PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Heads Up: Norinco Shotguns!

MisterWilson
12-26-08, 22:31
On the recommendation of a friend of mine I was pointed in the direction of a Norinco Shotgun, the Interstate Arms 982.

To quote someone else:

The Norinco 982 is a better and improved version of the 870 Express.

Norinco 982

Smoother action right of the box than the Express

Excellent ghost ring sights - None offered on the Express

Machined extractor and ejector - MIM parts on the Express

Metal trigger guard - Plastic on the Express

Parkerized finish - rough blue on the Express

Better designed shell lifter on the Norinco than the one on the 870 shotguns

With a tube ext on 18.5" barrel 7+1 capacity - With tube ext on the Express with a 18" barrel 6+1

Room to put a mount for a flashlight above the fore end on the shotgun mag tube - not so on the Express, it has to be mounted on the tube ext and remove each time you break the shotgun down, which is a pain.

I got mine for $200 + Tax and I think that it's priced WELL under what it ought to be. And before you get on the "but it's Chinese" bandwagon, consider Norinco's reputation on the 1911, M1A, SKS, & AK.

These will not be $200 for long, get good while the gettin's good.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/mastersqurm/Norinco%20982/DSC09873.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/mastersqurm/Norinco%20982/DSC09878.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/mastersqurm/Norinco%20982/DSC09889.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/mastersqurm/Norinco%20982/DSC09891.jpg

I haven't gotten to shoot it yet, and while it's not quite as smooth as a $400+ Remington, I think that it has a DAMN good bang-for-buck ratio. Perfect for keeping in the trunk of your car or what have you.

The ghost ring sights are solid and it'll accept any 870 accessories except barrels.

Now just to put a $1,000 worth of accessories on my $200 gun...

ETA: It also came with a shorter youth stock (which I wanted as I think that most shotguns stocks are too long) with a healthy rubber pad.

warpigM-4
12-27-08, 00:42
please report after you shoot it.looks interesting

MisterWilson
12-27-08, 00:53
Well that goes without saying.

:D

RWK
12-27-08, 10:12
And before you get on the "but it's Chinese" bandwagon...

Bandwagon...? I've got an entire orchestra ready to play. But, I wish you luck with it and that when it fails it doesn't do so catastrophically and that you retain all of your body parts. :D

Littlelebowski
12-27-08, 10:48
Do want.

MisterWilson
12-27-08, 12:06
Bandwagon...? I've got an entire orchestra ready to play. But, I wish you luck with it and that when it fails it doesn't do so catastrophically and that you retain all of your body parts. :D

I anticipate it's catastrophic failure just as much as I would on a previously mentioned Norinco 1911, M1A, SKS, or AK.

[Insert smug smiley here]

Beat Trash
12-27-08, 15:45
I have never even heard of this shotgun, much less seen one. Where are you buying it from?

MisterWilson
12-27-08, 16:34
One was at a local gunshop while the other was at Big 5 sporting goods.

Nathan_Bell
12-27-08, 16:37
I have seen a few of these 'guns. They all have been remarkably solid units.

andre3k
12-27-08, 17:15
I just had my Norinco 1911 Slide milled for novak sights. You should see what 5100 tool steel does to a dovetail cutter.

C-Fish
12-27-08, 17:24
Mister Wilson is 100% on this one folks.

I purchased a 982 for my son for HS graduation. I was so impressed that I purchased one for myself as well.
Here is mine.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/mseiferth/Guns/DSC_0139.jpg
I have added a +2 extension to the mag tube and a Speedfeed IVs stock.
My son's sports the same +2 and a ATI stock.
Here's a better picture of the +2 extension on another gun.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/mseiferth/Guns/Hawk982.jpg

Both have been 100% reliable.

My only gripe is the thin finish, but for $200 this is a very solid shotgun.

We have put hundreds of rounds through both, from birdshot to 3" magnum slugs.

bigghoss
12-28-08, 15:05
ok so after reading this I rushed down to big 5 to check one of these out. they didn't have them on sale but I know that big 5 rotates their sales every week so it'll probably be on sale within 2-3 weeks tops. they did have the H&R pardner pump defender which is also an 870 copy for $215 but since it only has bead sights and I already have a real 870 I decided to pass though I doubt I could find the defender version cheaper, though maybe for the same price.

big 5 actually wanted $300 bucks for the norinco but they only jack up the price so they can have a "sale" later. if I wait for the sale it should be about $50-75 cheaper or more

although last week I scored a really nice used 870 express magnum with 26" vent rib barrel for $129. if you can pull that off it's the better way to go!

Copis
12-30-08, 14:02
I hear they were recalled cause they can give you lead poisoning :D
(bad joke?)

bigghoss
12-30-08, 14:05
I hear they were recalled cause they can give you lead poisoning :D
(bad joke?)

very...

Copis
12-30-08, 14:31
My job here is done.....:)

bigghoss
12-30-08, 14:33
better

chillindrdude
12-30-08, 15:53
apologies...where might find one of these for sale?

bigghoss
12-30-08, 16:44

wait for big 5 to have one on sale

chillindrdude
12-30-08, 18:00
i don't live in a state with a Big 5 store...oh well. :(

Copis
12-30-08, 18:45
kinda off topic.....I only stepped foot in a big 5 once. I was doing some ammo price checks. I walked out immediately when I realized that 9mm WWB was priced approximately TWICE as much as Wal-Mart's prices. :mad:

bigghoss
12-30-08, 19:04
yeah I never buy ammo there. and I never buy anything else there unless it's on sale

MisterWilson
12-30-08, 19:14
kinda off topic.....I only stepped foot in a big 5 once. I was doing some ammo price checks. I walked out immediately when I realized that 9mm WWB was priced approximately TWICE as much as Wal-Mart's prices. :mad:

I call bullshit.

WWB 100 round box of 9mm @ Walmart - $19.95

Same ammo @ Big 5 - $26.95

And that's only because Walmart's retail is no-shit less than everyone else's wholesale.

28_days
01-03-09, 12:26
What's the difference between the 982T (here: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/11661) and the standard 982 (here: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/91401)?

Thanks!

Copis
01-03-09, 15:35
You're right Mr Wilson.....I am a pathetic liar

RojasTKD
01-04-09, 01:55
A friend of mine picked up one of these Norinco's about a year and a half ago and it runs fine. His is actually a copy of an Ithica shotgun where the shells are both loaded and expelled through the same opening at the bottom. It kind of neat and useful for any lefties out there.

If I run across a Norinco 982 for about 200 buck, I'd be very tempted to pick one up. Of coure that is if I had the money witch I currently don't. :(

Armati
01-04-09, 11:41
The ghost ring sights are solid and it'll accept any 870 accessories except barrels.

Now just to put a $1,000 worth of accessories on my $200 gun...

Damn.

More pics please!

Could you post a pic showing just how the bbls are different? I will be getting either this gun or a used 870 Magnum for a shotgun project. However, I must have interchangeable bbls.

Either way, it will $1000 worth of accessories.:D

bigghoss
01-04-09, 14:37
well I just got back from big 5 where they sell these norincos. they didn't have them on sale this week but last week they had an H&R pardner pump on sale for $215 and this week it's at their regular price of $299 which is the same price they have on the norinco which makes me think that the norinco whenever it comes on sale it should be the same price. shouldn't be more than a week or two...:D

28_days
01-04-09, 15:03
Bud's Gun Shop sells them as well. I'm going to pick one up when they come back in stock.

ukhayes
01-10-09, 19:35
Picked one up at the gun show today. $192 + tax. Takes all 870 parts except barrell. Barrell lug on Norinco is forward of the 870 location.

Buckshot TX
01-10-09, 22:05
Anyone know if the Norinco will accept 870 furniture?

ukhayes
01-10-09, 22:51
From what I've read and been told, yes. Only problem is with the barrels.

C-Fish
01-10-09, 22:53
Anyone know if the Norinco will accept 870 furniture?

Yes, they do.

Here is a picture of mine.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/mseiferth/Guns/DSC_0138.jpg

bigghoss
01-11-09, 08:22
well big 5 should have some new stuff on sale today, hopefully the norinco is one of them. gonna go check it out right after church today.

Cagemonkey
01-11-09, 09:01
In my opinion Rem. 870's, Mossberg 590's and FN's shotguns are cheap enough, that I wouldn't buy a CHICOM shotgun. Thats just me.

austinN4
01-11-09, 09:52
In my opinion Rem. 870's, Mossberg 590's and FN's shotguns are cheap enough, that I wouldn't buy a CHICOM shotgun.
I agree with the first 2, but where are you finding FNs that are "cheap"?

thopkins22
01-11-09, 10:13
I agree with the first 2, but where are you finding FNs that are "cheap"?

Yeah seriously, I could by three or four of those 982's for the price of one FN.

MisterWilson
01-11-09, 10:15
In my opinion Rem. 870's, Mossberg 590's and FN's shotguns are cheap enough, that I wouldn't buy a CHICOM shotgun. Thats just me.

Not with the ghost ring sights.

Hell, having a set bought & installed would cost as much as the shotgun itself.

Cagemonkey
01-11-09, 10:19
Sorry, my bad on the FN's. Those FN's are just Winchester 1200/1300's that have some tactical accessories.

austinN4
01-11-09, 12:10
Sorry, my bad on the FN's. Those FN's are just Winchester 1200/1300's that have some tactical accessories.
Exactly, and way over priced!

packinheavy
01-11-09, 12:50
Thanks guys. Just what I needed. Another shotgun. ;)

This would make a good beater.

28_days
02-11-09, 17:31
These are back in stock at Bud's Gun Shop.

Steve
02-12-09, 07:30
OK for what its worth,

I got one of these a few years ago from cabelas

i used it for some local classes and matches

after a bout 7 months of use and hard use the rear ghost ring screws sheared off and when they fell off there was about 3 extra holes under the wings.... after fixing that issue a few months later the welds that held the foearms to the action bars gave it up as well it was too bad the gun shot great and was smooth.

K.L. Davis
02-13-09, 07:11
What's the difference between the 982T (here: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/11661) and the standard 982 (here: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/91401)?

Thanks!

AFAIK the "T" model has a heat shield... or barrel shroud... or a thing that goes up.

28_days
02-15-09, 23:39
AFAIK the "T" model has a heat shield... or barrel shroud... or a thing that goes up.

That's what I determined as well. I was lucky enough to score one of the standard 982s at Buds. We'll see how it goes in a few weeks! :D

notorious_ar15
02-26-09, 04:31
OK for what its worth,

after a bout 7 months of use and hard use the rear ghost ring screws sheared off and when they fell off there was about 3 extra holes under the wings.... after fixing that issue a few months later the welds that held the foearms to the action bars gave it up as well it was too bad the gun shot great and was smooth.

That sucks! Were you able to send it in for warranty repair or get replacement parts?

N4LtRecce
02-28-09, 20:16
I'm tempted, but I already have a Chicom '37 copy that I've hardly shot. Has a 30" tube on it that I'd like to shorten to 20". It'd make a good trunk gun/beater.

glazer1972
03-02-09, 11:21
I don't think I could be tempted to get one. My idea of a cheap tactical shotgun would be a Reminton 870 Express sent to Williams for installation of their WGRS Rear and a Ramp Front. Add a magazine extension when it gets back. Have about $400 in it when you got done. You could opt for a rifle sighted barrel and sell the original for even less.

Turnkey11
03-06-09, 13:04
Im looking for one locally, to buy online it will run me at least $250, Id like to find one for $200.:D

MisterWilson
03-06-09, 13:12
Even @ $250 I'd be considering it...

MarshallDodge
03-06-09, 14:51
Interesting. That would definitely be a good "starter" shotgun. I wish they made a Benelli M1S90 copy.

I have mixed emotions about buying Chinese products but I will admit that my first 1911 was a Norinco and it has been a fine gun. Thousands of rounds and recently I noticed that one of the legs on the ejector broke. It still runs. :D

MassMark
03-06-09, 19:45
In the same vane, I work at Dicks Sporting Goods as a part time, "put my wife through RN school" gig and we sell a version of this gun marketed by New England Firearms. The Pardner Protector is an "old school" Remington 870 copy and I hate to say it - seems more robust than the 870. It has a deep black parkerized finish, 18" barrel, bead sight and has a tapped receiver. It has a 5+1 capacity and will also accept any Remington accessory, with the exception of barrels. I have field stripped both weapons and the Pardner seems more solid - though less well finished, but at under $200.00, who cares? I'm buying one as a "camp gun" and customer feedback on this gun has been extremely positive...

gunnut284
03-12-09, 03:57
While I'd rather have a Remington (new or used) the 982 is a solid gun for the money. I've seen a few issues (primarily extractors) but I've also seen more than that on Mossbergs and they are popular. The Chinese Ithaca 37 copies are downright dangerous crap in my experience. I've seen two with issues so bad I wouldn't shoot them. The 982s seem to be much better.

TX Solder
03-14-09, 12:54
Just picked one up at the local gun show for $225 out the door. Thanks for the heads up, Wilson.

bigghoss
01-05-10, 01:50
big 5 has them on sale now for $199 so if they have any in stock I'll get one.

mrbieler
01-05-10, 09:20
Looks interesting, but as long as I'm finding older Wingmasters for under $200 and rifle sighted 20" barrels for about $100, I'll pass.

Was out in Phoenix over the holidays and a local shop had the Browning BPS HD 7+1 for $349. That got my interest. Tried to convince my dad to buy one.

The Norinco I saw at the Angeles Range this summer had it's rear sights sheer off as well.

bigghoss
01-05-10, 13:54
picked it up this morning. it doesn't seem like a cheap POS though it's certainly not as smooth as an 870. since I already have a mossberg and an 870 it'll take a backseat to those but I think it's more than good enough for a light duty role as a truck and camp gun.

Rider79
01-06-10, 07:50
Snagged one at Big 5 last night, it was the last one and the display model. Manager gave me 10% off since it was a little scuffed. $220 including tax and transfer.

bigghoss
01-06-10, 16:46
so I was wondering, since this gun has a longer tube than the 870 are you guys using +2 extensions or only +1? also what are some good brands?

ThirdWatcher
01-06-10, 17:26
I added a Wilson Combat +1 Mag Extension on mine. http://www.wilsoncombat.com/sa_mag_extensions.asp

MAX100
01-10-10, 22:12
OK for what its worth,

What caused the screws to shear off. The GRS are lightweight so there would be very little stress on the screws. You must have dropped the shotgun on the GRS. The mount screws are size M4 so they are good size screws.

It's quite possible that the forend bars broke loose from the metal forend tube. I have seen it happen on an 870 as well. It's not very likely on the 982 because the brazing is very thick. I have also have seen the barrel ring on a 500 fall off because the brazing failed. Things happen on all shotguns.

The Hawk 982 is very well made. It's not new, it has been in the US for 12 years now. It started out as the Hawk 98. It has all machine parts and the polymer stock is very solid not hollow like the polymer stocks you find on more expensive shotguns today. I have owned my Hawk 98T for seven years with thousands of rounds through it. It has never give one problem. That's my shotgun in the pic on the first page with the heat shield and tube extension.

Like all parkerized finishes, the parkerized finish on the 982 needs to be soaked in oil or grease for a few days to make it more durable and prevent rust. Heat it with a hair dryer to speed up the process. It's an excellent base coat for a bake on finish.

GC

bigghoss
01-11-10, 21:00
What caused the screws to shear off. The GRS are lightweight so there would be very little stress on the screws. You must have dropped the shotgun on the GRS. The mount screws are size M4 so they are good size screws.

It's quite possible that the forend bars broke loose from the metal forend tube. I have seen it happen on an 870 as well. It's not very likely on the 982 because the brazing is very thick. I have also have seen the barrel ring on a 500 fall off because the brazing failed. Things happen on all shotguns.

The Hawk 982 is very well made. It's not new, it has been in the US for 12 years now. It started out as the Hawk 98. It has all machine parts and the polymer stock is very solid not hollow like the polymer stocks you find on more expensive shotguns today. I have owned my Hawk 98T for seven years with thousands of rounds through it. It has never give one problem. That's my shotgun in the pic on the first page with the heat shield and tube extension.

Like all parkerized finishes, the parkerized finish on the 982 needs to be soaked in oil or grease for a few days to make it more durable and prevent rust. Heat it with a hair dryer to speed up the process. It's an excellent base coat for a bake on finish.

GC

I noticed on mine that the screws have no lock-tite or anything to keep them from backing out, so I would not be surprised if they were loose and this had something to do with the failure.

the other thing I noticed he said after 7 months of hard use in 3 gun. thats probably more use than most of us will subject this gun to and is going to be rough on any gun.

took mine out today but all I had was birdshot. even after only 30-some rounds the action got somewhat smoother. the forend is really smooth and hard to grip when vigorously pumping the gun which the stiff new action requires. I'm trying to decide whether to get some grip tape or use rubberized undercoating.

I'm also thinking of hitting it with some desert tan paint. I read about tiger striping and kinda want to give it a shot.

MAX100
01-11-10, 22:50
I replaced the slot mount screws & the elevation set screw on the GRS on my Hawk 98 with better Allen head socket screws. You can get a better torque on them. The size is M4 for all three screws. Your local hardware store should carry them.

GC

bigghoss
01-12-10, 01:24
I just found out XS offers a tool that presses the dimples out of the tubes of 870's which should work for these as well but it costs $20. not sure it's worth it but you might have a different opinion. I have the norinco and an 870 but I also have a lot of sockets and my dad has a drill press.

MAX100
01-12-10, 09:25
Pressing the dimples out can be risky. If you damage the mag tube it would be very costly to replace it. Also if you get the end of the mag tube out of round the mag cap or tube extension won't screw on. It best to just drill the dimples out and take your time doing it. Use a half round fine file to smooth the holes from the inside. Some use a drimel to grind then down. That can be a safe way to do it as well.

GC

C-Fish
01-12-10, 17:11
Pressing the dimples out can be risky. If you damage the mag tube it would be very costly to replace it. Also if you get the end of the mag tube out of round the mag cap or tube extension won't screw on. It best to just drill the dimples out and take your time doing it. Use a half round fine file to smooth the holes from the inside. Some use a drimel to grind then down. That can be a safe way to do it as well.

GC

I used a socket that was just a tad smaller than the tube to press out (with a hammer) the dimples on both of mine. Worked perfectly.

Duralast 18mm (75-9369) from Autozone.
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/dur/75-936/image/8/

DragonDoc
01-15-10, 06:38

Try Bud's Gunshop.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/288/products_id/91401

alexd92
01-15-10, 16:38
Got this from another forum.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/5206/870finishes.jpg

wes007
01-15-10, 19:41
Can anyone point out any issues with these in terms of durability and reliability?

bigghoss
01-17-10, 18:17
Can anyone point out any issues with these in terms of durability and reliability?

so far what has been mentioned is the screws for the rear sight and the brazing on the action bars. nothing to worry about unless you want something to shoot in 3 gun or classes.

MAX100
01-17-10, 20:55
so far what has been mentioned is the screws for the rear sight and the brazing on the action bars. nothing to worry about unless you want something to shoot in 3 gun or classes.

Blue loctite the screws. I make tube extensions for the HAWK 982 and also sale 982 shotguns. I talk to 982 owners by email and phone all the time and have for years. Some of them use their 982 in 3 gun matches with no problems. If there were any problems with these shotguns I would be one of the first ones to know about it. The DA Grizzly shotgun above is also made by Hawk Ind and is basically the same shotgun as the 982. It's a very well like shotgun in Canada.

Do a google search on the Hawk 982.

GC

bigghoss
01-17-10, 22:40
what do you charge for one of your tube extensions? is it just the extension or do you include a spring?

MAX100
01-18-10, 01:58
what do you charge for one of your tube extensions? is it just the extension or do you include a spring?

I am sure it's against the rules for me to give price quotes. You can give me an email.

GC

castillo
01-20-10, 19:58
I have a pardner pump and it is good to go.

williejc
01-21-10, 19:35
Academy in Texas has sold the H&R Pardner Pump recently as low as $159 on sale. Regular price is $189 before tax. This security shotgun has an 18 inch barrel without shield and with bead front sight only. Hawk Industries is stamped on the receiver.

I have no complaints about mine, which has taken its place along side various others.
My advice to the guy who has not yet acquired a defense shotgun but plans to is this: if money is an issue, purchase a used but excellent condition 870 Wingmaster. Have the barrel cut back or sell the barrel and buy a police barrel from one of the sites listed on this forum.

Also, I have observed that earlier Expresses(10 or more years ago)appear to differ fom the Wingmaster in finish and wood only. The machined and non-mimmed extractor identifies these. I have owned several really nice ones.

When I bought the Pardner, I knew very well that it would have very low resale or trade value. I suspect that repairs requiring new parts could be difficult and even expensive if it turns out that 870 parts really won't fit.

MAX100
01-23-10, 17:47
When I bought the Pardner, I knew very well that it would have very low resale or trade value. I suspect that repairs requiring new parts could be difficult and even expensive if it turns out that 870 parts really won't fit.

I have been working with these shotguns for 7 years now. It's not up for debate, it's a fact that all 870 parts will fit both the Hawk 982 and the Hawk made Pardner Pump. I have tried the following: forend assembly, bolt, receiver stud, mag cap, trigger guard assembly, stock, forends, safety, barrel with spacer. These shotguns are more durably made than the 870 Express and 870P. Example: Take the recoil pad off your Protector and you can see how thick the polymer stock is compared to the thin and hollow ones on the 870. Also there are brass threaded insert in the stock for the machine screws that hold the recoil pad on. This is a more durable and costly setup than using wood screws in plastic. The recoil pad is also nicer than the standard pad on an Express. They have a nicer machined aluminum trigger guard than the compressed aluminum powder guard you find on the 870P and the plastic one on the Express. I could go on with more. You need to look your Protector over again with more objective eyes.

Here is a picture of a Hawk 982 with a 870 barrel installed with the use of a spacer to take up the space between the barrel ring and mag cap. The barrel is drop in fit with spacer. The 982 bolt also works with a 870 barrel.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee33/dasob/hawk982wrembbl001.jpg

GC

williejc
01-23-10, 19:19
Thank you for clarifying details of the Pardner. I have a better shotgun than I thought.

Respectfully,
Williejc

geminidglocker
01-23-10, 20:51
I plan on buying one. I've heard they are solid. Most of Norincos products are actually pretty good for the money.

boltcatch
01-25-10, 05:59
I have been working with these shotguns for 7 years now. It's not up for debate, it's a fact that all 870 parts will fit both the Hawk 982 and the Hawk made Pardner Pump. I have tried the following: forend assembly, bolt, receiver stud, mag cap, trigger guard assembly, stock, forends, safety, barrel with spacer. These shotguns are more durably made than the 870 Express and 870P. Example: Take the recoil pad off your Protector and you can see how thick the polymer stock is compared to the thin and hollow ones on the 870. Also there are brass threaded insert in the stock for the machine screws that hold the recoil pad on. This is a more durable and costly setup than using wood screws in plastic. The recoil pad is also nicer than the standard pad on an Express. They have a nicer machined aluminum trigger guard than the compressed aluminum powder guard you find on the 870P and the plastic one on the Express. I could go on with more. You need to look your Protector over again with more objective eyes.

Here is a picture of a Hawk 982 with a 870 barrel installed with the use of a spacer to take up the space between the barrel ring and mag cap. The barrel is drop in fit with spacer. The 982 bolt also works with a 870 barrel.

GC

Now thats good to know on the spacer.

In all fairness to Remington, though, plastics don't seem to be one of the strong points for Chinese products - the Norinco plastic might be thicker because it needs to be thicker.

After handling a number of 870 Expresses this weekend, I have no interest in buying a new one. And I kick myself for selling my 870P several years ago.

woody d
01-26-10, 11:34
my "budget" scattergun will still be an 870 Express. no need to fix what aint broken.

Rider79
01-26-10, 21:25
Max100,

Can I put a Surefire forend on my 982 with little problems?

Thanks.

Multitaskertools
01-26-10, 22:12
http://www.hawkindustries.com.cn/english/cpmore.asp?cpclasstype=Law%20Enforcement

in case y'all havent seen their website before

DragonDoc
03-07-10, 14:06

GC

What kind of spacer did you use?

jhurt
03-07-10, 16:20
If I get a Norinco it will be this one. Then I'll pistol-grip it, get a scabbard and mount it on my harley.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn2/jjhhuurrtt/11662.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn2/jjhhuurrtt/moviesfacts_001_pic07.jpg

KalashniKEV
03-08-10, 14:12
I have been working with these shotguns for 7 years now.

Max,

Email sent!

Erik 1
03-08-10, 14:30
If I get a Norinco it will be this one. Then I'll pistol-grip it, get a scabbard and mount it on my harley.

I'm ashamed to say how much I want one.

woody d
03-09-10, 08:02

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn2/jjhhuurrtt/11662.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn2/jjhhuurrtt/moviesfacts_001_pic07.jpgthat is one sweet looking scattergun, anyone know of any quality issues? it would be a shame to get the Terminator 2 gun and it be nothing but a wall hanger

DragonDoc
03-12-10, 12:32

Try Bud's Gun shop on the net. I picked one up for $187 including shipping.

Reddevil
04-16-10, 20:25
I just bought one of these last month. Overall I'm very happy with it, but I need to replace the forend tube assembly because the factory assembly bent when trying to install an 870 forend. I'm finding less and less parts from the 870 actually fit this thing without some filing or fitting. Even the 870 stocks don't fit properly. I just bought a factory 870 forend assembly from Brownells and it will not fit the Hawk 982. It appears the arms that go into the receiver are too narrow and a bit too high to fit into the grooves in the receiver. Anyone ever swap out forend assemblies with an 870? I'd like to know which one I need to get to fit properly. I called IAC and they don't have any spare forend assemblies. I'm about fed up with it at this point. A $200 shotgun has quickly turned into a $400 paperweight after replacing the stock, magazine extension and finding a compatible forend assembly.

MAX100
04-16-10, 22:24
I just bought a factory 870 forend assembly from Brownells and it will not fit the Hawk 982.

You need to get the correct 870 forend assembly for the 982. The new Style sold at Midway USA is the correct one I believe.

Just to clear some things up. All 870 parts will fit the Hawk 982. You have to get the correct 870 forend assembly for it. I have installed a new style 870 forend assembly & bolt on my Hawk 982 and they were a drop in fit. The forend tube is a little larger diameter on the 982 so 870 forends will be a very tight fit. I have a Hogue forend on mine right now and had to tap it on with a rubber mallet. To remove it I took a socket the same diameter as the metal forend tube and tapped it out of the plastic forend.

I have had these accessories & parts on my 982 at time or another: 870 Hogue forend and stock, 870 ArmsTech LLC stock adapter, Mesa Stock Adapter, 870 SpeedFeed LE short pistol stock, 870 Vang oversize safety, 870 trigger guard assembly, forend assembly & bolt, 870 mag cap, 870 receiver stud & 870 heat shield. I have some 982 with Knoxx stock & Surefire forends.

GC

KalashniKEV
04-21-10, 17:06
Just to clear some things up. All 870 parts will fit the Hawk 982.

I'm with you 100% on the quality of the gun, but not every part interchanges.

At close to 1000 shells down my "Hawk 88" (Hawk 982/ Norinco 870) I started experiencing FTE and FTX. The most common failure was a positive extraction with the extractor jumping over the rim once the shell reached the ejector. FTX only occurred when I was pumping really hard, which obviously was unacceptable.

All symptoms pointed to the extractor, so after pricing out a complete bolt on Midway ($$$), I figured an extractor upgrade would do the trick. There was an excellent youtube that demonstrated how simple it was, and I ordered a Mariner spring, detent, and extractor from Midway.

I immediately recognized that the parts were not the same, and so I photographed them. The spring was shorter, the detent was thicker and shorter, and the extractor was beefier (Note- neither extractor was MIM). Photo is below:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Stag%20Lefty/IMG_0083.jpg

I set the spring in place and dropped in the detent, which went in maybe 25% of the correct depth by simply dropping in. Next, without even thinking, I pushed on the detent with my jeweler's screwdriver to test the spring tension and set the detent... BIG MISTAKE!

It appears that the channel was wider at the mouth than at the bottom, and pushing on the detent, gentle as it was, only set it there permanently. One snapped multipier, one mangled set of needlenose later, I was dremeling the sides flat to get better purchase on the detent. This is also after an overnight bath in CLP, an overnight trip to the freezer, and much foul language.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/IMG_0110.jpg

I eventually dremeled the whole thing off and hit one end with a punch hoping to rotate the "nub" but no deal. I will eventually drill out the new detent, and maybe replace with the old one for a spare bolt just so I can declare victory over this out-of-spec Chinese bolt.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/IMG_0108.jpg

In the meantime I picked up a Wingmaster bolt for $30 shipped and I'm MUCH more confident in the weapon now. I'm back in business:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/IMG_0112.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/IMG_0114.jpg

MAX100
04-22-10, 20:00
You found one part that wouldn't fit on one gun. Believe it or not I have seen a 870 extractor that wasn't a drop in fit on a 870 bolt, it had to be modified to fit. Some of the Hawk 982 & Pardner pump have metric thread pattern receiver studs, but only a few. Also the forend tube on the Hawk 982 is a little larger in diameter than the 870. There are a few very minor differences but only a few.

The Wingmaster bolt dropped right in!

Sorry but I believe it was a mistake to do what you did to the Hawk bolt. You ruined perfectly good bolt.

GC

Skunkworks
05-01-10, 17:05
Just ordered a Hawk 982 from my local shop.Was on sale for $197+ tax.Cant wait to try it out.:cool:
Max, i will be contacting you soon for one of your extension kits.

bigghoss
06-02-10, 18:03
well I've had one for a few months now and I like it. the action was stiff but I figured it just needed to be broken in. turns out I didn't notice the cosmoline on the mag tube under the pump. oops.

took the gun apart and cleaned off the tube, inside the pump, inside the receiver, and the bolt. I haven't run many rounds through it so it still needs to break in.

Norinco
06-02-10, 18:52
Love my Norinco! Well over 400 rounds through it and as you can see I haven’t babied it.
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2917/003pnq.jpg