capable.

Yeah. I've never seen one that would make it out where we go. I saw a full size Chevey 4X4 van in my neighborhood, and thought THAT would be ideal for safe/secure range trips. But I don't want to be towing a chevy back to town every month.