PDA

View Full Version : Marines get the best of DARPA robot

Slater
01-22-23, 14:51
Looks like that technology has a ways to go. My hat's off to you if you can do somersaults for 300 meters:

"In the passages, Scharre details how, at the end of their training course, the Marines devised a game to test the DARPA robot's intelligence.

Eight Marines placed the robot in the center of a traffic circle and found creative ways to approach it, aiming to get close enough to touch the robot without being detected.

Two of the Marines did somersaults for 300 meters. Two more hid under a cardboard box, giggling the entire time. Another took branches from a fir tree and walked along, grinning from ear to ear while pretending to be a tree, according to sources from Scharre's book.

Not one of the eight was detected.

"The AI had been trained to detect humans walking," Scharre wrote. "Not humans somersaulting, hiding in a cardboard box, or disguised as a tree. So these simple tricks, which a human would have easily seen through, were sufficient to break the algorithm."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/marines-fooled-darpa-robot-hiding-071107137.html

Coal Dragger
01-22-23, 15:46
Somersaults for 300 meters?

Sounds like some poor officer made a bet with a couple of motivated Lance Corporals. Maybe offered up a 96 hour weekend, or *shudders even thinking about it* offered to put them on their bar tab. Little did they know a Lance Criminal has the magical powers to accomplish anything given the opportunity to gain good chow, libbo, pussy, tobacco, energy drinks, and alcohol.

The only reason we don’t enjoy nuclear fusion powering the country is that the Commandant of the Marine Corps refuses to make a standing bet for a 96 with every E-3 in the Corps that such inventions are impossible.

SomeOtherGuy
01-22-23, 20:37
That's awesome.

Crayons must boost IQ.

Hank6046
01-22-23, 21:27
What I love about this, is an E3 in the infantry get this Robot and within 24 hours you can bet it will be turned into either a motorized dildo, taught to retrieve a six pack, or ducted taped with enough claymores to turn it into a semi autonomous suicide bomber.

Pacific5th
01-22-23, 21:32
The Marines take a lot of crap for being stupid but in reality they are full of very smart people. When you push the leadership to lower levels like the Marines do you want smart people and thinkers. I know when I was in the Marines had the highest low ASVAB score limit.

Coal Dragger
01-23-23, 00:31
What I love about this, is an E3 in the infantry get this Robot and within 24 hours you can bet it will be turned into either a motorized dildo, taught to retrieve a six pack, or ducted taped with enough claymores to turn it into a semi autonomous suicide bomber.

Negative.

There is no “or” in that scenario. Only “and”.

It will be purposed for all of those things.

AndyLate
01-23-23, 07:25
The guided EOD "robots" have already been used to carry lethal explosive payloads. Obviously the autonomous robots are a poor choice for the same thing.

My company had video of our wheeled robot with a M2 firing via remote weapon system which was pretty cool. Imagine having a Ma Duece or MK 19's fire support handy while patrolling without having to carry it or drive the carrier. Also letting a robot be the bullet/rocket magnet instead of a gun crew.

Andy

Hank6046
01-23-23, 13:44
Negative.

There is no “or” in that scenario. Only “and”.

It will be purposed for all of those things.

What I always loved about people who never served is that they never seem to wrap their head around the fact that we are handing hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars of very high level equipment and putting it into the hands of a 19 yr old who barely passed high school, and the person appointed to supervise them is a 23 yr old who's already been divorced with a caffeine, alcohol and nicotine addiction, and yet the public expects amazing results...

sgtrock82
01-23-23, 15:01
So how long till the DARPA robot turns up preggers?

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

Entryteam
01-23-23, 20:43
That's awesome.

Crayons must boost IQ.

depends on the flavor.....

rero360
01-23-23, 21:03

Who says it’s not already?

Coal Dragger
01-23-23, 21:45

The manufacturer rep spends at least 50% of his workweek performing “abortions” on the robot.

Pretty sure a LCpl or two have also tried to marry the robot so they can collect BAH and get out of the barracks. Which in fairness is a better idea than marrying a stripper who will steal all of their money and get impregnated by their buddies.

utahjeepr
01-23-23, 21:47
Man, crayons are waxy lil creativity pills. Throw in some sugar, and a good dip of snuff... the sky is the limit.

And yeah, if there were any PFCs or LCPLs in the mix the bot is knocked up.

ETA: CD, that bit about my first wife was supposed to stay on the QT!!! ;)

Coal Dragger
01-23-23, 21:48
Who says it’s not already?

Beat me to it, LOL.

I wonder if the company 1stSgt has had to chew ass on some Pfc or LCpl for molesting the robot?

Stupid question, of course he’s had to.

What I want to know is have the Marines taught the robot to get black out drunk and jump off the 3rd deck balcony of the barracks with a poncho for a parachute yet?