PDA

View Full Version : The land of the frozen…

camoman
01-31-23, 09:04
I’m staying home today due to the fact that my car won’t start. To tell you the truth, I don’t know what to do with myself lol. I put the charger on my battery, and now I’m just bored as heck! 14 below zero is no fun for anyone.. Oh Wisconsin, why do you have to be so cold?

hotbiggun42
01-31-23, 09:12
In my day we would walk to work.

flenna
01-31-23, 09:19
In my day we would walk to work.

Uphill. Both ways. Through 4 feet of snow.

WillieThom
01-31-23, 09:20
Uphill. Both ways. Through 4 feet of snow.

Barefoot.

camoman
01-31-23, 09:27
Haha! Nope, just nope.

Hank6046
01-31-23, 09:35
I’m staying home today due to the fact that my car won’t start. To tell you the truth, I don’t know what to do with myself lol. I put the charger on my battery, and now I’m just bored as heck! 14 below zero is no fun for anyone.. Oh Wisconsin, why do you have to be so cold?

I just got back from Ice fishing in Northern MN, I brought the cold back with me. It's not so bad, plus it being Wisconsin it will be 30+ in a few days anyway

chuckman
01-31-23, 09:42

My family (dad's side) is from Rhinelander north to the UP, then on both sides of the UP, up to Duluth. They love it. Me, I like to visit, but after a few days of the cold and snow always ready to get back to NC. They are all big outdoors folks. I am too, but my tolerance for the cold has gotten worse as I have gotten older and with cancer. Now my wife is like, "you want to take a walk?" I say, "not if it's under 50 I don't."

mack7.62
01-31-23, 10:02
You need an electric car it would work great.(sarc)

camoman
01-31-23, 10:07
You need an electric car it would work great.(sarc)
Bahahahahaha!!! That was a good one!

utahjeepr
01-31-23, 12:44
Working up in Wyoming I would take my battery into the hotel room at night and plug in my gas truck. Battery heaters are also a thing. Hopefully yours didn't freeze, if so it's done. Freeze point all depends on the state of charge.

camoman
01-31-23, 13:16
Working up in Wyoming I would take my battery into the hotel room at night and plug in my gas truck. Battery heaters are also a thing. Hopefully yours didn't freeze, if so it's done. Freeze point all depends on the state of charge.

I remember in the 90s I used to have this guy I worked for, who’d do anything to make a buck. He used to drive around on the coldest days with big sheets of cardboard, and his big torpedo heater…and charge people $10 to thaw out their vehicles, lol. That guy was the biggest shister I’ve ever met.

chuckman
01-31-23, 13:47

My uncle was a park ranger in northern Wisconsin, his park truck had a Cummins diesel, he had it plugged into a cord that ran through the wall into his kitchen to keep the glow plugs warm so it would start.

jsbhike
01-31-23, 13:58
I just got back from Ice fishing in Northern MN, I brought the cold back with me. It's not so bad, plus it being Wisconsin it will be 30+ in a few days anyway

Try a dating app or something. Don't get your truck, shanty, and stool seized in a bust.

https://youtu.be/IOVNlvVEE7c

DG23
01-31-23, 14:20
Haha! Nope, just nope.

Yeah dude...

WITH hoodrats freaking shooting at us while we were trying to get there... :)

Watrdawg
01-31-23, 14:51
My family (dad's side) is from Rhinelander north to the UP, then on both sides of the UP, up to Duluth. They love it. Me, I like to visit, but after a few days of the cold and snow always ready to get back to NC. They are all big outdoors folks. I am too, but my tolerance for the cold has gotten worse as I have gotten older and with cancer. Now my wife is like, "you want to take a walk?" I say, "not if it's under 50 I don't."

Same here with my family. My Father's side is from Calumet, I was born there also, and my Mother's side is from Sault Ste Marie. Just a bit chilly up there right now!! With the wind chill it's -5 in Calumet.

VIP3R 237
01-31-23, 15:17
It was -27 this morning on my way to work in northern utah. I ain’t built for this.

Watrdawg
01-31-23, 15:31
Wow! How'd you get to work? Team of sled dogs?

Buckaroo
01-31-23, 16:00
Suffering through a foot of snow with four foot drifts, double digit below zero overnight temps, and down with bronchitis here in SE Idaho
Ram diesel (plugged in of course) started and took me to urgent care yesterday so I guess it isn't all bad
Gotta embrace the suck!

Bluto
01-31-23, 17:32
Yeah, I hear ya buddy. I hate the cold. We hit 68 last weekend in south Florida. Was so cold my nipples cut through my shirt!

Coal Dragger
01-31-23, 19:40
It’s hit -30 a few times this year.

My 2007 Toyota Tundra cold soaked in it for 3 days before I got back to my home terminal. Started up on the first try. Battery is well over 10 years old, an old Diehard Platinum absorbed glass mat battery made by Odyssey Batteries. I bought the largest battery I could get clamped on the battery tray, and gained over 200+ cold cranking amps over the stock battery.

If you live in a cold climate just ditch your cheap OEM wet cell battery and buy the biggest AGM you can cram under the hood, or into the trunk where your battery lives. Your life will be easier.

AKDoug
02-01-23, 01:30
My uncle was a park ranger in northern Wisconsin, his park truck had a Cummins diesel, he had it plugged into a cord that ran through the wall into his kitchen to keep the glow plugs warm so it would start. He plugged it in so the block heater could warm the coolant. Cummins pickup engines have grid heaters and no glow plugs.

There's absolutely no reason a maintained gasoline vehicle shouldn't start at -14F. Shit, we don't even plug our vehicles in until -25F.

I have a fleet of personal and business vehicles. No reasons to spend the money on an AGM either. Wet cell does just fine, even when left to sit for weeks as long as you don't have a weird voltage draw.

Coal Dragger
02-01-23, 04:14
I like the AGM for other reasons too. I’ve never had terminal corrosion for example, nor leaking, or sloshing from off road driving.

1_click_off
02-01-23, 05:10
It is miserable when your boogers freeze.

JediGuy
02-01-23, 05:18
Ah, my 2004 Acura TL that I used for work 2015-2019 never even paused more than a moment in Bismarck and Fargo and Minneapolis when temps were -8° - 14°. I put in a new Autozone battery early on in that time frame. Sounds like maybe a battery problem.

JediGuy
02-01-23, 05:20
I remember in the 90s I used to have this guy I worked for, who’d do anything to make a buck. He used to drive around on the coldest days with big sheets of cardboard, and his big torpedo heater…and charge people $10 to thaw out their vehicles, lol. That guy was the biggest shister I’ve ever met.

I dunno, I probably wouldn’t have paid him, but that just sounds like capitalism to me. Unless he was going to his employees to offer that, which would make him a d*ck rather than a scheister.

camoman
02-01-23, 06:26
I dunno, I probably wouldn’t have paid him, but that just sounds like capitalism to me. Unless he was going to his employees to offer that, which would make him a d*ck rather than a scheister.

Oh believe me, that was one of the most honest things the dude did.

davidjinks
02-01-23, 07:51
Coldest I’ve been was -55° in Tok AK. Drove the ALCAN to Fort Richardson AK for my last duty station.

I did not have a block heater nor did I have chock blocks. So I left my Ranger running all night, with the E brake on. Learned the next morning how stupid leaving the E brake on was in those extreme temps.

chuckman
02-01-23, 08:24
He plugged it in so the block heater could warm the coolant. Cummins pickup engines have grid heaters and no glow plugs.

There's absolutely no reason a maintained gasoline vehicle shouldn't start at -14F. Shit, we don't even plug our vehicles in until -25F.

I have a fleet of personal and business vehicles. No reasons to spend the money on an AGM either. Wet cell does just fine, even when left to sit for weeks as long as you don't have a weird voltage draw.

OK, thanks for the clarification. My knowledge of engines--any engines--begins and ends in knowing they are under the hood, which is up front.

camoman
02-01-23, 09:18
Coldest I’ve been was -55° in Tok AK. Drove the ALCAN to Fort Richardson AK for my last duty station.

I did not have a block heater nor did I have chock blocks. So I left my Ranger running all night, with the E brake on. Learned the next morning how stupid leaving the E brake on was in those extreme temps.

It was 30 below a few times last year, about two weeks ago it was about 20 below with winds, not sure what the windchills were.
A few years ago we got down to 60 below once during a cold spell that was well below zero for over a week.
6 years ago it was far below zero for around two weeks straight, that was when my youngest was born. That sucked! It was so cold, my heater wasn’t working worth a shit in the Buick…and I had to drive with the windshield fogging up, freezing for 25 miles, with a woman in labor..

davidjinks
02-01-23, 09:56
I ran in to that same problem in AK. Minus the woman in labor. Damn truck wouldn’t get up to temp while driving because it was so cold.

It was 30 below a few times last year, about two weeks ago it was about 20 below with winds, not sure what the windchills were.
A few years ago we got down to 60 below once during a cold spell that was well below zero for over a week.
6 years ago it was far below zero for around two weeks straight, that was when my youngest was born. That sucked! It was so cold, my heater wasn’t working worth a shit in the Buick…and I had to drive with the windshield fogging up, freezing for 25 miles, with a woman in labor..

Hank6046
02-01-23, 10:27

My wife and I had our son coming up on 10 years ago, once all of our family left the right after new years the high was -20, and the dog wouldn't go out and just pee on the tile in foyer of our old house, by the time I cleaned it up it had ice crystals formed on top, the pipes froze in the downstairs bathroom and kitchen and we just had to use the main floor bathroom for hot water, it was horrible, but we laugh about it now. I think every couple needs those trials and tribulations every once and awhile, it builds a stronger bond for sure.

Harpoon
02-01-23, 12:09
I don't see how y'all live up there in the frozen tundra. Call me a wimp, I like it here down below the Mason Dixon line.

camoman
02-01-23, 13:20
I don't see how y'all live up there in the frozen tundra. Call me a wimp, I like it here down below the Mason Dixon line.

Man, I lived in FL for over a decade. Believe me, when I tell you…it isn’t near as easy as it used to be.

Buckaroo
02-01-23, 13:23
I ran in to that same problem in AK. Minus the woman in labor. Damn truck wouldn’t get up to temp while driving because it was so cold.

Did you try putting cardboard in front of the radiator like we did back in the '80s? I haven't had to do that in years but it sure seemed to help.

camoman
02-01-23, 13:24
I tell you, you haven’t experienced life, until you walk out the door in subzero temps with wet hair, and your hair instantly freezes on your head!

utahjeepr
02-01-23, 17:54
I tell you, you haven’t experienced life, until you walk out the door in subzero temps with wet hair, and your hair instantly freezes on your head!

Just don't touch it. We did that to a buddy in school at the bus stop. His frozen frozen hair broke off. Dude looked like Riff Raff from Rocky horror. ;)

davidjinks
02-01-23, 20:27
No I didn’t. I thought about it but never did it. I always saw semis with some type of cover over their grills.

Did you try putting cardboard in front of the radiator like we did back in the '80s? I haven't had to do that in years but it sure seemed to help.

Averageman
02-07-23, 09:17
When I was a kid we lived on the South Shore of Lake Michigan.
I remember my Dad coming home early and going out to get Cocoa my German Shorthair. I was maybe 8 and didn't understand all the concern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQZjC3Xciq0
My Uncle John "Mutt" came out with a bulldozer and dug us out. The snow drifts had covered out one story house. I remember sleding down from the roof to the front yard.

Hank6046
02-07-23, 09:30
Just an update that it's going to be 45 degrees tomorrow in Madison Wi, it isn't supposed to get back into freezing temps for the next 10 days

camoman
02-07-23, 09:39
When I was a kid we lived on the South Shore of Lake Michigan.
I remember my Dad coming home early and going out to get Cocoa my German Shorthair. I was maybe 8 and didn't understand all the concern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQZjC3Xciq0
My Uncle John "Mutt" came out with a bulldozer and dug us out. The snow drifts had covered out one story house. I remember sleding down from the roof to the front yard.

I have faint memories of, I think it was the blizzard of 78. I would have been almost 4. I remember dad opening the door, and digging us out of the house, and I sort of remember snow drifts almost to the top of the light poles. It was something, that’s for sure.
This picture is from that storm.

https://i.postimg.cc/bJM3vVzh/DE782-BCB-9037-418-F-8110-D8-A7490983-EB.jpg (https://postimg.cc/LYtzCTYC)

camoman
02-07-23, 09:44
Just an update that it's going to be 45 degrees tomorrow in Madison Wi, it isn't supposed to get back into freezing temps for the next 10 days

It’s been like spring for the last two days.
That’s the kicker about the Midwest. The weather changes drastically, pretty frequently.
I have witnessed some pretty crazy temperature swings, all within a day.

JediGuy
02-07-23, 12:02
Sunny 60° in NC

Hank6046
02-07-23, 13:38
Sunny 60° in NC

You can have it my friend. For me if you don't have wolves in the woods and a lake that freezes over for pond hockey, I don't know if I want it.

chuckman
02-07-23, 14:30
Sunny 60° in NC

Yes. Today's challenge: which shorts to wear.

I like snow. I like to get a single, big-ass dump, enjoy it for about three days, then back to the (at least) 50s.

AKDoug
02-07-23, 23:08
You can have it my friend. For me if you don't have wolves in the woods and a lake that freezes over for pond hockey, I don't know if I want it.

I agree. Put down 90 miles on the snowmachine today. Went riding with three other guys, all in their 70's, and they were inspirational. Tough old dudes.

hotbiggun42
02-07-23, 23:18
Summerlike here in lauisiana