PDA

View Full Version : Cantilever mounts?

settingsuns
01-20-23, 04:25
Are most folks running cantilever mounts on their gasser or bolt?

GH41
01-20-23, 05:37

You should use a mount that provides proper eye relief with the scope you are using and mounts to the receiver not rail. No one size fits all.

vandal5
01-20-23, 07:36

Could you please provide more information? Do you have a specific rifle/ optic combination you are looking at?

Like GH41 said, it all depends on what will give you proper eye relief.

settingsuns
01-20-23, 07:55
Could you please provide more information? Do you have a specific rifle/ optic combination you are looking at?

Like GH41 said, it all depends on what will give you proper eye relief.

I’m in the middle of a 308 gas build and have seen so many pics of folks running cantilever so I’ve been trying to figure out if it’s worth trying.

markm
01-20-23, 07:57
Do you mean for a "real" scope? We run almost no cantilever, but there might be 1 or 2 one piece mounts on AR10s/15s that has the front ring cantalevered forward.

settingsuns
01-20-23, 08:05
Do you mean for a "real" scope? We run almost no cantilever, but there might be 1 or 2 one piece mounts on AR10s/15s that has the front ring cantalevered forward.

Yes for a "real" scope and I think cantilever is not as rigid as a straight-up mount, due to that cantilever arm hanging out the front without direct support.
I'm trying to know other members opinion too.

MegademiC
01-20-23, 08:16
Yes for a "real" scope and I think cantilever is not as rigid as a straight-up mount, due to that cantilever arm hanging out the front without direct support.

No, its perfectly rigid for its use.
Yes I use cantilever mounts, LaRue lt104 and a Reptilla mount

markm
01-20-23, 08:20
No, its perfectly rigid for its use.

Yes. The mounts we run (one is Geissele for sure) have only the front ring pushed out. Any reputable brand should have no problems.

settingsuns
01-20-23, 08:21
Yes. The mounts we run (one is Geissele for sure) have only the front ring pushed out. Any reputable brand should have no problems.

I really appreciate your input.

MegademiC
01-20-23, 08:24
I really appreciate your input.

What mounts are you looking at? Cheap mounts can really give you issues.

settingsuns
01-20-23, 08:30
What mounts are you looking at? Cheap mounts can really give you issues.

I'm thinking a Geissele or ADM Recon?

settingsuns
01-20-23, 08:33
Strongly considering the ADM Recon

markm
01-20-23, 09:06
Haven't run one, but ADM is good stuff.

mark5pt56
01-20-23, 09:17
If you don't need the quick release, this is an incredible mount, very strong and priced well.
https://www.leupold.com/mark-ar-30mm-matte

markm
01-20-23, 09:41
If you don't need the quick release,

That's an interesting point. I can't think of one time ever that a quick release was needed by anyone I know. (I'm sure someone can site an example, but) I never pay for quick releases, since I've never needed one.

Stickman
01-20-23, 10:01
That's an interesting point. I can't think of one time ever that a quick release was needed by anyone I know. (I'm sure someone can site an example, but) I never pay for quick releases, since I've never needed one.

If you are a dirty gun whore who takes lots of pictures the QD features make life much easier. However, if I wasn't taking pics of everything all the time, I don't think I would feel a need for QD.

markm
01-20-23, 10:07
If you are a dirty gun whore who takes lots of pictures the QD features make life much easier. However, if I wasn't taking pics of everything all the time, I don't think I would feel a need for QD.

Watch... I'll probably have some quick release crisis this weekend.

Stickman
01-20-23, 10:09
Any reputable brand should have no problems.

Scope whip is real, but bringing it up and using stupid things like facts shown through locked fixtures and super high speed film would only result in giant amounts of jackassery. IIRC, Kino had threats of lawsuits and all sorts of aggravation when he tested and verified rail deflection with various rails from companies. I know that when I brought up issues regarding billet upper receivers that weren't reinforced, the wailing and gnashing of teeth was obscene.

Since I'm not interested in reading comments from paid shills spouting the exact given text from their overlords, I'll just leave it at that.

Stickman
01-20-23, 10:24
If you don't need the quick release, this is an incredible mount, very strong and priced well.
https://www.leupold.com/mark-ar-30mm-matte

Should be a good one, and that is a great price.

markm
01-20-23, 10:32
Scope whip is real, but bringing it up and using stupid things like facts shown through locked fixtures and super high speed film would only result in giant amounts of jackassery. IIRC, Kino had threats of lawsuits and all sorts of aggravation when he tested and verified rail deflection with various rails from companies. I know that when I brought up issues regarding billet upper receivers that weren't reinforced, the wailing and gnashing of teeth was obscene.

No doubt. I've seen the videos of 50 cal rifles making scopes look like linguini. I can imagine it's just scaled down when it's more common calibers. And guys who run billet receivers over forged just deserve it. :p

Bluto
01-20-23, 10:59
I’m running a scalarworks cantilever mount on my 308 for quite a while now and am very pleased with it.

titsonritz
01-20-23, 12:36

As mentioned is depends on the gun and the optic, but a general rule of thumb I have cantilevered mounts on my ARs and straight mounts/rings on bolt guns.

Not all mounts are created equal. Geissele, Reptilia, Spuhr, Badger Ordnance, etc mounts are plenty rigid.

titsonritz
01-20-23, 12:44
I’m running a scalarworks cantilever mount on my 308 for quite a while now and am very pleased with it.

I decided to ditch my Scalarworks after reports of their ring breakage issues. I loved the light weight but I lost confidence in it so I went back to my G mount.

Hammer_Man
01-20-23, 18:48
KAC mounts are pricey, but very solid. Spuhr mounts are masterfully machined, and also very pricey. Haven’t handled any Geissele or Badger mounts, but people around the internet seem to like them both.

OutofBatt3ry
01-22-23, 21:06

As far as mounts, I use cantilever. I've always preferred the Laure.
an MOA or two.