PDA

View Full Version : Took my 03A3 to the Range

AndyLate
02-03-23, 20:34
I have a 1919 1903 from my Dad and a 1930 1903 with a WWII barrel, bolt, and scant stock that I put together from a barreled receiver. Both are wonderful guns - I consider the 1930 rifle my "shooter" since the other has sentimental value.

Last weekend I picked up a 1943 (correction, probably January 1944 with a 12-43 barrel) Remington 1903A3 at the CMP South Store (Anniston, AL). As nearly as I can tell, it is correct with the exception of the trigger guard and lower band (both are Remington but parked, not blued).

I made a quick range trip with the rifle today and am very impressed so far. I remembered targets but not a holder so was pretty much limited to shooting clay pigeon fragments left on the 200 yard berm. First shot - fragment gone. Thought it was a pretty lucky shot and did not expect to do it again. I was wrong - 5 rounds of M2 ball, 4 chunks obliterated. Reload, repeat, etc.

Lighting was near perfect with the sun at my back shooting from shade at a well lit berm, but that is much better than I normally shoot iron sights. You could say I am a fan of the rifle and recoil was not an issue wearing a jacket that kept me warm at 34 degrees.

Its not much to look at compared to some, but I an definitely happy I bought it.

https://i.imgur.com/GnRL1Zp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1AnDDbL.jpg

P.S. I know I need to shoot it for actual groups.

RHINOWSO
02-04-23, 08:04
Sweet... my Uncle had an '03 Springfield that he's shoot for us at the range when taking us plinking with the 22LRs. We were <15 at the time and no one had the courage to try the Thirty-augh-Six. But we'd hold our ears and laugh to high heaven after the BOOOOOOM when he'd fire one of maybe 5-10 shots per range trip. One of his sons has the rifle now and I'm sure it hasn't been fired in the 30+ years since he died, which is a shame.

Krazykarl
02-04-23, 08:07
I have 2 O3A3 rifles. Very handy rifles. I added a USMC front sight loop many years ago. It helped reduce the front sight glint and took some of the bite off that sharp point when stored in the safe.

https://1903partshop.com/shop/u-s-m-c-1903-a3-springfield-front-sight-hood-exact-reproduction-usa-made-usmc

AndyLate
02-04-23, 08:31
I have 2 O3A3 rifles. Very handy rifles. I added a USMC front sight loop many years ago. It helped reduce the front sight glint and took some of the bite off that sharp point when stored in the safe.

https://1903partshop.com/shop/u-s-m-c-1903-a3-springfield-front-sight-hood-exact-reproduction-usa-made-usmc

Thank you for the link. They also have the best price I have seen for the blued band I want.

Andy

rainman
02-05-23, 15:07
Its not much to look at compared to some, but I an definitely happy I bought it.

Sorry, I beg to differ; that's beautiful in it's own right. Congrats, and thank you for saving a piece of America.

-Rainman

m1a_scoutguy
02-06-23, 22:07
That sounds like a great day Andy! I find it pretty amazing that these 80yr old rifles shoot as they do. I have my expensive "precision" rifles that can shoot one hole, but there is something about shooting and hitting stuff with iron sights on these old war relics @ distances & sometimes great distances that brings a smile to my face and many others for that matter. I think I posted this someplace else but I mean really, this is a target I shot with my stock Remington 1903A3 that is turned into an A4 with a Weaver 10X scope from 1955. Traditional mount and rings and from a solid rest @ 100 yards with my 68 yr old eyes! Anyways not bad and like I say these guns always make me smile. Congrats on your great shooter, have fun with it, and keep us posted. I hear ya say it was 34 degrees for ya, I'm looking @ 40 on Friday with no rain or snow so I'm hoping to get out and shoot, I'll keep ya posted!
https://i.imgur.com/1YperdL.jpg

AndyLate
02-07-23, 07:16
I definitely need a range trip to put the 03A3 on paper and see how it groups. I will bring my '03 with a SA 42 barrel along too, they will make for an interesting comparison.

I shot this 20 shot group with the '03 using 59 year old surplus M2 (bull is 2") at 50 yards. I bet if I tighten up I could get decent groups at 100.

https://i.imgur.com/E76paVa.jpg

Andy

m1a_scoutguy
02-07-23, 12:09
I definitely need a range trip to put the 03A3 on paper and see how it groups. I will bring my '03 with a SA 42 barrel along too, they will make for an interesting comparison.

I shot this 20 shot group with the '03 using 59 year old surplus M2 (bull is 2") at 50 yards. I bet if I tighten up I could get decent groups at 100.

https://i.imgur.com/E76paVa.jpg

Andy

Oh, yea dude, that's outstanding! And that's surplus, mine was reloaded ammo with a little tweak here and there, LOL Yea bring them both and compare, I'm sure the results will be similar and will be more than adequate considering the rifles. It's always fun comparing other people's rifles & groups & it really shows how consistent these old rifles really were. Keep it up & enjoy.
Also depending on the Surplus, you have, if it's the Greek HXP put it in your press and just seat/push the bullet in a tiny, tiny bit, and you will hear the sealant "crack". It's so old and hard that doing this will tighten up your groups even more, I had a noticeable difference when I did it with mine. I have never tried it with my LC stuff but with the HXP it is a big help.

AndyLate
02-12-23, 04:05
Sweet... my Uncle had an '03 Springfield that he's shoot for us at the range when taking us plinking with the 22LRs. We were <15 at the time and no one had the courage to try the Thirty-augh-Six. But we'd hold our ears and laugh to high heaven after the BOOOOOOM when he'd fire one of maybe 5-10 shots per range trip. One of his sons has the rifle now and I'm sure it hasn't been fired in the 30+ years since he died, which is a shame.

The first centerfire rifle I ever shot was an '03 Springfield, "sporterized" by cutting the forend and removing the handguard and bands. I was probably not much taller than it was and we shot mostly surplus ammo old enough to occasionally hang fire. I learned pretty quickly not to be hasty about relaxing if a round didn't fire - you don't want to give a steel buttplate a head start. Still love the Springfields.

Andy

Krazykarl
02-12-23, 06:28
My dad moved to Oregon in 1968. His first hunting rifle was a sporterized 03/a3. It had a shortened after market stock that was fitted to the entire action and barrel with a fiberglass epoxy. The barrel and action was blued. The scope was a weaver K4 made in Texas. In 1992 he upgraded to a custom 375hh on a Whitworth action and gave me the old 3006. I free floated the barrel and began my own experimenting with handloads. My dad was dedicated to Imr 4320 and speer 180gr bullets. I found that the 2 groove barrel loved 3006 accelerators, AA3100 was a preferred powder, growing up in Bend Oregon I had walk in access to the Nosler pro shop and cases of factory second ballistic tips shot extremely well.

But, like any teenager. Faster is better. So the rifle went off to the same gunsmith who sold him the rifle in 1968 and built the 375hh. The old O3a3 came back with a Douglas premium in 3006 AI, a trued action, timney trigger, and a beautiful stock made from blond Oregon maple. The weaver k4 long died and was replaced with a leupold. As the rifle sits today it is a sentimental collection from men long dead. I still use it on High Desert mule deer. My current load is Sierra 180 GK with IMR 4350 producing 2910 fps.

Krazykarl
02-12-23, 06:36
My other O3A3 is an all original 1943 Remington. It too is a 2 groove with scant stock. The upper hand guard is cracked so as a college kid I repaired it with epoxy. I am currently playing with some original FA 1932 manufacturered FA70 .30 caliber primers. Using IMR 4064 and Hornady 150 FMJ. I am still conducting science and will get some chronograph numbers once winter goes away. But, last month I fired 40 rounds of those evil corrosive primers. With a hot and fouled barrel I put 5 bullets into 1.5 inches. So far so good.

m1a_scoutguy
02-12-23, 15:10
My other O3A3 is an all-original 1943 Remington. It too is a 2 groove with scant stock. The upper hand guard is cracked so as a college kid I repaired it with epoxy. I am currently playing with some original FA 1932 manufactured FA70 .30 caliber primers. Using IMR 4064 and Hornady 150 FMJ. I am still conducting science and will get some chronograph numbers once winter goes away. But last month I fired 40 rounds of those evil corrosive primers. With a hot and fouled barrel, I put 5 bullets into 1.5 inches. So far so good.

Ah, that's very cool! I actually have like 1500 older Winchester primers and when I contacted them, they said that yes, they were corrosive. I can't bring myself to dispose of them, so I will keep them in a cool dark place, LOL Shooting them out of a bolt gun would not be an issue, just clean them after you finish, I wouldn't use them in my M1s cuz its more of a pain to clean with the gas system and all. It's 45 degrees and sunny up my way today and really wanted to hit the range but just couldn't get motivated, still, Feb and it's gonna get crappy again but it's supposed to be 55 then 60 degrees on Wed/Thursday so I will pick one of those days. Keep us posted on how she keeps shooting I'm intrigued by those older corrosive primers' performance.

G woody
02-13-23, 15:57
A major burden to be caretakers of those fine old rifles. Hug um & love um. I'm in envy !!

AndyLate
02-18-23, 15:50
Hit the range again today. Brought the 1903A3, my mixmaster 1903, and 2 M1s. Shot just over 200 rounds, roughly 140 through the M1s and 60 through the bolt action rifles.

It is significantly easier for me to shoot an M1 than either of the 1903s. I have a heck of a time finding those skinny front sights against the targets. The 'A3 is better with its larger peep closer to the eye, but both are challenging.

The A3's stock seems noticeably shorter than the scant (semi-pistol grip) stock on my 1903 or the M1. Both bolt rifles seem to have a tad more recoil than the M1s, but they don't really thump too bad. You have to remember not to wrap your thumb around the grip on the '03s unless you enjoy hitting yourself in the nose.

The bolt guns and my chromed late production M1 ran fine, my 1943 Garand seemed a little picky about feeding the 6th round occasionally. I need to look at it.

They are not cheap to feed, but I had a lot of fun!

Andy

Krazykarl
02-18-23, 16:00
Andy,

What ammunition are you using?

AndyLate
02-18-23, 17:24
Andy,

What ammunition are you using?

Surplus M2 ball.

Not a great pic:

https://i.imgur.com/W6cH2Qp.jpg

Andy

mark5pt56
02-19-23, 05:34
AL, if you reload, try to find H4895 and look at Hodgdons reduced load data with H4895, makes it easy on the shoulder. Nice rifles!

AndyLate
02-19-23, 06:48
AL, if you reload, try to find H4895 and look at Hodgdons reduced load data with H4895, makes it easy on the shoulder. Nice rifles!

I do reload and need to quit being lazy about it. I have a couple pounds of 4895 and some 4064 as well. Since the ranges I have easy access to are limited to 200 yards, I have been thinking about the 125 gr service rifle loads as well as the standard 150 gr.

Andy

mark5pt56
02-20-23, 06:37
Those reduced loads with H4895 make you laugh each time as they are mild, I recall getting a .308 bolt going 21-2200 fps with a 125 pro hunter for my daughter when she first started. Plus it makes the whole experience enjoyable without getting hammered.

AndyLate
02-20-23, 07:49
Even though I never felt like I was getting beat up, I am a little surprised that I was neither bruised or more than vaguely stiff yesterday or today. Thats a lot more 30-06 than I usually shoot in a day. I wasn't even flinching noticeably at the end when my '43 Garand decided it was done for the day and stopped feeding.

Andy

m1a_scoutguy
02-20-23, 16:59
I do reload and need to quit being lazy about it. I have a couple of pounds of 4895 and some 4064 as well. Since the ranges I have easy access to are limited to 200 yards, I have been thinking about the 125-gr service rifle loads and the standard 150-gr.

Andy

Hey Andy, get going, LOL I use H4895 for my M1s and IMR4064 for my 1903A3 rifles. 4064 is easier to find when the need arises, H4895 is pretty tough still, although I have multiple LBs of both powders. I have used the 125 Speer TnT bullets with great success in my M1a but never thought much about them for my M1s or 1903A3 rifles, I may dig them out and have a look. I use 168/175s out of my bolt guns but shoot mostly 150FMJs out of my M1s. No need really to put the extra effort of a match load into what I do but they do help when I have done it. There are other 125 bullets but I always liked these: https://www.speer.com/bullets/
The previous post when I posted the target that is with IMR4064, shoots pretty well. I guess I could/should try the H4895 but I really like it in my M1s and hate burning it up in "working" up a load when I have a decent enough one now, LOL I shot my 1903A4 the other day and it shot good as usual but I didn't take any good pics of the targets, silly me! Not sure where you get your data from and the internet is always a good starting point for sure and that's where this is from ( https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/m1-final-data.pdf ) I printed this off and put it in my current book, I like the Hornady newer books cuz they have Service Rifle Data, always nice having it right in front of ya. I have some old info from either the CMP Forums or one of the other surplus places that have loading info, I can't find it online @ the moment but I'm pretty sure I have it printed off and if I find it, I'll make a copy and send it to you if ya want, or just scan & post it here, it's good stuff. Well keep us posted on the old girls & I will do the same. We are running into some crappy weather for a bit so my range days will be few for a while but will update as the days roll on, Happy Shooting.

AndyLate
03-05-23, 08:53
Just an addendum - my 1903A3 clearly has a 2 groove barrel. I don't know how I was not able to tell before. For what is worth, CMP guaged the muzzle at 1 and throat at 1+.

Andy

Krazykarl
03-05-23, 10:37
Tuesday my 2 groove 1943 O3A3 will be going out again. Looking forward to it!!