PDA

View Full Version : USN pilot to receive Navy Cross for shooting down 4 Russian MiG-15s in one dogfight.

Harpoon
01-18-23, 14:31
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/navy-cross-royce-williams-dogfight/

"During the Korean War, Navy Lt. Royce Williams went head-to-head with 7 Soviet fighters and not only survived, but left the fight with multiple confirmed kills".

"More than 70 years ago, Navy Capt. Royce Williams flew in one of the greatest dogfights of all time, taking on seven Soviet jets alone in an engagement that remained classified for decades.
This Friday, Williams will receive the Navy Cross — the service’s second-highest award for valor — for his heroic actions.

"On Nov. 18, 1952, Williams – flying his second mission of the day – took off from the USS Oriskany in a Grumman F95-5 Panther as part of a combat air patrol mission over the Sea of Japan, near the border with North Korea, China, and the Soviet Union."

"In more than 30 minutes of aerial combat, Williams shot down at least four MiGs, even though his own aircraft would eventually land with 263 holes in it. Nursing his plane back to the Navy task force, Williams considered bailing out, but told Task & Purpose, “I knew in that weather I wouldn’t have survived in the time it took to find me.”

"Williams proceeded along with his career, another 23 years that included 110 missions flown over Vietnam".

chuckman
01-18-23, 14:34
They have talked about the MoH for him for years--decades?? The least he should get is the Navy Cross (upgraded from Silver Star). He was no slouch; he retired a captain with command at sea and a prolific flying career.

titsonritz
01-18-23, 18:06
97 years old, better late than never.

pag23
01-18-23, 18:09
97 years old, better late than never.

50 years overdue.....

Averageman
01-19-23, 00:34
Talk about being overlooked.
Geeze...
I live in a Military Community, there are a lot of old Buzzards around here that have seen some stuff.

prepare
01-19-23, 02:56
Why would that be classified?

chuckman
01-19-23, 07:28
Why would that be classified?

Because the pilots were Soviets, and Soviets were not combatants in the Korean war. The fear was, if it went public it would draw the Soviet Union into the war (officially). But, the Soviets actually recorded it and released the details after the USSR dissolved, and the US actually used their documentation to upgrade the SS.

Slater
01-19-23, 17:41
Presumably, his gun camera footage recorded these kills.

Averageman
01-21-23, 15:55
Presumably, his gun camera footage recorded these kills.

If I had done that, when you rang my doorbell the video would play on a screen on my front door and yes, you would have to watch all four go down before the bell would ring.
That defines Bad Ass.