PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff’s association's nation wide are getting tired of the anti 2A BS

WillBrink
01-31-23, 07:23
Good vid on Sheriff’s associations saying no to recent state wide gun laws that are un constitutional, and Arkansas leading the way big time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYn_ULZfF08

seb5
01-31-23, 09:20
I'm proud to say that I was one of two that brought that to our board and a vote of the Sheriffs. A friend of mine wrote the response. Let's hope it continues.

markm
01-31-23, 09:40
There does need to be an aggressive push back on the wave of lunatic leftist bull crap of late!!

Miami_JBT
01-31-23, 09:44
Not in FL, the FSA is anti-gun.

hotbiggun42
01-31-23, 09:51
When i lived in washington st the police said the same thing. They did say they would enforce it if they needed to have a reason to arrest someone.
Also the sherrifs who refused to enforce were taken out by the police unions and judges.

LoboTBL
01-31-23, 12:18
When manufacturers stop selling items to LE that are banned for everyone else, LE support for anti 2A legislation will be reduced significantly. Just because laws say LE can possess items that are banned for everyone else doesn't mean that manufacturers have to sell to LE.

hotbiggun42
01-31-23, 12:24
When manufacturers stop selling items to LE that are banned for everyone else, LE support for anti 2A legislation will be reduced significantly. Just because laws say LE can possess items that are banned for everyone else doesn't mean that manufacturers have to sell to LE.

Manufactures are selling to BLM and Antifa. They are in it for the money.

LoboTBL
01-31-23, 12:30
Manufacturers and retailers will generally sell anything to anyone who is not prohibited. It doesn't mean they couldn't take a principled stand. Barrett did it. Not only do most retailers and manufacturers sell items to LE that are banned to others though, many do so at a discounted price.

I think it is well intentioned but it doesn't make it right.

chuckman
01-31-23, 12:43
We have some local sheriffs who are generally anti-2A. They are against permitless purchase and concealed carry. Now, some of our more rural counties? They tend to be more conservative and pro-2A. Just not around my parts.

WillBrink
01-31-23, 12:45
Manufactures are selling to BLM and Antifa. They are in it for the money.

How do they know they are selling to them? Does the guy at the counter ask for their BLM and ANTIFA membership cards?

ChattanoogaPhil
01-31-23, 13:31
Jan 30

“Our Constitution protects gun ownership rights and the ability to carry a firearm,” said Hernando County Sheriff and Florida Sheriffs Association President Al Nienhuis. “Violent career criminals are not applying for a state permit to carry a gun. Removing the permitting process will assist our law-abiding citizens with the protections they need to defend themselves and their families from those criminals who intend to do them harm. The Florida Sheriffs Association supports constitutional permitless carry, and we look forward to working with Governor DeSantis and the Legislature on this issue.”

https://ssrnews.com/florida-moves-closer-to-concealed-carry-of-firearms-without-permits/

jsbhike
01-31-23, 13:39
Manufacturers and retailers will generally sell anything to anyone who is not prohibited. It doesn't mean they couldn't take a principled stand. Barrett did it. Not only do most retailers and manufacturers sell items to LE that are banned to others though, many do so at a discounted price.

I think it is well intentioned but it doesn't make it right.

And it is almost bizarre because sales are roughly 65% private vs. 35% police now. Pre 2001 it was about 80% private vs. 20% LE.

Send someone like Colion Noir and the most rabidly anti gun LE to a shop to buy $1000 rifle and there is a decent chance the LE is getting it for $900.

Artos
01-31-23, 19:00
Sheriff going on record...greatness.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LuxVidebis/status/1597806937730478082

ThirdWatcher
02-01-23, 01:13
When i lived in washington st the police said the same thing. They did say they would enforce it if they needed to have a reason to arrest someone.
Also the sherrifs who refused to enforce were taken out by the police unions and judges.

The Washington State Sheriff’s Association recently released a statement in support of our 2A Rights. Our Sheriff’s (including the honorable Sheriff in the County in which I reside) are the last threshold against the tyranny that comes out of Olympia in the Peoples Republik of Washington.

prepare
02-01-23, 04:30
Glad to see this because its easier to conquer a people who comply. It will be interesting to see if people choose comfort over liberty.

Miami_JBT
02-01-23, 07:45
Jan 30

“Our Constitution protects gun ownership rights and the ability to carry a firearm,” said Hernando County Sheriff and Florida Sheriffs Association President Al Nienhuis. “Violent career criminals are not applying for a state permit to carry a gun. Removing the permitting process will assist our law-abiding citizens with the protections they need to defend themselves and their families from those criminals who intend to do them harm. The Florida Sheriffs Association supports constitutional permitless carry, and we look forward to working with Governor DeSantis and the Legislature on this issue.”

https://ssrnews.com/florida-moves-closer-to-concealed-carry-of-firearms-without-permits/

All a dog and pony show.

Since there are so many citizens with concealed carry permits now, and with all the talk of open carry, Nienhuis said such a course gives citizens more knowledge about the law.

Nienhuis said he isn’t a big fan of open carry himself.

“To me, it should be illegal to ‘open carry’ your firearm,” he said.

https://www.suncoastnews.com/news/hernando-sheriff-speaks-at-brooksville-matters-event/article_c7525ee4-90c4-11ec-82e9-97666fed013b.html

Legislation that would change how Floridians may legally carry a firearm is ready for a vote in the state House of Representatives and still in committee in the Senate.

But a majority of members of the Florida Sheriffs Association hope the proposed law doesn’t go into effect.

The association said the new law would make it difficult for police officers to ensure public safety.

The group also criticized the bills for omitting requirements for gun training and holstering.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/news/2016/jan/25/florida-sheriffs-association-against-open-carry-bill/

davidjinks
02-01-23, 07:54
I have yet to hear anything from our Sheriff. PA (at least Luzerne County) got rid of elected Sheriffs. We now have what’s called “Home Rule” where they’re appointed by County officials. I believe that has something to do with the current silence.

BoringGuy45
02-01-23, 09:49
I have yet to hear anything from our Sheriff. PA (at least Luzerne County) got rid of elected Sheriffs. We now have what’s called “Home Rule” where they’re appointed by County officials. I believe that has something to do with the current silence.

Many of the counties still elect sheriffs. At any rate, sheriffs in PA are weak anyway and hold almost no law enforcement power.

davidjinks
02-01-23, 09:54
I will partially agree with you. Off the street deputies who go to the Sheriffs academy do lack the “enforcement” mentality. Of course, on thing I’ve noticed about Sheriffs north of the Mason Dixon line, they’re used more for court security and prisoner transport. South of the Mason Dixon, no one messes with the SD. At least in my experience from living in mostly southern states while in the military.

Those who are deputies and MPOETC certified are a different breed.

Many of the counties still elect sheriffs. At any rate, sheriffs in PA are weak anyway and hold almost no law enforcement power.

Averageman
02-01-23, 10:25
I think you've got City Sherriff's and Country Sherriff's.
Some East and up North are sitting in Court Houses and Jails and many in the South and West are actively patrolling our rural Couties.
If it takes you twenty minutes in the rural South West to answer a 911 call you can appreciate a 30 round magazine. If you're sitting on your keister guarding prisoners or keeping order in the Court everyone outside of your influence is a Right Wing Nut.

titsonritz
02-01-23, 15:17
Sheriff Bob Songer of Klickitat County, WA has been telling the anti-2A crowd to go to hell for years now.
https://www.yakimaherald.com/news/local/drawing-a-line-klickitat-county-sheriff-says-he-wont-enforce-washingtons-new-gun-law/article_00e8a452-238f-11e9-be8e-5312c697f2a0.html

jsbhike
02-01-23, 16:34
I think you've got City Sherriff's and Country Sherriff's.
Some East and up North are sitting in Court Houses and Jails and many in the South and West are actively patrolling our rural Couties.
If it takes you twenty minutes in the rural South West to answer a 911 call you can appreciate a 30 round magazine. If you're sitting on your keister guarding prisoners or keeping order in the Court everyone outside of your influence is a Right Wing Nut.

From what I have seen mentioned in GA and KY, County Sheriff is an elected office. City police are lead by a chief appointed by a mayor.

There are County Police, but no clue how their leader becomes a leader. The mentions I have seen of that are Glynn Co. GA and Jefferson County KY. The Jefferson County KY police are no longer a thing after getting rolled in to Louisville Metro.

jsbhike
02-01-23, 16:43

The opposition to sheriffs gets mentioned in this interview with Navajo County AZ Sheriff David Clouse. He sounds similar in mindset to Richard Mack which equals a hell of a lot different than most LE interviews I have seen. Interesting info for anyone who has watched Longmire also.

https://youtu.be/dsP4U09XClg

Stickman
02-02-23, 15:28

Really? Name three counties who had their ELECTED SHERIFF removed by a police union or judge. This should be an easy one, right? Sheriffs are elected, which is what we are talking about here.

If this changed to Police Chief suddenly instead of what the OP is talking about, I would be asking the same question, but its not.

Stickman
02-02-23, 15:32

Agreed, in the places who elect a Sheriff who is actually the law of the county, and does more than supervise a jail or something along those lines, we find elected Sheriffs more than willing to stand up to a council. Sheriffs understand they are elected, and don't overly care what other elected official think. They care even less about what non elected officials think.

Police Chiefs however, most often are found sucking at the tit of the city counsel, mayor, city manager, or whomever it is who has control over their job.

Stickman
02-02-23, 15:34
From what I have seen mentioned in GA and KY, County Sheriff is an elected office. City police are lead by a chief appointed by a mayor.

There are County Police, but no clue how their leader becomes a leader. The mentions I have seen of that are Glynn Co. GA and Jefferson County KY. The Jefferson County KY police are no longer a thing after getting rolled in to Louisville Metro.

Last I heard, Lexington did the same thing. There are pros and cons, and what is best for the citizens may or may not come into play. I'll point out, when a city covers most of the county, it can be hard for taxpayers to find validation for two levels of LE doing the same thing.

jsbhike
02-02-23, 16:33
Agreed, in the places who elect a Sheriff who is actually the law of the county, and does more than supervise a jail or something along those lines, we find elected Sheriffs more than willing to stand up to a council. Sheriffs understand they are elected, and don't overly care what other elected official think. They care even less about what non elected officials think.

Police Chiefs however, most often are found sucking at the tit of the city counsel, mayor, city manager, or whomever it is who has control over their job.

And that train of thought has got me labeled as anti-LE.

Sent from my SM-A125U using Tapatalk

jsbhike
02-02-23, 16:47
Last I heard, Lexington did the same thing. There are pros and cons, and what is best for the citizens may or may not come into play. I'll point out, when a city covers most of the county, it can be hard for taxpayers to find validation for two levels of LE doing the same thing.Yes Fayette has been metro for awhile with a corresponding downplay of the sheriff's office.

I have mentioned here before Fayette and Jefferson County were 2 of the main causes for the grass roots effort for concealed carry here due to harassing open carriers and then were a major source of opposition to the concealed carry law.

Lexington Metro(and i think louisville did this as well) started warehousing confiscated firearms in the early 2000s when the law went in to effect that confiscated firearms were to be auctioned off to pay for LE body armor instead of being destroyed. Lexington kept that bs up for a year or so until the legislature got back in session and stuck a time limit on how long a confiscated firearm could be stored until no longer needed as evidence. Surprisingly that did the trick even though I don't recall a penalty being attached for violating it

ThirdWatcher
02-02-23, 19:46
AFAIK, the only Sheriff in WA that is appointed in the King County Sheriff (Seattle) and the other thirty-eight are elected. The AG recently went after the Pierce County Sheriff (Tacoma) but evidently the jury saw it for what it was (politically motivated, IMHO) and acquitted him. We have some very good Sheriffs in WA.

jsbhike
02-16-23, 16:14
Yes Fayette has been metro for awhile with a corresponding downplay of the sheriff's office.

I have mentioned here before Fayette and Jefferson County were 2 of the main causes for the grass roots effort for concealed carry here due to harassing open carriers and then were a major source of opposition to the concealed carry law.

Lexington Metro(and i think louisville did this as well) started warehousing confiscated firearms in the early 2000s when the law went in to effect that confiscated firearms were to be auctioned off to pay for LE body armor instead of being destroyed. Lexington kept that bs up for a year or so until the legislature got back in session and stuck a time limit on how long a confiscated firearm could be stored until no longer needed as evidence. Surprisingly that did the trick even though I don't recall a penalty being attached for violating it

SS,DD.

https://www.wlky.com/amp/article/guns-louisville-firing-pins-crime-greenberg-violence/42937097

Averageman
02-16-23, 17:32
I live in a rural area with lots of traffic on the nearby FM road.
As time went on we got a trailer park and a mini-mart and then the meth hit our area hard. Things dropped off really quick as the meth seemed to soak the trailer park folks overnight. Lots of drama inclusing a Christmas fire in the trailer park and the occasional meth head at my door begging for money.
One afternoon I found a brown bag with some meth and needles laying in my side yard. I called the Sherriff and an hour later a Deputy shows up, he wasn't really impressed, explained how this was a part of a traffic stop earlier and that they, all 6 Deputies were overwhelmed.
He asked me if I had a gun and he said keep it loaded.

My point is in rural area's your dealing with everything to freaked out Meth Heads to Livestock. You don't get a break and it's pretty much a great job, but as soon as things come in like Meth, it all goes to hell and it's call to call all day and night long.
If you can't count on yourself for the 20 + minutes it's going to take for them to get there. maybe you need more and bigger guns and magazines.

Alex V
02-16-23, 18:13
I just don’t know how much I trust them.

Before the election I emailed my sherif and he claimed to be pro 2A and said he would not support alphabet agency efforts in our county, but what’s going to happen if that claim is out to the test?

utahjeepr
02-17-23, 06:46
I live in a rural area with lots of traffic on the nearby FM road.
As time went on we got a trailer park and a mini-mart and then the meth hit our area hard. Things dropped off really quick as the meth seemed to soak the trailer park folks overnight. Lots of drama inclusing a Christmas fire in the trailer park and the occasional meth head at my door begging for money.
One afternoon I found a brown bag with some meth and needles laying in my side yard. I called the Sherriff and an hour later a Deputy shows up, he wasn't really impressed, explained how this was a part of a traffic stop earlier and that they, all 6 Deputies were overwhelmed.
He asked me if I had a gun and he said keep it loaded.

My point is in rural area's your dealing with everything to freaked out Meth Heads to Livestock. You don't get a break and it's pretty much a great job, but as soon as things come in like Meth, it all goes to hell and it's call to call all day and night long.
If you can't count on yourself for the 20 + minutes it's going to take for them to get there. maybe you need more and bigger guns and magazines.

I know a fair number of our Sheriff's Deputies. Around here the Sheriff also contracts with some of the cities and towns to act as the police department. A deputy can literally jump from a drug raid to trespass call, then to a freeway shoot-out, and finish his shift with loose cows on the road. It's a crazy job.

Oh, and FM road? "Tell me you live in Texas without telling me you live in Texas." ;)

Miami_JBT
02-17-23, 18:35
Really? Name three counties who had their ELECTED SHERIFF removed by a police union or judge. This should be an easy one, right? Sheriffs are elected, which is what we are talking about here.

If this changed to Police Chief suddenly instead of what the OP is talking about, I would be asking the same question, but its not.

Sheriff Scott Israel of Broward County, FL and Sheriff Darryl Daniels of Clay County, FL was removed by Gov. DeSantis.

ChattanoogaPhil
02-17-23, 20:13
Over a decade ago our county sheriff, Billy Long, was removed by the Feds for extortion (protection racket), money laundering, drugs and a host of other things including giving a gun to a felon. Does that count?

jsbhike
02-18-23, 09:08
I recall this BS done by LE groups in regards to Lautenberg and other crap.

https://youtu.be/071XRQDh_-Y

kerplode
02-18-23, 11:18
The sheriff of our county is a complete Dem stooge and just an all around asshole. He would absolutely relish the opportunity to hem up a bunch of people for gun violations. I'm sure he can hardly contain his glee over all the shit currently working its way through Santa Fe.

jsbhike
02-18-23, 12:34
The sheriff of our county is a complete Dem stooge and just an all around asshole. He would absolutely relish the opportunity to hem up a bunch of people for gun violations. I'm sure he can hardly contain his glee over all the shit currently working its way through Santa Fe.

No doubt there are plenty, but still not as much of a sure thing as police carrying out the whims of president/governor/mayor. Separating powers/authority is at least somewhat better.