PDA

View Full Version : CHF Chrome Lined Lo-Pro Gas Block Barrel 5.56: 14.5 SKINNY Barrel - Pros / Cons

Armadillo
01-24-23, 17:41
Noveske is out of the regular Afghan 14.5 but they DO have the SKINNY Afghan 14.5.

Can somebody tell me the Pros and Cons of the skinny?

It saves about 5 ounces.

Do you think it will last about as long as the regular Afghan that is thicker?

No more than 3 mag dumps before a long break.

How about compared to the Stainless?

https://noveske.com/products/chf-chrome-lined-lo-pro-barrel/?attribute_barrel-length=10.5%22%20Shorty&attribute_headspaced-bolt=No
(See drop down menu)

vicious_cb
01-24-23, 19:24
Pencil barrels are great for handling and carrying but if you are going to shoot alot of rounds through it or train with it alot you are going to be taking a hit on long term barrel life. Barrel gets hotter faster = more/faster throat erosion which is what kills your barrel sooner.

Stainless = greater accuracy potential but doesnt last as long, stainless steels are less resistant to throat erosion and heat even worse than a chrome lined pencil barrel.

Todd.K
01-24-23, 20:51
Pencil barrels are great for handling and carrying but if you are going to shoot alot of rounds through it or train with it alot you are going to be taking a hit on long term barrel life...

Pencil = Government profile where it matters for heat and strength. People rarely say the things about an M4 profile barrel that are commonly said about pencil barrels.

Armadillo
01-24-23, 21:09
These uppers are all going in storage anyway.

I'd say for the rest of my life I wont shoot more than 20,000 rounds as I don't train as much as when I was younger.

I have 10,000 on my current Noveske that I don't want to give up. 10,000 more on that and 10,000 more on they next one and I'll be in assisted living (no guns allowed).

I just want the most awesome barrel under the current retail conditions.

I don't need accuracy so don't need stainless.

I think I'll be happy with the Skinny Profile.

I DO look forward to MORE COMMENTS!!!

vicious_cb
01-24-23, 21:48
Pencil = Government profile where it matters for heat and strength. People rarely say the things about an M4 profile barrel that are commonly said about pencil barrels.

True, though I don't really know what the barrel life differences are between pencil and gov't profile. Theoretically the extra mass on the forward end of gov't profile should help absorb some of that heat but how much it helps keep things cool at the chamber end I don't really know. Maybe someone like Lysander and expand on this.

For example we do know that the thicker SOCOM profile barrels were adopted specifically for barrel life longevity over gov't profile but not sure where pencil profile play into this.

These uppers are all going in storage anyway.

I'd say for the rest of my life I wont shoot more than 20,000 rounds as I don't train as much as when I was younger.

I have 10,000 on my current Noveske that I don't want to give up. 10,000 more on that and 10,000 more on they next one and I'll be in assisted living (no guns allowed).

I DO look forward to MORE COMMENTS!!!

Well then enjoy the advantages of having a very nice handling lighter AR. Id make the same choice if I knew I wasnt going to be hard on the barrel.

markm
01-25-23, 08:07

Noveske has never been the most awesome barrel. Even prior to JN's passing. I've shot several and none of them impressed me. They weren't BAD, but not worth premium money.

Have you thought about the BCM 14.5 ELW? That profile is low weight, but tapered from the chamber down. I run one, and it heats up faster than a fat barrel, but it also cools down faster too.

docsherm
01-25-23, 09:09
Noveske is out of the regular Afghan 14.5 but they DO have the SKINNY Afghan 14.5.

Can somebody tell me the Pros and Cons of the skinny?

It saves about 5 ounces.

Do you think it will last about as long as the regular Afghan that is thicker?

No more than 3 mag dumps before a long break.

How about compared to the Stainless?

https://noveske.com/products/chf-chrome-lined-lo-pro-barrel/?attribute_barrel-length=10.5%22%20Shorty&attribute_headspaced-bolt=No
(See drop down menu)

Unless you plan to run it full auto then it will be fine. It will take semi auto mag dumps with no issues. The life will be very long. And by life I mean the pattern my open up to larger then 2 MOA (the starting point for MANY brands) after 25k rounds.

Send it...
01-25-23, 11:51
I have a Noveske Skinny MOE rifle that shoots fantastic with 70 TSX and 77 Nosler's. Would buy again no question. 1.5" moa ish. Semi auto mag dumps don't happen with the copper, but with 77's its not to noticeable.

Todd.K
01-25-23, 12:30
For example we do know that the thicker SOCOM profile barrels were adopted specifically for barrel life longevity over gov't profile but not sure where pencil profile play into this.

The SOCOM was actually done for more FA until barrel failure, not service life.

vicious_cb
01-25-23, 14:04

I thought that too until I saw the 9-holes SOCOM barrel video where they brought up the fact that the gas tube would blow at the same time under full auto regardless of barrel profile. Never thought about that before.
Then backed by Jeff Gurwhich stated that the Crane briefings on the Block II barrel was about durability and service life. Strange choice since SOCOM has more maintainers and money you would think they rather have the operator carry a lighter rifle and just replace worn barrels but I guess even Crane wants to save money on parts.

Starts at 17:00

https://youtu.be/aPo6zcGTJ04?t=1071

Hammer_Man
01-26-23, 12:28
Noveske Afghan stainless medium contour, in stock at Midway USA:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003469450?pid=887158

Primary Arms has them in stock as well:
https://www.primaryarms.com/noveske-14-5-afghan-5-56mm-stainless-barrel-nv07000054

On the subject of SOCOM barrels, I came across a Luth AR branded M4 SOCOM barrel, I think on Primary Arms or Optics Planet. Anybody know who makes them for Luth AR?

Armadillo
01-26-23, 12:39
Noveske Afghan stainless medium contour, in stock at Midway USA:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003469450?pid=887158

Primary Arms has them in stock as well:
https://www.primaryarms.com/noveske-14-5-afghan-5-56mm-stainless-barrel-nv07000054

On the subject of SOCOM barrels, I came across a Luth AR branded M4 SOCOM barrel, I think on Primary Arms or Optics Planet. Anybody know who makes them for Luth AR?

Thank You Hammer!

I don't want want SS though.

Only want CHF.

Just looking for positive affirmation for the CHF Skinny Profile vs. the regular kind.

I am a very particular person and have a lot of hangups when things are not as perfect as I want.

I'm just hoping I can live with this decision to get the Skinny Profile.

ABNAK
01-27-23, 20:17
Noveske has never been the most awesome barrel. Even prior to JN's passing. I've shot several and none of them impressed me. They weren't BAD, but not worth premium money.

Have you thought about the BCM 14.5 ELW? That profile is low weight, but tapered from the chamber down. I run one, and it heats up faster than a fat barrel, but it also cools down faster too.

I have two (one with the GB pinned by ADCO and the other by John Thomas; don't like set-screws). While I am far from an engineering expert, it seems like the most sound barrel profile. Heavier back where the heat is greatest, then gradually thinning out and making the weapon considerably less front-heavy.

ABNAK
01-27-23, 20:25

Wasn't SOCOM already looking at the profile that carries their name for a bit before the battle at Wanat in 2008, which was what ultimately pushed "Big Army" onto the bandwagon? Please correct if wrong.

RUTGERS95
01-27-23, 20:25
I thought that too until I saw the 9-holes SOCOM barrel video where they brought up the fact that the gas tube would blow at the same time under full auto regardless of barrel profile. Never thought about that before.
Then backed by Jeff Gurwhich stated that the Crane briefings on the Block II barrel was about durability and service life. Strange choice since SOCOM has more maintainers and money you would think they rather have the operator carry a lighter rifle and just replace worn barrels but I guess even Crane wants to save money on parts.

Starts at 17:00

https://youtu.be/aPo6zcGTJ04?t=1071

I think it's both or rather both benefits but the gas tube is the weak link in the system

RUTGERS95
01-27-23, 20:29
also agree on the premium price of noveske barrels. Mine shot great but not worth the premium price as I found the differences to be immaterial

the worst barrels I've ever used were bcm to be honest, least accurate of all barrels I've used in pencil profile

Colts are great, the spikes pistol pencil barrel or whatever the heck they call it is lights out excellent. CA makes fantastic barrels but not really a pencil profile

mr h
01-28-23, 06:14
the only skinny profile i’ve had was a faxon 16” and while they are light and handy, the accuracy really fell off after it warmed up.

gov profile seems to be a good compromise. light enough yet stiff enough.

vicious_cb
01-28-23, 22:47
also agree on the premium price of noveske barrels. Mine shot great but not worth the premium price as I found the differences to be immaterial

the worst barrels I've ever used were bcm to be honest, least accurate of all barrels I've used in pencil profile

Colts are great, the spikes pistol pencil barrel or whatever the heck they call it is lights out excellent. CA makes fantastic barrels but not really a pencil profile

They were on sale during Black Friday for like $360 which includes a pinned gas block and gas tube, for an FN made CHF barrel thats a steal.

IALoder
01-29-23, 11:30
I'm surprised nobody has recommended the spikes optimum CHF barrels. Good profile, light, shoot very well, FN made. My 16" with pinned Geissele gas block shoots very well cold or hot.

I also don't think the skinny profile will be much of a problem with your max 3 mag dumps then a long break.

Cokie
01-29-23, 13:12
I want a BCM ELW style barrel, but my last bcm was 4 moa.

titsonritz
01-29-23, 14:38
I want a BCM ELW style barrel, but my last bcm was 4 moa.

Check out the Criterion Core series.

OutofBatt3ry
01-29-23, 20:44
Money being no object, DD (Which is funny because it's substantially cheaper than the Noveski)

https://danieldefense.com/14-5-5-56mm-1-7-gov-profile.html

In stock with Pre-mounted FSB as of this posting. My DD CL barrels are by far the most accurate barrels I own.

(available in a couple different flavors as far as profile/GB/gas length config)

Cokie
01-29-23, 20:49
Mine 2 daniels have been under 2 moa. I just wish they had .625 gas block journals

OutofBatt3ry
01-29-23, 20:53
Mine 2 daniels have been under 2 moa. I just wish they had .625 gas block journals

My 14.5" and 16" are just a tick over 1" at 100 yards with a (cheap)12x scope and 77gr. Even with bulk 193, I'm under two. Can't complain.