PDA

View Full Version : Laser bore sight

odugrad
01-31-23, 18:26
Do these work? Are they accurate? I've got a new red dot and am not sure when I'll be getting to the range. I was thinking about getting one of these in the meantime.

Anyone have experience?

vicious_cb
01-31-23, 19:23
Do these work? Are they accurate? I've got a new red dot and am not sure when I'll be getting to the range. I was thinking about getting one of these in the meantime.

Anyone have experience?

It will get you close maybe around 5-6 MOA from POI depending on the load but they will never be a replacement for proper zeroing. Its more for saving ammo and time by getting you on paper but you will still need to fine tune at the range.

davidjinks
02-01-23, 04:14
Depends on which one you have, how well you follow directions, use the proper parts for bore alignment and depth. Also understand that a laser bore sight will only giv straight line distance to the target.

I forgot which one I have but I’ve had it for ~10 years. I only break it out for stubborn rifles/optics combos. I can “usually” get within 3-5” of where I need to be.

Anyone have experience?

One More Time
02-01-23, 07:42
I have one but never use it.
I found it easier to just set up the upper with no BCG.
Then with a 6" or so target about 25 yds away I center the target in the bore and adjust the reticle 1.5" above POI.

bamashooter
02-01-23, 07:47
A good quality one will do fine at short distances (prior to any significant arcing of the bullet). Cartridge-style preferred (imo).

markm
02-01-23, 07:59
I just pull the bolt out and eyeball it. Pretty regularly get inside of 4-5" off if the barrel is stable and there's something to aim at at least 50 yards away.

davidjinks
02-01-23, 08:07
Dude, I’m disappointed in you….you’re doing it all wrong!

Take the scope off the rifle, pull the bolt, put scope in back of chamber, power up, and then zero the scope from there.

Amateurs! :D

I just pull the bolt out and eyeball it. Pretty regularly get inside of 4-5" off if the barrel is stable and there's something to aim at at least 50 yards away.

MA2_Navy_Veteran
02-01-23, 08:18
I can't speak for all of them, but the LBS-300C (AN/PEM-1) works great for all my military clones. Gets me on paper & pretty damn close to where I need to be.
I learned to use this in the military, and even though I had to make my own targets based on those in the manual, it was pretty straight forward & simple.
It has a 1mw red laser, so actually works better under cloudy/dimmer conditions, but even in full sun is visible out to about 100yds (with magnified scope use)
I mostly use it to get a base zero for my A4 clones on 25 meter targets, but as stated above, you still have to confirm at 300m with actual zeroing shots/targets.

For the visually unimaginative...
MA2

gaijin
02-01-23, 08:39
I also “bore sight” long guns if possible (some you can’t remove bolt/upper and bore sight).
Bore sighting gets me on paper at 100 yds.
Depending on optic type, I’m usually “nuts on” in 2 or 3 rds using this method. Red Dots may take a couple more rds.
Add; always looked at Laser Bore Sighter as wasted funds.

markm
02-01-23, 08:42
Dude, I’m disappointed in you….you’re doing it all wrong!

Take the scope off the rifle, pull the bolt, put scope in back of chamber, power up, and then zero the scope from there.

Amateurs! :D

Time to pull some scopes off!!:cool:

davidjinks
02-01-23, 09:16
HELL YEAH!!!

Time to pull some scopes off!!:cool:

odugrad
02-01-23, 13:20
Well, I figured it might be better than nothing. If you had to use one would you get one you place in the muzzle or chamber?

gunnerblue
02-01-23, 13:28
They are only necessary, imo, for rifles with which bore sighting is not possible, e.g. lever actions.

MA2_Navy_Veteran
02-01-23, 13:41
Well, I figured it might be better than nothing. If you had to use one would you get one you place in the muzzle or chamber?

Muzzle... definitely. They are just all around better, though usually more expensive, however there are numerous benefits to the muzzle ones:

They are almost always more accurate.
It's far easier to make adjustments to the beam/unit.
They usually have easily replaced mandrels for use with different calibers.
There is no need to disassemble components from the weapon in order to use it (other than sound suppressors).

And... Most of the military oses even have a dry-fire mode that allows you practice your shots with the help of an assistant who sits by the target & marks the point where the laser "blips" each time you drop the hammer.

MA2

bamashooter
02-02-23, 07:39
Chamber. Muzzle-types are more prone to not being true to chamber / barrel axis.

themonk
02-02-23, 07:46
Great for shotguns sighting in a red dot.

MA2_Navy_Veteran
02-02-23, 09:22
Chamber. Muzzle-types are more prone to not being true to chamber / barrel axis.

This pretty much only applies to those that use plastic mandrels, or if the bore sight is not used correctly (laser not properly secured to the mandrel, or mandrel not properly (fully) seated in the muzzle).

MA2

HKGuns
02-02-23, 17:26
It’s only meant to be a rough in to get you on paper.

A flashlight down the bore will likely get you on paper if you’re not already there……..A properly mounted scope and base should be on paper using a standard sight-in target at 50-100 regardless.

jsbhike
02-02-23, 18:44
Muzzle... definitely. They are just all around better, though usually more expensive, however there are numerous benefits to the muzzle ones:

They are almost always more accurate.
It's far easier to make adjustments to the beam/unit.
They usually have easily replaced mandrels for use with different calibers.
There is no need to disassemble components from the weapon in order to use it (other than sound suppressors).

And... Most of the military oses even have a dry-fire mode that allows you practice your shots with the help of an assistant who sits by the target & marks the point where the laser "blips" each time you drop the hammer.

MA2Betting the one you have is in a whole different league than many commercial ones though.

I tried a muzzle version(think it was Bushnell) with plans to use it for initial bore site and quick check after zeroing and before hunting trips, but rotating it in the muzzle had it drawing a 2"-3" diameter circle at down the hall distance.

Ended up with a chamber version that seems a little better, but I am going to say it is still toy level compared to yours.

Sent from my SM-A125U using Tapatalk

MA2_Navy_Veteran
02-02-23, 19:35
Here is a rather decent article from RECOIL which I think does a great job covering this topic (various types of bore sights) which I think is probably best to help the OP make up his mind as to how to go, however, the article doesn't cover the military model (AN/PEM-1) which I previously mentioned. & just for reference, usually runs between $75-@$250 off Egay so keep that in mind as even though the LBS-300 uses a visible red laser - it runs off a standard AA battery, and is still an outstanding muzzle bore sight system.

https://www.recoilweb.com/bore-sight-buyers-guide-128836.html