PDA

View Full Version : Help me spend some $$$!

madryan
11-20-06, 23:38
Here's the deal... I have $1200 to spend on a new Carbine. I'm thinking LMT upper with a CMT Bolt/Carrier and a 14.5in barrel to which I will permanently fix an AAC suppressor adaptor (That's if it's going to be long enough...) so later down the road I can do the paperwork and get a can.

So... Here's what I was thinking for a lower...

CMMG lower built up with a Magpul CTR and a standard trigger.

or...

An LMT lower with their SOPMOD stock.

Let me hear your opinions on what I should do...

S-1
11-21-06, 02:04
I would go all LMT. LMT BCG, Upper and lower w/SOPMOD.

rob_s
11-21-06, 04:44
I would make sure that you get the right flash suppressor from AAC as I don't believe all of them add enough length to make you legal.

I would also reconsider permanently attaching anything to the end of the barrel. My first foray back into the AR scene a couple of years ago was a 14.5" LMT to which I had Gemtech add a Bilock because at the time I was absolutely convinced that would be my first can. Here I am several years later, still don't own a 5.56 can, and when I do buy one it will be either an Ops or Surefire (unless things change again, haha). No matter what I won't be permanently attaching anything to my barrels in case I want to change again for newer technology later on.

madryan
11-22-06, 02:15
Actually I ordered a CMMG upper today. 14.5in govt. profile barrel with a permanently attached Vortex, an "F" marked front sight block, their enhanced bolt in a M-16 carrier and an LMT sight with a MI two piece non FF handguard.

I'm going to pick up an extra reciever and get the ball rolling on an SBR and a Suppressor so I'll do that all on another build.

I still need to figure out which lower setup to go with.

David Thomas
11-22-06, 08:46
Actually I ordered a CMMG upper today. 14.5in govt. profile barrel with a permanently attached Vortex, an "F" marked front sight block, their enhanced bolt in a M-16 carrier and an LMT sight with a MI two piece non FF handguard.

I'm going to pick up an extra reciever and get the ball rolling on an SBR and a Suppressor so I'll do that all on another build.

I still need to figure out which lower setup to go with.

You might as well go CMMG and the CTR. I have a CMMG lower and I am pleased with it. I do not have a LMT lower, but I am sure they are nice, also. The CMMG lowers use a mil-spec size buffer extension so the CTR should fit just fine.

Is your upper a carbine length gas system or mid-length?

madryan
11-23-06, 17:56
You might as well go CMMG and the CTR. I have a CMMG lower and I am pleased with it. I do not have a LMT lower, but I am sure they are nice, also. The CMMG lowers use a mil-spec size buffer extension so the CTR should fit just fine.

Is your upper a carbine length gas system or mid-length?

It's a Carbine length setup...